• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure I noticed you said your budget was in pounds so I selected pcparpicker UK. Let me know if that's a problem.
IDK could you change it , cause it may be cheaper for me in the end and on my screen it said euro like the euro sign

Y-L

Smash Champion
And i want to thank you again for everything:]:)
Ooh, I'm sorry I'm an idiot and I thought that was pounds. I'll create you a more budget build. That's about $750 and I think the uk pcpartpicker is the one to use. Or should I use Germany? Let me know.. sounds like Germany would be better.

Last edited:

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
Ooh, I'm sorry I'm an idiot and I thought that was pounds. I'll create you a more budget build. That's about $750 and I think the uk pcpartpicker is the one to use. Or should I use Germany? Let me know.. sounds like Germany would be better.
Yeah i think it would.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Here's a build that doesn't have a video card but you don't need one if you're only playing Dolphin, you could always buy a video card later on too. The integrated graphics in the CPU should be good for 2X IR in Dolphin.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/3R2Gz

Personally I would go with this as I would prefer a strong processor rather than a cheaper one with a better video card because you can always add in a new video card later while CPU is very difficult to upgrade. Also fast CPU is more important than video card in Dolphin and for video encoding.

Here's a build that's cheaper but includes a video card. Get this if you want a more powerful video card (perhaps for other games).

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/3R2Zo

Again these builds do not include an optical drive (disc drive) or OS or keyboard mouse, you can always add that later or maybe you have this lying around.

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
Here's a build that doesn't have a video card but you don't need one if you're only playing Dolphin, you could always buy a video card later on too. The integrated graphics in the CPU should be good for 2X IR in Dolphin.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/3R2Gz

Personally I would go with this as I would prefer a strong processor rather than a cheaper one with a better video card because you can always add in a new video card later while CPU is very difficult to upgrade. Also fast CPU is more important than video card in Dolphin and for video encoding.

Here's a build that's cheaper but includes a video card. Get this if you want a more powerful video card (perhaps for other games).

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/3R2Zo

Again these builds do not include an optical drive (disc drive) or OS or keyboard mouse, you can always add that later or maybe you have this lying around.
Ok thanks but could you add a good video card cause i want to buy it all at once. And i want to thank you for everything again. When i do start making vids ill defenitly credit you.:)))

Mida

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
MIDA#109
3DS FC
1934-1759-0050
does the md5 checksum have to be the exact same as it is in the OP? because i followed every step and mine came out as ac9d121110fa611aa300a04249de6b13

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ok thanks but could you add a good video card cause i want to buy it all at once. And i want to thank you for everything again. When i do start making vids ill defenitly credit you.:)))
The second build I put in there has a good video card. Keep in mind that without the video card in that first build the CPU has integrated graphics that will run fairly decently, and unless you're planning on playing pc games they will get the job done. For video processing and Dolphin (Dolphin requires almost no video card power, it's almost entirely CPU), you'd be better off with the first one.

The second build has a weaker CPU (it's still great for Dolphin, but not as much for other things and it's not overclockable), but has one of the best video cards. This will let you play pc games in high resolution and play Dolphin with 4x IR + AA however you might not be able to play some of the more demanding games. Both builds are very good though.

Y-L

Smash Champion
does the md5 checksum have to be the exact same as it is in the OP? because i followed every step and mine came out as ac9d121110fa611aa300a04249de6b13
Yes, the md5 checksum has to be the exact same for the PM iso. If it's not the same something is wrong.

1) is your brawl iso 7.92gb? Is it NTSC? PAL will not work and scrubbed iso will not work.

2) If your brawl iso is correct then you must have built wrong and I would retry. Make sure you used the homebrew full set.

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
The second build I put in there has a good video card. Keep in mind that without the video card in that first build the CPU has integrated graphics that will run fairly decently, and unless you're planning on playing pc games they will get the job done. For video processing and Dolphin (Dolphin requires almost no video card power, it's almost entirely CPU), you'd be better off with the first one.

The second build has a weaker CPU (it's still great for Dolphin, but not as much for other things and it's not overclockable), but has one of the best video cards. This will let you play pc games in high resolution and play Dolphin with 4x IR + AA however you might not be able to play some of the more demanding games. Both builds are very good though.
So just to be clear i could play a 4 player netplay or offline 60 fps? And do other emulators work well like desmume or project 64?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
So just to be clear i could play a 4 player netplay or offline play 60 fps?
Project M/Brawl? Absolutely. Brawl is one of the most lightweight games. If that's all you want to play, the second build will probably suit you better. The video card will let you play with 4x IR and AA as opposed to 2x with no AA. As well, NVIDIA cards have a program called shadowplay which is very low profile video recording software that will not hinder gameplay at all. Basically build 1 has future proof CPU, build 2 has future proof GPU (video card). Both builds will run brawl no problem at all. The second build's CPU is very good for Dolphin but no so much multithreaded tasks compared to the first build. So both are very good for Dolphin.

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
Project M/Brawl? Absolutely. Brawl is one of the most lightweight games. If that's all you want to play, the second build will probably suit you better. The video card will let you play with 4x IR and AA as opposed to 2x with no AA. As well, NVIDIA cards have a program called shadowplay which is very low profile video recording software that will not hinder gameplay at all. Basically build 1 has future proof CPU, build 2 has future proof GPU (video card). Both builds will run brawl no problem at all. The second build's CPU is very good for Dolphin but no so much multithreaded tasks compared to the first build. So both are very good for Dolphin.
Well i'll use it mostly for PM but i'd also like to play gcn games and other games for ds, n64, snes. But if I buy the graphics card from build 2 and buy the parts from build 1 how will it handle games such as titanfall, FIFA or cod?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Well i'll use it mostly for PM but i'd also like to play gcn games and other games for ds, n64, snes. But if I buy the graphics card from build 2 and buy the parts from build 1 how will it handle games such as titanfall, FIFA or cod?
Depends on the gc game (Zelda Twilight Princess is impossible to have full speed all the time even with best processor for Dolphin [the one in the first build]) but most games will run fine. DS, n64, SNES no problem.
To be honest the second build will probably run all of those games well because most PC games depend on the GPU rather than CPU and the second build has a good GPU.

Mida

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
MIDA#109
3DS FC
1934-1759-0050
Yes, the md5 checksum has to be the exact same for the PM iso. If it's not the same something is wrong.

1) is your brawl iso 7.92gb? Is it NTSC? PAL will not work and scrubbed iso will not work.

2) If your brawl iso is correct then you must have built wrong and I would retry. Make sure you used the homebrew full set.
gave it another shot, same hash :\ my brawl iso's NTSC and 7.92 gb (filesize according to windows explorer, not dolphin) i used the homebrew fullset too.

Y-L

Smash Champion
gave it another shot, same hash :\ my brawl iso's NTSC and 7.92 gb (filesize according to windows explorer, not dolphin) i used the homebrew fullset too.
Well the most common mistakes are that you didn't replace rsbe01.gct or you forgot the projectm folder/used the wrong one. Can I get your brawl md5?

MV-Skipper

Smash Cadet
Depends on the gc game (Zelda Twilight Princess is impossible to have full speed all the time even with best processor for Dolphin [the one in the first build]) but most games will run fine. DS, n64, SNES no problem.
To be honest the second build will probably run all of those games well because most PC games depend on the GPU rather than CPU and the second build has a good GPU.
OK and is the motherboard the gpu or what?

Mida

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
MIDA#109
3DS FC
1934-1759-0050
Well the most common mistakes are that you didn't replace rsbe01.gct or you forgot the projectm folder/used the wrong one. Can I get your brawl md5?
sure! f95016bdcb2410c997849fdbeef4629c

swiftwinter

Smash Rookie
What exactly determines how good a netplay session runs? Like if the other person has a bad computer or bad internet will we both lag even if I'm the host? I played against someone in Toronto and I'm in the Maritimes and it was 100% smooth 60FPS every game with no drops at all with 4 buffer. Then I play against my buddy who lives like 10 mins away from me and the buffer needs to be set high as hell to make the game stay at 60FPS, and 9/10 times when playing against a random in netplay, this same thing happens and the FPS will drop to 55 constantly lagging and making it so hard to play, and I'm pairing with people who are also in or around the Toronto area. And every single time I am hosting the game. I thought if I hosted the game the performance is solely determined by my internet, but I'm clearly wrong.

That guy21

Smash Rookie
YL earlier you mentioned something about a scrubbed ISO. What is the difference between a scrubbed and a normal ISO?

Y-L

Smash Champion
What exactly determines how good a netplay session runs? Like if the other person has a bad computer or bad internet will we both lag even if I'm the host? I played against someone in Toronto and I'm in the Maritimes and it was 100% smooth 60FPS every game with no drops at all with 4 buffer. Then I play against my buddy who lives like 10 mins away from me and the buffer needs to be set high as hell to make the game stay at 60FPS, and 9/10 times when playing against a random in netplay, this same thing happens and the FPS will drop to 55 constantly lagging and making it so hard to play, and I'm pairing with people who are also in or around the Toronto area. And every single time I am hosting the game. I thought if I hosted the game the performance is solely determined by my internet, but I'm clearly wrong.
If you or your opponent has a bad computer and lags then that will cause both of you to lag so you don't desync. If you have bad ping then that will cause you to lag. Sounds like one of you has bad hardware.

Y-L

Smash Champion
YL earlier you mentioned something about a scrubbed ISO. What is the difference between a scrubbed and a normal ISO?
Scrubbed has no access to subspace emissary basically it's not the full iso, just the multiplayer part.

swiftwinter

Smash Rookie
If you or your opponent has a bad computer and lags then that will cause both of you to lag so you don't desync. If you have bad ping then that will cause you to lag. Sounds like one of you has bad hardware.
Alright thanks for the info. One more question: will it be more laggy if there are more players in a room like 3-4?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Alright thanks for the info. One more question: will it be more laggy if there are more players in a room like 3-4?
Yeah it will. I believe Netplay actually adds the pings of the extra players so it will be a lot more laggy.

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
I'm really not sure why but for some reason when trying to get an ISO it says that it cannot open the file as an archive. I own a legal copy of brawl, and everything else downloaded fine, but I cannot seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm really not sure why but for some reason when trying to get an ISO it says that it cannot open the file as an archive. I own a legal copy of brawl, and everything else downloaded fine, but I cannot seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
This happens while running the builder? Try running it as administrator.

Droß

Smash Apprentice
I'm getting an error upon trying to load Project M that says "Game tried to reload a title that is not available in your NAND dump. TitleID 0000000100000002. Dolphin will likely hang now".

Sometimes the game will load, but only if I don't make a save file for it. What's up with this? I built the ISO for PM and the MD5 came out identical, and I have the 4.0-652 Dolphin version which was the newer one of the two recommended.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Alright, I think my terminology may be incorrect. I'll try to redownload one because I can't even move this one for some reason. Thanks for the replies though.
You can't move a file if it's open in a program. If closing out programs doesn't work restart your computer.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm getting an error upon trying to load Project M that says "Game tried to reload a title that is not available in your NAND dump. TitleID 0000000100000002. Dolphin will likely hang now".

Sometimes the game will load, but only if I don't make a save file for it. What's up with this? I built the ISO for PM and the MD5 came out identical, and I have the 4.0-652 Dolphin version which was the newer one of the two recommended.
That error means Dolphin is trying to load a game which you do not have. For Netplay (the version of Dolphin you are using is designed with Netplay in mind) you cannot have a save file or the game will desync with the other player because you will essentially have different games with different save files. To have a save file download a different version of Dolphin (recommended stable 4.02 or developer build from master branch) and use that version when you choose to play with a save file and use 4.0-652 for Netplay (without save file). Using different versions of Dolphin will let you have a save file on one version and no save file on the other.

Top Bottom