• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: I (Would You Play It?)

Would you play "Project Isai" if it existed?

• Yes

Votes: 43 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Kati

Smash Lord
Project 64 sadly is already another project in existence... :(

So we have to have another name. If it's true that we could find 64 models it'd be kinda cool, but I'm considering trying to keep "true to the era" if possible by not having characters that didn't exist before the N64 era (which only means messing with like, 4 characters) and trying to make somes moves for them to make more sense for games of the era if possible. (Though this is the dream of if I can fill the entire Brawl roster.)

Totally removing it would be weird, but I'm not against shortening it.
names don't really matter, and Project:_______ is a pretty silly cliche in the smash community now.

Start with the 12, but if the team actually succeeds and makes a stable build that accurately replicated ssb64 gameplay, then go for the new comers after.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
We could just call it "Super Smash Bros 64", as that is not actually a name of a game yet.

Madao

Anyone figure out how to change the physics yet? I mean changing the whole algorithm to make it more like SSB64.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Anyone figure out how to change the physics yet? I mean changing the whole algorithm to make it more like SSB64.

That one might be more difficult, we need to know what 64's is like so we know what to change it to, then learn how.

I can at least do some research on the how.

Edit: I'd better mention that there's no guarantee I'll get results though, mayhaps we ask the Project M team how they handled it? Maybe if we're lucky someone has already done it too and it's just hidden somewhere.

Madao

That one might be more difficult, we need to know what 64's is like so we know what to change it to, then learn how.

I can at least do some research on the how.

Edit: I'd better mention that there's no guarantee I'll get results though, mayhaps we ask the Project M team how they handled it? Maybe if we're lucky someone has already done it too and it's just hidden somewhere.
I've been debugging the game and writing down formulas / code for the past few weeks for SSB64. I've got some of the stuff down like angle, velocity, knockback, hitstun, hitlag (shield stun seems to use the same numbers as hitlag), Z-Cancelling, Crouch Canceling, etc. What I'm missing right now is stuff like angle change after bouncing off the wall. I also don't know how they alter the angle when you ground spike someone with a move that isn't a -90º angle. Looking at the sine and consine formula in assembly is a disaster! I will probably need to study some math if I ever hope understand all that code!

I can continue collecting more information, but it would be nice if other people helped as well. Also, I'm sure I'm forgetting some obscure mechanics, so I'd be greatful if anyone pointed out anything important that I haven't mentioned.

One last thing is, I won't be able to spend as much time on this stuff like I've been doing in the past few weeks, so let me know whether I should invest my time into learning more about SSB64 or Brawl? I won't be able to study both games extensively.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'd say be the grand master of Smash 64, we need to know EVERYTHING possible for this to work and feel as close to 64 as possible.

I'll try and write up a master list of things that 64 had that Brawl didn't.

Also, a ton of the old threads recommend trying to use the physics in brawl+, perhaps we can find good stuff there to start with.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I've been debugging the game and writing down formulas / code for the past few weeks for SSB64. I've got some of the stuff down like angle, velocity, knockback, hitstun, hitlag (shield stun seems to use the same numbers as hitlag), Z-Cancelling, Crouch Canceling, etc. What I'm missing right now is stuff like angle change after bouncing off the wall. I also don't know how they alter the angle when you ground spike someone with a move that isn't a -90º angle. Looking at the sine and consine formula in assembly is a disaster! I will probably need to study some math if I ever hope understand all that code!
If you need help understanding math stuff I can help, and a number of other people here as well

Madao

So what I guess I will do is, finish up my moveset data list (it will just have the damage and knockback values, but it will include projectiles and throws). Then maybe see if I can tweak my knockback calculator to have perfect accuracy. Then I can post both, so you guys can play around with it to get a better understanding of the physics. Then I can take a break and after that, I can just take suggestions and look into anything I've missed that other people want to know.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Once I'm done doing real person stuff this week, I'll get a testing setup going. I'll try and throw some of the leftovers in there and see how it feels. Then hopefully we'll be able to know with more certainty which aspects of the physics engine are gonna be the toughest.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
When Brawl+ was alive there was a thread with all the relevant codes needed to modify stuff like hitstun and physics. I can't find it now, but I found the first attempt at recreating smash 64:

"Brawl 64"

http://smashboards.com/threads/brawl-64-dont-get-hit.294893/

We might be able to beg some people who worked on Brawl+ for the codes... Maybe.

I'm thinking of making a post in the appropriate forum and announcing the project, it may get us some help and codes faster, I just want some stuff to properly pretty it up.

Edit: ALRIGHT! I'm making a wonderful master thread. I would like the names of anyone who wants to support the project and anyone who is willing to put time in to actually program so I can get those into the OP as soon as possible. I want to make this become a reality. I think you guys will like the thread, I'll get a link here when it's done.

Kati

Smash Lord
I agree with every point in your proposal, but what do you mean by implementing a teleport?

Madao

Count me in. I'll be the grand master of Smash 64 :).
When it comes to porting over Smash64 formulas, we will need to make sure that the measurements are correct. For instance moving the X position of a character by 1000 may yield significantly different results. So we need to double check on that stuff if we want to have an accurate copy. In the meantime I will studying math and other subjects and when I'm free I'll be collecting data and finishing my smash 64 work.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Count me in. I'll be the grand master of Smash 64 :).
When it comes to porting over Smash64 formulas, we will need to make sure that the measurements are correct. For instance moving the X position of a character by 1000 may yield significantly different results. So we need to double check on that stuff if we want to have an accurate copy. In the meantime I will studying math and other subjects and when I'm free I'll be collecting data and finishing my smash 64 work.

Found this in another thread, might it be helpful?

Madao

Found this in another thread, might it be helpful?
That's the data for Japanese version, but I already have NTSC's character data.
What I'm missing is some moveset data (mostly projectile stuff), which I am working on this weekend. I'm also missing other obscure things, like wall bouncing (which I'll try to figure out soon).

What we will need are Brawl hackers, and possibly some artists too.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
That's the data for Japanese version, but I already have NTSC's character data.
What I'm missing is some moveset data (mostly projectile stuff), which I am working on this weekend. I'm also missing other obscure things, like wall bouncing (which I'll try to figure out soon).

What we will need are Brawl hackers, and possibly some artists too.

I asked for help in the thread, we can only hope some people volunteer!

mixa

Banned via Warnings
and please put some light on Congo Jungle, I don't want black characters being discriminated against once more.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
and please put some light on Congo Jungle, I don't want black characters being discriminated against once more.

I'll see what I can do, I did list that I'd like to make stages better for competition if possible, that is an easy possibility.

Also, anyone here who wants to help and is good with searching I am scouring the boards for codes to implement all of the mechanics changes for Version 0.5, if anyone can provide code for any of the sections I don't have code for yet, post it here or there.

Thanks for the help guys!

Kati

Smash Lord
No one has ever complained about lighting in P:M on Kongo Jungle. Capps, don't worry about that for now. Also, as there is no barrel in the replicated version for brawl, it is already better for competition. I made a solid form of the stage seeing as it had no ceiling collisions due to the barrel.

Stages won't be an issue for the project. Just focus on character physics and obtaining code knowledge. I see the biggest issue being landing detection. In order to achieve proper landing detection in P:M, Samus' midair jump was nullified as an unforseen consequence (or something like that). Besides her, Yoshi's brawl attributes are also a hurdle that will have to be dealt with.

Madao

No one has ever complained about lighting in P:M on Kongo Jungle. Capps, don't worry about that for now. Also, as there is no barrel in the replicated version for brawl, it is already better for competition. I made a solid form of the stage seeing as it had no ceiling collisions due to the barrel.

Stages won't be an issue for the project. Just focus on character physics and obtaining code knowledge. I see the biggest issue being landing detection. In order to achieve proper landing detection in P:M, Samus' midair jump was nullified as an unforseen consequence (or something like that). Besides her, Yoshi's brawl attributes are also a hurdle that will have to be dealt with.
I agree with you about focusing on physics and code knowledge. What's different about the landing detection? That's something I never looked into yet, so I'm interested in finding out.

Kati

Smash Lord
Brawl changed the way the game detected characters landing on stuff compared to melee. So the P:M team had to spend a gargantuan amount of time redoing the nitty gritty underlying rules of brawl's engine. I am not familiar with ssb64's technical aspects, so I'm just guessing that brawl will differ from 64 as well. But as you guys are trying to replicate all the fine details, I assume that you wish to be able to z-cancel with the exact same timing.

Iirc, melee's characters landed depending on what they were doing, whereas brawl had one central point or bone that was applied to everything. You can see this I think if you go into training with Link in vBrawl and land with a nair in slow motion. He will teleport slightly.

These are the redesigns I spoke of in the official project thread:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...ll#ByUserID=13561&Moderated=All&Moderated=All

That link should take you to Hope4newday's vault.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the landing physics changed too much between 64 and melee, so hopefully we can save a bit of work by building directly off P:M.

Also i've heard that yoshi and samus both exist in alpha stages in P:M, but have severe issues. I think yoshi's main problem is none of the devs care enough to deal with his weird mechanics, but I think samus may have some more serious challeneges.

Madao

After I'm finished with my current work (hopefully this week), I'll look into landing detection. All I know right now, is the variable that shows whether the character is in the air or not. Any extra info on landing detection would be helpful.

i...thought the idea was to make improvements on the original 64
If you mean hack the n64 rom, I don't think anyone here knows how to hack n64 roms.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Until someone reverse engineers the 64 file structure and compression algortihms, a 64 mod is pretty much impossible. Maybe it'd be possible with some extravagant GS codes, but I don't think anyone currently in the community has the skills required to do that. Perhaps if Madao makes a breakthrough, it'd be a possibility. Even then, the mod would be very imporactial to run on an actual console, as it would require an absurb amount of time entering GS codes (unless there is a shortcut I'm unaware of), flash cart ($200) or custom cart (impossible?).

I haven't given up hope, but think of it this way: if we mod brawl, samus will get MISSILES

Kati

Smash Lord
Brawl is the most moddable. It affords you the most stage, song, and if you wish, character slots. N64 models are available for every 64 veteran, and are easily modified for your custom colour desires. For instance, with this project, one could have a 64 model over every one of Samus' but that would even include her blue team colour which is not available in ssb64 unless playing on teams. Even custom sound effects are now possible.

Just look at melee. Sure, it can be modded, but has anything really been done? not to the extent that modding brawl has. From what I read when I recently got back into ssb64 four weeks ago, n64's lag and are often modded to make up for it. I'm not sure if ssb64 is known to lag during teams though, so my last point is only viable if someone can confirm.

Yoshi has severe issues. Not gamebreaking like Samus, but his egg toss works quite differently, so unless you 64 players aren't as stubborn as the melee purists, Yoshi presents a comparable challenge.

i...thought the idea was to make improvements on the original 64
Second sentence in the op dude.

Kati

Smash Lord
^Smart.

---

Capps I noticed that you already have obtained many codes. If you are missing anything in particular, I have the brawl+ codeset and could quickly search it or better yet post it if it isn't available elsewhere.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
The codes are mostly left over from the old brawl 64 projects, and a couple of the miscellaneous onces were before the days of brawlbox afaik. I'm not really in tune with the barwl modding scene though, I just kinda went where google took me.

Seems like you know whats going on up there tho. If you could find and annotated version of the Brawl+ or P:M or any big mod that would be a HUGE help. None of us really have extensive brawl modding experience, so anything to look at would be pretty helpful.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
there's easy ways to add codes to a gameshark quickly, use parallel cable, win98 and some cool kid software, all of which i have. you edit a .txt file on modern pc/phone/tablet/ANYTHING THAT EDITS .TXT and send the contents to the gameshark with old pc + flash drive + parallel cable.

but you only get 250 lines to change per gaming session and each line can have a different value depending on the address changed

non-perfect example: 250 codes in one session that start with "800xxxxx"
125 codes in one session that start with "810xxxxx"
or MIXED codes 200 "800xxxxx" codes with 25 "801xxxxx"

there are about 4 common variants of address changes for ssb64 iirc

it would probably be easier to patch a rom, test on a 64 flashcart, then patch an original cartridge with my cool kid setup

but i dunno about rom hacking

i can dump my own 64 roms and i assume patch carts as well

i got a softmodded wii i'd try this if it ever came to even pre-alpha stages

clubbadubba

Smash Master
If it ever gets to the point where a single character is holding the project back, just skip them, even if its one of the original 12.

Top Bottom