• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: Framedisplay for [U] version

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Lol nice. I underestimated the ability of scripting :) . How did you do that? When i tried making gif's from my jpg images a while back, it didn't come out so good. That's why I assumed it would be best to just do it from scratch. My method of converting jpg to gif was slow too, it took like 1 min to make 1 gif.
I use a program called ImageMagick.

The bash script is really simple.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

NBR_FRAMES=$(echo b* | wc -w)

#delay is the delay between each frames in cs, 2 is the lowest value possible
convert -delay 5 -layers optimize $(for (( i=1; $i <= $NBR_FRAMES; $((i++)) )); do echo -n b"$i".jpg \ ; done) animation.gif
That's considering every image with the hitbox display starts with the letter 'b'. I'm also using almost default settings, maybe I could get a better quality but I'll have to look into that. http://i.imgur.com/SrQBhAf.gif

I'm also curious to know what software Mixa is using to produce the GIF's.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
My gifs are done with Gyazo, it's the easiest thing I could find given image softwares scare me a bit and how I'm not versed in scripts and computer stuff.
It's a very limited option though, it wouldn't work for this project at all.

What do you guys do to make a character fall in tumbling animation? I used the item bumper, but I don't think that's a good method at all.
I could record all the remaining get-up attacks if I have a decent method.
I don't think I'll reupload the folders with the new attack, though, except for the Samus one, which is missing other stuff.

Madao

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

convert -delay 5 -layers optimize $(for (( i=1; $i <= $NBR_FRAMES; $((i++)) )); do echo -n b"$i".jpg \ ; done) animation.gif
That's considering every image with the hitbox display starts with the letter 'b'. I'm also using almost default settings, maybe I could get a better quality but I'll have to look into that. http://i.imgur.com/SrQBhAf.gif

Thanks! Now I feel like learning batch :) . A while back, I spent like an hour or two learning how to make GIF's in gimp. I feel like such a noob now. Gimp is great if the images you use are bmp, but when I made GIF's out of jpg images, the quality was noticable worse than the jpg images.
What do you guys do to make a character fall in tumbling animation? I used the item bumper, but I don't think that's a good method at all.
I could record all the remaining get-up attacks if I have a decent method.
I don't think I'll reupload the folders with the new attack, though, except for the Samus one, which is missing other stuff.
Did you record shine cancel for Fox? I never did that yet. I usually used bumper too xD. I also used bomb before I realized bumper is more convenient. What's wrong with the bumper?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Did you record shine cancel for Fox? I never did that yet. I usually used bumper too xD. I also used bomb before I realized bumper is more convenient. What's wrong with the bumper?
I just feel the bumper messes up the camera a bit, and maybe I'm a noob, but I take some time to set it up.
I did do the shine-cancel for Fox, it's here if you wanna check it out.

Madao

I just feel the bumper messes up the camera a bit, and maybe I'm a noob, but I take some time to set it up.
I did do the shine-cancel for Fox, it's here if you wanna check it out.
Thanks. I will add shine cancel then.
I will update my table later tonight (adding camera stuff). To save you time, I will also show you how to edit the table in notepad so that you can edit the condensed table quickly.

Also for recording, I did save states right before doing moves, so I would save after getting hit.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I used the bumper as well, together with a x-position lock for Jigglypuff (shouldn't mess up with the camera if you find a good spot). And if you use your regular controller, it shouldn't be long (you can do it with the TAS input plugin as well). Ironically I didn't even bother using mine lol.

I knew about the getup attack thing from the start to be honest, but I didn't think it was too important, and frankly I don't even know how you get the different getup attack. I thought it was a matter of position (falling from left or right), but it didn't work.

Also good **** MCG, that GIF is so smooth.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yes it is important and I think we should add it lol. I was just living in denial because nobody else noticed it, but we should definitely record it (you'll have to tell me how to get it though, because as I said I don't know how).

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Decided to try it for mario and uploaded the files.

It didn't take me that long. However finals are approaching and I'll wait until every character is completed for the other GIF's. During the holidays, I could complete all the sets if you are interested.

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

Would you mind explaining me what in this code is -- what I'd copy, and what I'd change values? and where exactly to put this code in?

What I wanted to do is, once I have a set of pictures, make them into a gif. The folder search isn't necessary, I guess.

I did make a gif using ImageMagick, but it was a rather manual process (and I didn't really know what I was doing, I just copied some guide). I opened the Windows command prompt and put:

and uploaded to gfycat, which displays in both HTML5 and gif format: http://gfycat.com/BlankWhoppingCottontail

Madao

Can someone explain how to do both versions of the get up attack? As soon as I get that working, I can reupload Fox. I'm ~halfway done with Falcon, but I'm putting that on hold until next Thursday. Again I apologize for taking this long ;/ .

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Can someone explain how to do both versions of the get up attack?
Get into tumbling animation -- bumper I guess
Frame advance until the character is facing up or down -- to which way the char is facing is how the get-up atk is determined
Change its Y position to a low number (1 or something), so he'll hit the ground the next frame

What is the fastest way to import an address from one table to another?

Madao

Get into tumbling animation -- bumper I guess
Frame advance until the character is facing up or down -- to which way the char is facing is how the get-up atk is determined
Change its Y position to a low number (1 or something), so he'll hit the ground the next frame.
Thanks, I'll prolly finish Fox tomorrow.

What is the fastest way to import an address from one table to another?
You mean to make a table for a different emulator? First of all, if the emulator doesn't have static addresses, then you are pretty much out of luck and have to manually update it everytime you turn off your computer (this also means different people will have different addresses so no one can use your table without making modifications to the offsets). This applies to emulators like Pj64, PJ64k, etc.

If the emulator has static addresses, then the fastest way is to manually edit the addresses in notepad. I just control F and replace the addresses & offsets. It takes like 10 mins to replace a big table. There may be a faster way, but not that I'm aware of. There's no option in cheat engine that lets you change all of the offset values simultaneously (afaik).

If you mean you just want to use a few addresses from someone elses table (while using the same emulator), then you can just open up the table in notepad, find the part you want to copy, then paste it into your table in notepad. It's very quick.
Here's an example of copying an address from someone elses table to yours.
[collapse=Player 1 Hitstun Duration]
Code:
<CheatEntry>
<ID>253</ID>
<Description>"Player 1 Hitstun Duration"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<VariableType>4 Bytes</VariableType>
<Address>A1C804</Address>
<Offsets>
<Offset>808EC598</Offset>
</Offsets>
</CheatEntry>
[/collapse]
Sigh I would have posted my new camera addresses, but I somehow didn't save them lol. So I have to find them again ;/ .
Edit: I don't think the ID # matters, so don't worry about what number the ID ='s.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Aw, shame you didn't save those camera addresses. ):

Oh, that makes more sense. I was copying the address and not understanding what the code was about. It's very much like a project64 cheat, then. I didn't know you could open it with notepad.
And yeah, I only meant an exchange between two Mupen tables.

Madao

I figured I might as well post 2 extra camera addresses since it's quick and I got some free time today. I probably won't do camera rotation until next week, unless I manage to get things done quicker.
You should erase the Player 1 Camera Zoom and Player 2 Camera Zoom, because the names are kind of confusing. I renamed them and added 2 new addresses here. Just copy this code over the 2 camera zooms you already have.
[collapse=Camera Zoom Addresses]
Code:
<CheatEntry>
<ID>389</ID>
<Description>"Camera 1"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<VariableType>Float</VariableType>
<Offsets>
<Offset>808EC2E0</Offset>
<Offset>808EBA80</Offset>
</Offsets>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>135</ID>
<Description>"Camera 2"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Offsets>
<Offset>808EC2E4</Offset>
<Offset>808EBA80</Offset>
</Offsets>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>141</ID>
<Description>"Camera 3"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Offsets>
<Offset>808EC2E0</Offset>
</Offsets>
</CheatEntry>
<CheatEntry>
<ID>390</ID>
<Description>"Camera 4"</Description>
<Color>80000008</Color>
<Offsets>
<Offset>808EC2E4</Offset>
</Offsets>
</CheatEntry>
[/collapse]
Basically from my understanding, out of the 4, 2 of them affect player 1, and 2 of them affect player 2. Try messing around and rename them once you have a good understanding of what each address does. Now you can have a static camera though.

MCG

Smash Apprentice
I would have replied earlier but it seems the website would not let me post.

Would you mind explaining me what in this code is -- what
I'd copy, and what I'd change values? and where exactly to put this code in?
You only need the convert command to create a gif. The rest is is not necessary.

convert -delay 5 -layers optimize b*.jpg animation.gif

-delay 5 option is the delay between each frame
-layers optimize option optimizes the size (and maybe other things)
you add the frames manually, e.g. b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg
OR you replace the name of every frame by a wildcard, e.g. b*.jpg which expands to every filename starting
with 'b' and ending in '.jpg'. In my case, I used something more complicated but it's essentially a work around because of a problem I had (b*.jpg expansion were not properly sorted but I figured why it didn't work).
and finally the output file (animation.gif)

-loop 0 is the amount of time you want the animation to loop, 0 = infinity and it is the default value (which is why I didn't put it in my script)

One thing I propably should have mentionned, the code I posted used Bash because that's the shell I'm more familiar with when I have to process multiple commands. Since it's basically a one line command to create one gif, I didn't need to use a bash script. But, if you want to convert every attack into a GIF without having to repeat the command everytime, you're going to need a shell script whether it is bash, Windows PowerShell or MS-DOS.

Bash is the standard shell on Linux, is available on Mac OS X (and was ported on Windows, but I have never tried the windows version; I use bash on Linux). There is probably a Windows shell equivalent to the code I used. I changed my previous code. In the current version, you launch the script with folder paths as arguments and it's going to create a GIF for each of the folders. I can share it here and explain it if you are interested.

YES PLEASE! But if you do, make the GIF's like this: http://i.imgur.com/HiE4e2G.gif
I could do that too. It's probably 2 or 3 more lines of code. I think I still have enough space on my dropbox account to upload both versions for every character.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Oh wow that command is pretty simple actually.

Hmm just tried it and the order doesn't seem to be perfect. Two frames seem off.

If that can be fixed easily, I could totally make a few characters that way. We'll have to agree upon some fixed optimal delay though.

By the way, is this convert program installed by default on ubuntu? That's what surprised me, I thought I'd first have to install something, but no, it worked right away.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
By the way, is this convert program installed by default on ubuntu? That's what surprised me, I thought I'd first have to install something, but no, it worked right away.
I was confused by that too, by just putting "convert" it's implied you'll use ImageMagick?

Hmm just tried it and the order doesn't seem to be perfect. Two frames seem off.
I don't know what you mean exactly, but I had an issue in which b10 would come before b2, both in bulk renamer and with the convert stuff.

[collapse=Bulk Renamer putting 10 before the 2]
[/collapse]
I fixed that by making all numbers after the b have three digits: b001, b002, b003 ..., instead of b1, b2, b3 ....
That way it would only mess up if you have a move that's 4-digit long.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah because convert is the name of the program. What surprised me was that I don't remember installing image magick and I didn't know it came by default.

And yeah reconverting names would work, but it adds an extra step and the interesting part of it was how easy I thought it would be.

MCG

Smash Apprentice
I was confused by that too, by just putting "convert" it's implied you'll use ImageMagick?
Yes the convert command will use ImageMagick.

I don't know what you mean exactly, but I had an issue in which b10 would come before b2, both in bulk renamer and with the convert stuff.

[collapse=Bulk Renamer putting 10 before the 2]
[/collapse]
I fixed that by making all numbers after the b have three digits: b001, b002, b003 ..., instead of b1, b2, b3 ....
That way it would only mess up if you have a move that's 4-digit long.
Yes that's the problem.

Code:
echo b*.jpg
b10.jpg b11.jpg b12.jpg b13.jpg b14.jpg b15.jpg b16.jpg b17.jpg b18.jpg b19.jpg b1.jpg b20.jpg b21.jpg b22.jpg b23.jpg b24.jpg b25.jpg b26.jpg b27.jpg b28.jpg b29.jpg b2.jpg b30.jpg b31.jpg b32.jpg b33.jpg b34.jpg b35.jpg b36.jpg b37.jpg b38.jpg b39.jpg b3.jpg b40.jpg b41.jpg b42.jpg b43.jpg b44.jpg b4.jpg b5.jpg b6.jpg b7.jpg b8.jpg b9.jpg
And you can see that they're not properly sorted. There are two solutions. Solution #1 : Either rename every file with leading zeros (but I didn't want to change your original setup). However solution #2 implies you're using bash. Solution #2a : get the number of files, loop a number of times equals to the number of files, print the "b" + increment + ".jpg".

Code:
NBR_FRAMES=$(echo b*.jpg | wc -w); for (( i=1; $i <= $NBR_FRAMES; $((i++)) )); do echo -n b"$i".jpg \ ; done; unset NBR_FRAMES
b1.jpg  b2.jpg  b3.jpg  b4.jpg  b5.jpg  b6.jpg  b7.jpg  b8.jpg  b9.jpg  b10.jpg  b11.jpg  b12.jpg  b13.jpg  b14.jpg  b15.jpg  b16.jpg  b17.jpg  b18.jpg  b19.jpg  b20.jpg  b21.jpg  b22.jpg  b23.jpg  b24.jpg  b25.jpg  b26.jpg  b27.jpg  b28.jpg  b29.jpg  b30.jpg  b31.jpg  b32.jpg  b33.jpg  b34.jpg  b35.jpg  b36.jpg  b37.jpg  b38.jpg  b39.jpg  b40.jpg  b41.jpg  b42.jpg  b43.jpg  b44.jpg
Solution #2b : Use the sort command with -V option. Since sort has to work with newline separated words, I just use the tr command to change it to \n-separated and then back to space-separated.

Code:
echo b*.jpg | tr ' ' "\n" | sort -V | tr "\n" ' '
b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b4.jpg b5.jpg b6.jpg b7.jpg b8.jpg b9.jpg b10.jpg b11.jpg b12.jpg b13.jpg b14.jpg b15.jpg b16.jpg b17.jpg b18.jpg b19.jpg b20.jpg b21.jpg b22.jpg b23.jpg b24.jpg b25.jpg b26.jpg b27.jpg b28.jpg b29.jpg b30.jpg b31.jpg b32.jpg b33.jpg b34.jpg b35.jpg b36.jpg b37.jpg b38.jpg b39.jpg b40.jpg b41.jpg b42.jpg b43.jpg b44.jpg

If that can be fixed easily, I could totally make a few characters that way. We'll have to agree upon some fixed optimal delay though.

If you have ubuntu installed, it's great since you can actually use my scripts. I'm not sure if ImageMagick is installed by default. Maybe you installed something else that needed it and through dependancies it got installed? Anyways, since it's in the default repository, it's only "sudo apt-get install imagemagick" away.

This is the most recent version of my script.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
#hitbox2anim

function convertJPG2GIF {
  NBR_FRAMES=$(echo b*.jpg | wc -w)
  if [[ "$NBR_FRAMES" -eq 0 ]]; then
    echo "Hitbox images needs to start with the letter 'b'; None were found in ${PWD%/*}." >&2
    exit 1
  else
    CHAR="${PWD%/*}"
    CHAR="${CHAR##*/}"
    ATT="${PWD##*/}"
    echo "Converting character: $CHAR, attack: $ATT, number of frames : $NBR_FRAMES..."
    convert -delay 5 -layers optimize $(for (( i=1; $i <= $NBR_FRAMES; $((i++)) )); do echo -n b"$i".jpg \ ; done) b.gif
    echo "Done."
  fi
}

if [[ $# -eq 0 ]]; then
  convertJPG2GIF
else
  while [[ $# -gt 0 ]]; do
    cd "$1"
    convertJPG2GIF
    cd - > /dev/null
    shift
  done
fi
If you want to test it, Sangoku, copy and paste it in any text editor. Save as "hitbox2anim". Use chmod u+x hitbox2anim to give it execute permission.

It works in two ways. First, you can move the file hitbox2anim in the folder with all the frames pictures and from the command line just type : ./hitbox2anim. It will create b.gif.

Second, you can pass the folders which contains the frame pictures as arguments. For example, if my folder which contains the yoshi images is : /FrameDisplay/yoshi/, you just have to use ./hitbox2anim /FrameDisplay/yoshi/*/. And that's it. It's going to convert every yoshi's attack into b.gif files. (They will be in the corresponding folder, e.g. /FrameDisplay/yoshi/2a/b.gif).

Once you're done, you can create a folder (mkdir /FrameDisplay/yoshi/gif/) and move every GIF's into that folder. (You need to be in the /FrameDisplay/yoshi/ folder for the following to work.

Code:
for file in ./*/b.gif; do parent="${file%/*}" && parent="${parent##*/}"; mv "$file" ./gif/"$parent".gif; done; unset parent; unset file
Every b.gif file will be moved to a /gif/ folder and will be renamed with the parent folder's name. E.g. yoshi/2a/b.gif will be renamed (and moved) yoshi/gif/2a.gif.

Things to agree on : frame delay. And if we want to have gifs to be the superposition of the hitbox display and normal display, we have to agree on the best transparency of the overlay image.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah perhaps I installed imagemagick without noticing it (either I don't remember it, or, as you said, as a dependency).

Thanks a lot for all the codes, I'll be sure to check them out!

Concerning the transparency, I don't know what others think, but I believe having a little bit more hitbox is better (like 60-40). And the delay, I guess it's better to have something slower than the actual in-game move. So 30ms or something?

Madao

Concerning the transparency, I don't know what others think, but I believe having a little bit more hitbox is better (like 60-40). And the delay, I guess it's better to have something slower than the actual in-game move. So 30ms or something?
I agree about the transparency. I usually use somewhere between 60 and 70% for hitbox. 60 fps would be somewhere ~16ms, so 32ms would be ~ half speed.

Should I upload gifs as well for Falcon and Fox? I just upgraded my internet today :) .

M!nt

Smash Champion
This is a thread for smart people, I posted now I are smart.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Lol.

I have my exam on thursday, so I'll do them after that (ie you will have them before the weekend). Now if Madao finishes them before that, it's fine too lol.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Timo are you planning to sell this package lol, not sure what's the hurry.

I reuploaded Ness and Samus with both get-up attacks, added the bomb explosion for Samus and the angled tilts and Fsmashes. For Ness I wanted to add the PK fire hitbox or lag but it doesn't have a visible hitbox, and I didn't find a way to properly do it etc.

Samus

Ness

Madao

I'm going to finish Fox and Falcon this week, so you guys don't have to worry about it.

Madao

Well I decided to post the camera tilt addresses. I will update my table later.
Code:
<CheatEntry>
      <ID>0</ID>
      <Description>"Camera Control Horizontal"</Description>
      <ShowAsHex>1</ShowAsHex>
      <Color>80000008</Color>
      <VariableType>2 Bytes</VariableType>
      <Address>A1CEEA</Address>
    </CheatEntry>
    <CheatEntry>
      <ID>1</ID>
      <Description>"Camera Control Vertical"</Description>
      <ShowAsHex>1</ShowAsHex>
      <Color>80000008</Color>
      <VariableType>2 Bytes</VariableType>
      <Address>A1CEE6</Address>
    </CheatEntry>
Sigh lol, so much to do.

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Until Captain Falcon and Fox are completed.. I also have the hitbox over regular animation GIF's done, I will upload them soon.

Last edited:

Madao

Lol I've been taking on too many tasks. I will for sure finish this week. In the meantime, can someone tell me a good input plugin for mupen-rr? I couldn't figure out how to do the middle tilts with the default plugin ;/ .

I'm halfway done with Falcon and 1 move away from finishing Fox.

MCG

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad you like it! Here's the version with the superpositon of the two images.

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
This is my pack of misc stuff for the Frame Display program.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61xy8580wiew8of/Frame Display misc 1.rar
~ Miscellanea [145 MB]

content

General / for all characters (located under the Luigi folder)
  • Jump OoS
  • Shield drop
  • Ledgegrab intangibility*
  • Respawn invincibility
  • Tech roll
  • Tech neutral
  • No tech
  • Wall collision
* see this
OoS = out of shield
DD = dash dance

Mario
  • Extended up-B

Donkey Kong
  • B Charge cancel
  • Giant Punch cancel

Link
  • Bomb explosion glitch

Samus
  • B Charge cancel
  • DD (fast and slow)

C. Falcon
  • Grabbing a Pikachu on the ledge
  • DD (fast)

Ness
  • Ledge stall with up-B
  • Ledge stall with down B
  • Ness elevator

Yoshi
  • Egg edge stall
  • Parry to DJ landing
  • Runoff turnaround down B
  • DJC platform cancel to Utilt
  • Parry
  • DJC to edgehog (Dream Land)
  • DJC to edgehog (Hyrule)

Kirby
  • F-smash to instant brick

Fox
  • DD (fast)
  • Shine cancel - no hitlag
  • Shine cancel - shield lag
  • Shine cancel - character hitlag
  • Shine cancel OoS
  • Running SH double laser
  • Running C-jump triple laser
  • Ledgehop double laser
  • Fast fall turnaround laser
  • Jab on shield (vs Pikachu's shieldgrab)
  • SH double laser comparison - high vs low
  • Perfect landing (Dream Land)

notes:

- It's a standalone version. You don't have to override any state files.
- Luigi, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff don't have any moves.
- I did this for myself, mostly, so some moves don't have a hitbox mode counterpart, or aren't displayed from beginning to finish, or don't follow the pattern estabilished in the project, or might simply not make sense to you. I'm just sharing it.

Top Bottom