• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project 64 – a Brawl mod by the 64 community

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Goal: Continue the longevity of Smash 64 by bringing it to the Wii. All the other characters besides the original 12 will be cut. Tournament legal stages will be expanded. Get it as close to the original as possible. As far as movesets go, if it isn't in the original, it's gone. The goal of the project isn't to make something like Project M. Think of it as porting the game to the Wii in order to make the game more accessible to other players (GC controllers) and use the means of hacking to create more stage diversity for Smash 64. This will also consequently bring "Smash 64" to another method of netplay; one that does not desync. This means you can run it on your computer via emulation and play without desync.

---

This is a serious project that I want to undertake. If you are interested in joining the TEAM, PM me and include your Skype ID. I'll add you and then I will add you to the Skype group dedicated to the project.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Isn't it better if you join the reality 64 thing? They could use someone who can smack some sense into them, but they supposedly have a ton of progress, and it would be difficult to compete with them once they release a demo

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
NO .

If you look at my goal and their goal, it's completely different.

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
If you want to port SSB to the Wii so you can do netplay and use GC controllers why would you mod brawl?

Sedda

Smash Champion
NO .

If you look at my goal and their goal, it's completely different.
Yes I get it, but do you honestly think people will overlook that one for this one? If it's only for the people who care about Smash 64, it's fine I guess, but if you're trying to get new players to play the game, people are going to flock over to the one with more characters and the one that has more content being pumped out more frequently

Skrlx

Smash Champion
**** THE MASSES. They ruin everything!

If you want to port SSB to the Wii so you can do netplay and use GC controllers why would you mod brawl?
You may leave if that's all you took out of the OP.

Last edited:

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
I think you should just join the Reality 64 crew, they need all the help they can get.
Also, I'd go along with this idea if you kept all the Brawl characters (or at LEAST Melee characters).
Edit:
I apologize for my inability to read.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
you know what, I can't really help with anything, but I'll offer moral support. The reality 64 thing is turning out to be some mutant smash project and they're ignoring their own goal, so **** it.

I don't know anything about programming or coding or whatever you guys call it, but is there anything I can do to help?

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
reality 64 is not in line with what ssb64 is. up/down throws, side specials, gross new characters. I support the op more than R64-though either way I am no cool kid and cannot actually help with much of anything

Vale

Smash Ace
If you want, I can check with Sluigi/other team members and possibly send you the character attributes that we have right now. It seems like it would be a decent start for converting the characters. If we've messed up and something seems wrong, having another dedicated modder, even if on a different project, would probably speed up the process of getting a 64 Brawl mod out. Let me know either way.

Isn't it better if you join the reality 64 thing? They could use someone who can smack some sense into them, but they supposedly have a ton of progress, and it would be difficult to compete with them once they release a demo
We have the character attributes down (e.g. jump height, air speed, friction, dash/run). I'm currently working on figuring out knockback values, because a simple conversion of the numbers to hex leaves us with horribly underpowered moves with no reason. I've been working on Pikachu's bair specifically, but also have a proxy of Jigglypuff's rest where it kills at 0% for me to redo when I figure this out. I've been pretty busy since graduation, which is why this part is taking so long to figure out.

I also know that we have a Link reskin to an N64 model done from a while ago. The group handles most of its conversation with calls and doesn't think to use text posts to fill me in after the fact, so I'm pretty out of the loop, especially for being a member, so I couldn't tell you what else we have done. Based on how long ago the link costume was, I'm going to assume we at least have the full color swaps for Link done.

reality 64 is not in line with what ssb64 is. up/down throws, side specials, gross new characters. I support the op more than R64-though either way I am no cool kid and cannot actually help with much of anything
I think we ended up deciding to try and remove side specials after the major backlash from that, but I guess I'd need to double check with the rest of the team. I can get back to you on that, if you'd like. I don't know if we currently know how to remove up/down throws, so it is probably something that we'd keep for initial releases, at the least. New characters aren't on the radar for us right now. The primary goal is to get the original 12 characters working and move from there. I believe that after that, we'd focus on taking some community input towards balancing the characters before adding the others. My copy definitely has a CSS character selection that restricts selections down to the original twelve.

That being said, I'm really not sure what's going on with some of the other aspects of the project. We have a lot of random stages in one of the builds; I think what happened was that after finishing all of the N64 stages the people focusing on adding stages just kept adding other ones. I also remember hearing about Dreamland's platform being moved in the R64 thread and have absolutely no idea why that happened.

~~~
Sorry for making such a long response in a thread not about R64. Like I said at the top of the post, let me know if you'd like any help and I'll see if the rest of the team is okay with me giving you character stats (or just the PAC file directly). I could also ask about the stages from the N64 game, though I'm not sure if the blastzones are entirely finalized.

Uutama

Smash Rookie
NNID
Uutama
3DS FC
1848-2005-2056
I like the idea of this project quite a bit, and I would totally help if I could. I definitely support this-- Smash 64 deserves this!

Skrlx

Smash Champion
If you want, I can check with Sluigi/other team members and possibly send you the character attributes that we have right now. It seems like it would be a decent start for converting the characters. If we've messed up and something seems wrong, having another dedicated modder, even if on a different project, would probably speed up the process of getting a 64 Brawl mod out. Let me know either way.

We have the character attributes down (e.g. jump height, air speed, friction, dash/run). I'm currently working on figuring out knockback values, because a simple conversion of the numbers to hex leaves us with horribly underpowered moves with no reason. I've been working on Pikachu's bair specifically, but also have a proxy of Jigglypuff's rest where it kills at 0% for me to redo when I figure this out. I've been pretty busy since graduation, which is why this part is taking so long to figure out.

I also know that we have a Link reskin to an N64 model done from a while ago. The group handles most of its conversation with calls and doesn't think to use text posts to fill me in after the fact, so I'm pretty out of the loop, especially for being a member, so I couldn't tell you what else we have done. Based on how long ago the link costume was, I'm going to assume we at least have the full color swaps for Link done.

I think we ended up deciding to try and remove side specials after the major backlash from that, but I guess I'd need to double check with the rest of the team. I can get back to you on that, if you'd like. I don't know if we currently know how to remove up/down throws, so it is probably something that we'd keep for initial releases, at the least. New characters aren't on the radar for us right now. The primary goal is to get the original 12 characters working and move from there. I believe that after that, we'd focus on taking some community input towards balancing the characters before adding the others. My copy definitely has a CSS character selection that restricts selections down to the original twelve.

That being said, I'm really not sure what's going on with some of the other aspects of the project. We have a lot of random stages in one of the builds; I think what happened was that after finishing all of the N64 stages the people focusing on adding stages just kept adding other ones. I also remember hearing about Dreamland's platform being moved in the R64 thread and have absolutely no idea why that happened.

~~~
Sorry for making such a long response in a thread not about R64. Like I said at the top of the post, let me know if you'd like any help and I'll see if the rest of the team is okay with me giving you character stats (or just the PAC file directly). I could also ask about the stages from the N64 game, though I'm not sure if the blastzones are entirely finalized.

Yeah, sure. Anything would help.

Madao

No one but me as of yet.
Well that's unfortunate :( .

I myself am more interested in improving N64 emulation. So I'm busy working on that. I'd still like this project of yours to happen. So I'm willing to help. I'm not much of a Brawl person, but I can help with making the characters more like how they are in Smash64 since I collected a lot of data. I could also help with formulas & other stuff.

One thing I've always wanted to do is find the animation data in smash64. If I can find it, I'd imagine it would pretty easy to port Smash64 animations over to Brawl.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If this is a total port rather than it's own thing, I can't imagine you having an easy time with copyright. SSB64VC may be inferior , but it is being sold.

I do wish you luck, but I can't help but wonder if it could be considered "soft piracy".

I also have a solution for the up/down throw thing; copy the attack data. The game will still think they have four throws, but they'll only actually have two.

I also have an idea for how to handle the Melee/Brawl nonselectable characters: you'll need slots to port Metal Mario, Giant DK, and Master Hand into, since they functioned differently back then, along with the entire Fighting Polygon Team.

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The PM team directly extracted character data values from Melee. It's really no different with this.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The PM team directly extracted character data values from Melee. It's really no different with this.
But if I'm understanding this right, this is a 1:1 remake with some extra stages while PM was a separate game. I'm kind of worried it's going to have the same fate as Chrono Trigger HD, a similar project to this that got the axe from Square Enix.

An I misunderstanding?

Last edited:

Madao

But if I'm understanding this right, this is a 1:1 remake with some extra stages while PM was a separate game. I'm kind of worried it's going to have the same fate as Chrono Trigger HD, a similar project to this that got the axe from Square Enix.

An I misunderstanding?
I wouldn't worry about it. Even if Nintendo attempts to shut it down. It will never die. As long as people are able to get the files before it gets shutdown, people can just keep reuploading.

Just look at the streets of rage remake. Sega shut it down, yet it still lived on. If you like streets of rage, you should definitely check it out.

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
I know you said the goal isn't to "be like Project M," but if there is anything Smash 64 needs, it's more characters. Imagine the roster of later Smash games but with the same engine/physics/etc. as 64?

I'd buy two.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I know you said the goal isn't to "be like Project M," but if there is anything Smash 64 needs, it's more characters. Imagine the roster of later Smash games but with the same engine/physics/etc. as 64?

I'd buy two.
I'm not on the team, but I don't think that's a good idea.

This is a remake. Not a spiritual successor.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix didn't add more characters because a larger roster would take away the arcade like essence of that game. Same case here.

I wouldn't worry about it. Even if Nintendo attempts to shut it down. It will never die. As long as people are able to get the files before it gets shutdown, people can just keep reuploading.

Just look at the streets of rage remake. Sega shut it down, yet it still lived on. If you like streets of rage, you should definitely check it out.
The difference is SORR was finished when it got the C/D and available long enough for at least one end user to get a copy. This is still in development, so all that would survive if you were ordered to stop working on it is an unfinished beta.

Last edited:

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
I'm not on the team, but I don't think that's a good idea.

This is a remake. Not a spiritual successor.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix didn't add more characters because a larger roster would take away the arcade like essence of that game. Same case here.
Opportunity to expand Smash 64 (just the character count) instead of a limited one-off roster is what I'm thinking of. It would garner more interest to a wider audience.

Just because one game does it, does not mean it cannot or should not be done a different way with another. Also, adding more characters would hardly take away from anything IMO.

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
i feel like all smash 64 needs to make it the best smash ever is more stages and a better controller
I kinda feel the same.

Sound effects and music need to be transferred over 100%, too.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I've not ruled out other characters (if any, it'd be the characters that were rumored to be in SSB), but that is not a priority and it is not being considered until this is complete.

yaowa

Smash Rookie
What help would you need specifically?

I'm all for this idea. More chars would be nice though...

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
i feel like all smash 64 needs to make it the best smash ever is more stages and a better controller
I didn't take this picture but I recommend the Hori controller.

It's way more comfy and I use it to play all the smash games (except melee) with no problems with the gc adapter. If you play PM or Brawl with one then you'll need to change the controls. Also there 's no c stick but you don't really need it.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I didn't take this picture but I recommend the Hori controller.

It's way more comfy and I use it to play all the smash games (except melee) with no problems with the gc adapter. If you play PM or Brawl with one then you'll need to change the controls. Also there 's no c stick but you don't really need it.
ya ive used a hori and they are pretty cool but i find it hard to do certain things with them like ff upair

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't a button be better than a stick? Would be faster to input than moving a stick.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Advancing back air, retreating forward air, fast fall aerials will never be as accurate with joystick only; not to mention wavesmashes, pivot smashes, crouch cancelled downn smash, easy shine bair, and BUFFER ing oos stuff. There's also dual stick di and im sure im missing more. Cstick use is basically mandatory, I guess not for some though

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I have created a Skype group for members. I have not gotten any serious signs of interest from people. People have offered to help when they can/where their expertise applies, but other than that, I have not gotten people to say that they would like to join the team.

I have talked to Bloodpeach recently (He and I were talking about making this exact mod a long time ago before Reality 64 came along), and I have secured the project his ssb64.com domain. This will be used as the project's website and other various projects I have in mind.

Lastly, I've realized that this project will further alienate me from being able to use my beloved Xbox 360 controller. Sadface.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
It's no different in the sense that Nintendo will not go after this project because it uses data from Smash 64. I'm not saying that you can actually extract values from data like they did for Melee. It's harder because it's a ROM. lol.

I personally don't have the data, but I believe our resident wizards like Madao have them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom