• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project 64 – a Brawl mod by the 64 community

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh really?

Mario's 3rd jab:

ID | Damage | Clang | Effect | Size | Angle | Knockback scaling | Fixed knockback value | Hits grounded targets | Hits aerial targets | Shield damage | Base knockback
0| 4| 0 |Normal| 75 | 361 |100| 0 |1 |1 |0| 10
1| 4 |0 |Normal| 140 |361 |100 |0 |1 |1 |0 |10

(random move please understand)

The data is pretty easy to obtain. The only hard part would be putting in janky values. Size values are quite different in Brawl. 75 or 140 would take up an entire screen.

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
Goal: Continue the longevity of Smash 64 by bringing it to the Wii. All the other characters besides the original 12 will be cut. Tournament legal stages will be expanded. Get it as close to the original as possible. As far as movesets go, if it isn't in the original, it's gone. The goal of the project isn't to make something like Project M. Think of it as porting the game to the Wii in order to make the game more accessible to other players (GC controllers) and use the means of hacking to create more stage diversity for Smash 64. This will also consequently bring "Smash 64" to another method of netplay; one that does not desync. This means you can run it on your computer via emulation and play without desync.

---

This is a serious project that I want to undertake. If you are interested in joining the TEAM, PM me and include your Skype ID. I'll add you and then I will add you to the Skype group dedicated to the project.
You can already use a gamecube or classic controller to play the virtual console version of Smash 64, but I suppose that this opens up the control options to wii remote with or without nunchuk. As for making a 1:1 replica of Smash 64 on the Wii with no additions or changes, it's utterly pointless. Nintendo already ported the original. Also, if you didn't know already, Brawl's wifi heavily desyncs, even with Wiimfi.

Madao

Almost all of the hitbox data is found. I'd say the biggest challenge will be animations! It's one thing I've never been able to find. Maybe if someone here knew how animations worked in brawl, then I could learn how they work in 64. They should be somewhat similar. I just have no leads. I already know about brawlbox, but I need to know the ingame formulas for how it generates and interprets the hex data.

For anyone interested, here's Toomai's moveset data http://smashboards.com/threads/moveset-data-thread-chart-updated-dec-04-12.329221/ . It's missing projectile and throw data.

Since Zoinkity made a decompressor, you could technically extract the data from the ROM, but finding it in RAM is easier and quicker.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
You can already use a gamecube or classic controller to play the virtual console version of Smash 64, but I suppose that this opens up the control options to wii remote with or without nunchuk. As for making a 1:1 replica of Smash 64 on the Wii with no additions or changes, it's utterly pointless. Nintendo already ported the original. Also, if you didn't know already, Brawl's wifi heavily desyncs, even with Wiimfi.
The VC version skips frames. I was referring to PC netplay.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Questions.
Will you be editing stages to make 'em less stupid and / or adding nonselectable ones? (FD, Metal Cavern, etc.)
And will you use the 64 character models?

Vale

Smash Ace
FD and Metal Cavern are already in and functional. Some changes are being made to stages (e.g. I think we have extra platforms and a rearranged version of Saffron City). I missed it, but people were complaining about a higher platform on Dreamland, but I'm hoping we have or will remove that.

I don't think we have direct ports, but we're definitely adding 64-esque costumes to the game at the least. I'm not sure if this is us not being complete with the models or a rendering error, but our current Pikachu model doesn't have a face.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Out of curiosity, how are the menus and Classic Mode being handled?

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
For some reason I always think of a balanced Saffron as being like the balanced Fourside...
Also for Sector Z, make it smaller, remove the hazards and make the gun and engine intangible.
And please actually change Hyrule...

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
For some reason I always think of a balanced Saffron as being like the balanced Fourside...
Also for Sector Z, make it smaller, remove the hazards and make the gun and engine intangible.
And please actually change Hyrule...
the only issue with Hyrule is the left slope
remove it and the stage is the best in the game.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Am I seriously the only one who thinks changing the past stages that would still be banned anyway would be completely pointless?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
This isn't happening anymore. Thanks for your interest.

Vale

Smash Ace
edit: i can't read thread titles

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
What an emo. If you were down because you saw the lack of motivation, then you should have expected that before even posting the thread lol.

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
I've had zero faith in this project from the very start as I saw it was lead by Near.

Hopefully you can prove me wrong and I'll eat my hori

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I've had zero faith in this project from the very start as I saw it was lead by Near.

one of the very few occasions when i know who you're talking about

alexkenny

Smash Cadet
Goal: Continue the longevity of Smash 64 by bringing it to the Wii. All the other characters besides the original 12 will be cut. Tournament legal stages will be expanded. Get it as close to the original as possible. As far as movesets go, if it isn't in the original, it's gone. The goal of the project isn't to make something like Project M. Think of it as porting the game to the Wii in order to make the game more accessible to other players (GC controllers) and use the means of hacking to create more stage diversity for Smash 64. This will also consequently bring "Smash 64" to another method of netplay; one that does not desync. This means you can run it on your computer via emulation and play without desync.

---

This is a serious project that I want to undertake. If you are interested in joining the TEAM, PM me and include your Skype ID. I'll add you and then I will add you to the Skype group dedicated to the project.
S0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0Oo0o0oooo more specifically what is the project and what progress does it have? I'm new to this thred... don't feel like reading the whole thing :p

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The entire project is complete. The download link is somewhere buried in the thread. I guess you'll have to read it all to find out. :awesome:

Madao

Forget what I said. We're back in business.
What made you change your mind? Also, how many people are on your team?

I might give rom hacking another shot. Hopefully my new knowledge will aid me in achieving things I was not able to do before. @ S Studstill needs to respond quicker ;/ .

Studstill

Smash Ace
Been hitting you up all day. Plus I`m really busy going around liking everything.
But Madao is right, it`s on. This project is about rebuilding 64 Smash via modding Brawl?

Skrlx

Smash Champion

Why would you lose faith because it's lead by me?

edit: 0, Madao. That's if you don't count me.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Madao is built of some kind of metal-salt alloy, the likes of which are usually drowned in gin by 6 PM.
He probably feels sorry for you, with your goals and, like, great ideas and stuff. "You fools," he`d mutter, while quitting hacking the roms forever.
Madao: 2^2390
Other people: 404 ERROR NOT FOUND
Legit, man, @ Skrlx Skrlx , what you got? I get railed on for noob status by this guy all the time; the more the merrier or somesuch.
Figured out how to make everything disappear. Oh wait, you want to mod Brawl? That soudns legit, but why not just mod VC SSB instead?

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Oh wait, you want to mod Brawl? That soudns legit, but why not just mod VC SSB instead?
I'd imagine it's because as a game, Brawl is very easy to hack, and there's a large community of people who know their way around hacking it.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
You've never played 64 have you?
I have played 64.

Unless you guys are planning to balance it out, by buffing Samus, and nerfing goddamn Pikachu, and maybe add in the original FD.

This is actually not a bad idea, because more people can experience how awesome SSB64 is >:D

Shears

Smash Master
Well brawl and 64 are polar opposites. One has combos, one doesn't have combos. Stripping brawl to just the original 12 doesn't make it 64. Each game is very different in the way it feels to play. honestly I don't care for better graphics, I don't realize they're bad unless I'm staring at brawl pm for hours. FD would be a nice addition if there was a way to replace mushroom kingdom with it (which I'm certain is a possibility but maybe not a probability). I also believe the characters are well balanced, if anything kirbys utilt needs nerfing.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Well brawl and 64 are polar opposites. One has combos, one doesn't have combos. Stripping brawl to just the original 12 doesn't make it 64. Each game is very different in the way it feels to play. honestly I don't care for better graphics, I don't realize they're bad unless I'm staring at brawl pm for hours. FD would be a nice addition if there was a way to replace mushroom kingdom with it (which I'm certain is a possibility but maybe not a probability). I also believe the characters are well balanced, if anything kirbys utilt needs nerfing.
The thing Is, brawl can easily be made into 64

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
no platforms = literally 0 reason to ever play anyone besides fox/kirby/pika

laughable stage

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
imagine fox laser camping hyrule

now remove the potential for tornadoes to **** that up

and remove any way of approaching from above/below

lesbereal

Top Bottom