• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Processor Overload: The Live Meeting of ROB Knowledge [Voting Closed]

Landry

Smash Ace
As many of you have no doubt realized, the ROB forums has been taking steps to revitalize itself recently. Thanks to people like Dull_Razer, Darth Waffles, CJTHeroofTime and a few other the ROB community now has a place to look for many aspects of ROB knowledge. This isn't enough though, and it has been decided that in order to compile all current ROB knowledge, assess the state of metagame and decide what new techniques may prove useful to competitive ROB play that a panel be assembled to discuss these issues and more. The basic idea is that the top 8-10 ROB players/forum members and one discussion moderator will join Skype conference call and we'll collectively go through and discuss all the issues we compile, as well as fielding question and answers from the rest of the community. This will all be recorded and then posted for the community to have access to late. As of now the date is undetermined as are the people who will be participation in the discussion. Please don't post here asking to be involved, the selection process will be determined late when we have a better way selecting who should be involved. The point of this thread is not merely to inform the community that this is happening, but to ask the ROB community what topics they would like to see covered during the meeting.

What: Live discussion between 8-10 panelists on all aspects of ROB

When: TBD

Moderator: Me (Landry)

Panelists:
Holy
ShadowROB
HugS
Overswarm [Confirmed]
Sudia [Confirmed]
Shockdrake [Confirmed]
Dull_Razer [Confirmed]
Jamnt0ast [Confirmed]
ChiboSempai [Confirmed]
NinjaLink

Topics:
1. ROB's matchups against the top tiers
4. The Metaknight matchup
2. Matchups that favor/don't favor ROB
3. Good/bad stages
5. Counterpicking
6. Most effective play styles
7. Techniques that are useful
8. New techniques and strats
9. ROBs current position
10. The future of ROB
More to come

So now that the panelists have all been selected we've got to keep coming up with ideas on what we need to discuss. Keep the discussion topics coming guys, I'm working to update the ones we've got already but I've been pretty busy this week preparing for a tourney. If you're a panelist who was selected I will be attempting to contact you within a few days to see if you want to participate and begin scheduling a time for the meeting.

Updated to Post #63

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
I think the most important topic at hand at the moment is the MK match up. Or, essentially, #3. That seems to be the topic on everyone's mind at the moment. We probably need to talk about counter picking for ROB in general, rather than 4&5, I find that stages are more dependent on a match up than on simply being a "good stage" for ROB. In that I mean I can think of good and bad match ups for every stage.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Matchup discussion on Meta Knight would be good. There's A LOT that could be covered on just that topic, and I feel like I've had to go over it again and again with players when there could be some content they could be directed to.

Also, discuss how adorable R.O.B. is.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
while I agree that the MK discussion should be up there, I think it should focus more on what can we do DIFFERENTLY as opposed to currently doing what we do, but better.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind being a part of it ONLY IF there wasn't enough players that are doing it. I know a bit but not as much as some on the board. I say Jcz, Dull, Sudai, HugS, OS, t0mmy, Shadow (if he'll come), and Holy (same as Shadow).

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Panelists: TBD; 8-10 spots
Man, TBD always gets everything. I suppose he does deserve it for being the best ROB out there though
When: TBD
Yeah, he's that good.

I still think we should have more people present if possible. Isn't the limit like 25 people in a conference call instead of 10? It's just easier to hear different methods that way

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
TBD obviously gets a guartanteed spot.

Too many people can turn a conference call into a cluster**** though. Just saying. A live stream with text chat would be good to have though.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
or....just using the xat chat, and then banning everyone else not part of the panel, the people banned will still be able to see the conversation.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I don't think the xat chat will work as well. Anyone who has used it before knows its gltichy as hell, and imo can distract and take away from the actual meeting. I prefer the Skype meeting more than anything, organized, and we don't miss any input at all with the lack of a scrolling text bar like a chat.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Man, TBD always gets everything. I suppose he does deserve it for being the best ROB out there though

Yeah, he's that good.
But don't forget, he's also a prick who probably won't even share any of his 'trade secrets.'

This is going to be awesome, can't wait for the recording of this.

Landry

Smash Ace
Edited (slightly). As for the whole chat room thing, the only real reason we would need a chat room is for the community to communicate with us during the live discussion, and even then only if we found a way to actually stream it. If anyone's got experience with streaming live audio let me know.

Sudai

Stuff here
I imagine it's probably easier than streaming video, which is done for a lot of tournies now days. I'm sure at worst we can do the same thing they do, just with a lack of video.

Landry

Smash Ace
Updated. Voting for panelists is now open. Pick 5 people you'd like to see on the panel. Keep in mind you can only vote once.

T0MMY

Smash Master
n00b1
n00b2
n00b3
n00b4
n00b5

alternate (if one of the n00bs doesn't show up): Sudai

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Sudai, Overswarm, Hugs, ShadowROB, Holy

For streaming the audio, you could ask one of the smashboards podcast hosts. I know they livestream their podcasts.

Landry

Smash Ace
For the record I'm gonna go with Overswarm, HugS, T0MMY, Dull_Razer and Jamnt0ast

BTW, I'll update the tally thus far later today.

Ruse

Fox
HugS, ShadowROB, Jamnt0ast, ShockDrake, & Dull_Razor.

Please note that these aren't all based on skill, but also potential, knowledge, how active in the community the ROB is, etc.

I'd vote for JC and Sudai, but I think that we need fresh blood. They're too busy playing a real
ly hacked out
game.

Landry

Smash Ace
Updated guys. I'm surprised OS only has 4 votes (even though that's still got him in a good position), I love his ROB.

Landry

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know, but I'm sure he knows a ton about ROB still. Besides, I'm pretty sure he's on record as saying he'd come back to ROB if MK gets banned. Anyways, for anyone who hasn't voted make sure to get them in. And don't forget we still need discussion topics.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Ooh this is tough...
Ummmm...

ChiboSempai
Ninjalink
Shockdrake
OS
TBD
Get it?

No particular order

Sudai and Jcaez don't hate me, it just looks as though you guys already made it.

Landry

Smash Ace
PLEASE NOTE:
This round of voting is only to select the top 6 panelists. After they are selected we will enter the wild card round where everyone will be given 4 votes to pick the final panelists. If a tie were to occur for 6th place the tie-ees would be bumped into the wild card round.
Updated the voting system a little bit. This will give a chance to people you may not have though were top 5 but still deserve to make it. Hopefully this will make the results fair for everyone. Thanks for all the support guys, the voting is going seems to be going smoothly so far.

Still looking for anyone who knows a good way to stream live audio from Skype. If I can't find someone I'll probably drop SamuraiPanda a PM because I'm almost positive he live steams Show Me Your News. One more thing, does anyone have a good way to reach players who don't check the forums very often but we'd like to have on (ShadowROB). Maybe he does check the forums but I don't think I've ever seen him around. As always, help is appreciated.

Ruse

Fox
You should let in more than five people.

We need the newer and more active members of the ROB community to get in on this.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Updated the voting system a little bit. This will give a chance to people you may not have though were top 5 but still deserve to make it. Hopefully this will make the results fair for everyone. Thanks for all the support guys, the voting is going seems to be going smoothly so far.

Still looking for anyone who knows a good way to stream live audio from Skype. If I can't find someone I'll probably drop SamuraiPanda a PM because I'm almost positive he live steams Show Me Your News. One more thing, does anyone have a good way to reach players who don't check the forums very often but we'd like to have on (ShadowROB). Maybe he does check the forums but I don't think I've ever seen him around. As always, help is appreciated.
The West Coast ROBs like Hugs and ShadowROB are more active on AiB. And actually I think ShadowROB is on hiatus from smash, so good luck getting in contact with him.

SMYN I'm pretty sure is livestreamed, and so is the Brawl+ podcast, so you could ask either of them how they do it.

You should let in more than five people.

We need the newer and more active members of the ROB community to get in on this.
Ruse is right. The new generation of ROBs who are stepping it up like Dull Razer and Shockdrake deserve a spot more than I do. Frankly, it's redundant to have both Sudai and me there. I want Sudai to take my place. I'll definitely listen live and be on the chat to offer whatever I can (assuming we get all that worked out), but you don't need both of us.

Different perspectives would be good too. Hugs and ShadowROB might be redundant because they are in the same region, but you definitely need one of them. Holy is a good one to have since he's the best ROB in Canada and they have a somewhat different smash scene, and NinjaLink would be another good one because I know he'll have a different perspective on things.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
You can never have to much of one thing JCaeser =/ I picked you and Sudai because most of the stuff I know about R.O.B. and his matchups and all that I learned from you guys. You helped better my game and I bet a few others as well. I think it'd be beest to have you on the panel imo. I already know who I'd want as the 8-10 for me so I'm fine I guess. So, do it :)

Top Bottom