• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems v.s. Ness

jfrancis04

Smash Rookie
So I use Samus and my friend uses Ness. I used to be able to beat him consistently and then one day...all of the sudden, he was better than me. We have both gotten very used to each other's styles. I would say that he wins 65% of the time now. As long as I can avoid his bat I usually do ok. He is also particularly good at EG with the bat. Does anyone have any tips to attack Ness' weaknesses?

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
**** HIS RECOVERY!!!!!!!! I dont really fight any actual ness players since they are really a myth but I would say EG with utilt and watch out for him eating your blast. I wish I could help more. >.<

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Show me videos of yourself against this Ness and I can tell you what he is doing wrong better. I'm not a Samus player, but I've played the matchup before as Ness. So if he's doing something idiotic, I'd have an easier time telling you how to kill him if i get an idea of how you and he plays.

)-(ø(\)øR

Smash Rookie
I'd Say: avoid his uair dont try to spike him when he uair you just lay bombs and get out the way in a safer place...when he's recovering if you have the time Sex kick him i f u dont, dont try to utilt his pkt2... he will prolly sweetspot the ledge or aim you a bomb will stop his pkt2 and u will have the time to fsmash him or shoot him a fully sharged shot ..dthrow to sex kick sometimes works nice on nesses ... he will prolly duck under your missiles so try mixing homing and Powers and if u missle cancel the powers missile u can get them really low so he cant duck them...if u get hit by the bat when ur crouch the knockback will be cut...so dtilt is nice here

i wish i can help you a bit

jfrancis04

Smash Rookie
I appreciate it ")-(ø(\)øR" I'll try to do some of these things and I'll see if I can't get a video for Rapid Assassin.

Mars-

Smash Champion
If your getting hit by his bat, then you aren't sweetspotting the edge. That should help you out as it is.

Neogeek23

Smash Cadet
Avoid his aerials they are surprising good particularly his bair, if you can setup what seems like an opening for him to bair and charge him, you should win if you time it right and you'll have a good combo setup from there.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
This match is pretty fun, because it's one of the few times I can pretend Psi Magnet is cool.

A large part of this match will have you using CC to punish what the Ness is doing. Ness' specials are too laggy to really try a projectile war with Samus, so you can force an approach with a good mix of missiles and blasts, just be careful if the Ness is good at bat reflections. Also know that his ftilt will kill missiles. When he approaches, you can either try to meet him with a nair, dash, jab, or tilt, or just CC and retaliate. If he approaches with fair, CC is the way to go, otherwise you can get the first hit in without too much difficulty. Samus can even easily CC PK Fire. Just be careful about using bombs for mobility on the ground, because they can be used to create fire pillars.

As much as the uair is a pain to get through, there are more reasons not to stay above Ness. His utilt has great priority thanks to the invincible head frames, but that isn't the true reason. PK Thunder juggles are a pain in the butt around mid precentages. If he isn't too great with PK Thunder, just use bombs to dodge, or air dodge and fastfall if you're near the ground.

For Ness' EG game, you need to sweetspot or come in high enough to attack. PK Flash is an option Ness can try, since bomb jumps take a while, but it's fairly easy to see where it'll go. Ness also has the option of coming out there after you, so be sure to keep an eye out for incoming sparkles. If you can't manage to knock him away, DI up and you should be fine. Also, while this holds true against most foes, do not hang on the edge for too long, or your hands will get batted.

When Ness is offstage, you can go out and attack, though Samus isn't the swiftest in the air, so that's a dangerous option. Bombs were suggested for if the Ness aims PKT2 at you, and that's good advice. If you edgehog, though, the Ness will be wide open over the level for a ledgehopped nair or a ledgedash attack. Just be sure to watch for the Ness hitting the ledge and going straight up instead of onto the stage.

I'm sure I forgot something, but I'm hungry right now, so I hope this helps you beat him so you both can keep improving!

Top Bottom