• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Interesting how FalseFalco's list doesn't have Zelda or Ness anywhere, but puts G&W in the highest possible tier.
Zelda and Ness are in the worthless tier.

Game and watch is top tier, trust me. He's like he was from melee, but now he doesn't die fast, and his moves are better. Which means he controls the ground with the buffed dtilt and strong fast tilts and smashes, and he controls the air with his really good aerials. He also recovers every time and is virtually unedgeguardable. Sounds like every other top tier I've used met.

Falco isn't as bad as I thought upon further playing with him. I think falco is the most effective of the spacies. He has an amazing projectile game, and at this stage of the game it seems like it's even better than melee. His shine ***** anything to do with projectiles so he's very good at a range, and his fsmash is too-effing-good. Seriously it hits 100% of the time. He does suffer from recovery, but that needs to get abused much more to make him drop. Fox and wolf have similar styles and I think they're around the same tier, but I've yet to see anything that convinces me Falco is worse than them.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
There's competitive Smashers in all quadrants of Calgary. I'm sure there's at least one that lives close enough to you. Keep an eye out on the forums, as people sometimes organize little 'smashfest's from time-to-time.

As for the grabbing, if they wanted to let us combo off grabs, I'm sure they would do exactly what Stevo described. However, I get them impression that they don't want to reward shield grabs too much. Without L-Canceling, a person needs to rely on good spacing if they don't want to get grabbed after their aerial approach gets blocked. If the offensive player does mess up the spacing and gets grabbed, it seems like they don't want the defensive player to rack up huge combo damage because of it.
Punish the offensive player less.
That's what those power meters in other fighting games do. Being aggressive and using a lot of moves fills the meter. They all know a pair of aggressive players makes for a more interesting game than a pair of defensive players.

The chain grabbing is inexcusable, though...
I never liked the idea in Melee and I certainly don't like it here. I can't possibly imagine that they wanted such tactics to be used, as using the same move over and over to combo into itself is against the philosophy of the game (shown by the inclusion of the stale moves effect).

That said, it seems like an easy fix. If it's so easy to fix, why wouldn't they?

All you would have to do is ask the question "Has the person I'm grabbing had any frames of control since I last grabbed him?". If false, then ask "How many times have I grabbed him without him having any control?".
Perhaps it's a part of Dedede's playstyle and character to have brutal throws. Let him toss you around like a rag-doll for the first three times... but after that, you're starting to look a bit 'cheap'. The game could easily deny a player chain-grabbing without altering the properties of any grabs.

Now, unlike Ricky, I've never programed a game before so perhaps I'm out to lunch, but it just seems like a non-game-breaking change to stop chain-grabbing is rather simple.

Perhaps that'll give us back our walled stages and stages with walk-off ledges...

kithkin

Smash Champion
It's always nice to see intelligent discussion. Why you guys picked the Calgary thread to do it in is beyond me. Is Brad on vacation? :laugh:
Nah, my computers just been having troubles and won't let me post.

I noticed a few characters can link about 3 or so grabs which is enough cause the third one you make into a combo or something GOOD.

Oh and Unreal, we're definately very friendly so yeah, just keep active and we can probably get you in something, mind if I ask how old you are? (and my msn is kithsune@gmail.com if you want it)

Oh and two points, not only made by me, so dont get in a rut or anything

1. I think samus is good, Levi and me (Levi was samus at the time) found out she has an INCREDIBLE short hop. like too good.

2. and I think G&W is very good, but probably just upper tier, not top. I dunno so much.

Oh and, it mightve just been the skill level of my opponent at it, but I've managed to get pokes and even some smash attacks in before DeDeDe grabs me again, I know its fast, but Metaknight could upsmash or even downsmash as soon as he touches the ground, so even if it was my opponents fault, it means if the person screws up AT ALL they could be punished.

That and I managed to grab them during it too =/

FalseFalco

Smash Master
KITHKIN YOU ARE NOT 15

DONT LISTEN TO HIM UNREAL, HE WILL UNREALLY **** YOU UNWILLINGLY AND IT MIGHT BE UNFORGETTABLE IF YOURE NOT CAREFUL

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Sorry if all of that was confusing unreal

Welcome to the Albertan community!

Most people here know each other pretty well, so we make lewd comments about pretty much anything. Don't feel like such a new kid, you'll fit right in!

Levi5

Smash Ace
Royboards are too slow for me now, I don't come here often now either.

Kithkin is 16, but he never said he wasn't. He just said Unreal was older than him, which is probably true becuase he turned 16 in December.

Sup unreal, which quadrant do you live in?

Vedam

Smash Rookie
Hey Albertans! I'm sort of a new Calgarian and missing my old smash circle so... add me if you wanna play some online, I'm on a lot during the week. I wasn't a melee pro but I'm no slouch ;P

kithkin

Smash Champion
I plan to play some today, basically once my dads done with the TV, if I havn't already been challenged, I'll gladly play any of you.

=D

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
New smashers everywhere! Welcome!

I'm in Edmonton, but I've been known to make a trip down to Calgary every now and then. Perhaps I'll meet some of you then.

Also...
Zero Suit Samus..sexiest character in SSB history?

I think not.

Zero Suit Samus says: "A cat is fine too"

Also I am 18

Best post evar.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Don't worry, my family ended up ganging my TV, and I only got to plan spin-dash.

Interesting matches though,

(when he was playing his mains and not being gay with his non-mains)

edit: Siiiiid, we must play, both online and when you come here.

I play bowsah now =D

kithkin

Smash Champion
And double post with good reason.

My tier list. I finally got around to making a kinda copy. (+ could go up a tier, - could go down)

Top Tier

Marth, Metaknight, Toon Link, Snake

High Tier

Falco, Wolf, Olimar, Dedede, R.O.B., Diddy Kong, Pit, Lucas

Mid Tier

Ice Climbers, Kirby, Ike(+), Ness, Game and Watch(+), Sheik(+), Zelda, DK, Pikachu, Link, Jigglypuff(-), Peach, Pokemon Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, Fox, Samus, Sonic, Wario

Bottom Tier

Captain Falcon, Bowser, Yoshi, Lucario.

I dunno, Its tentative right now.

Mostly using other peoples then editing them to what I think.

edit: Lol basically eliminating bottom tier.

edit: Updates March 24th

spindash

Smash Ace
lol, easier to be best with him.

we talked about this.

#1 bowser out of 4 is easier than #1 out of 400
And we talked about this too.

I like a challenge.

Besides. If Sonic ends up as bottom tier, look at Melee. How many people played as the bottom tier characters seriously in competitive gameplay? Not too many~ :p

kithkin

Smash Champion
Yeah alex seriously, give us your FC, aswell as put those vids up.

edit: and I'm working on matchups, Its not like I'm doing terribly, I mean, anyone whos played my bowser, do you honestly think its bad?

Top Bottom