• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It's also the first day, as of today, that this news came out. But that's an interesting question...let's ask Nintendo why they allowed Snake in the first place. :D

All I'm saying is that it is definitely possibly, and I personally think it is becoming progressively plausible.
Konami doesn't make consoles and they've made games for nintendo consoles, Plus Kojima, sakurai's friend personally asked for him to be put in

I'm sorry but I just can't see banjo ever getting into smash

Last edited:

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
Konami doesn't make consoles and they've made games for nintendo consoles

Plus Kojima, sakurai's friend personally asked for him to be put in
I see your point. Still not convinced of anything though, as Banjo-Kazooie appeared on Nintendo consoles and technically belongs to Rare. Rare has made many games for Nintendo, and we did end up seeing Diddy Kong Racing come back.

And Snake was in because Kojima asked Sakurai to put him in. What makes you think Spencer cannot ask Sakurai to put Banjo in? In addition to this, Rayman is a trophy in Smash Bros.

It's possible.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
That's just one side of the story though, Why would nintendo want to promote competing companies?
It's the same story with WayForward and Shantae. WayForward are way in support of her inclusion if Nintendo was interested. Thing with that franchise is it's still quite small, although it's very loyal to Nintendo. Still considered third party though, which doesn't help.

That said, Shantae is pretty much in my top 10 most wanted DLC, but I freely admit her slim chances.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I see your point. Still not convinced of anything though, as Banjo-Kazooie appeared on Nintendo consoles and technically belongs to Rare. Rare has made many games for Nintendo, and we did end up seeing Diddy Kong Racing come back.

And Snake was in because Kojima asked Sakurai to put him in. What makes you think Spencer cannot ask Sakurai to put Banjo in? In addition to this, Rayman is a trophy in Smash Bros.

It's possible.
Yet rare is owned by microsoft who make a competing console

All spencer said was that the idea was neat, that tweet wasn't directed at sakurai in any way and even if he did ask who's to say sakurai would agree, Snake was a favour to his friend, someone he knows not some guy who owns a competing company

It's the same story with WayForward and Shantae. WayForward are way in support of her inclusion if Nintendo was interested. Thing with that franchise is it's still quite small, although it's very loyal to Nintendo. Still considered third party too, which doesn't help.

That said, Shantae is pretty much in my top 10 most wanted DLC, but I freely admit her slim chances.
Shantae is miles in front of Banjo though mainly because she's actually had a game in god knows how many years that's on nintendo consoles, one of which was nintendo exclusive

Last edited:

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
It's the same story with WayForward and Shantae. WayForward are way in support of her inclusion if Nintendo was interested. Thing with that franchise is it's still quite small, although it's very loyal to Nintendo. Still considered third party too, which doesn't help.

All I'm saying is that it's more likely for Banjo-Kazooie now to come in simply because of that tweet that happened just this morning. Let's just see what happens.

Either way, this thread is for Krystal so I hope no one is bothered that I brought it up. If you want to support Banjo-Kazooie in addition to supporting Krystal like me, go ahead and check this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/phil...-kazooie-in-smash.397443/page-3#post-18898287 or any other pertaining to the topic.

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice

All spencer said was that the idea was neat, that tweet wasn't directed at sakurai in any way and even if he did ask who's to say sakurai would agree, Snake was a favour to his friend, someone he knows not some guy who owns a competing company
Okay it seems you're either just cynical or truly don't want Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. I mean that's fine I suppose, but think logically. It is definitely not a certainty but this tweet only happened this morning. This will definitely be brought to many others' attention. Plus he didn't just say that the idea was "neat." He said he would like that and that they've worked with Nintendo on "Rare IP before, no issues."

Whether anyone likes it or not, Banjo-Kazooie has a significantly greater chance than he/her/they did yesterday. :D

Edit: again, I acknowledge that this is a Krystal thread. No intention of any persecution for this campaign or whatever you want to call it. I truly do want Krystal in Smash Bros and I did vote for her, but I voted for some others on different devices.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Okay it seems you're either just cynical or truly don't want Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. I mean that's fine I suppose, but think logically. It is definitely not a certainty but this tweet only happened this morning. This will definitely be brought to many others' attention. Plus he didn't just say that the idea was "neat." He said he would like that and that they've worked with Nintendo on "Rare IP before, no issues."

Whether anyone likes it or not, Banjo-Kazooie has a significantly greater chance than he/her/they did yesterday. :D

Edit: again, I acknowledge that this is a Krystal thread. No intention of any persecution for this campaign or whatever you want to call it. I truly do want Krystal in Smash Bros and I did vote for her, but I voted for some others on different devices.
If I'm honest I just really don't care. In my eyes they're just another one of those small third-parties people want that I can't see happening

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

Shantae is miles in front of Banjo though mainly because she's actually had a game in god knows how many years that's on nintendo consoles, one of which was nintendo exclusive
True. Her franchise has been very loyal to Nintendo too. That said, she doesn't have Banjo's long time support, although she does have a very dedicated and growing fanbase.

I think her odds are probably about like Banjo's really, but more because there's a lot of people out there that are suckers for Banjo because it was their fav game as a kid and they will vote.

All I'm saying is that it's more likely for Banjo-Kazooie now to come in simply because of that tweet that happened just this morning. Let's just see what happens.

Either way, this thread is for Krystal so I hope no one is bothered that I brought it up. If you want to support Banjo-Kazooie in addition to supporting Krystal like me, go ahead and check this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/phil...-kazooie-in-smash.397443/page-3#post-18898287 or any other pertaining to the topic.
I totally get. No worries. He does have a better chance than he once did. It's still not great I'd say, but it's better. I had heard this news earlier btw.

Last edited:

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
True. Her franchise has been very loyal to Nintendo too. That said, she doesn't have Banjo's long time support, although she does have a very dedicated and growing fanbase.

I think her odds are probably about like Banjo's really, but more because there's a lot of people out there that are suckers for Banjo because it was their fav game as a kid and they will vote.

I totally get. No worries. He does have a better chance than he once did. It's still not great I'd say, but it's better. I had heard this news earlier btw.
Back to Krystal, is this the only thread for her? I'm relatively new to Smashboards at all, and I don't understand entirely how everything works here. I wish there was a way that we could see statistics or find out who's currently winning in this race (as in which character has more votes than others). But then again, if people say that their favourite character was down significantly, they'd just give up on it so perhaps that's a blessing in disguise. We don't want those political tactics happening to this. XD

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Back to Krystal, is this the only thread for her? I'm relatively new to Smashboards at all, and I don't understand entirely how everything works here. I wish there was a way that we could see statistics or find out who's currently winning in this race (as in which character has more votes than others). But then again, if people say that their favourite character was down significantly, they'd just give up on it so perhaps that's a blessing in disguise. We don't want those political tactics happening to this. XD
This is the only thread for her on the board that's dedicated to discussion about her inclusion in Smash 4. Keeps the board clean if there's no repeats.

It's really hard to say what the ballot votes are looking like. Polls are as close as you're going to get, but even polls can show quite a bit of inconsistency. Krystal is anywhere from top 3 most wanted newcomer to not quite making it into top 10 in the most unfavorable polls. The data I like to reference though is that she was the second most wanted newcomer after K. Rool in a Japanese survey taken a couple months ago. The sample size was kind of small though. All we can hope is that her supporters come out of the woodwork in force and she has respectable numbers on the ballot. I think her being featured in an upcoming Star Fox Wii U trailer and looking interesting and cool could really help her chances. She could get a strong influx of votes after more Star Fox Wii U info comes out.

Her status is in an odd relationship with Wolf. Most Krystal supporters understand that Wolf has a better shot at returning than she does at being made playable for the first time, and before his cut, his inclusion made her the top Star Fox rep to be added. Now we mostly hope they can both be fighters since Wolf being left out would be lame and almost inconceivable at this point with Lucas being added. At the same time, as Krystal supporters we have to hope for her either as a fourth rep or a third rep. Most of us agree she should be a fourth rep still, so no one is really against Wolf... just, it's a bit odd, heh. Wolf shouldn't ever have been cut imo, and then I could focus more on arguing for Krystal without feeling guilty that I'm asking for two additional Star Fox reps. We should've had three to begin with basically. Fortunately, Star Fox Wii U really is a card Star Fox can play in this game of "character inclusion" that no other big name franchise can other than Zelda at this time. Star Fox Wii U is our best hope and argument for including two additional Star Fox reps... that and the fact that Star Fox only has two reps and is underrepped by most people's standards.

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
This is the only thread for her on the board that's dedicated to discussion about her inclusion in Smash 4. Keeps the board clean if there's no repeats.

It's really hard to say what the ballot votes are looking like. Polls are as close as you're going to get, but even polls can show quite a bit of inconsistency. Krystal is anywhere from top 3 most wanted newcomer to not quite making it into top 10 in the most unfavorable polls. The data I like to reference though is that she was the second most wanted newcomer after K. Rool in a Japanese survey taken a couple months ago. The sample size was kind of small though. All we can hope is that her supporters come out of the woodwork in force and she has respectable numbers on the ballot. I think her being featured in an upcoming Star Fox Wii U trailer and looking interesting and cool could really help her chances. She could get a strong influx of votes after more Star Fox Wii U info comes out.

Her status is in an odd relationship with Wolf. Most Krystal supporters understand that Wolf has a better shot at returning than she does at being made playable for the first time, and before his cut, his inclusion made her the top Star Fox rep to be added. Now we mostly hope they can both be fighters since Wolf being left out would be lame and almost inconceivable at this point with Lucas being added. At the same time, as Krystal supporters we have to hope for her either as a fourth rep or a third rep. Most of us agree she should be a fourth rep still, so no one is really against Wolf... just, it's a bit odd, heh. Wolf shouldn't ever have been cut imo, and then I could focus more on arguing for Krystal without feeling guilty that I'm asking for two additional Star Fox reps. We should've had three to begin with basically. Fortunately, Star Fox Wii U really is a card Star Fox can play in this game of "character inclusion" that no other big name franchise can other than Zelda at this time. Star Fox Wii U is our best hope and argument for including two additional Star Fox reps... that and the fact that Star Fox only has two reps and is underrepped by most people's standards.
Hm...do we know for certainty that Krystal will even appear in the new Star Fox game? All we know for sure is that Fox and Falco are in. But we really know nothing else about the story...at all.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Hm...do we know for certainty that Krystal will even appear in the new Star Fox game? All we know for sure is that Fox and Falco are in. But we really know nothing else about the story...at all.
We don't even know that Falco is in last I heard. It's just Star Fox and Star Wolf that have been referenced with no mention of individual members that I've seen. Seems the story for the game is still under lock and key. Inferences can be made though since the teams do have consistent members. Unfortunately, Krystal hasn't always been a team member and that's where the question pops up. Whether Krystal will be included or featured prominently has been discussed in here. The general feeling is that the only basis for why she might not be is because people seem to think the remake of Star Fox 64 was an attempt at a retcon when really it's likely to have been like OoT 3D and is just a remake. Smash 4 didn't help though with the oddity of Orbital Gate's cameo dialogue, but that's just Smash being Smash you could say.

TL;DR - the general feeling is that Krystal will return if for no other reason than it's a new Star Fox and she's an established character at this point and a member of team Star Fox. We're expecting her for the same reason we expect Slippy. The odds against her aren't actually that good. It's much more likely the team and story won't be fooled with much with Miyamoto in charge. Though, there are arguments otherwise, but I'm not gonna get into that.

Edit: Oh, and I guess there's Command's alt endings too, forgot about those. I always forget about Command, heh. It's unlikely any one of those endings will become canon though. Who knows however. Command is probably the most legit reason to believe Krystal may be elsewhere in the next game.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Someone mentioned renaming the Krystal Support movement "Krystalisation". Sold - Our new thread title should be:
"The Psychic Vixen - Krystal for DLC! Help us achieve Krystalisation in the Votes today!"

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
We don't even know that Falco is in last I heard. It's just Star Fox and Star Wolf that have been referenced with no mention of individual members that I've seen. Seems the story for the game is still under lock and key. Inferences can be made though since the teams do have consistent members. Unfortunately, Krystal hasn't always been a team member and that's where the question pops up. Whether Krystal will be included or featured prominently has been discussed in here. The general feeling is that the only basis for why she might not be is because people seem to think the remake of Star Fox 64 was an attempt at a retcon when really it's likely to have been like OoT 3D and is just a remake. Smash 4 didn't help though with the oddity of Orbital Gate's cameo dialogue, but that's just Smash being Smash you could say.

TL;DR - the general feeling is that Krystal will return if for no other reason than it's a new Star Fox and she's an established character at this point and a member of team Star Fox. We're expecting her for the same reason we expect Slippy. The odds against her aren't actually that good. It's much more likely the team and story won't be fooled with much with Miyamoto in charge. Though, there are arguments otherwise, but I'm not gonna get into that.

Edit: Oh, and I guess there's Command's alt endings too, forgot about those. I always forget about Command, heh. It's unlikely any one of those endings will become canon though. Who knows however. Command is probably the most legit reason to believe Krystal may be elsewhere in the next game.
We don't know that Falco's in? Are you sure? Look at this: http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1534/15343359/2557776-starfox.jpg

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
That was an engine test. They copied the first level of Star Fox 64 3D into the new game's engine as a way of testing to make sure it was functioning the way they wanted.

A lot of people jumped to conclusions and assumed it meant a reboot of the series. Then the genwunners jumped in. Loudly.

And on the note of campaign names, I like the ideas we've had so far. How about we go with the one that best combines the theme we want, catchiness, and ease of pronunciation: Krystallize?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
That was an engine test. They copied the first level of Star Fox 64 3D into the new game's engine as a way of testing to make sure it was functioning the way they wanted.

A lot of people jumped to conclusions and assumed it meant a reboot of the series. Then the genwunners jumped in. Loudly.

And on the note of campaign names, I like the ideas we've had so far. How about we go with the one that best combines the theme we want, catchiness, and ease of pronunciation: Krystallize?
I like Strider's idea especially with that second sentence. "Help us achieve Krystallization" or whatever. Doesn't need to be like that exactly, but I like the way the main hook Ian brought up is used in a punny way. Like if we could relate our effort to unify and build support to "crystallization"... heh, could be a stretch. I like word play idea though, so I think it could be worth it to at least try and come up with something clever.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, wouldn't we also want something that rolls off the tongue, something we could make a hashtag out of like the ones all the other major characters are getting? Three syllables work better in that regard than five, do they not?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well, wouldn't we also want something that rolls off the tongue, something we could make a hashtag out of like the ones all the other major characters are getting? Three syllables work better in that regard than five, do they not?
#Break the Kurse (since i feel krystal always gets the short end of the staff stick)
# Cerinian Saturday (since the last day falls on that day.)
or simply #krystalize (your idea)

Idk just trying to bounce some ideas around.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Yep. And in that case just "Krystallize" works. We want to "Krystallize" Smash by adding Krystal to it!

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way we could get a poll going on the front page to help further gauge interest? I'd ask a mod or something, but I am but a lowly Smash Cadet.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
For anyone who hasn't seen the Reddit poll, the results are super disappointing.
Reddit's a small sample size, and that poll in particular has its share of outliers. I mean, it has to mean something when Krystal is finishing among the top 10 of all characters and top 5 in newcomers in most polls, yet in there she's 36th.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Reddit's a small sample size, and there especially seem to be quite a few outliers in that poll. I mean, it has to mean something when Krystal is finishing among the top 10 consistently and top 5 in newcomers in most polls, yet in there she's 36th.
Probably because of the imbeciles who keep suggesting impossible characters like Shrek or Goku, or the Ridley fans who don't get the fact that Sakurai said he isn't able to make Ridley work in Smash, or the Waluigi supporters who refuse to give up, even though Waluigi is totally irrelevant to his ow franchise

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Probably because of the imbeciles who keep suggesting impossible characters like Shrek or Goku, or the Ridley fans who don't get the fact that Sakurai said he isn't able to make Ridley work in Smash, or the Waluigi supporters who refuse to give up, even though Waluigi is totally irrelevant to his ow franchise
Well they're like a stone in the ocean you can't ****ing convince them. At this point just don't listen to polls because reddit is full of **** so until Nintendo actually announces something don't lose hope.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well they're like a stone in the ocean you can't ****ing convince them. At this point just don't listen to polls because reddit is full of **** so until Nintendo actually announces something don't lose hope.
I know right, those idiots are always ruining it for people who have realistic and reasonable suggestions like Issac, Impa, or Krystal

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
I've seen a bunch of Smash DLC polls myself lately, but I'm not going to believe any of them. Why because Nintendo's current smash DLC poll, which is legit, will be far more accurate then whatever fan dlc polls are out there except for that Japanese one not to long ago.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I quite liked the idea to rename our thread, it could use a name change. I'm also in favor of Krystallization. Let's wait for IsmaR to come and suggest this name to them.

This reddit poll had me scared that Krystal wasn't that much of a contender but I was unaware that it had a small sample size. And obviously, removing all the crap choices, 3rd parties and dreams, she's still quite high.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I quite liked the idea to rename our thread, it could use a name change. I'm also in favor of Krystallization. Let's wait for IsmaR to come and suggest this name to them.

This reddit poll had me scared that Krystal wasn't that much of a contender but I was unaware that it had a small sample size. And obviously, removing all the crap choices, 3rd parties and dreams, she's still quite high.
If we get any third party DLC, it will probably be Snake, don't forget to remove Ridley, Shrek (ugh,), Goku (ugh), Bo Jackson (REALLY?!!), Shaq (Okay so the Shaqboards prank was funny, Shaq still won't be in Smash), and Korra

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I know Sakurai seems to not view Ridley as a possible character, but I honestly see no reason to remove him from the contenders list apart from that. There's no rule saying you can't both be a boss and a playable character.

But yeah, maybe Snake because he was in Brawl and could be ported and already has some kind of base (I still doubt it though). I find 3rd parties unlikely, glad to see other people see that too. Also people seem to be clamoring for Rayman here in France, but I doubt he's going to happen.

If we remove everyone that's pretty unlikely she's probably still top 15. And then there's the fads.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
So apparently out of a 42 character list Krystal made the cut meaning she has a better chance and is being considered (ill show a picture later)

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So apparently out of a 42 character list Krystal made the cut meaning she has a better chance and is being considered (ill show a picture later)
Uh...no offense, but I kind of doubt they'd make that sweeping of a decision only three days after the ballot started.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Uh...no offense, but I kind of doubt they'd make that sweeping of a decision only three days after the ballot started.
It's not an offical list, it's something some guy on chan*4 put together after surveying people.

DeNice

Smash Cadet
NNID
DeNice1776
3DS FC
2509-1398-2342
Not to interrupt but I also favor a thread name change. The one featured now is sorta... lacking compared to other character threads. I'm also in favor of some variant of "Krystallization", "Krystallize Smash 4 with Krystal" or something similar. And yeah, that's the thing about this whole situation that I mentioned earlier in the thread; a lot of characters that could've knocked Krystal off the horse early have either already been included as Assist Trophies or other roles like bosses, stricken out due to limitations or had their roles taken over by someone else in the roster already. I'm not here to bag on anyone else's picks that are also in the running outside this observation; but I do feel the possible pool of characters, at least within Nintendo's ownership, is starting to thin itself out somewhat. I doubt they're gonna be lazy with this. They're gonna have to start really looking at the less of the crop that normally wouldn't be considered for a high-profile get-together like Smash and start figuring out who can stand out the most and be worth the work; the unsung heroes, so to speak. I do feel Krystal fits among that group of unforged, forgotten gems in Nintendo's catalog. Once you remove all the usual suspects, the suggestions that just 'don't make sense' and the what not, that's when you start noticing her among the fold, at least that's what I believe.

Top Bottom