• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Personally, I just hope that this new Star Fox game is fun. I've only really played SF64 (and the 3DS remake, for that matter) and a small bit of Adventures, and after hearing about all the criticism of Adventures, Assault, and Command, I just want to see the series make a comeback.

I'm actually not super interested in seeing Krystal become playable in Smash, but I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. We could use a staff-wielding character, and on the topic of uniqueness, she'd be the first explicitly female non-human character (I'm not considering Hylians and goddesses non-human in this case) to get her own slot.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I think I get why Nintendo ignores fan requests a lot,
A good chunk of their fan base is impossible to please, they complain when a game strays from it's roots, and they complain "Stop relying on old ideas" when Nintendo answers them and returns the IP to it's roots. I can understand the root genre rot for franchises that have been around for a long time, have established gameplay formulas, and when the developers have tried to add new twists but failed in an epic fashion, like Sonic, but remember at the time Star Fox: Adventures came out, Star Fox was a relatively new franchise, it only had two games, and at least the game was good, the fanbase was warned that it wasn't going to be a traditional Star Fox game, but they complained anyways. Not to mention, how Star Fox was going to have on foot missions added eventually anyway, because that's Nintendo.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I think I get why Nintendo ignores fan requests a lot,
A good chunk of their fan base is impossible to please, they complain when a game strays from it's roots, and they complain "Stop relying on old ideas" when Nintendo answers them and returns the IP to it's roots. I can understand the root genre rot for franchises that have been around for a long time, have established gameplay formulas, and when the developers have tried to add new twists but failed in an epic fashion, like Sonic, but remember at the time Star Fox: Adventures came out, Star Fox was a relatively new franchise, it only had two games, and at least the game was good, the fanbase was warned that it wasn't going to be a traditional Star Fox game, but they complained anyways. Not to mention, how Star Fox was going to have on foot missions added eventually anyway, because that's Nintendo.
I believe I've heard a lot of people talk about how 64 just has the best gameplay and they prefer that over Adventures, Assault, etc. And yet I've heard people make fun of the fact that the newest Star Fox game is just a remake of 64, insinuating to me that they want something new. It sounds to me like this kind of reaction would send Nintendo a rather mixed message, so I get what you're saying.

It seems that the new Star Fox game is going to stay mostly within 64's gameplay (judging by the videos and pictures I've seen), but have some extra stuff like Project Giant Robot and Project Guard on the side (I'm pretty sure Miyamoto and friends said those two things have something to do with the new Star Fox). If this is the case, what I'm getting is that the team wants to play it safe while experimenting with new kinds of gameplay on the side. And looking at how the series has come along, this sounds to me like a reasonable thing they'd do.

Regardless, I'm hoping the game will turn out well.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I believe I've heard a lot of people talk about how 64 just has the best gameplay and they prefer that over Adventures, Assault, etc. And yet I've heard people make fun of the fact that the newest Star Fox game is just a remake of 64, insinuating to me that they want something new. It sounds to me like this kind of reaction would send Nintendo a rather mixed message, so I get what you're saying.

It seems that the new Star Fox game is going to stay mostly within 64's gameplay (judging by the videos and pictures I've seen), but have some extra stuff like Project Giant Robot and Project Guard on the side (I'm pretty sure Miyamoto and friends said those two things have something to do with the new Star Fox). If this is the case, what I'm getting is that the team wants to play it safe while experimenting with new kinds of gameplay on the side. And looking at how the series has come along, this sounds to me like a reasonable thing they'd do.

Regardless, I'm hoping the game will turn out well.
I hope so as well, I think the game will probably take place after Assault, and retcon Command

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I hope so as well, I think the game will probably take place after Assault, and retcon Command
Krystal was in Assault, right? Then if you're right, that should mean Krystal might appear in this game.

And Command is the one with multiple endings, isn't it? I can see it getting "retconned," but I'm not sure if that's Nintendo's style... Then again, SF64 was a retelling of the original SF. Or was it of the 2nd one that never came out? What I'm saying is, I think SF64 did this sort of thing, so maybe it could happen again.

I'm not sure where the game will be chronologically. I'm really not updated with what all happened in Adventures and Assault, so I'm having trouble imagining the game in the context of either one.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Krystal was in Assault, right? Then if you're right, that should mean Krystal might appear in this game.

And Command is the one with multiple endings, isn't it? I can see it getting "retconned," but I'm not sure if that's Nintendo's style... Then again, SF64 was a retelling of the original SF. Or was it of the 2nd one that never came out? What I'm saying is, I think SF64 did this sort of thing, so maybe it could happen again.

I'm not sure where the game will be chronologically. I'm really not updated with what all happened in Adventures and Assault, so I'm having trouble imagining the game in the context of either one.
I rather have that the new game takes place sometime after Assault and there you have it. It could work that way.

Old School Tommy

Smash Cadet
I don't see how some of you think she has a 100% chance of showing up in Star Fox Wii U. This upcoming game could be some sort of prequel (between SF64 & Adventures) for all we know. Just because she's popular, that doesn't mean she's guaranteed to be in Star Fox Wii U. Look at what happened to K Rool from the DK series.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't see how some of you think she has a 100% chance of showing up in Star Fox Wii U. This upcoming game could be some sort of prequel (between SF64 & Adventures) for all we know. Just because she's popular, that doesn't mean she's guaranteed to be in Star Fox Wii U. Look at what happened to K Rool from the DK series.
It pretty much is 100% dude, even the people here who think it's possible for Krystal to miss the new game highly doubt it.

And it's not just because she's popular at all. Even Miyamoto himself knows she's popular, and Krystal's never missed a StarFox game ever since her first appearance. (Remakes obviously don't count) She's also pretty important to the franchise itself.

And King K Rool was not scrapped after Microsoft bought RARE. They still used him in some games.

Krystal isn't going to be retired. She will have some role whether it's just a member of the team or new playable style.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I don't think it's 100% for certain, but it definitely seems more likely than not so far that she'll be back.

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Nintendo does have a way keeping things together... If a franchise does have a continuing story. So Krystal may not be 100% in, but it can be close to it if this game is a continuation of the other Star Fox games.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I never said she had a 100% chance, I just said that it's extremely likely she will return, about an 85% chance she will return, and K Rool and the Kremlings have been in games after Rare was bought out, the Kremlings were in Smash Run for Pete's sakes

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
It pretty much is 100% dude, even the people here who think it's possible for Krystal to miss the new game highly doubt it.

And it's not just because she's popular at all. Even Miyamoto himself knows she's popular, and Krystal's never missed a StarFox game ever since her first appearance. (Remakes obviously don't count) She's also pretty important to the franchise itself.

And King K Rool was not scrapped after Microsoft bought RARE. They still used him in some games.

Krystal isn't going to be retired. She will have some role whether it's just a member of the team or new playable style.
Agreed. I like how you think. Anyone who thinks that she doesn't have a chance of coming back in the next SF game on the Wii U are doubters on her. Her chances of coming back is very, very likely. So we shouldn't really worry about it.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
@ IsmaR IsmaR

We should probably change the thread name. I recently learned that the Year of StarFox wasnt really a legitimate announcement. Maybe "StarFox Wii U Demo at e3" would work better, idk.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
While I like the idea of the poll, I can't help but feel like a vast majority of those characters are unreasonable. >.< Voted anyway.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
While I like the idea of the poll, I can't help but feel like a vast majority of those characters are unreasonable. >.< Voted anyway.
Tell me about it. So many characters we're pretty sure are always gonna get the axe. Bandana Dee, Anthony Higgs, all those Sonic characters, Geno, and BANJO KAZOOIE.

But I still took it.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Ditto,
Oh and as for the DLC thing, I still think there will be DLC, no matter what Sakurai says, he's gone back on his word before, so what makes me believe what he said, the "Withholding Content" is a dumb excuse, Nintendo would never do that, Nintendo is not Capcom, with the DLC's that have been released before, those DLCs are DLC done right

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Ditto,
Oh and as for the DLC thing, I still think there will be DLC, no matter what Sakurai says, he's gone back on his word before, so what makes me believe what he said, the "Withholding Content" is a dumb excuse, Nintendo would never do that, Nintendo is not Capcom, with the DLC's that have been released before, those DLCs are DLC done right
I think so too, "witholding Content" was the only fear Sakurai had with DLC, not his health, like most people claim.
Plus we've found no character data on the disk, so there's nothing to prove those characters were planned or withheld, see what I mean, all we have is speculation, no hard evidence, and the game can clearly handle more DLC.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I'm thinking that Krystal's likelihood of being DLC somewhat depends on how long Sakurai and his team make DLC. If they're implementing new characters past the time the new Star Fox game is out and the series gets a bump in popularity, then who knows, she might more likely make it in.

Although by that logic, it's possible that a different Star Fox rep could make it in too.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
I think so too, "witholding Content" was the only fear Sakurai had with DLC, not his health, like most people claim.
Plus we've found no character data on the disk, so there's nothing to prove those characters were planned or withheld, see what I mean, all we have is speculation, no hard evidence, and the game can clearly handle more DLC.
Agreed. Besides, Sakurai has lied in several scenarios in the past with Smash 4 like "deconfirming" Zero Suit Samus for Smash 4 and then he shows that she's coming back from the Direct back in April 2014. Another incident was that of him saying that there was going to be no DLC at all and boom, we're getting DLC starting off with Mewtwo(doubt that he's going to be the only one and I'm sure that there will be a few more DLC characters that can handle in both the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game). He even said at one time that there were going to be no Namco characters in the game even though the game was being developed by Namco Bandai and boom we get PAC-MAN in the roster. Later on we get of him saying that there was going to be no clone characters this time around in Smash 4 and boom we have them once again. All of this points out that Sakurai is nothing more than a genuine and professional troll(which I find this very unprofessional in his standards). You can't trust anything these days that come out of his mouth. I have to agree with Obnoxshush/Dasshizer there. All we have now is specualtion coming from Smash 4 as of this moment. But I'm sure that both versions can handle a few more DLC characters besides Mewtwo and there you have it.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Sakurai has lied in several scenarios in the past with Smash 4 like "deconfirming" Zero Suit Samus for Smash 4 and then he shows that she's coming back from the Direct back in April 2014. Another incident was that of him saying that there was going to be no DLC at all and boom, we're getting DLC starting off with Mewtwo(doubt that he's going to be the only one and I'm sure that there will be a few more DLC characters that can handle in both the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game). He even said at one time that there were going to be no Namco characters in the game even though the game was being developed by Namco Bandai and boom we get PAC-MAN in the roster. Later on we get of him saying that there was going to be no clone characters this time around in Smash 4 and boom we have them once again. All of this points out that Sakurai is nothing more than a genuine and professional troll(which I find this very unprofessional in his standards). You can't trust anything these days that come out of his mouth.
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting what you said, but it sounds like you believe Sakurai lied about all of these things intentionally. I can't tell you if he did or not for sure, but I don't believe he did.

From my understanding, he intended for most of these things to happen- the things he originally said- but then in the development process, stuff happened, and he decided to go back on it. So far our only DLC for Smash is Mewtwo, and while I don't know for sure, I feel like Sakurai didn't think to add him in any way until later. As for clone characters, I believe that Sakurai said that they were created out of gradually getting their own alts, then it being decided later that they should have changed moves/mechanics, which gave them their own slot. I don't know what that tells you, but it tells me that he and his team just changed their design choices down the road.

As for Zero Suit Samus, I might agree. He was kind of being a troll in the April Direct, but if he meant for her not to be playable at first, I can see why that would be, since they were getting rid of the character-splitting mechanic.
Pac-Man, I don't know. I didn't know Sakurai said this. Sakurai could've been lying to try to keep Pac-Man's announcement more exciting, but I'm not really sure. I think he said later that Pac-Man was decided to be in the roster from Day 1, so maybe.

But I'll agree with you guys that we have little to go on from here except for speculation.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting what you said, but it sounds like you believe Sakurai lied about all of these things intentionally. I can't tell you if he did or not for sure, but I don't believe he did.

From my understanding, he intended for most of these things to happen- the things he originally said- but then in the development process, stuff happened, and he decided to go back on it. So far our only DLC for Smash is Mewtwo, and while I don't know for sure, I feel like Sakurai didn't think to add him in any way until later. As for clone characters, I believe that Sakurai said that they were created out of gradually getting their own alts, then it being decided later that they should have changed moves/mechanics, which gave them their own slot. I don't know what that tells you, but it tells me that he and his team just changed their design choices down the road.

As for Zero Suit Samus, I might agree. He was kind of being a troll in the April Direct, but if he meant for her not to be playable at first, I can see why that would be, since they were getting rid of the character-splitting mechanic.
Pac-Man, I don't know. I didn't know Sakurai said this. Sakurai could've been lying to try to keep Pac-Man's announcement more exciting, but I'm not really sure. I think he said later that Pac-Man was decided to be in the roster from Day 1, so maybe.

But I'll agree with you guys that we have little to go on from here except for speculation.
Yeah he said that just cause Namco is developing the game doesn't mean they get special treatment, and well they king of did. Though Sakurai's trolling can be a bit unprofessional at times, he went a little too far with Ridley, not deconfirming him outright when he should have, but instead waiting and making it even worse for the Ridley fans. He never said Mewtwo is the only DLC, he just said he didn't have any plans at the moment, well that was 2 months ago, he's been quite on more DLC ever since. More DLC is clearly in high demand. Sakurai's fear of witholding content is the only concern Sakurai has expressed with DLC, not his health like so many people say ( Sakurai probably has ergonomics helping him out with his hand, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_factors_and_ergonomics) Since Sakurai scrubbed the disk of any leftover character data, we can't tell if anyone was truly withheld or not, so that means that there's no problems with doing more character DLC.

EliteXit

Smash Cadet
100% based on what? There's no proof. Others here highly doubt it is suppose to mean something? There's a chance she could be in... or dropped from the new game. It can easily go either way.

Krystal's never missed a StarFox game ever since her first appearance.
Honestly, this means nothing. It doesn't mean the developers will automatically follow that same path. Example: Waluigi stuck with the Mario Kart series (not counting the arcade series) since his first appearance up until Mario Kart 7 happened.

K Rool hasn't been in action for years. He's pretty much on the sidelines. His last actual appearance was in "Mario Super Sluggers." He's not even the main antagonist in the later DK games: "Returns" & "Tropical Freeze." So far he's MIA.

Her chances of coming back is very, very likely. So we shouldn't really worry about it.
You two say this as if it was written in stone. There's not much known about this upcoming game, I wouldn't make assumptions. The only thing you can do is wait and see.

We should probably change the thread name. I recently learned that the Year of StarFox wasnt really a legitimate announcement. Maybe "StarFox Wii U Demo at e3" would work better, idk.
If it really is targeted to release this year "before the new Zelda" game... I'd leave the thread title as it is.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
100% based on what? There's no proof. Others here highly doubt it is suppose to mean something? There's a chance she could be in... or dropped from the new game. It can easily go either way.

1. Honestly, this means nothing. It doesn't mean the developers will automatically follow that same path. Example: Waluigi stuck with the Mario Kart series (not counting the arcade series) since his first appearance up until Mario Kart 7 happened.

2. K Rool hasn't been in action for years. He's pretty much on the sidelines. His last actual appearance was in "Mario Super Sluggers." He's not even the main antagonist in the later DK games: "Returns" & "Tropical Freeze."

3. You two say this as if it was written in stone. There's not much known about this upcoming game, I wouldn't make assumptions. The only thing you can do is wait and see.

4. If it really is targeted to release this year "before the new Zelda" game... I'd leave the thread title as it is.
1. Waluigi cannot legitimately be compared to Krystal. Waluigi is a NON CANON CHARACTER!

2. I have no expertise in Donkey Kong, it's not my fault.

3. We're not saying she will be in, we just don't think she would be left out for any reason.

4. The actual quote by Miyamoto regarding the Year of StarFox was a gag, so I don't think it's a legitimate title name.

5. I must say I admire your avi and signature scheme.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
When you you go back your word as much as Sakurai has, you stop believing it,until you see it
Yeah he said that just cause Namco is developing the game doesn't mean they get special treatment, and well they king of did. Though Sakurai's trolling can be a bit unprofessional at times, he went a little too far with Ridley, not deconfirming him outright when he should have, but instead waiting and making it even worse for the Ridley fan.
Again Sakurai's trolling is NOT funny, it's immature, childish, and unprofessional. He should have deconfirmed Ridley earlier, if Ridley won't work, DON'T LEAVE US WAITING UNTIL THE LAST MOMENT!!, That's what pisses me off, Sakurai is no better than a class clown

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
When you you go back your word as much as Sakurai has, you stop believing it,until you see it

Again Sakurai's trolling is NOT funny, it's immature, childish, and unprofessional. He should have deconfirmed Ridley earlier, if Ridley won't work, DON'T LEAVE US WAITING UNTIL THE LAST MOMENT!!, That's what pisses me off, Sakurai is no better than a class clown
Sakurai's trolling is the one thing I hate most about him.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I kinda think it gives him extra charm. At least, when he delivers more than previously expected.
To an extent, if it's something pleasant, but not if it's something like with Ridley, he waited until the last minute to deconfirm him, same with Krystal, which in my opinion was wrong, those characters are two of the most requested characters and he did that,

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
To an extent, if it's something pleasant, but not if it's something like with Ridley, he waited until the last minute to deconfirm him, same with Krystal, which in my opinion was wrong, those characters are two of the most requested characters and he did that,
Well here's the conclusion for him on this. Once a troll, always a troll. He could have at least let us know ahead of time. I rather prefer that for the next Smash game after this one that Sakurai finally steps down from the Smash series and hand it to someone else who knows the source and gameplay mechanics of Smash. Because I'm sure that there are other people who would like to take a crack at it.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Guys I have great news, Rayman DLC has been leaked, which proves that Sakurai was lying, (if it's legit) which is great news for us Krystal and Wolf supporters,
Does anyone here have a good Krystal emoticon \smiley\symbol I can use?

Top Bottom