• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Honestly, for all we know Sakurai is working on Krystal DLC as we speak, I wouldn't doubt it, and honestly I think Miyamoto should realize that it's time for him to let Star Fox go, and outsource it to Retro or Platinum, because they would probably make fantastic games, but Miyamoto is far too stubborn for that. Iwata is not the only one to blame for Nintendo's problems, I also blame Miyamoto, his archaic views on what games should be, aren't working anymore, he's against online multiplayer, and still says Nintendo should be making innovative hardware, when gimmicky innovative systems fail 95% of the time, with the Wii, the console was released at the right place, at the right time, the hardware was lacking because Nintendo put too much focus on the controller and not enough on the rest of the console, and the Wii aged much faster than the PS3 and XBOX 360, the console's game catalog also suffered because no 3rd party developer wants to develop for a gimmicky underpowered console, the same thing is happening with the Wii U, the last non-gimmicky console Nintendo had, the GameCube had a fantastic library, but I am going off topic, maybe Miyamoto needs to step back a little bit, and allow the newer developers to prove themselves with developing new AAA IP's, in addition to Nintendo's other IPsIPs. And as for Krystal in Smash, I wanted her for her unique moveset potential, and it will boost her popularity if she has an awesome moveset in Smash

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
See for me, because I love Krystal as a character, I would be happy if she just appeared in smash at all.
Even if she was just a clone or semi-clone of Fox, I would still be happy. Mostly because I just want to see her being represented and be able to play as her, even if it isn't in the most ideal, most unique way.
Of course, her having her staff as her moveset would be a bonus, but I would take a clone Krystal in Smash anyday, over no Krystal at all.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The thing that really gets me angry is if Sakurai had enough time to overep Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, not to mention give Mario two unique newcomers (when Mario only needed 1 at the very least, ), he had enough time to make Krystal unique and playable

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
The thought process of Sakurai is an Enigma to say the least. "Lucina was unique enough to make her a brand new character"... Sure in what way! XD Same with Dark Pit. Most of the Clones in Brawl were way more unique.

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
See for me, because I love Krystal as a character, I would be happy if she just appeared in smash at all.
Even if she was just a clone or semi-clone of Fox, I would still be happy. Mostly because I just want to see her being represented and be able to play as her, even if it isn't in the most ideal, most unique way.
Of course, her having her staff as her moveset would be a bonus, but I would take a clone Krystal in Smash anyday, over no Krystal at all.
I have to agree with you on there. It would also shut up the haters who have been saying stuff like : "Oh she can't be in Smash as a playable because she'll be like Fox." Perhaps if they took the time to play some of the other SF games in the series in where she appeared in like Adventures, that would change their world view on her after all instead of treating her like a scapegoat of them claiming that she ruined the series because of that. I find that blasphemy. I don't care if I have to pay $5 or more to have Krystal as a playable character for DLC in Smash 4. Is it too much to ask for? And yes she would have incredible moveset potential with her staff which will be a bonus while making her the second staff user in the game like Palutena except that she would be faster. I've been longing to play as her in a Smash game since Brawl where she was the most requested female character and interestingly enough she still is. But I will assure you guys on this that Smash 4 will not be the last Smash game we're going to get and I'm certain that there will be another one for the next-gen console after the Wii U.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The thing that really gets me angry is if Sakurai had enough time to overep Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, not to mention give Mario two unique newcomers (when Mario only needed 1 at the very least, ), he had enough time to make Krystal unique and playable
He also should have had time to include Wolf as well, but nooooooo. I also heard Dr Mario took some time to make... I'm reaching for my megaton hammer.
The thought process of Sakurai is an Enigma to say the least. "Lucina was unique enough to make her a brand new character"... Sure in what way! XD Same with Dark Pit. Most of the Clones in Brawl were way more unique.
Sakurai:Wolf and Lucas were far more unique then them, but I decided to cut them and didn't even give their series new reps. Fan(bashes Sakurai on the head) It's the Year of the Starfox Sakurai, so get on that Wolf and Krystal DLC.
Sakurai:but but they will think I'm witholding content.
Fan: (bashes Sakurai on the head again) WE WANT IT AND WILL PAY FOR IT!
Sakurai:....(To be continued when Sakurai does something)

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sakurai:Wolf and Lucas were far more unique then them, but I decided to cut them and didn't even give their series new reps. Fan(bashes Sakurai on the head) It's the Year of the Starfox Sakurai, so get on that Wolf and Krystal DLC.
Sakurai:but but they will think I'm witholding content.
Fan: (bashes Sakurai on the head again) WE WANT IT AND WILL PAY FOR IT!
Sakurai:....(To be continued when Sakurai does something)
This epitomizes the feeling that I have with Krystal and Wolf in Smash, though Lucas should have been cut, EarthBound is too small t deserve more than one rep

Old School Tommy

Smash Cadet
Lucas should have been cut, EarthBound is too small t deserve more than one rep
I disagree with this. EarthBound isn't as small as you may think. Anyway, I wouldn't mind having Lucas back as dlc.
His moveset is more different from Ness. Unlike Dark Pit, an actual clone with only a few differences from Pit.

I would've taken Bandana Dee over Dark Pit anyday. I hope Mewtwo isn't the only dlc character.
I wanna see other reps get characters too (DK, Star Fox... etc). xD

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
I have an idea for a great promotional tool for the upcoming Star Fox game on the Wii U. Actually if Nintendo, so chooses to show a trailer for the new Star Fox game at this years E3 my idea to promote the game would fit the situation perfectly. As for my promotional idea what if they created a Wolf & Krystal Amiibos for Star Fox Wii U to promote the game and as a bonus when you pre-order one or both of them you'll receive a code to unlock them in Super Smash Bros.

I know this has been mentioned before, but I decided expound upon the idea and add my own ideas to it.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I have an idea for a great promotional tool for the upcoming Star Fox game on the Wii U. Actually if Nintendo, so chooses to show a trailer for the new Star Fox game at this years E3 my idea to promote the game would fit the situation perfectly. As for my promotional idea what if they created a Wolf & Krystal Amiibos for Star Fox Wii U to promote the game and as a bonus when you pre-order one or both of them you'll receive a code to unlock them in Super Smash Bros.

I know this has been mentioned before, but I decided expound upon the idea and add my own ideas to it.
What about the people unable to preorder them

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
I'm kind of hoping neither gets an Amiibo since god damn... I'm really bitter about not getting kind of a few. I don't want to struggle getting a Wolf or Krystal one.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm kind of hoping neither gets an Amiibo since god damn... I'm really bitter about not getting kind of a few. I don't want to struggle getting a Wolf or Krystal one.
That's what I was talking about, what for the people who don't want to get Amiibo or are unable to?

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
That's what I was talking about, what for the people who don't want to get Amiibo or are unable to?
Silly me I forgot about that part. I should of came up with a more solid idea for the people who are unable to get a hold of certain Amiibos like right now with some of them. Well to rectify this problem those who pre-order the new Star Fox game when it becomes available will be given a bonus consisting of both character codes for Super Smash Bros.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Silly me I forgot about that part. I should of came up with a more solid idea for the people who are unable to get a hold of certain Amiibos like right now with some of them. Well to rectify this problem those who pre-order the new Star Fox game when it becomes available will be given a bonus consisting of both character codes for Super Smash Bros.
What about the people who missed the preorder period?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
So, it seems the new Star Fox Wii U game will be playable at E3 2015.

It was probably to be predicted, seeing as how Miyamoto wanted to get the game out before the end of 2015. But still, we'll know what the game is all about soon enough.

I'm not placing my confidence in amibo-related DLC for promotional reasons a la Smash Brothers. I'm not entirely sure Miyamoto sees a need for such a promotion. He probably feels there will be enough promotion within the new uses of the Wii U Gamepad that are to be displayed in Star Fox Wii U alone. Yet much like the game itself, we will find out in due time.

I have already expressed my thoughts regarding how Nintendo has been handling the situation before, so I won't go down that road.

Right now, I'm just sitting back and waiting to watch what will happen.

Surprisingly enough, I'm not at all excited for the game. My policy is as follows:

If Nintendo isn't able to exhibit a level of passion for Star Fox that rivals my level of interest, I won't waste any energy to care at all. It's certainly a tall order, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if they fail to capture my interest for this new Star Fox game.

As always, we will see.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So, it seems the new Star Fox Wii U game will be playable at E3 2015.

It was probably to be predicted, seeing as how Miyamoto wanted to get the game out before the end of 2015. But still, we'll know what the game is all about soon enough.

I'm not placing my confidence in amibo-related DLC for promotional reasons a la Smash Brothers. I'm not entirely sure Miyamoto sees a need for such a promotion. He probably feels there will be enough promotion within the new uses of the Wii U Gamepad that are to be displayed in Star Fox Wii U alone. Yet much like the game itself, we will find out in due time.

I have already expressed my thoughts regarding how Nintendo has been handling the situation before, so I won't go down that road.

Right now, I'm just sitting back and waiting to watch what will happen.

Surprisingly enough, I'm not at all excited for the game. My policy is as follows:

If Nintendo isn't able to exhibit a level of passion for Star Fox that rivals my level of interest, I won't waste any energy to care at all. It's certainly a tall order, so I wouldn't at all be surprised if they fail to capture my interest for this new Star Fox game.

As always, we will see.
I agree completely, although that may just be because we haven't actually seen it. I actually don't care about star fox's gameplay at all, it was the characters and their interesting designs and personalities that made me like the series probably since I was introduced to it through smash. As long as they are able to accurately portray the characters (Notably krystal) and stick to the lore while building upon it in some way, even if it's minor I'll probably enjoy the game. I don't wanna see them completely ignore newer entries in the series because of nostalgia and the people who dislike everything but Star Fox 64

Last edited:

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
zlCfzSyKeoov_aWmgl.jpg

My post on Miiverse; "How Krystal feels in the inside.. ;-;" It's got almost 700 likes. It's nice to know that there's that many on Miiverse that still care. :) It looks better from far away. x)

This is what I colored on top of. ^-^ zlCfzSyKfnkvTmLYis.jpg

Attachments

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
View attachment 35099
My post on Miiverse; "How Krystal feels in the inside.. ;-;" It's got almost 700 likes. It's nice to know that there's that many on Miiverse that still care. :) It looks better from far away. x)

This is what I colored on top of. ^-^ View attachment 35101
I know how she feels. We all want her to be playable in Smash. I don't care how they do it. But I just want to play with her in Smash. Speaking of that, great pic there. ^^

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
View attachment 35099

This is what I colored on top of. ^-^ View attachment 35101
That's absolutely beautiful. Colour me impressed.

As much as I'm pretty ambivalent towards Star Fox as a series, I became quite fond of Wolf in Brawl and think Krystal has a lot of potential. I'm cautiously optimistic about Star Fox U.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I have given up ranting about Krystal not being in Smash, it only gets me angrier at Sakurai (Really??!! Krystal doesn't get in yet the Wii Fit Trainer and the Duck Hunt Dog are in?!!)

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I have given up ranting about Krystal not being in Smash, it only gets me angrier at Sakurai (Really??!! Krystal doesn't get in yet the Wii Fit Trainer and the Duck Hunt Dog are in?!!)
It's a shame that Sakurai chose characters more based on which series is popular than who has potential. Duck Hunt is even based off of popularity... from the 80's.
I think history has proven that Smash Bros. is a game that can make characters or franchises popular. Melee made more people aware of the Fire Emblem series and Brawl got people so interested in Pit that we got a new Kid Icarus game. Smash has the power to make characters well known, yet Smash 4 decided to focus on characters who were, for the most part, already well known.
I think that's part of the reason why this is the most disappointing roster for me. I know Duck Hunt is supposed to be their new oddball character, but he was mainly chosen just because it was one of the best selling NES games. Ice Climbers was not one of the NES' best selling games. Neither was Kid Icarus. Ice Climbers and Pit were made for Smash due to their uniqueness and potential. I guess the same could be said for Duck Hunt, but personally I feel like a lot of Duck Hunt's moves are just phoned in, just like the custom moves.
I'm honestly pretty convinced that Sakurai did not enjoy making Smash 4 as much as he did previous games. It shows in the final product. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I just don't like the direction that Sakurai genuinely wanted the game to go in. After all, I didn't like Uprising. It's just so disappointed that the same guy that made Smash for n64 and Melee has now made Brawl and "Untitled." He did not even come up with a subtitle for the game, so... maybe he did just not really feel it this time around.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It's a shame that Sakurai chose characters more based on which series is popular than who has potential. Duck Hunt is even based off of popularity... from the 80's.
I think history has proven that Smash Bros. is a game that can make characters or franchises popular. Melee made more people aware of the Fire Emblem series and Brawl got people so interested in Pit that we got a new Kid Icarus game. Smash has the power to make characters well known, yet Smash 4 decided to focus on characters who were, for the most part, already well known.
I think that's part of the reason why this is the most disappointing roster for me. I know Duck Hunt is supposed to be their new oddball character, but he was mainly chosen just because it was one of the best selling NES games. Ice Climbers was not one of the NES' best selling games. Neither was Kid Icarus. Ice Climbers and Pit were made for Smash due to their uniqueness and potential. I guess the same could be said for Duck Hunt, but personally I feel like a lot of Duck Hunt's moves are just phoned in, just like the custom moves.
I'm honestly pretty convinced that Sakurai did not enjoy making Smash 4 as much as he did previous games. It shows in the final product. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I just don't like the direction that Sakurai genuinely wanted the game to go in. After all, I didn't like Uprising. It's just so disappointed that the same guy that made Smash for n64 and Melee has now made Brawl and "Untitled." He did not even come up with a subtitle for the game, so... maybe he did just not really feel it this time around.
Honestly I never really though about it till now but you're right. I honestly think he's over the series and is genuinely bored of it. I mean he was practically forced into making brawl and even smash 4, it was either him or a new director and even if he was done I doubt he'd want someone else doing it. I believe he even said he wanted melee to be the last game or that it was developed without a sequel in mind. Even the way he talks about the game in interviews and the miiverse posts makes him seem pretty disinterested although that could just be due to his sleep deprivation and injuries but y'know.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Honestly I never really though about it till now but you're right. I honestly think he's over the series and is genuinely bored of it. I mean he was practically forced into making brawl and even smash 4, it was either him or a new director and even if he was done I doubt he'd want someone else doing it. I believe he even said he wanted melee to be the last game or that it was developed without a sequel in mind. Even the way he talks about the game in interviews and the miiverse posts makes him seem pretty disinterested although that could just be due to his sleep deprivation and injuries but y'know.
Yeah, he said Melee and Brawl were each made with the intentions of being the final Smash Bros. game. I understand that developers get tired of working on the same games for their whole life, but I don't ever hear Aonuma complain about having to make another Zelda game and Smash Bros. is a great franchise. So I think Nintendo could find someone with enough passion to take over the Smash series, just like they did with Zelda. I understand Sakurai not wanting someone else working on his baby, but it's inevitably going to happen at some point. Honestly, he probably should've started taking a backseat to development after Melee, like Miyamoto did after Ocarina of Time. That way, he doesn't have to dedicate so much of his life to it, but he can also look after his baby and make sure that nobody ruins it.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yeah, he said Melee and Brawl were each made with the intentions of being the final Smash Bros. game. I understand that developers get tired of working on the same games for their whole life, but I don't ever hear Aonuma complain about having to make another Zelda game and Smash Bros. is a great franchise. So I think Nintendo could find someone with enough passion to take over the Smash series, just like they did with Zelda. I understand Sakurai not wanting someone else working on his baby, but it's inevitably going to happen at some point. Honestly, he probably should've started taking a backseat to development after Melee, like Miyamoto did after Ocarina of Time. That way, he doesn't have to dedicate so much of his life to it, but he can also look after his baby and make sure that nobody ruins it.
Although with games like Zelda and Mario there is a lot more room for experimentation, there's always new concepts to work with. Just look at Zelda wii u or mario galaxy, completely different from past games while for smash it's basically impossible to stray too far from the original formula without completely alienating the fans. I mean working on the same game style for 15 years has got to be quite boring

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Although with games like Zelda and Mario there is a lot more room for experimentation, there's always new concepts to work with. Just look at Zelda wii u or mario galaxy, completely different from past games while for smash it's basically impossible to stray too far from the original formula without completely alienating the fans. I mean working on the same game style for 15 years has got to be quite boring
Well... yes and no. I think Smash Bros. has room for experimentation. It still has to be the same game at it's core, but I believe the game could be dramatically different and still be fun. With Smash 4, it's like they just came up with new modes for the sake of coming up with new modes. Because he's tired of doing the same thing over and over again, but at the same time, he didn't have any brilliant ideas for new modes. At least, I hope he didn't think Smash Tour was a brilliant idea...
One thing that I've been expecting to happen since Brawl was announced was for characters to get revamped, which has never happened. Ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone, although heavily Luigified. Sakurai completely missed with the custom moves. That had potential to really bring out all the possibility of all the characters, but instead 95% of the custom moves are just slightly different than their default move. Smash Bros. has a lot of potential. Sakurai seems to be too scared to stray the series too far from Melee, but also seems to want it to be very different from Melee. We need a new mind at the top of Smash Bros. to really bring in some new ideas. Sakurai could be doing more, he's just not.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think that when Sakurai retires from gamegame, there should be more characters popular in the West, like Krystal, as well as Japanese favorites, honestly I think Retro could do it, but the problem with Retro is Metroid may actually get too much content, considering, how Metroid Prime made Retro, and the Metroid Prime games are Retro's most successful games,

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The worst part is he also took Wolf out for no good reason and reduced Starfox in reps... DLC better fix this.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Honestly, I think that when Sakurai retires from gamegame, there should be more characters popular in the West, like Krystal, as well as Japanese favorites, honestly I think Retro could do it, but the problem with Retro is Metroid may actually get too much content, considering, how Metroid Prime made Retro, and the Metroid Prime games are Retro's most successful games,
I'm not so sure Retro Studios would shoehorn a bunch of Metroid stuff in Smash like Sakurai did with Uprising. I believe quite a few of the people who were at Retro when they made Metroid Prime has since left the company, and that was the main reason why RS made a new DKC game instead of a Metroid one. Then again, they have been putting Metroid stuff in DKC, extremely subtly, but I doubt it.
That being said, I still wouldn't want RS to make a Smash Bros. The first Metroid Prime game is really good, even though I don't like what it did to the Metroid series, but other than that, I'm not really very impressed with Retro's work. I mean, what they do, they do very well. I just don't like a lot of the decisions that RS has made with Metroid and DKC. I feel like if RS were to make a Smash Bros. game, it would feel cold and robotic, just like all their other games. To me, their games just lack any sort of personality.
I have no idea who would be my ideal developer to make a Smash Bros. game, though. I think they would just have to find a good director and give him a team like they have done with Sakurai. Other than that, maybe Next Level Games? They made Super Mario Strikers a really fun multiplayer game. Surprisingly good for another soccer game.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I feel that Krystal would be an interesting character to add to Smash. She'd have a unique moveset, I suppose, different from the main Star Fox group - which is a plus. Her staff and telepathy could be played with to great extent, with some decent costume options to base her appearance from.

...-all that being said, I think Krystal is a [redacted] awful, borderline insulting character overall that basically steals the spotlight of certain moments, generally turning one of my favourite primary protagonists into a whining man-baby in the process, and should just stop being Star Fox canon anyway, so who gives a [censored]? (This is coming from someone who likes Slippy. SLIPPY.)
:happysheep:

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
Krystal is much better than any other potential starfox character as she has a potential for a completely different moveset.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Krystal has this B-moveset, I will LAUGH. Especially because three of the four already have basis in Star Fox Adventures:

* :GCN::GCB:: Fire Blaster
* :GCR::GCB:: Flash Step dash (like Fox Illusion)
* :GCD::GCB:: Reflector Shield
* :GCU::GCB:: Rocket Boost

Also, I hate the argument that Krystal should get in because she has "unique moveset potential" despite the fact she can also very well have a semi-cloned special set from Fox, too. Come up with a better argument.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
If Krystal has this B-moveset, I will LAUGH. Especially because three of the four already have basis in Star Fox Adventures:

Also, I hate the argument that Krystal should get in because she has "unique moveset potential" despite the fact she can also very well have a semi-cloned special set from Fox, too. Come up with a better argument.
She can be a clone, no ****, just like any other character can. Remember when people said rosalina would be a peach clone?

But she should get in because she can be unique, which is the most important thing in a game like this

How about you come up with a better counter-argument

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86

Even so, if she was a semi-cloned it wouldn't matter. You have a very fatalistic view on her moveset anyway. Yeah of-course anyone with a projectile could be a clone of other people.

Like I know I'm a pretty big decenter of Krystal as a character because she could be so much more than she already is, but like come on now. It doesn't mean she would be some sort of throw away trash or whatever.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Even so, if she was a semi-cloned it wouldn't matter. You have a very fatalistic view on her moveset anyway. Yeah of-course anyone with a projectile could be a clone of other people.

Like I know I'm a pretty big decenter of Krystal as a character because she could be so much more than she already is, but like come on now. It doesn't mean she would be some sort of throw away trash or whatever.
It's just that Krystal ranges from meh to "Oh my God, shut up" as a character. Her first two appearances fulfilled the former, as there was nothing interesting about her. Then Command came around and drove her deeper into the ground.

Top Bottom