• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

DeNice

Smash Cadet
NNID
DeNice1776
3DS FC
2509-1398-2342
I was here once before but its nice to see this baby get back up. As I had a feeling, Sakurai and company was up to something behind the scenes for the Wii U version and now it's starting to come to light. That being said, I still have my hopes up for Krystal and Dixie Kong, and when I think about what happened with the reason why Chrom missed the cut (since he would have been 'just another sword user'), Wolf's special moves being moved over to Fox's customs, and the fact that Krystal hasn't shown up on the Orbital Gate convo (yet) still makes me suspicious about her inclusion. On the same token, I do find it really odd that on the 3DS version, the alternate song to Corneria is specifically a Star Wolf mix and not something else (and Lylat Cruise coming back as a stage, despite that being quite minor for character basing), so I still have a feeling if there's gonna be more DLC then Wolf may still squeeze back in. And then again, considering the "Year of Star Fox" is coming up for 2015, there's the slim possibility that BOTH can make the cut. Just seems this whole Mewtwo deal has opened up Endless Possibilities (thanks Sonic, lol) that I'm pretty sure Nintendo would want to take advantage of to maximize Smash 4's value. Until Nintendo officially comes out and says that's the end of incoming content for the title, I'm gonna keep optimistic. It REALLY does feel like Krystal's best shot in getting into Smash after all, and personally, I'm glad Mewtwo killed the belief that 'all because you're a trophy, that locks you out of ever being playable.' Always thought that was silly considering DLC being a thing these days.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As far as my DLC ideas go Krystal is in the "want but don't expect" bracket.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Well really, if there are 5-6 DLC characters, and you exclude Mewtwo who is already one of them as well as Ridley who apparently will never get in for some reason... Krystal should be added if we were to count only the popularity of characters. I'd see K. Rool, Dixie, Isaac, Krystal and the Ice Climbers if they manage to make them work (though I doubt it)...

However my opinion is the same as Guybrush's. I want her but I dont wanna get my hopes too high. One thing I find strange, though, is that Mewtwo is due to Spring 2015. Do they really mean to tell us that they need 3 months to create a character ? If so, that's really lulzy. I sincerely doubt they would need 3 months for a character that already has models, a base moveset and who doesn't mean to be incredibly detailed (Mewtwo is a rather simple character, design-wise). So perhaps there is more to this DLC ?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They have to be working on more (not just Mewtwo) if it's going to take that long.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
That was exactly what I was thinking.

Unless all these unfinished things have to be done by that date.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So does anyone remember when the smash 6 application was said to start?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You thinking what I'm thinking? That it was codename for Smash DLC?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I was trying to look for that, actually, but I can't find it.

If I remember correctly, it already started back in April, 2014.

Thing is, Sakurai refers to Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U as Smash 4 and Smash 5 respectively. Seeing the DLC codenamed "Smash 6" is not inconceivable, after that fact.

If it did start back in April, they will have had roughly half a year to develop the DLC.

Is it really just going to be Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage?

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I was trying to look for that, actually, but I can't find it.

If I remember correctly, it already started back in April, 2014.

Thing is, Sakurai refers to Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U as Smash 4 and Smash 5 respectively. Seeing the DLC codenamed "Smash 6" is not inconceivable, after that fact.

If it did start back in April, they will have had roughly half a year to develop the DLC.

I doubt it, Why all that time taken, for only two things, something definitely ain't kosher her

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Of course not. The amount of people on the team along with alloted time between April and Spring 2015 says to me there is going to be patches among a good amount of other DLC.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Of course not. The amount of people on the team along with alloted time between April and Spring 2015 says to me there is going to be patches among a good amount of other DLC.
I honestly get the same feeling. I think that Mewtwo was just a showcase of things to expect in the upcoming months. I don't want to have to wait 3 months just for one character.

D

Deleted member

So after my slightly long absence from Smashboards (Reason being I wanted to avoid a storm that'd eventually arrive on Smashboards & just focusing on a huge event that is happening but I'd rather not get too deep), I see this thread & others are back up! Neat!

However though, I don't know who to expect for DLC at this point.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So after my slightly long absence from Smashboards (Reason being I wanted to avoid a storm that'd eventually arrive on Smashboards & just focusing on a huge event that is happening but I'd rather not get too deep), I see this thread & others are back up! Neat!

However though, I don't know who to expect for DLC at this point.
We haven't seen much shenanigans while you were gone, tbh, but a lot of people are speculating Wolf and Krystal DLC it looks like,

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Well, didn't Miyamoto say 2015 is the Year of StarFox? If so, Sakurai would play along since it is Nintendo unlike right now's Year of Sonic. Even announcing there's gonna be Wolf and Krystal DLC will do
You have a point there. After all, if Miyamoto said that 2015 is going to be the year of Starfox, then we'll get more than just the Wii U game. We'll get to see some Starfox related content for games like SSB4 (include Wolf and Krystal hopefully as DLC), Mario Kart 8 (include Fox as a guest character for DLC), Starfox Wii U (DLC related content) , Starfox Miiverse community and Amiibo for Starfox Wii U. Hopefully Sakurai will have to play along on this since it's likely that he ' s aware of Miyamoto working on SF Wii U.

As for Krystal, I have a feeling she'll be back in the new game. If Miyamoto and Nintendo wanted to killed her off, they would have done that a long time ago. But they haven't and I doubt they are going to do it since they know that Krystal has a fanbase on it. That's why I have a feeling she'll be back in SF Wii U.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You have a point there. After all, if Miyamoto said that 2015 is going to be the year of Starfox, then we'll get more than just the Wii U game. We'll get to see some Starfox related content for games like SSB4 (include Wolf and Krystal hopefully as DLC), Mario Kart 8 (include Fox as a guest character for DLC), Starfox Wii U (DLC related content) , Starfox Miiverse community and Amiibo for Starfox Wii U. Hopefully Sakurai will have to play along on this since it's likely that he ' s aware of Miyamoto working on SF Wii U.

As for Krystal, I have a feeling she'll be back in the new game. If Miyamoto and Nintendo wanted to killed her off, they would have done that a long time ago. But they haven't and I doubt they are going to do it since they know that Krystal has a fanbase on it. That's why I have a feeling she'll be back in SF Wii U.
That actually sounds about right, maybe even a viral ad campaign

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Year of Star Fox? Wolf, Krystal or Slippy is garunteed. Unless Miyamoto pulls a new character out of his ass. If we get Krystal, yay. If we get Wolf, cool. If we get Slippy... meh. But a new character would annoy me, unless they really brought something interesting to SF, or Smash.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Year of Star Fox? Wolf or Krystal are garunteed. Unless Miyamoto pulls a new character out of his ***. If we get Krystal, yay. If we get Wolf, cool. If we get Slippy... OH GOD WHY??? But a new character would annoy me, unless they really brought something interesting to SF, or Smash.
Fixed it

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If I don't think about the fact that he was picked over Krystal / Wolf, I like the idea. But once that realization settles in, he does leave a bitter taste.

If Wolf does come back, I hope they replace whatever move they gave Fox. I really do wonder if he was planned for Smash 4 or not. Gameatsu talked about Lucas being debated on whether or not he would be cut, but not Wolf.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I willing to be that the developer's want to make a perfect 6 by 9 square with the roster. We have 50 spaces taken up so far and Mewtwo makes 51. I'm willing to bet we're getting 3 new characters for DLC. I kind of wonder if it's Chorus Men, Dixie Kong, and Impa. But then again anything seems open at the moment. If we see an announcement for the new Starfox game before the DLC characters are announced, then I'll probably think the chances for Krystal will be at an all time high.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I willing to be that the developer's want to make a perfect 6 by 9 square with the roster. We have 50 spaces taken up so far and Mewtwo makes 51. I'm willing to bet we're getting 3 new characters for DLC. I kind of wonder if it's Chorus Men, Dixie Kong, and Impa. But then again anything seems open at the moment. If we see an announcement for the new Starfox game before the DLC characters are announced, then I'll probably think the chances for Krystal will be at an all time high.
They found these arrows for DLC it seems. So it seems like there will be a seperate little page for them. IT SEEMS anyway

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be surprised if Krystal or Wolf were DLC at this point, though I'd rank Wolf less likely due to Fox already having his specials as custom moves.

Mewtwo and another Star Fox rep would knock Duck Hunt Doge and ROB down a row which would then give the single reps their own row (suggesting the single reps could get two more characters if the clones are knocked down to the bottom row). For the rest of the grid to be filled out, 3 more DLC characters after Mewtwo would have to happen. Very interesting times we're living in now.
Are we even sure that they'll do something like this in the first place for DLC characters? Didn't the data suggest arrows for different stages/characters pages? I wouldn't be surprised if we got DLC characters on another page to select from and I would find it dumb for Sakurai to limit DLC possibilities by CSS. If there's only four, I still think that we'll get DLC characters on another page.

Personally I'm optimistic about the number of DLC characters. I think there's a good chance we'll see five if not more DLC characters (though definitely not above ten).
Now is the time for us, Cerinians to be aggressive on the MiiVerse, oh and what would your reaction be to Krystal DLC
I would definitely be pleased to see Krystal as a DLC newcomer. She's the only Star Fox addition I really care for and of the characters I do want, she's the only one that wouldn't surprise me (to be honest, I'm not holding my breath for King K. Rool, much as I want him).
This would be really nice to know. I do remember discussions in the Smash community regarding Smash 6 starting in April, 2014.

Also, sources on Miyamoto saying 2015 is the year of Star Fox would be nice as well.
If I don't think about the fact that he was picked over Krystal / Wolf, I like the idea. But once that realization settles in, he does leave a bitter taste.

If Wolf does come back, I hope they replace whatever move they gave Fox. I really do wonder if he was planned for Smash 4 or not. Gameatsu talked about Lucas being debated on whether or not he would be cut, but not Wolf.
I would imagine that Wolf was planned very early on due to Sakurai stating he wanted to bring back as many characters as possible back at E3 2013. But I think that like Lucas, he ended up being the victim of getting cut relatively early in development; whenever that was due to lack of time or (more likely) seeing Ness/Fox carrying Lucas/Wolf's specials as a better move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Are we even sure that they'll do something like this in the first place for DLC characters? Didn't the data suggest arrows for different stages/characters pages? I wouldn't be surprised if we got DLC characters on another page to select from and I would find it dumb for Sakurai to limit DLC possibilities by CSS. If there's only four, I still think that we'll get DLC characters on another page.

Personally I'm optimistic about the number of DLC characters. I think there's a good chance we'll see five if not more DLC characters (though definitely not above ten).I would definitely be pleased to see Krystal as a DLC newcomer. She's the only Star Fox addition I really care for and of the characters I do want, she's the only one that wouldn't surprise me (to be honest, I'm not holding my breath for King K. Rool, much as I want him).This would be really nice to know. I do remember discussions in the Smash community regarding Smash 6 starting in April, 2014.

Also, sources on Miyamoto saying 2015 is the year of Star Fox would be nice as well.
I would imagine that Wolf was planned very early on due to Sakurai stating he wanted to bring back as many characters as possible back at E3 2013. But I think that like Lucas, he ended up being the victim of getting cut relatively early in development; whenever that was due to lack of time or (more likely) seeing Ness/Fox carrying Lucas/Wolf's specials as a better move.
Well, we have to see what happens later on. Wolf was one of my best characters in Brawl and he is like Fox, one of my favorite SF characters. Besides, the roster needs more villains in the process. Now as for Krystal, yes I do agree with you. I've been wanting her to be playable in a Smash game since Brawl. Even as of now there are still a lot of Starfox fans out there(including myself) who would love for anything to have her be playable. If you played Adventures, then it would make sense why she would make a really good choice for the SF roster and the most unique of the 4. It's regarding to her staff she has(even though Fox used it throughout the entire game but it originally belonged to her and you can bet that she knows how to use it). For DLC characters, I can bet that we'll be able to see at least 4 or 5 more to say the least. For the veterans, I can see Wolf and either Roy or Lucas come back. As for newcomers, to be fair to the fans out there, I would rather see, Krystal, Impa and either King K. Rool or Dixie Kong. After all, it is true that Miyamoto said that 2015 will be the year of Starfox so he and Nintendo are making a big deal out of it and the same goes for Zelda.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Year of Starfox, huh? I really hope we get Krystal and Wolf in. When it comes to DLC, I can see maybe 5 characters total getting in. I'd love to see Mewtwo (Confirmed), Krystal, Wolf, King K Rool, and the Ice Climbers (Although very unlikely at this point)

D

Deleted member

...I still need to get a Star Fox game someday, particularly 64.
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230950-...-starfox-wii-u-calls-this-the-year-of-starfox

"This is gonna be the year of Star Fox. I’ll play as Star Fox for awhile."
Thank you, glad to receive confirmation. Definitely looking forward to it.
Well, we have to see what happens later on. Wolf was one of my best characters in Brawl and he is like Fox, one of my favorite SF characters. Besides, the roster needs more villains in the process. Now as for Krystal, yes I do agree with you. I've been wanting her to be playable in a Smash game since Brawl. Even as of now there are still a lot of Starfox fans out there(including myself) who would love for anything to have her be playable. If you played Adventures, then it would make sense why she would make a really good choice for the SF roster and the most unique of the 4. It's regarding to her staff she has(even though Fox used it throughout the entire game but it originally belonged to her and you can bet that she knows how to use it). For DLC characters, I can bet that we'll be able to see at least 4 or 5 more to say the least. For the veterans, I can see Wolf and either Roy or Lucas come back. As for newcomers, to be fair to the fans out there, I would rather see, Krystal, Impa and either King K. Rool or Dixie Kong. After all, it is true that Miyamoto said that 2015 will be the year of Starfox so he and Nintendo are making a big deal out of it and the same goes for Zelda.
As a matter of fact, I'd bet that Krystal knows moves within the staff that Fox himself wasn't able to use in Adventures. If Krystal gets in, I'd be interested to see how much liberty they take with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Here are my ideas for The Year of Star Fox, a big advertising campaign with constant TV and viral ads, the viral ads are similar to Metroid Prime 2's marketing, Star Fox merchandise hits retail stores, such as model Arwings, Star Fox T-Shirts, and even special edition Wii U consoles, Pro Controllers, and Wii U gamepads, Star Fox Amiibo figurines, the releases of Star Fox 64, Star Fox Adventures, and Star Fox Assault on the Virtual Console, that are digitally remastered with HD graphics, Star Fox themed Smash DLC, adding Krystal and Wolf as playable fighters, two new stages on both 3DS and Wii U, (Krazoa Palace and Aparoid Homeworld on Wii U, and Fichina City from Command, and Venom from Star Fox 64), special Mii skins based on either Fox, Falco, Wolf, or Slippy for male Mii's, and Krystal for female Miis, the opening of the Star Fox Miiverse community, and the release of Star Fox Wii U (pending title), and maybe a release of Star Fox 2 on VC

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Here are my ideas for The Year of Star Fox, a big advertising campaign with constant TV and viral ads, the viral ads are similar to Metroid Prime 2's marketing, Star Fox merchandise hits retail stores, such as model Arwings, Star Fox T-Shirts, and even special edition Wii U consoles, Pro Controllers, and Wii U gamepads, Star Fox Amiibo figurines, the releases of Star Fox 64, Star Fox Adventures, and Star Fox Assault on the Virtual Console, that are digitally remastered with HD graphics, Star Fox themed Smash DLC, adding Krystal and Wolf as playable fighters, two new stages on both 3DS and Wii U, (Krazoa Palace and Aparoid Homeworld on Wii U, and Fichina City from Command, and Venom from Star Fox 64), special Mii skins based on either Fox, Falco, Wolf, or Slippy for male Mii's, and Krystal for female Miis, the opening of the Star Fox Miiverse community, and the release of Star Fox Wii U (pending title), and maybe a release of Star Fox 2 on VC
I like that idea you have there. You forgot to mention of Fox be in a guest character in Mario Kart 8 as DLC. Doing that also could help promote Starfox Wii U in every way. Anyway, I'm glad the SF series is getting the attention it needs and we fans of the series deserve some more content out of this.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A third Mario Kart DLC pack with Fox, Wolf and Penguin Luigi?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I like that idea you have there. You forgot to mention of Fox be in a guest character in Mario Kart 8 as DLC. Doing that also could help promote Starfox Wii U in every way. Anyway, I'm glad the SF series is getting the attention it needs and we fans of the deserve some more content out of this.
Yeah I did forget that, I really think Platinum is going to co-develop it, honestly if I was Miyamoto, I'd do the game's basic programming and let Platinum or Retro do the rest

D

Deleted member

I like that idea you have there. You forgot to mention of Fox be in a guest character in Mario Kart 8 as DLC. Doing that also could help promote Starfox Wii U in every way. Anyway, I'm glad the SF series is getting the attention it needs and we fans of the deserve some more content out of this.
Plus as far as I recall, its been way too long since there has been Star Fox official merchandise released.

A third Mario Kart DLC pack with Fox, Wolf and Penguin Luigi?
Complete with a Landmaster kart?

Also, I forgot how good Assault multiplayer was while playing it online with my friends.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Star Fox in Mario Kart could happen. It's a fully owned first party IP so no paper work to get in the way unlike Kirby or Pokemon.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
Aww man I just thought about something. A krystal Bayonetta costume would've been really cool. ( I'm not sure if someone already said this.)

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Yeah I did forget that, I really think Platinum is going to co-develop it, honestly if I was Miyamoto, I'd do the game's basic programming and let Platinum or Retro do the rest
I agree. Platinum Games or Retro Studios are the best choices to let them do the new Starfox Wii U game. I mean look at some of the aerial combat stages from Bayonetta 2 for instance, they could nail it like that. ^^ For the vehicles that can appear in Mario Kart 8, there could be a Starfox cup with a track from the series as part of the new tracks like what they are doing with the Mute City(F-Zero), Excitebite track and the new Animal Crossing track that's coming up from the second pack. As for the vehicles, the bike should resemble the Arwing while the kart resembles the Landmaster. For the character design for Fox, it would be based off on his design from Brawl and SSB4 and use it again for Starfox Wii U since it's his current design.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I agree. Platinum Games or Retro Studios are the best choices to let them do the new Starfox Wii U game. I mean look at some of the aerial combat stages from Bayonetta 2 for instance, they could nail it like that. ^^
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is doing it themselves if Kamiya said he gave up his dream about it, and that Miyamoto says he's the one working on it.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
For the character design for Fox, it would be based off on his design from Brawl and SSB4 and use it again for Starfox Wii U since it's his current design.
I'd rather they create brand new designs for all the star fox characters and then let them be alts for Fox, Falco, Krystal and Wolf in smash while their default designs are still command based

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Ive just read somewhere that Kid Icarus Uprising was originally planned to be a StarFox game, that makes me wonder what kind of role Krystal would've had had it not been shifted to Kid Icarus.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Ive just read somewhere that Kid Icarus Uprising was originally planned to be a StarFox game, that makes me wonder what kind of role Krystal would've had had it not been shifted to Kid Icarus.
Yeah, and from that, Sakurai would have been working on it too.

"Shoot! Missed it by just that much." -Krystal

Actually, that's very interesting. I wonder where Krystal would have been regarding Smash had Sakurai actually followed through with that?

*looks at amount of Kid Icarus content in Smash*

Darn it! Star Fox could have been like that! xD

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Actually, that's very interesting. I wonder where Krystal would have been regarding Smash had Sakurai actually followed through with that?

Oh well, C'est la vie, Krystal could and probably will be DLC, can you do another Krystal quote, finding out who got in over her, and her being angry

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

I remember. Sakurai was originally going to make a new Starfox game on the 3DS at that time. But it became Kid Icarus Uprising instead. Who knows? He may still do a new entry for SF in the future in collaboration with Miyamoto. But right now, we'll have to deal with the new entry for SF Wii U that Miyamoto is working on and that is great. Hopefully Sakurai knows that there is a huge fanbase for Krystal and there have been people who have been wanting her in the game as a playable character since Brawl. Because I do remember that during a poll when Brawl was in development, she was the most requested female character to be playable in Brawl. But now that SSB4 is going to have DLC for the first time after the Mewtwo reveal, this opens up good chances for some of the characters fans want to see come in whether it is newcomer and veteran in order to keep the game running for several more years until the next Smash game for the next-gen console. However, imagine if Miyamoto would have requested to Sakurai to include Krystal in there for SSB4 as DLC later on. What do you guys think on that?

Last edited:
Top Bottom