• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

President Iwata Passes Away..

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I feel like Iwata was the only executive in the gaming world who really understood what a game should be above all else: fun.

Every E3 you hear other devs talk about how "epic" and "cinematic" their games are. But rarely did they ever talk about how fun they were.

Iwata was the kind of guy who wasn't afraid to make a goofy video for Smash where he threw a million punches at Reggie at mach speed. Nor was he the kind of guy who objected to becoming a Muppet for E3. I think Iwata was the one person who knew that games should be fun and should be something shared with everyone.

RIP Iwata-san. I think now I finally understand.
That's because Iwata started out as a video game developer. He knew what the fans wanted, he knew that all we wanted was a fun game. And that's what he always tried to give to us.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you would like a ribbon on your avatar please PM me instead of posting here.

If you think about it... it's probably no coincidence the Direct used only Iwata's voice in the form of the puppet. Given that he already lost a lot of weight since last year... and given that the puppets were hardly an overnight process... he'd probably been in rough shape for a while.

If nothing else, at least he no longer has to experience the hardships he was going through.

Calane

Smash Ace
I really don't know what to say. I really liked Iwata, and I feel like he made Nintendo feel much more warm and friendly than other companies. He's done so much for gaming, and also for me as a gamer. I don't know him personally or anything, but it really feels like I lost a family member or a great friend. You will be sorely missed, Satoru Iwata. My condolences to his family and everyone at Nintendo.

Rest in Peace, Iwata.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
It's such a shock considering that this news came so suddenly.

R.I.P. Iwata.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I guess I could list some of my all favourite Nintendo games Iwata was involved with.

-Earthbound
-Mother 3
-Kirby's Adventure
-Kirby Super Star
-Kirby 64
-Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
-Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Zelda: Twilight Princess
-Pokemon Diamond & Pearl

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I think all of us finally understand now, Iwata-san. Your philosophy for video games is that it should be fun to play. You didn't care about the profit or the money. All you wanted was for us, the fans, to have fun. We can see from your dedication to us, that you really cared about the games you put out and you really cared about the millions of people that you have touched, even though you may not have known all of us. I don't think anyone could have been a better president of Nintendo than you. You can rest now, Iwata. Let your spirit live through the next president, through the games you have made, and through the hearts of gamers and developers around the world. Smiles and Tears, Iwata.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If you would like a ribbon on your avatar please PM me instead of posting here.

If you think about it... it's probably no coincidence the Direct used only Iwata's voice in the form of the puppet. Given that he already lost a lot of weight since last year... and given that the puppets were hardly an overnight process... he'd probably been in rough shape for a while.

If nothing else, at least he no longer has to experience the hardships he was going through.
I was just thinking this. It's eerie but I think he saw this coming, hence the weight loss thing( it typically comes with cancer), him avoiding E3, etc. it's kind of sad actually....

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields

You know the saying, you don't know what you have until it's gone... now I finally understand why Mario Maker is being made. Thanks once again, Iwata

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I was just thinking this. It's eerie but I think he saw this coming, hence the weight loss thing( it typically comes with cancer), him avoiding E3, etc. it's kind of sad actually....
Wow. The idea that Iwata might have saw this coming somehow makes me even sadder. Well, at least it didn't blindside him like it did us. That's a happy thought, I guess.

You know the saying, you don't know what you have until it's gone... now I finally understand why Mario Maker is being made. Thanks once again, Iwata
I think this will make me enjoy Mario Maker even more. Iwata's last gift to us, and what a gift it is...

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
My fellows friends, here's something to give a smooth tribute for our Nintendo's Greatest President-Satoru Iwata-San!
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Sonic_Cry_TT_TT_by_SilverAlchemist09.png

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Oh, wow... This picture is amazing. I just love it. It's happy and sad and beautiful all at the same. What are my emotions doing...?

Quotes from Iwata.

We need to change the last one.
I 101% agree with you. Nintendo needs all the fans they can get, especially in light of Iwata's death.

And that second quote made me laugh. Good ol' Iwata and his silly sense of humor...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Quotes from Iwata.

We need to change the last one.
And then the next baby boom happens in April of 2016, all of which are Nintendo fans. :p

On a serious note though, one comment on the GameXplain video really hit me hard.

"At least now he's in heaven, playing Zelda with Robin Williams."

So sad, man. If there was ever any doubt remaining in my mind to buy Mario Maker, it's gone now.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Today is a really sad day to be a Nintendo gamer. When I first learned about Iwata's death, I was devastated. If it wasn't for Iwata's hard work for Nintendo, I wouldn't be the longtime Nintendo gamer and fan I am today, and I'm sure everyone feels the same when they think about that. With that said, I just want to say thank you, Mr. Iwata. Thank you for the amazing contributions you have done to a wonderful video game company during your time as President of Nintendo.

Rest in peace, Mr. Satoru Iwata. You will be greatly missed by all of us.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
.....Thank you Mr. Iwata for introducing me to gaming. For playing your part with the Kirby games that helped me with my rough childhood. Kirby was there when I had no friends growing up. His games helped me make long lasting friends whose realtionships still exist today.

May your family, friends, and employees find peace in grieving and may you forever find peace in the afterlife.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Now that Iwata's gone I wonder who's going to step up as the new president of Nintendo?

I mean, Iwata-Miyamoto-Reggie was the Nintendo power trio for years. It's just not going to be the same without him.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I guess I could list some of my all favourite Nintendo games Iwata was involved with.

-Earthbound
-Mother 3
-Kirby's Adventure
-Kirby Super Star
-Kirby 64
-Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

-Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Zelda: Twilight Princess

-Pokemon Diamond & Pearl
Its raining pretty hard near me, I hope it slacks up soon...

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I was about to go to bed and seen this so to make it short...Iwata you are the one that has gotten me into my favorite hobby of playing videogames and I will not be the person I am today without these games.I still remember playing super smash Bros 64 at my cousins house and found it to be the greatest thing ever.May you rest in peace and still watch over us and your beloved company of Nintendo. R.I.P. Thank you God for guiding this man to do so many great things in his lifetime.May we all do the same.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I discovered this news in class.
I'm really shaken by the news. He didn't deserve to die so young.

He was the man who brought back Nintendo to the forefront after the N64 and Gamecube fell behind the Playstation. He was crucial to the success Nintendo enjoys today. He was personally involved with many, many of the games which are seen as classics to this day.

His Nintendo Directs were entertaining, and he himself was a noble man. He will live on in the hearts and minds and gamers.

We were fortunate to have a man like him among us. May he rest in peace.

---------------------------------------------

I teared up as I wrote this. :crying:

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the memories Iwata, whenever is see a red balloon, i will think of Balloon Fight and your legacy as a master programmer.
SilverEra, could you put a ribbon in my avatar, i don't know how to do it myself.
EDIT:im sorry for asking here, im just really slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

Found/remembered the best fitting song for this. It probably encapsulates all the feelings we're having in song form. At least for me it does.

It really is a Day's End, and one that's extremely lamenting. But still, a new Day follows right after. And we don't just not forget what the day prior was all about, but we build off it with the messages from that Day as guidance.

Understand?

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Thanks for everything you've done for us Iwata. Nintendo won't be the same without you.

This sucks so much, man.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Damn, news hit like a truck. He was so full of life, passionate in his work, and that made me think he wasn't even as old as 55... Am still not really sure what exactly his cause of death was, but Nintendo can be proud that this man was amongst them as it's finest president. Rest In Power Mr. Iwata. You will be severly missed. :( Thank you for all your hard work, and may your legacy live on forever.

Yes, I posted this in the Kuttroath thread to but if I'm gonna write down more I might just tear up, fighting tears is already hard as it is.

Again, thank you for everything you did. I can at least add that much. <3 **** it there goes the tears...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'd never actually cried from a famous person's death, but this officially did it. Through Nintendo Directs and the like he has made such a presence. People always made fun of him, but I always enjoyed his presentations, as well as I very much appreciate the fact that they were because of him.

He was far too young to pass away. My heart goes out so much to his family and friends.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
R.I.P Iwata. I always have and still do consider you the ideal of what a corporate video game CEO should be. Someone with actual experience producing and programming games. Someone with new ideas, who seems to have a genuine passion for video games as a medium, and an eagerness to show that passion. You were involved with some of my favorite games, and will be missed.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Wow... The sheer span and amount of respect and reverence that's been going on the past few hours in incredible. It's wonderful.

Did you know that the last thing Iwata said publicly was an apology for Nintendo's E3?
It makes a sad situation even sadder. And for a few, myself included, look back in hindsight at remarks made at E3 and wish we could take it back. Even if we simply didn't know better at the time, like we thought that Iwata would be with us for years, decades even, before retiring peacefully...not taken like this.

This one thing you mentioned will be haunting many a gamer for some time.

Top Bottom