• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

President Iwata Passes Away..

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You're all very welcome, I'm just glad to help people show their respects. :)

And now that I'm all caught up on requests, I'm going to take a break and let this thread focus on what it was meant for.

If you'd still like one, please PM me instead and I'll get it to you at some point, thanks.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Normally I'd post a Ridley gif but not this time we didn't just lose a CEO or President we lost a pioneer a fellow gamer...a friend.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
He made us laugh. He made us cry.

He made us memories we will never forget.

But most importantly..

He made us happy.

God bless you, Mr. Iwata.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I think I've learned more about Iwata in one night than I have these last few years keeping up with Nintendo related games, news, and events on the Internet. I was aware of him cutting his pay so that he didn't have to fire anyone, and his contributions to Smash 64. But I never knew about his life as a programmer, and just how much he contributed to many games that I love. I'm amazed at how much he helped get games like EarthBound on its feet (a franchise that I've been playing for the first time recently), and just his general involvement with various Nintendo projects. I pretty much grew up playing mainly Nintendo during my childhood, and their games helped me get through the stress throughout my high school years. I've always had something to look forward to from Nintendo, and it saddens me that someone responsible for many of my fondest memories has passed. Thank you, Iwata, for all of your contributions to Nintendo over the years, and the gaming industry in general, that helped shape the lives and memories of many gamers. Rest assured that because of you, I have been and always will be a Nintendo gamer. R.I.P., Satoru Iwata.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

“The president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata has passed away. He was my former employer, but even when my situation and location changed, he was always the most understanding [of me and my work]. A hard worker and a virtuous man, he always supplied me with quick, fair guidance. I believe that he was the greatest leader I could have imagined. May you rest in peace.”- Masahiro Sakurai

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Iwata did so much for the Industry. If not for him, I probably wouldn't be playing video games, and a lot of other people wouldn't either. There is no way we could ever repay him for everything he did. He touched so many people, and in an industry focused on sales, he focused on fun. RIP Iwata, thank you for everything

If I could please get an Iwata ribbon @N30N, it'd be appreciated

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
The weather forecast said it would be sunny.

They were wrong. It was rainy. Very rainy.

God Bless you Iwata. You were a gaming icon. You were a Nintendo all star. You brought joy and and laughs to many gamers. You were a great president and a great man. May your soul rest in heaven.

Let's all remember something. In a video game, the graphics, frame rate, story, or any of that matter that much. What's most important in a game, is how fun it is. Iwata knew that, and he knew it well. I hope Nintendo's future will be just as bright as when Iwata was there.

I cried. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I cried.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
We don't realize how much we take things for granted until it gets taken away from us.

Truly a great man.
The gaming world will be darker without him.

Rest in peace.

D

Deleted member

The same man who saved Mother 2, Super Smash Bros., and salvaged various games. Also the same man that made Kanto possible in Pokémon Gold & Silver when other programmers at Game Freak couldn't figure it out. We would not be here today had it not been for Iwata, so the very fact we all post on here shows that our lives have been indirectly, if not directly, impacted by Satoru Iwata. Mother 2 is one of my all-time favorite video games and Iwata's death is a reminder of how much he has shaped Nintendo and the video game industry.

I will never forget Iwata as long as I live. R.I.P. 1959-2015

D

Deleted member

N3ON, I would like an edit of this:

JX0pUVN.jpg

With the black ribbon and tears so I can use it as my avi, please.

.......I have been depressed since I saw the news during dinner break at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@ N3ON N3ON you're doing a truly great thing in this dark time. Thank you for doing this for a community that is all hurting atm.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Well... wow... I was expecting him to last a little longer, but I guess it had to happen eventually.

He was the one who helped salvage HAL Labs, thus giving us Kirby and Smash Brothers. He would go on to touch about every major Nintendo Franchise there was, from Mother to Mario, and has left a legacy on gaming few could hope to achieve. His tireless work doing programming stunts people would give up on and self sacrifice helped to make the Nintendo we know today. His Iwata Asks and Nintendo Directs helped him become the face of the company many beloved, even if it was a difficult time.

May he rest in peace, and his family and friends receive much support.

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
Here is an Iwata ribbon.

Let me know if you'd like one on your avatar.
It's very nice of you to do this! When you have the chance to, I would like one. No rush!

WHOOPS DIDN'T SEE THE TOP OF THE PAGE NVM
-Slides into PM-

Last edited:

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
Satoru Iwata left behind an incredible legacy that he inspires a whole generation of young gamers from all over the world. It is such a sad day that he died. He really loved what he did and has such passion as a game developer. Thank you for the many years of service. You’ll be missed. Rest in Peace.

He changed so many lives including mine. Nintendo was a big part of my childhood and my current life. The company inspired me to what I have become right now as a gamer. I love playing games as much as the next person because it gives me a purpose to live. I will continue doing what I love as a tribute to this wonderful man.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
A sadder day there never was for any nintendo fan, truly a remarkable man the likes of which the gaming world will never have again.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I changed my avatar accordingly for this. I would love a ribbon.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I made this about two years ago. I want to share it with this thread. It's a Game Boy rock.
This is for Iwata. Enjoy, everybody.
(spoiler)

(/spoiler)

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I've decided to honor Iwata by naming my very first amiibo, a Luigi one to be exact, after him. Right now, he's at level 10, but I'm working to have him reach level 50 in no time.

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like Iwata was the only executive in the gaming world who really understood what a game should be above all else: fun.

Every E3 you hear other devs talk about how "epic" and "cinematic" their games are. But rarely did they ever talk about how fun they were.

Iwata was the kind of guy who wasn't afraid to make a goofy video for Smash where he threw a million punches at Reggie at mach speed. Nor was he the kind of guy who objected to becoming a Muppet for E3. I think Iwata was the one person who knew that games should be fun and should be something shared with everyone.

RIP Iwata-san. I think now I finally understand.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'm still having trouble accepting this, and it's been hours since I've read the news. When you realize this man has been working for Nintendo for 30 years - longer than most of us here have been alive - you realize how much of an impact he's had on your whole life. It's scary to think about what will come next, but now's not the time for that. Now's the time for remembrance.

Thank you, Iwata. I'm happy you were able to see the return of the Nintendo World Championships - something I'm sure you've had a heavy hand in orchestrating, and a celebration of all the work you've done and all the lives you've changed. You've made history, and the world is a better place for your achievements. GG WP, and may you rest in peace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom