• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Preferred controls for sheik?

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I'm still trying to find the right control setup for shiek. Lately I've been setting the C-Stick to Attack for easy Ftilts, but I find that's making my Fsmashes slower to pull off which is one of my main kill moves.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Tap jump off
L: Jump
C stick: Attack

I'm getting used to manually smash inputs.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Right now I'm using a Wii U Pro -shakes fist at Nintendo- but here's my current set up.

R2 Grab (which is standard)
R1 Special
C stick: Smash (which is worst then Attack but I highly prefer the accuracy it give me while I adjust)
Tap jump off

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I have always used a wii classic. I have tap jump off.
Since the buttons are so close together I have no trouble reaching anything in any kind of a sequence.

vypex

Smash Cadet
I change my y to grab and z to jump, turn off tilt jump and rumble, I find having all 3 attacks lines up to be easier for me my thumb dexterity is better than my index finger lol

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I just use the default GameCube controls, so I'm curious about why someone would change it.

Last edited:

vypex

Smash Cadet
I just use the default GameCube controls, so I'm curious about why someone would change it.
customization helps alot of people, don't know why you wouldn't want to get rid of tilt jump, that alone makes all the tilts easier to pull off with out the chance of accidently jumping when you want to up tilt, For mine like i said using X for grab allows all 3 of my attacks to be lined up, free's up my hands for a more comfortable feel as i play, all just preference No one says you have to change them.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
customization helps alot of people, don't know why you wouldn't want to get rid of tilt jump, that alone makes all the tilts easier to pull off with out the chance of accidently jumping when you want to up tilt, For mine like i said using X for grab allows all 3 of my attacks to be lined up, free's up my hands for a more comfortable feel as i play, all just preference No one says you have to change them.
Oh, definitely. I turned off tap jump but left the other button assignments. I'm just not sure why I'd change the others around.

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
Oh, definitely. I turned off tap jump but left the other button assignments. I'm just not sure why I'd change the others around.
There are numerous, technical reasons to change buttons around.

You take tap jump off for a technical reason, for example, so that you do not jump in the middle of possible tilts.

On the other hand you can create a more efficient control set up to streamline your inputs.

The GC control by default has two pairs of buttons with the same macro - :GCLT:or:GCRT:for shielding and :GCY:or:GCX:for jumping.

If you hold the controller as intended, your index fingers rest on the shoulder buttons and your left thumb on the analog stick and your right thumb on either :GCCN:, :GCB:, or :GCA:.

Now, if you want to nair or fair out of shield, notice that you have to hold one of the shoulder buttons with an index finger to shield, then press:GCX:or :GCY:with your right thumb and then press :GCA: with your right thumb.

Notice how quickly your thumb must be to create this maneuver.

Now, place shield on :GCLT:and jump on :GCRT: and keep the attack button:GCA:.

If you want to nair out of shield you use your left index to shield, your right index to jump, and your right thumb to nair on :GCA:.

You minimize the time and things your right thumb has to do and you have smoother play.

It might seem silly, but in competitive play, the player who can execute faster will always have the advantage and simple control tweaks can do that.

tl;Dr set shield to L:GCLT:, jump to R:GCRT:, and you can nair out of shield easier.

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
There are numerous, technical reasons to change buttons around.

You take tap jump off for a technical reason, for example, so that you do not jump in the middle of possible tilts.

On the other hand you can create a more efficient control set up to streamline your inputs.

The GC control by default has two pairs of buttons with the same macro - :GCLT:or:GCRT:for shielding and :GCY:or:GCX:for jumping.

If you hold the controller as intended, your index fingers rest on the shoulder buttons and your left thumb on the analog stick and your right thumb on either :GCCN:, :GCB:, or :GCA:.

Now, if you want to nair or fair out of shield, notice that you have to hold one of the shoulder buttons with an index finger to shield, then press:GCX:or :GCY:with your right thumb and then press :GCA: with your right thumb.

Notice how quickly your thumb must be to create this maneuver.

Now, place shield on :GCLT:and jump on :GCRT: and keep the attack button:GCA:.

If you want to nair out of shield you use your left index to shield, your right index to jump, and your right thumb to nair on :GCA:.

You minimize the time and things your right thumb has to do and you have smoother play.

It might seem silly, but in competitive play, the player who can execute faster will always have the advantage and simple control tweaks can do that.

tl;Dr set shield to L:GCLT:, jump to R:GCRT:, and you can nair out of shield easier.
I've recently changed jump to both :GCRT: and :GCZ: to try out both. Whichever I settle with will be awesome, though, because I'm loving having my thumb better freed up for smashes/specials.

Now I just have to decide on the C-stick. Smash or tilt. Hmm...

Edit: I'm apparently bad at these forum GC button icons...

Last edited:

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
I've recently changed jump to both :GCRT: and :GCZ: to try out both. Whichever I settle with will be awesome, though, because I'm loving having my thumb better freed up for smashes/specials.

Now I just have to decide on the C-stick. Smash or tilt. Hmm...

Edit: I'm apparently bad at these forum GC button icons...
In all honesty, if you are playing Sheik, you should never be smashing.

There are key moments when you will up smash and even lesser moments in which you will forward smash but for your aerial and tilt game, you need to set it to attack.

Practice your retreating fast fall f-airs because those are literally how you approach safely on shield tbh.

Check out this vid of me and see how it is applied.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
I'm curious as to more people's setup for sheik.. with a GC and wii u pro controller.
I've been using default controls on the old wiiu pro (until I get an adapter)
but retreating FF fairs seem a lot easier with R as jump.
Does anyone use L as jump so to keep movement all on the left hand?

Equalox

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8179-8685
Buying a pro controller today,
i have been using wiimote/nunchuck since brawl but for doing Perfect pivoting and needle fidget it feels weird.
So i am going to try it, before i go out and spend $50 anyone have any complaints about it?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Buying a pro controller today,
i have been using wiimote/nunchuck since brawl but for doing Perfect pivoting and needle fidget it feels weird.
So i am going to try it, before i go out and spend $50 anyone have any complaints about it?
I really like the Pro Controller and would probably use it if I weren't already so used to the GC controller. I can't think of any major issues, as the buttons are responsive, and the controller itself is really comfortable.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Recently got my GC controller, and I found it a lot convenient when I changed the L and X (the jump button that's on the right) both to grab. tap jump off of course, and everything else is the same.

Last edited:

DrShankums

Smash Cadet
I use R for jump so I can vanish Oos, z to attack so I don't have to move off of jump, c stick tilts and y to grab. Maybe not for everyone but there's no going back for me.

Last edited:

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
I was already using C-stick for tilts for Falcon, and it seems to work really well with Sheik aswell, as accidentally imputting smashes when trying to tilt was a reason I stopped using her on the 3DS.

Top Bottom