• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predicting Online Smash Culture

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Somehow, I have this aching feeling that we're going to be pigeon-holed into playing four-person, free-for-all, full-items, stockless timed matches.
Maybe random people will get the pick for the options. Lol just stick to the friendcodes, who cares? we will exchange them in smashboards in our signature.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Well, I'm "one of those" people that doesn't care about gender. If the character kicks ***, I'll pic them. *makes you look at my avatar*

However, I probably won't play "with anyone" very much, considering my clan will practice everyday.

Now here's this:

I'm going to hate "with anyone". Imagine a stock match. I'm Zelda, He's Ike. The other two players were nice enough to lose and not dissconnect. I fair him, and he flys of the screen, getting ready to become a star, he shuts it off.

Now heres my question:

If a person loses their last life, but other people are still playing, do they still have to watch the battle? Or sent back to the "lobby"?

And even if the have to watch, will they want to leave and play another match? Yes. So, will the shut it off? Yes.

Sonicfan813

Smash Cadet
Im thinking about playing some under-used, extremely obscure character to own people online. That would make so many people angry. Either that, or start every match with the same opening moves like a taunt or a series of attacks. Something noticible that if you ever play one of those players again, they would know it was you.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Im thinking about playing some under-used, extremely obscure character to own people online. That would make so many people angry. Either that, or start every match with the same opening moves like a taunt or a series of attacks. Something noticible that if you ever play one of those players again, they would know it was you.
At the end of a tournament near my house once, a friend and I played as ness (me) and GaW (him). People were stumped how we kept beating them in team matches, it was pretty funny. Then I picked up marth who has better advantages, anyways.

Out of the characters I've seen back, I'd probably pick metaknight and ike to try out.

Of course there will always be noobs that join and disconnect or don't shut up. Just try to add enough friends that you know or people from this forum and we should be fine.

Darkurai

Smash Master
If Sonic is in the game, I expect to see him being played a hell of a lot by onliners for about a month.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Great to see I got a discussion going, matters more to me than any of my hare-brained ideas working out.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Give the average teenager a choice, he'll go with the ninja guy with the guns and bombs.
Wow.. stereotypes out the ***!

I'm not sure if i like you.

(And i realy hope you're not referring to snake) If you are, he's not a ninja, and you've never played a MGS game, dont judge.

If you arent. Well stop stereotyping, its annoying.

Xigger

Smash Lord
That seems like the worst case scenario. Without hackers sending a virus to everyone to remove Sonic from the game. You know, there could actually be people out there who seriously want to play.

narno

Smash Rookie
i hope that during a match there is a thing that makes you unable to end the game (unless you turn your wii off) or something. this would make it better and you'd probably get better faster if you werent always ending a match cos you suck.

ps. i know a kid who is 8 years old and is the best yoshi user i have ever met (in person) he has bet me a few odd times and i consider myself to be pretty good. so whos to say that the online world will be full of isiot 5 year olds, they probably don't know how to get it on the internet anyway let alone play the game

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
I'm very aware of exceptions and talent out there, paying more attention to the discussion than the arguments. Interesting to hear about the power-players under ten out there...Imagine if they stick with it a few years.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Obviously, Metaknight will be amazingly popular at first. And if it is discovered that he's actually God Tier like some people have been saying, he'll be a perennial favorite.

pud22

Smash Apprentice
Sony?!?

And people who only pick the "cool" looking characters, will be so frustrated when I kick their *** as Peach. :laugh:
lol...nice

i dont think that 5 year olds will even know how to play online let alone really want to. and as for people quitting becuz their getting *****. i doubt that. think about the ppl who play halo on xbox live. i suck at halo and i almost always come in last (don't own an x-box, play at my friends) but i still think its fun to play.

Smash Ace
here are my outlooks on each character, a '10' means they'll be used all the effing time, while a '1' means they'll nearly never be used (couldn't say '0'):
(note: these thoughts are based on chracters retaining their former Melee tiers, so this is not all going to end up beign true)

Wario: I don't expect him to be seen as often, since there are a lot of people who hate wario. nonetheless, there are always the dirty little kids who think farting is a culture of northwest Rhode Island, so they'll play him, thus he'll be a 4

Mario: I expect a few beginners here and there, and then some dedicated fansto use him. I personally am not too foind of him, but since he IS the happy medium, his score will reflect it. 5

Bowser: I can picture some n00bs trying to pick up Bowser and many failing. I don't expect his tier position to go up, so pros will most likely avoid him once again.4

Peach: This one is oone I guarentee will be dangerous. I expect to see about 96 1/2% of Peach players being pro, the rest being 6-7-year old girls. 4

Donkey Kong: generally not a very often used character, I expect him to remain in that locale (no offense to DK users, I like the ape myself) 2

Diddy Kong: I picture n00bs fascinated in his peanut popper and jetpack, and I can also envision several SWFers picking this one up. 4

Link: if Link is top tier, he'll have a 14/10. I hope he isn't, because then I'll be able to generalize who is a pro and who is a n00b. everyone and their dogs, heck, even their dogs' dogs, will be playing as Link at one time or another. you might even get a lady in here and there saying he's hot. easily a 10

Zelda: she might be scarcely used, and I don't epect to see her very much in a tourney-style game. nontheless, she is awarded a 5

Samus: Samus is going to be used alot, and I'm ready to face it *chooses Fox, holds down down+B for the rest of the match* pros and n00bs alike will use her, but if it all boils down to itl, I'd say she comes slightly short of Link. 9

Zero Suit Samus: being the controversial character that she is (ie: inability to use, etc.) I will not comment on her here. you'll have to wait 63 days from October 1. N/A

Lucas: I expect this one to be used by pros, but for unkown reasons, I envision him as low tier, which may make him scarcely used anywhere. n00bs will view him like they did Ness, and that will lower it even further. nontheless, he gerts a 2

Yoshi: if I see a Yoshi player, I might just end up choosing Pichu just to pwn them and laugh (well, assuming Pichu is in, eh?). yioshi will be a nearly all-n00b character. 4

Kirby: surprsingly, I expect Kirby to be set at a happy medium, as opposed to underpowered in 64 and overpowered in Melee </sarcasm>. 7

Meta-Knight: I envision him as high tier or better, and so I can see a lot of hard-to-beat Meta-knights lingering out there. in a n00b's eye though, they're like: "he's a stupid puffball with a swrod, how gay." therefore, since I believe the n00bs outnumber us 1000/1 give or take 50 or so, I'll give him a 3

Fox: pros love him, I think he's underpowered hardcore (come on, we all know Fox's shine should be a 5% KO and his upsmash should kill on contact), and n00bs will probably think he's S0000 c000000lll1!1111!!!11!23322435422554446332728848248877 8

Pikachu: There will be those classic users of Pikachu such as myself back in the '64 days (and a little into Melee; if Roy and Doc is getting the boot, I'm going back to maining him alone for the 3rd time) and the pokemaniacs who think that pokemon such as Burmy or happiny are the way to go will probably main him a little. he gets about a 2 because of...

Pokemon Trainer: after catching a glance at this guy, the n00bs will flee from Pikachu like Kirby users did come Melee. they'll be like ZOMG@@@@@@2222 YOU CNA E ASH IN THIZ GAMZORZ LOL!!@!!!@@#! ROLF!?!213224153653785623907683174896283768923746978962897arrrrgggggghhh111
Uhhh... yeah. I'm expceting overuse from nubz, and a little from the rest of us... unless he's top tier. 6

Ike: I'm expecting overuse here. I believe that some nubz who thought Marth was so uberly cool (he wasn't, okay?) to use him thinking that he is Marth, and then there will be the n00bs thinking that the guy with the sword is SO AWESOME LOLZ!!!11. then there's always that5 lone girl player who will pick him thinking he's hot (see Link) 9

Ice Climbers: I view them pretty much the same as Peach, minus the little girls and a few pros. need I say more? 3

Pit: More from the overused department. he's going to be in the same breed as Links and Ikes, because of looks, swords, skills, etc. he also appears to be a high-tier character, but I could be mistaken. heh, Pit could suck. nontheless, I am forseeing a 10

Snake: anyone who likes Gaystation is guarenteed to pcik him up. I forsee them as n00bs, maybe because of any possible interest with THE ENEMY. I also see n00bs thinking the dude with the guns/bombs/etc. is awesome. for some reason I see him as mid-tier or low tier, thus pros might end up avoiding him. here's for a 9 nonetheless.

There's my views on each character. I'll update this again come a newcomer. Like it? Hate it? Think I'm actually going to give a crap, let alone value your opinion?

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
I am praying that there is a way to select the skill level of those you face. I wish it was more like halo with a profile with rankings and stats.

The way it looks though, everytime you do a random match you're going to get a random fight. You'll never know if your opponent will be a complete noob, someone whose good, or someone who will quit the match right when it starts.

Let us pray.

pud22

Smash Apprentice
I am praying that there is a way to select the skill level of those you face. I wish it was more like halo with a profile with rankings and stats.

The way it looks though, everytime you do a random match you're going to get a random fight. You'll never know if your opponent will be a complete noob, someone whose good, or someone who will quit the match right when it starts.

Let us pray.
lol...good point

hue_jass

Smash Cadet
I have a feeling nothing will change from SSBM the popular characters will be the ones that seem slightly OP on the beginner level. In my travels and random play with random people, on the "beginner" and non-hardcore level the characters that seem to be the best will be most played, in SSBM fox , falco, marth,link and sheik seem to be the most played characters. I'm guessing because they are faster (fox, falco, shiek) and have very spammable attacks (link, shiek), or in marths case very spammable smash attacks. Or they have some novel play mechanic (shine, bombs, arrows, sword) that make them seem better against other noobs trying to use a character with harder to control moves like ness.

It's just gonna be the characters that seem the best to noobs, I don't think fanboyism has as much of an impact on player choice than who seems best. I mean little kids like to play pokemon but once they start getting juggled by the "fox" of the next game they'll all start playing him cause he's "better"

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I'm using Metaknight and with his moveset being confirmed already all I need is his FS. As for now I'm thinking of combos with him. Others I will use will be based on speed and yes Sonic is in that category.

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
i see certian characters being used by everyone... and people quitting games when they are losing
If there is some sort of record keeping system for your online profile, when you leave a match it should be counted against your record and count for a win for the other. Just like any other game. If there isn't a record keeping system....this could be the reason I never play online...

Let us pray...again..

Aceleeon

Smash Cadet
agreed. the player makes the charecter. unless theres an exploit,*cough WD cough* than get ready to be a zombie (aka like evreyone else) or fight a million of them. either way, im glad to hear that Kentalicous is sticking to his charecter. thats love right there. hhaha.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
no, the bad players will get worse because a majority of the time they will be playing against bad players like themselves.

brawl1994

Smash Journeyman
here's a new concept, FRIEND CODES, when Brawl does come out, there will be a massive thread of every1's friend's codes, i'll just use those, and use tourny rules (only stock, no items, basic stages, etc.)

Hong

The Strongest
And there is the female crowd like myself who is drawn to cute characters or the bishounen factors. xP

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
*shrugs.* No point in trying to throw out demographics pertaining to Brawl's online. It's a matter of evolution, one that has endless possibilities.

I mean, I'm twenty-one and I'm probably gonna end up having Metaknight and Sonic as my primary mains. My secondaries are probably gonna be Peach, Ridley (assuming he's in), Dedede, and Ice Climbers. Sooo, what crowd do I fall under?

Smooth Criminal

greenblob

Smash Lord
Somehow, I have this aching feeling that we're going to be pigeon-holed into playing four-person, free-for-all, full-items, stockless timed matches.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108646

Anyway, I hope it's similar to Kaillera, even though Kaillera isn't without its faults. At least people play by tournament rules there and most people don't d/c when they're losing.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Although this has probably been brought up, a LOT of Smash players are going to be Sonic fan-creepies who are finally happy that Sonic is appearing in a (somewhat) 3D game that doesn't suck.

If Krystal is in, DON'T expect lots of furries to suddenly start playing Brawl. A lot of the more intelligent furries actually hate Krystal as a character due to her being total stereotype. Most of the "furries" playing as Krystal are going to be Sonic fans who think they're furries or Starfox fans.

Being an anthro artist myself, I can understand why this applies. Krystal is a horrible character (or at least she was prior to Command).

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
I think Smash community is so strong is b/c like the characters in the game, we all have a real life outside of smash. Mario, Bowser, Samus, and Link are all workaholics in Nintendo. And I am ummm a colledge student, lol...hey I work, too.

spikehappy07

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo, CA. Its a small city whom many people ove
Hey, at least you're in an actual college! I'm in a crappy community college.

Anyway on topic. Loyal smashers will partake in any form that is smash-related. I'm glad that when the game comes out, I can happilly Pm people for friend codes, Hopefully pros like gimpyfish or eggz.

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
Heres an example.

3 words only.

Mario Strikers Charged.
Agreed. Anyone without a background in this, One randomly selected player gets to pick character first, and the the stage is random. Items and other options, such as match length, and # of games in the series, are always the same. Matchups are made by how many points the players have. Point are awarded 10 for a win, 1 for a loss, and 1 for each goal scored, with score resetting every Sunday at midnight.

Now, SSBB already has way more options than Strikers does, so I get the feeling that there'll be a few more options in which type game to play. At least a Time, Stock, Coin, or Style Match, and Items level. It'll be way too hard to match a game based on a specific set of items, or specific stock amount or time limit.

EDIT
Oh! I forgot to comment on the main idea of the thread. I think there won't be much culture at all without voice chat or lobbies. We'll just see a lot of players playing better as a result of playing A LOT of people. Most 'noob' or non-advanced players now only play with a small group and never get the chance to see new styles in action. With more opponents and more games being played, we'll all get a lot better a lot faster.

headbusa

Smash Cadet
well i know that everyone im gonna play with is going to get around the obvious problem of no voice chat or chat device by having ventrilo open and if we play with people we meet here we sure as hell are gonna invite them to get on and chill with us. I'm sure there will be a little more in depth online play then mario strikers charged, seriously this is like a crowning achievement in sak's book of goodies hes gonna make it better then charged.

crush_T_asain

Smash Apprentice
i think ur underestimating everyone im guessing theyre will be roughly 1 horrible player (like hopping around or midless charging at people) every 5-10 games because if they just 5 or so olds they wont buy the game feb 10th the first week or so will be mainly us SWF people and such aka people who have planned there feb 10th weekend for along time...but after the first week some noobs will start filling the online crowd but they wont be like those mindelss noobs thell be people who have played melee and got all the chars and stuff but wont have done like wd or l-cance and the like... now a month later well start seeing more of the mindless noob crowd just charging but i think everyone will have found a good number of friends and wont be playing random anymore so theres no real problem...

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Online is going to be what we make it. I personally like that you're going to have to rely on a system like SWF to help communicate Brawl codes. Do you really want a bunch of little kids playing in games with you? Those who look to get the best will find the best through organized tournaments or forums such as this.... I'm really looking forward to it... you can't always have an organized match in person... online... only requires you and another to be in front of your own televisions...

crush_T_asain

Smash Apprentice
only requires you and another to be in front of your own televisions...
I agree, smash is one game that needs the satisfaction of annocing your victory in person in the same room...it shouldnt be played out by some meaningless dance on the tv screen

ill prob be playing just normal "in the same room" brawl probaly
via wi-fi is reserved for when no1 else is open to play some smash( saying this it would be the best feature ever if i there 2 people in the same room could still play wi-fi with some more people in other rooms)

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
I wanna play as Ike, Lucas, MetaKnight, and Bowser..... which category do I fall under? Also, if anyone has played jump Ultimate Stars on Wi-Fi, thats what I picture the SSBB online community to be like. (disregard the previous sentence if you haven't)

Top Bottom