• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Powershielding problems

Hey guys, I need a hand here.

I don't know about you, but to me Sonic is far to easy to powershield, and is very difficult to do it back.

Same thing goes with spotdodges. Even if i pull of a great spotdodge, I can rarely counter attack, unless the opponent is really slow.

Sonic's standard combo, f-tilt, d-tilt, U-smash D-smash, to name a few, can all be easily powershielded, and will be punished, unless they connect. But they are really too slow. I mean sure, dash > u-smash gets rid of that, to a degree, but for the rest, it is a problem.

When I try to p-shield anyone elses standered combo, falco and fox particularly, the attacks are so fast that its impossible.

Can anyone suggest a foolproof, or at least a really good way to powershield better, and counterattack better after a spotdodge against fast and slow characters alike?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I need a hand here.

I don't know about you, but to me Sonic is far to easy to powershield, and is very difficult to do it back.

Same thing goes with spotdodges. Even if i pull of a great spotdodge, I can rarely counter attack, unless the opponent is really slow.

Sonic's standard combo, f-tilt, d-tilt, U-smash D-smash, to name a few, can all be easily powershielded, and will be punished, unless they connect. But they are really too slow. I mean sure, dash > u-smash gets rid of that, to a degree, but for the rest, it is a problem.

When I try to p-shield anyone elses standered combo, falco and fox particularly, the attacks are so fast that its impossible.

Can anyone suggest a foolproof, or at least a really good way to powershield better, and counterattack better after a spotdodge against fast and slow characters alike?
Why do you spotdodge physical attacks?

Shield is almost always a better choice unless:
a) The attack eats shield/can shield poke very easily.
b) The attack has alot of shieldpush/shieldstun.
c) The attack is a grab.

If you normal shield an attack and release ASAP, you get shieldstun+ 7 frames of 'release' lag. If you spotdodge an attack as it 'hits' you, you get about 20+ frames of dead time. Shielding is almost always the better option if you want to counterattack.

Try shielding based on prediction and/or spacing. Like if your opponent has amazing reflexes/tries to hit you with the 'tip' of his range often, then you can pretty much gamble on the attack being 'cast' as soon as you get in its range. So if you have an idea of what move they'll use (tilt? smash? projectile? etc), just tap shield when you get in range.

You get the pshield effect if the opponent's attackbox overlaps your shield's area when you pull it up. You can make that easier/'safer' to do if you tilt the shield towards your opponent.

Also, try NOT attacking, at least, not immediately, if your opponent is in a neutral state. If you just try to attack as soon as you get in range to, or on your first approach, then you become really predictable and easy to powershield.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Well, use OoS options.
Out of Shield options. If A fox jabs at you, try to grab out after you shield the first punch. Dont forget Sonic's Attacks are not exactly fast, save for his tilts. Use tilts more often. Attacking isnt always recommended, though. Sometimes, you gotta run away and try to mindgames to confuse your opponent.

Why do you spotdodge physical attacks?

Shield is almost always a better choice unless:
a) The attack eats shield/can shield poke very easily.
b) The attack has alot of shieldpush/shieldstun.
c) The attack is a grab.
I don't spotdodge very often true, i don't find it very reliable, but the attacks that come are mainly grabs, so it comes down to predicting whether the opponent will attempt a grab, or an attack. The problem is if I spotdodge a grab, Sonic's spotdodge + grab is too slow to grab/attack them back, they can spot dodge me almost straight away and go for another grab or attack. Is their a way to *quickly* dodge a grab/attack and counterattack back straight away?

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
SH bair is amazing for punishing spotdodges.

So yeah..

I didn't read your OP.

I just saw the words "spotdodge" and "can't"

Then again. Those word could lead to plethora of other questions.

meh

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't spotdodge very often true, i don't find it very reliable, but the attacks that come are mainly grabs, so it comes down to predicting whether the opponent will attempt a grab, or an attack. The problem is if I spotdodge a grab, Sonic's spotdodge + grab is too slow to grab/attack them back, they can spot dodge me almost straight away and go for another grab or attack. Is their a way to *quickly* dodge a grab/attack and counterattack back straight away?
probably jab or tilt.

but recently, I'd just hold shield and then grab them out of their spotdodge lol.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You'll get shielded and grabbed out of a ton of stuff if you don't space correctly. And with some characters no matter what spacing you use you can get grabbed anyways.

It sucks to play Sonic :x

On a more helpful note, it is difficult for a lot of people to deal with dash attacks given that you travel through your opponent once it connects. It's weak, but it can help create openings in players that play a counter-attack/defense minded game.

I find a slight problem with using dash attacks and side-b, down b, because i tend to get grabbed out of them. It is, essentially, really easy to grab Sonic out of a SDR, or dash attack. Anyone have a solution to that?

Tenki

Smash Hero
don't use them when your opponent is in a neutral state, but as punishers.

>_>

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
If your having trouble power (perfect?) shielding, try spamming a fairly slow, constant speed moving projectile and try shielding that. Pikachu's Neutral B is a very good power sheild trainer. Once you can do that 100% of the time, get someone to randomly use Pikachu and spam it whilst moving around (use a CPU if you want and just concentrate on shielding any thunder jolts it fires)

Once you've got the hang of that, move onto faster things (e.g Smash attacks, faster projectiles). Don't get obsessed with it though or you'll end up trying to power shield everything...which won't work at all xD

Top Bottom