• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PowerPlay May 22nd -Memphis, TN

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
NOTE: This tournament is BYOC (Bring your own Controller). Also Gamecube setups are welcome. We prefer to stick with the house monitors for this tournament, please. :)

--------------------------Smash Brothers Melee Tournament!!!!-------------------
841 N. Germantown Pkwy
Memphis, TN, 38018

Saturday May 22th at 4 p.m.
1v1
$20 Entry. Cash Pot (70/20/10)

Rules:
4 stock, no items, 8 minute time limit
Opponents choose their characters for the first match.
The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List.
The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the neutral stage list or counter pick stages.
The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
The loser of the previous match chooses their character.

~Random stages~

Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

~Counter pick stages~

Rainbow cruise
Kongo Jungle
Jungle Japes
Mute City
Corneria
Brinstar

BunBun

Smash Master
Still, a 70/20/10 split when iori is there gives little incentive to do anything. If 20 people show up, 3rd still doesn't make a profit.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
we could just host our own tournament..........

edit:
>_> I need Melee practice you whores. Well maybe if you guys aren't there I can place better.
what part of memphis do you live in? Theres a group that ranges from 3-10 people that play at least once a week

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Bun Bun, I'm too lazy to go way out to your house. You should come to midtown so I can show you my moves.

Also Jartravious I live in the ghetto just above midtown.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
Yea bun you got to get at us soon.

Cyner I have a friend that lives in Midtown and can get people to go to his house so PM me your number or something and we can definitely give you a call when we get some games in

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
yea it is but i doubt melee related things will go down. maybe on monday or something though.

who all is planning on going to this tournament?

BunBun

Smash Master
Me, because I need money and both iori and jack are out of town. As long as nite doesn't come (<3 you brandon), I'm gaurenteed 2nd. If I do well vs ambix, 1st isn't unforseeable.

Or, you know, Patrick could just not show up and let me have some **** money

Ambix

Smash Ace
I'll be there.

Free money is free.

Iori is also in oklahoma so he isn't coming which makes me sad.

I'd be down if you guys ever want to get a local tournament series going. I only go to powerplay to win money and hang with you guys.

jar said:
Yea bun you got to get at us soon.

Cyner I have a friend that lives in Midtown and can get people to go to his house so PM me your number or something and we can definitely give you a call when we get some games in
Would appreciate it if you could hit me up when this goes down as well.

I've been wanting to play you for a while now.

bunBun said:
Me, because I need money and both iori and jack are out of town. As long as nite doesn't come (<3 you brandon), I'm gaurenteed 2nd. If I do well vs ambix, 1st isn't unforseeable.

Or, you know, Patrick could just not show up and let me have some **** money

We'll see~

Zero might be coming as well.

EDIT: cyner you got aim or MSN?

EDIT 2: Yall **** need to hit me up more often....I have ASS loads of free time to smash when i'm not out putting job applications in.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
**** I kinda wish I could show up now but its ian's bday so i doubt i'll be there.

@ambix we definitely need to get a local tournament night going, we could even do a ranbat so people would show up more

BunBun

Smash Master
Who is zero lol?

Also, this 70/20/10 **** is dumb with their 10 venue fee. 10 people have to show up for 2nd place to get his money back. 20 for 3rd.

Ambix

Smash Ace
What I don't understand is that Street Fighter only costs 5$ entry.

It's called price gouging.

@ambix we definitely need to get a local tournament night going, we could even do a ranbat so people would show up more
I'd be down as long as it's in memphis(ish) area.

I know a couple people up in memphis who'd love the idea of a ranbat for melty blood too.

Got a venue in mind?

Who is zero lol?
You've met him.

He's the ness main in the runaway 7.

BunBun

Smash Master
What I posted a few hours ago:
Is there any chance you guys will drop/ significantly lower the venue fee?
70/20/10 pot split when only half the entry money goes to the pot means that for 2nd to just get his money back, there have to be at least 10 people. For third, that jumps to 20 people. The venue can't handle much more than that.
Couple this wit...h the fact that the tournament is a random assignment into a double elim bracket, and you have a lot of people paying 20 dollars to go 0-2 in about 20 to 30 minutes. That hardly seems fair to them.
The way this is set up, the entire tournament, start to finish, will only be about 2-2.5 hours. I'm not trying to be a female dog about this, and you're obviously allowed to charge whatever you want, but can you guys explain why the venue fee costs so much?

At least give us pools to seed the brackets, or lower (abolish?) the venue fee. Either way, def. return the pot split to the more sane 60/30/10.

If it continues like this, less and less people will come.

Ambix

Smash Ace
If it continues like this, less and less people will come.
Which is funny because quite literally no one showed up.

This is probably my last powerplay.

I'm still down to smash whenever you guys get together though.

Peace and hairgrease ****.

Top Bottom