• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Powering Up Link in accordance with Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negalith

Smash Cadet
So today it was revealed that Link might possibly get a down A meteor move in Smash for Wii U/3ds. My question is this: Who thinks that Link should get a similar treatment in Project M? Is this move overpowered? Does it look like a viable option in gameplay? In my opinion, Link still needs a little something to make up for his overall weaker recovery game, and honestly giving Link a buff like a meteor could be just what he needs to make him an overall better fighter. Especially since in my opinion the move is still unsafe in certain situations, but what do you guys think? (As a sidenote, I would like it to be known that I'm not really a Link player. Snake and Mario are my mains in P:M, I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about this and to see if you guys agree that Link could use a little more power.)

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Please practice Aerial Glide Toss, Bomb Jumps, and Hookshot recovery, a good place to start is watching some high level Link play at recent tournaments (Like Hylian) as well as reading the Link boards for some tips, because Link's recovery, while being something you have to master, is no where near weak. As for getting Smash 4 changes, I don't think he needs anything from that, I'd rather PM keep doing what they're doing, as I'm afraid Link probably won't be all that viable in Smash 4 (since Sakurai hates Zelda characters that aren't Sheik)

At least the screenshots are starting to show off some interesting things for Smash 4.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Link players use Dair on stage as a kill move as a followup.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
Down throw to down air is one of Link's better ways of killing currently. Making his down air a meteor would be a large nerf, not a buff.

Edit: I just found the Smash 4 picture and his down air seems to function like toon link's in brawl where it is a meteor on the startup at the tip of his sword. I'm still not a fan. With how long that move stays out I just see people meteor canceling and getting a free punish. Not to mention it makes toon link and link more alike.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We'd prefer to keep Project M unique from Smash 4. It doesn't really attract players if we just do what Smash 4 is doing, and our current players are satisfied with how Link's Down-Air functions.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention that the PMBR has already given every character and their mother a new meteor smash.

Sonic, Toon Link, and Lucario all come to mind. It's not really a unique ability if everybody has one.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Please practice Aerial Glide Toss, Bomb Jumps, and Hookshot recovery, a good place to start is watching some high level Link play at recent tournaments (Like Hylian) as well as reading the Link boards for some tips, because Link's recovery, while being something you have to master, is no where near weak. As for getting Smash 4 changes, I don't think he needs anything from that, I'd rather PM keep doing what they're doing, as I'm afraid Link probably won't be all that viable in Smash 4 (since Sakurai hates Zelda characters that aren't Sheik)

At least the screenshots are starting to show off some interesting things for Smash 4.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Link players use Dair on stage as a kill move as a followup.
What match is that in your sig?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Smash 4 ain't touchin my Link.

Negalith

Smash Cadet
Ok, my apologies for the bad call. As stated, I'm not a Link player, so to me it feels like he has a weaker recovery outright than, say, Snake, or Metaknight. However, it is interesting and educating to hear all of these responses. All a part of becoming more knowledgeable about the game.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Link's recovery can be predicted, but he has flexible options with AGT, Zair, and Bomb Jumps to preserve his second jump. Link's Dair is a high risk/high reward move by design.

IMO, design wise he really just needs no more than a few things tweaked to his overall versatile gameplay.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
And a back-air with KO potential.
I forgot about that with the Links. Whoops.

Anyways, I think the discussion on this has basically finished. But for future reference, please make character-specific topics in the Character Subforums. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom