• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
This leak also had a lot of effort put into it, and we ALL know how well THAT went:

But still this one seems a lot more reasonable and a lot more "Sakurai"-ish
That leak barely had effort put into it at all. Most of the character art was either a slight change, or was just taken from other character artworks or DeviantArt submissions.

And remember, there was NO evidence to support it whatsoever. There is evidence for this one.

Last edited:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
What are these fallacies?
"Disablad" is a big one. The common explanation given is that it was intentionally altered to be "disablad" but can we really just accept that explanation?

If we allow that explanation to be accepted for every leak we want to be true, they can all be true.

"So what if this roster has Phineas and Ferb and Ichigo, those are intentional mistakes to throw people off!"

"
Oh, alright! :) "
I'm not saying that the prevailing explanation is wrong, but just that we should be wary with explanations like that.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
"Disablad" is a big one. The common explanation given is that it was intentionally altered to be "disablad" but can we really just accept that explanation?

If we allow that explanation to be accepted for every leak we want to be true, they can all be true.

"So what if this roster has Phineas and Ferb and Ichigo, those are intentional mistakes to throw people off!"

"
I'm not saying that the prevailing explanation is wrong, but just that we should be wary with explanations like that.
Intentionally altered to be "disablad"? The photo is blurry. You can't really tell if it's an a or an e, and when I first read it, it looked like an e to me.

But if we assume this whole leak was some elaborate fake made by a really skilled photoshopper with a lot of free time, would he really misspell the word "disabled"?

Last edited:

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice

"
The most reasonable rebuttal to 'disablad' has been that in early Melee leaks, Ganondorf's name was horribly misspelled also.

Personally I just think it's poor image compression of a low-resolution screen.

Spiderfog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spiderfog
3DS FC
4425-1483-7986

"
Yeah. MASTERLINKX said he did that intentionally to help make it look fake so the leakers didn't lose their jobs. Whether that's himself trying to save his back or if that's legit, we'll have to wait 'til Sakurai reveals another character.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Intentionally altered to be "disablad"? The photo is blurry. You can't really tell if it's an a or an e, and when I first read it, it looked like an e to me.

But if we assume this whole leak was some elaborate fake made by a really skilled photoshopper with a lot of free time, would he really misspell the word "disabled"?
I don't know, would he? Only the leaker knows the truth right now. We can have good guesses, but until we see a new render that matches one of the new renders in the picture, or we see something that deconfirms a character in the leak, or even until the game is released, we can only make good guesses. We can't be 100% until there is absolutely no doubt.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Don't think Sakurai and the others can't make mistakes.

That's right, I'm talking to you, "Zaro Suit Samus".

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
The chances are extremely small that it was a lucky guess. And even if it was, there are many other things he had to account for:
- The Ninka/Vaanrose leak
- The thicker line under Kirby
- Would have to photoshop each stage image and character image individually
- A TON of other things

I would think not even a Smash faker is this dedicated.
Yeah, we get it. You believe this "leak" is real. Doesn't mean everyone has to believe what you believe. Clearly, if this is fake, then the person who did it is very clever. There's no doubt about that. Although, to be precise, it was most likely a group of people who worked on it all together. They could have been checking each others' work to look for mistakes, quality, etc.

Keep in mind, this
is what you consider to be "proof" that this is real. Not even evidence to support it, but flat out proof. Look at it. Can you even see it without it being zoomed in? If you're going to fake something, the best way to do it is to make if a very low-quality picture. The picture of the loch ness monster and pictures of big foot have done the same thing. People fake some really low quality pictures and lots of people believe it whole-heartedly.

And obviously someone is dedicated. MasterLinkX said he spent 50 hours editing pictures for this "leak."

samsparta21

Smash Ace
This just keeps getting more and more confusing. So we've got an ESRB worker who leaked photos to a 4chan troll, however the pictures were messed with at some point by Masterlinkx to make it look fake, and the leaks happened at the same time as another virtually identical set of characters leaked by Ninka.

I don't even.

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Are you seriously comparing multiple decade old pictures of a giant monkey man and a sea monster to a picture of a house from a video game?

At least you can SEE it.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Are you seriously comparing multiple decade old pictures of a giant monkey man and a sea monster to a picture of a house from a video game?

At least you can SEE it.
Uhm, yeah. I am comparing them. Someone takes a bad quality picture of something that other people want to see. That sentence describes both this leak and the loch ness monster picture. But I think you're missing the point. The point is, that the best way to fake something is to make it low-quality. Obviously it's harder to fake something that is really high quality. Take this "leak" for example. They're bad pictures of menus (for the most part) of the 3DS version of the game (which is lower resolution). That is the easiest thing to try to fake when it comes to Smash 4. So, you put a lot of effort into it and boom, you've won over a bunch of people.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Uhm, yeah. I am comparing them. Someone takes a bad quality picture of something that other people want to see. That sentence describes both this leak and the loch ness monster picture. But I think you're missing the point. The point is, that the best way to fake something is to make it low-quality. Obviously it's harder to fake something that is really high quality. Take this "leak" for example. They're bad pictures of menus (for the most part) of the 3DS version of the game (which is lower resolution). That is the easiest thing to try to fake when it comes to Smash 4. So, you put a lot of effort into it and boom, you've won over a bunch of people.
He had no choice but to make it low quality. He's showing an entire stage select screen. And you're not even counting the fact that no one knew about this room, so even if he's faking it and making it low quality and all that, he still had to somehow know about that room.

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
This has probably already been mentioned, but check this out if it hasn't: en . wikipedia . org/wiki/Entertainment_Software_Rating_Board#Hidden_content (remove the spaces from in-between the periods) This states that developers must show all unlockable and hidden content, while this doesn't disconfirm the leak, it does make it seem like this is the final character and stage roster (which in my opinion is very disappointing) This is assuming the leak is true, which it might not be. (personally I'm neutral but leaning towards fake)

samsparta21

Smash Ace
This has probably already been mentioned, but check this out if it hasn't: en . wikipedia . org/wiki/Entertainment_Software_Rating_Board#Hidden_content (remove the spaces from in-between the periods) This states that developers must show all unlockable and hidden content, while this doesn't disconfirm the leak, it does make it seem like this is the final character and stage roster (which in my opinion is very disappointing) This is assuming the leak is true, which it might not be. (personally I'm neutral but leaning towards fake)
That's actually rather interesting. Because it's been confirmed the leaked character selection screen is not the full roster. However the last five characters must have been in the video somewhere. Why wouldn't the leaker get pictures of those last few characters?

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see why the character and stage select screens would look that bad. It it just a black background with all the characters and stages mushed into their respective screens.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
He had no choice but to make it low quality. He's showing an entire stage select screen. And you're not even counting the fact that no one knew about this room, so even if he's faking it and making it low quality and all that, he still had to somehow know about that room.
I just came by to point this out:

This is 2014 and most cell phones have good cameras. I'm on a last gen phone (soon to be 2 gens ago) and I can take decent quality picture. If someone was taking a photo of the character select screen, it should be a lot clearer than it is here. Dark Dude has a point. These fakes are always lower quality, tilted, and there are never any videos.

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice
I still don't see why the character and stage select screens would look that bad. It it just a black background with all the characters and stages mushed into their respective screens.
If you look at the E3 footage you can see it's not a black background, there's a texture to it. The blurry photos just make it look worse than it is.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I just came by to point this out:

This is 2014 and most cell phones have good cameras. I'm on a last gen phone (soon to be 2 gens ago) and I can take decent quality picture. If someone was taking a photo of the character select screen, it should be a lot clearer than it is here. Dark Dude has a point. These fakes are always lower quality, tilted, and there are never any videos.
Then explain how he knew about the room. No, it was not a lucky guess. The chances are so extremely low of that.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
The screenshots aren't even low quality, especially the css. Its practically straight on. The stages just look terrible because the icons are so small and compact.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
If you look at the E3 footage you can see it's not a black background, there's a texture to it. The blurry photos just make it look worse than it is.
Yeah I know. But what about the character and stage icons. They are really crammed in. Imagine how small and cluttered it would look on a normal 3DS. Also new and returning stages being arranged all together seems wrong. I am not saying the leak is fake. As I am leaning towards it being real (even thought I really hope it's not), but these little things just feel kinda off. Like I would expect the game too look like this much earlier in development.

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Yeah. MASTERLINKX said he did that intentionally to help make it look fake so the leakers didn't lose their jobs. Whether that's himself trying to save his back or if that's legit, we'll have to wait 'til Sakurai reveals another character.
To be honest, leakers shouldn't have share the pictures if they valued their jobs in first place. It's their faults for trusting wrong people. The leak situation itself is getting at the point where it is completely silly and messy. I would like to see leak being real but right now the situation is just strange enough to make me felt that I should stay neutral at this.

I'm going to be frank about this situation.

1. First Leaker leaked CSS Roster and DLC List, after he had a discussion with a moderator and certain people if I understand this right. He suddenly backtracked and claimed that he faked the list. I wonder if "someone" could pressured him to announced that it's fake (in order to save someone) or it's actually fake after all.

2. MasterXLink faking few pictures in order to save someone, If I recalled correctly? I found it really strange that he said that he worked on the picture(s) for 50 hours, and he just happened to have few pictures READY at precise timing right after the first two leaks happened. Coincidence? I don't know. I just found his comment fishy.

3. What really bothered me that moderators here kept telling people that the information could be wrong when they are actually wrong in the past with their previous supports. It really make it harder for some people to believe moderators' words now. I have heard many people have been using that excuses at multiple forums. How do we know that moderators are right about their source right now? I felt that moderators are overstepping their bound with leaks, and trying to control the leaks much as they can. Yeah, I think I'm going to say that there is a possible that they are trying to influence the rumors and leaks itself. From my experience, I don't even remember moderators overstep their boundary in any way other than delete the threads in the past or trying to pressure people to share their informations with the moderators.

It would leave me down with two things.

Again, this situation is completely mess. There are too many influences over the rumors. Maybe some people are trying to save someones' jobs so they are trying to backtracking with the information. It's just like Pokemon White/Black and Pokemon X/Y all over again.

Or I could say there is a chance that I could be right about group theory. There is a huge group that would work together to trick Smash Community with fake roster, etc. I have seen this situation happened in the past for other games. It's not that hard to building up suspense of fake leaks.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Yeah I know. But what about the character and stage icons. They are really crammed in. Imagine how small and cluttered it would look on a normal 3DS. Also new and returning stages being arranged all together seems wrong. I am not saying the leak is fake. As I am leaning towards it being real (even thought I really hope it's not), but these little things just feel kinda off. Like I would expect the game too look like this much earlier in development.
I agree. New stages and past stages should be separated. There is no reason why all of the stages should have to be crammed into a single screen. They could easily put the stages on different pages so it's not so compact. And there is no design at all whatsoever. It's just a bunch of thumbnails next to each other. I can't see Sakurai designing the stage select screen to look like that. Plus the bottom row isn't centered, even though the character select screen is. The stage select screen, more than any other picture, is by far the worst looking one.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I agree. New stages and past stages should be separated. There is no reason why all of the stages should have to be crammed into a single screen. They could easily put the stages on different pages so it's not so compact. And there is no design at all whatsoever. It's just a bunch of thumbnails next to each other. I can't see Sakurai designing the stage select screen to look like that. Plus the bottom row isn't centered, even though the character select screen is. The stage select screen, more than any other picture, is by far the worst looking one.
Exactly. They were separated in Brawl. So it actually makes even more sense to separate them for Smash 3DS. It helps organize the stages and more importantly gives it a more professional and clean look instead of having it all forced into one small screen. Same thing could be said for the characters. If your going to have such a large roster, might as well separate them into two pages that could be flipped through using the L and R buttons.

EDIT: Again I am not stating that these things disprove the leak.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

I'm pretty sure this is the dream roster everyone would enjoy.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ IntelliHeath1 IntelliHeath1

Moderators tricking the boards with fake leaks are not only unethical but cruel as well. I've made it no secret that I've been supporting Duck Hunt Dog for a long time... for them to make an elaborate hoax and make people like me think that DHD finally has a chance of being on the roster... only to be sucker punched with the final roster without DHD? No way... I'll close my account here if the moderators are being unprofessional by giving people false hope with fake leaks.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

shush your mouth.

(Throw Ice Climbers out den)
Just saying. Mario gets 7 reps and Pokemon gets 5. Might as well throw in Mewtwo to balance it out.

Moderators tricking the boards with fake leaks are not only unethical but cruel as well. I've made it no secret that I've been supporting Duck Hunt Dog for a long time... for them to make an elaborate hoax and make people like me think that DHD finally has a chance of being on the roster... only to be sucker punched with the final roster without DHD? No way... I'll close my account here if the moderators are being unprofessional by giving people false hope with fake leaks.
I wouldn't worry about mods giving out false information. I'm pretty sure they're not even allowed to do that.

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace

Well, I wouldn't say that moderators would intend to tricking people on purpose because they might be under the influence with people's lies, etc. Well, it's possible that they could done that on purpose. I'm saying that it could be the members that are tricking the moderators, but it could be via visa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom