• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
This quote is old, things could easily changed, especially so late in development.
Exactly, that interview was around this time 2013 and he specifically said "at this time." That time is a lot different from this time. As for the "spots on the roster for DLC" argument, this could easily be added. Pikmin 3, Super Luigi U and others have added buttons and menus for DLC through DLC.

I don't even like the idea of DLC in smash until at least 3-6 months, but I just thought I'd chime in.

Gabeking54

Smash Journeyman
In regards to the DLC being fake, I feel now is a good time to say why. @vaanrose explained earlier why it was fake.

The guy who said it even admitted it, he got the images from someone else in confidence, and then leaked them while adding his own BS information to "identify any copy cats"

I can confirm this.
Didn't @MASTERLINKX say the same thing earlier?

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
So if it isn't from ESRB, why is the ESRB tag there? To throw us off? Ok.

But where on earth would these photos come from then? They aren't taken off a 3ds screen and why would the leaked have access to these; or more accurately, why would they even exist?

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Probably not ESRB. That's just a made up background story to throw off that it was actually leaked from a Marketing Intern. :estatic:
In order for that to be true, whoever recorded this must have had the whole game and not just an 8 second video clip. In which case they could have shown off any aspect of the game and with much better quality.

samsparta21

Smash Ace

But where on earth would these photos come from then? They aren't taken off a 3ds screen and why would the leaked have access to these; or more accurately, why would they even exist?
Because someone who works for ESRB took the pictures and gave them to the 4chan leaker?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Exactly, that interview was around this time 2013 and he specifically said "at this time." That time is a lot different from this time. As for the "spots on the roster for DLC" argument, this could easily be added. Pikmin 3, Super Luigi U and others have added buttons and menus for DLC through DLC.

I don't even like the idea of DLC in smash until at least 3-6 months, but I just thought I'd chime in.
Yes exactly

As a matter of fact from my post above theres a picture with the miis and normal characters buttons so a update can add the dlc button for selecting a character (dlc being seperate from non dlc.)

Ps the leak looks really good and i do want it real because i would love to get my revenge on the dog.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
In order for that to be true, whoever recorded this must have had the whole game and not just an 8 second video clip. In which case they could have shown off any aspect of the game and with much better quality.
Probably not ESRB. That's just a made up background story to throw off that it was actually leaked from a Marketing Intern Sakurai's Cat :estatic:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher

Who knows how he got a hold of these pictures. In the 4Chan thread he was called the Mother******* Leaker and was cursing like a sailor. Quite unprofessional for someone who judges those types of things.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Guys i have the solution for dlc

Remember the picture with the normal characters and the miis option.

Quite simply i think the dlc characters are going to be seperate from the non dlc have there own box just like the miis and all confirmed characters so far.
Thank God someone finally said this. I have no idea why no one has brought it up yet.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Who knows how he got a hold of these pictures. In the 4Chan thread he was called the Mother******* Leaker and was cursing like a sailor. Quite unprofessional for someone who judges those types of things.
My point is that it is either from the "ESRB" or the leaker has full access. Or they are fake entirely. The question is which answer. Frankly, the ESRB story has some potential holes in it...

samsparta21

Smash Ace
The 4chan leaker does not work for ESRB. Probably the real ESRB worker's friend or something.

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
Waiting for dat villain leak/reveal still... :(
the roster is missing that dash of spice still.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Because someone who works for ESRB took the pictures and gave them to the 4chan leaker?
Shouldn't Nintendo be able to track down the person who works for the ESRB? The ESRB don't get the games, only screenshots and videos, so that ESRB tag must of been added by Nintendo so they can track down the person in case of a leak.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Just a side note...

We have 11 newcomers revealed... 5 more according to this leak. I really find it unlikely that we would also be getting another 3 (Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men) on top of that. 19 newcomers is pretty unrealistic to expect. Especially when you consider the claim that we are 'reaching the end' of newcomers... 7 left isn't exactly "reaching the end". I know there's the semantics of 'newcomer VIDEOS', but I think the CSS is what we are getting... nothing more.

Last edited:

Repiteo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Repiteo
Shouldn't Nintendo be able to track down the person who works for the ESRB? The ESRB don't get the games, only screenshots and videos, so that ESRB tag must of been added by Nintendo so they can track down the person in case of a leak.
Thing is, we don't even know if this is from the ESRB directly. There are likely quite a few medians between Nintendo making the video and the ESRB seeing it. Someone in the middle of that transition process could potentially be the culprit. Or, moreover, someone after the fact. It's rather ambiguous.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
One thing to note is when the Pokemon X/Y leaks came out, Nintendo got word on it and sent their "ninjas" to exterminate them. And something happened to the guy who leaked them as well which I can't recall. Why hasn't this happened with this?

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
Repost:

I believe ESRB (the company/employees) have nothing to do with the leak. Here's what happened. Some Nintendo gophers who are tasked with the grunt work of putting together the review DVD for ESRB snapped the pictures. The ESRB0083 merely indicates what the content was being used for so that video/image could be identified easily instead of an uninformative "Player 1".

Example: Video file #83 for the DVD project is underway. Nintendo employee uses "ESRB0083" as the name. This name then appears on most menus and gameplay, helping to identify the media when they later review their work and compile it onto the disc.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So if the roster leaked isn't the final roster, is it safe to assume that Wolf, who was usually the final character unlocked in Brawl, (assuming of course that this remains true in Smash 4 as well,) may not actually be cut? I assume Ice Climbers are because they were a starter character for two games, and Lucas was a starter last game so I don't see them making him unlockable, (though I guess it could happen,) but Wolf seems like somebody that wouldn't become a starter.

Snake was unlockable too, but if he was in the game I don't know why they wouldn't advertise him on the back of the box with the other 3rd parties.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
@Joalro
A couple things I feel should be added to the second post:
  1. The css has the bottom two rows centered, whereas the stage select screen does not.
  2. The arrow over Ganondorf's face and in this picture:

Also, are character outlines turned off here? Shulk almost looks like he has a red outline, but no other character has an outline. Lucina should have a red outline and Ganondorf and Charizard should have blue outlines, but they do not. Can outlines even be turned off completely during a team battle? Seeing as how characters are no longer forced to switch to a certain colored costume during team battles, I would think that outlines would be mandatory in team battles. It would seem odd for Sakurai to allow players to not be able to distinguish which team characters are on when it has always been heavily forced in the past (making same characters on the same team lighter and darker).
If what I have is correct judging by the other screenshots, Shulk is on the Red team with Lucina, and Charizard and Ganondorf are on the Blue team. It is possible to remove the outlines but it is not exactly classified that they can even during team battle. You can even adjust the thickness of said lines from what I understand. Now I don't know about you but I definitely see a red outline on Lucina and a blue one on Ganondorf at least, Charizard's a bit harder for me to make out unfortunately but I think it's there I THINK. That's all I got atm.

Last edited:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
It's possible that the real leaker is a programmer at Nintendo, or something along those lines. They set up the screens and would've had a lot of options for modifying the screenshot with stuff like rearranging the CSS or sticking in unrelated/unused models, then stuck the ESRB name on it as a distraction, snapped a photo off their computer screen, and sent it to their friends to distribute.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
Well SonicToast did a video...
He's typically a bit behind. But he's seems to be pretty #TeamRealButMayBeACleverFake

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
One thing to note is when the Pokemon X/Y leaks came out, Nintendo got word on it and sent their "ninjas" to exterminate them. And something happened to the guy who leaked them as well which I can't recall. Why hasn't this happened with this?
Because Sakurai is the leaker.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Could be many reasons. The leak is fake so Nintendo isn't bothering with it, they don't know about it or maybe Sakurai is the leaker. We will find out soon enough.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Just a side note...

We have 11 newcomers revealed... 5 more according to this leak. I really find it unlikely that we would also be getting another 3 (Ridley, Dixie, Chorus Men) on top of that. 19 newcomers is pretty unrealistic to expect. Especially when you consider the claim that we are 'reaching the end' of newcomers... 7 left isn't exactly "reaching the end". I know there's the semantics of 'newcomer VIDEOS', but I think the CSS is what we are getting... nothing more.
Sakurai said we're reaching the end of newcomer videos. Nothing about reaching the end of newcomers themselves.

Reading every bit of a sentence is very important to avoid this kind of thing. Also Brawl had 18 newcomers.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
If they're taking the pictures with a cellphone camera or a similar low quality camera in an indoor setting, usually the camera will adjust the brightness of the surroundings to that whatever you're focusing on is well lit. So if you're focusing on a bright screen, the background will appear relatively dark, even if it isn't.
Okay, so, same thing sort of applies. If you're in a well lit room, someone could easily see someone holding up a phone to the screen. Again, wouldn't the ESRB have rules against that?

Repost:

I believe ESRB (the company/employees) have nothing to do with the leak. Here's what happened. Some Nintendo gophers who are tasked with the grunt work of putting together the review DVD for ESRB snapped the pictures. The ESRB0083 merely indicates what the content was being used for so that video/image could be identified easily instead of an uninformative "Player 1".

Example: Video file #83 for the DVD project is underway. Nintendo employee uses "ESRB0083" as the name. This name then appears on most menus and gameplay, helping to identify the media when they later review their work and compile it onto the disc.
What makes you think it's more likely to be someone at Nintendo rather than the ESRB?

As much as Sakurai loves to take pictures or make videos, couldn't he easily just sent the ESRB one of the hundreds of videos he has likely already made?

Last edited:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
The leak doesn't feature five newcomers. Dr. Mario is a veteran, and Dark Pit hardly counts. It's more like three newcomers.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Well some people on RidleyFAQs found something else that may prove the leak might be real.
This page from a magazine has a selection screenshot of Reset Bomb Forest, and it's the same one in the leak.

http://i.imgur.com/FnymGKz.jpg

The plot thickens...

Was this stage at the E3 demo booth?

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said we're reaching the end of newcomer videos. Nothing about reaching the end of newcomers themselves.

Reading every bit of a sentence is very important to avoid this kind of thing. Also Brawl had 18 newcomers.
Yeah, but it's also reading way into these types of comments that has folks like the Ridley fanbase so hoodwinked. I think people are getting their hopes up.

The leak doesn't feature five newcomers. Dr. Mario is a veteran, and Dark Pit hardly counts. It's more like three newcomers.
Dark Pit sure counts. He's a new character (or so the KI:U fanboys seem to insist).

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Okay, so, same thing sort of applies. If you're in a well lit room, someone could easily see someone holding up a phone to the screen. Again, wouldn't the ESRB have rules against that?

What makes you think it's more likely to be someone at Nintendo rather than the ESRB?

As much as Sakurai loves to take pictures or make videos, couldn't he easily just sent the ESRB one of the hundreds of videos he has likely already made?
Precisely, this speculation will so nothing to further our understanding. Just remaining skeptical until we receive more info is all we can do

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Well some people on RidleyFAQs found something else that may prove the leak might be real.
This page from a magazine has a selection screenshot of Reset Bomb Forest, and it's the same one in the leak.

The plot thickens...

Oh my goodness... you're right! It's slightly zoomed in but you're right! This needs added I think!

EDIT: Not sure if it was at the Demo but I'll look into it if I can. Might take a bit.

Last edited:

fanboss2

Smash Apprentice
The reset bomb forest was at E3 yeah.

EDIT : We also saw this section at the Nintendo Direct of April.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Yeah, but it's also reading way into these types of comments that has folks like the Ridley fanbase so hoodwinked. I think people are getting their hopes up.
I get you. Overanalyzing things doesn't help, but neither does underanalyzing.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

The plot thickens...

They are not the same picture.

"Leak" on the left, Famitsu scan on the right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom