• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
By your logic
> Mario
> Zelda
> Kid Icarus
> Metroid
are all retro.
All of the characters you listed have atleast one other character from the series they're in, so they may be "retro" but don't fit in that slot because they have other representatives from the series they're in. Though in my opinion the retro characters should have been grouped together. so my arguement doesn't matter anyways

CherryVS

Smash Rookie
He still got a game for the Wii, so he isn't retro like say, Duck Hunt is. When people claim a character to be retro in Smash, they are talking about characters like Ice Climbers, Pit (before Uprising) and others non-playable like Takamaru, Prince of Sablé, etc. By this definition, Mac isn't retro, Pac-Man isn't retro and Mega Man isn't retro either. It is not that hard of a concept to grasp, now is it?
Okay, I probably should have rephrased that so everyone understood properly. Mega Man, Pac Man, Ice Climbers, and Little Mac are all notable for their games in the NES era. Regardless of Punch Out on the Wii, most people remember the NES, or even the SNES game over the Wii one.

But whatever.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
All of the characters you listed have atleast one other character from the series they're in, so they may be "retro" but don't fit in that slot because they have other representatives from the series they're in. Though in my opinion the retro characters should have been grouped together. so my arguement doesn't matter anyways
IMO Retro means no games for a few generations.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
I agree with both @ CherryVS CherryVS and @ BindingBlade BindingBlade : Mac has a retro feel due to the last culturally relevant game being for NES, but he isn't, in point of fact, RETRO in a literal sense because he has had stints as recently as Wii.

Last edited:

CherryVS

Smash Rookie
According to my source we can assume its Captain Falcon for sure most likely Mario as always and Pikachu. Unsure about the others
I'd like to hear more about this nebulous source. Is he linked with any of the other leakers at all or are you just pulling our chains here?

I agree with both @ CherryVS CherryVS and @ BindingBlade BindingBlade : Mac has a retro feel due to the last culturally relevant game being for NES, but he isn't, in point of fact, RETRO in a literal sense because he has had stints as recently as Wii.
Thanks, at least someone understood what I meant. It's about the character's roots, but anyway, about this leaker..

Last edited:

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
I guess for Mac the feeling is akin to The Who's music being retro even though they are still around in some form and technically make music every now and then. Their day has passed and it sort of feels that way for Mac.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to hear more about this nebulous source. Is he linked with any of the other leakers at all or are you just pulling our chains here?

Thanks, at least someone understood what I meant. It's about the character's roots, but anyway, about this leaker..
My source isn't linked but the leaker they receive info from May. I am... Unclear. I am purely passing information on as I get it and am able to post it.

CherryVS

Smash Rookie
My source isn't linked but the leaker they receive info from May. I am... Unclear. I am purely passing information on as I get it and am able to post it.
Hell, I'll bite. Keep the info coming, then. I'll see how it lines up with what I've been hearing and reading.

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
When i think retro i think any character that i remember playing games as a kid, despite whether or not they're getting games now, not specifically characters that don't have any other games

I guess that works; when I think retro I think one hit wonder on the NES. Because Captain Falcon and Ness could be considered retro if you do it that vague.
That leaves us with a very small number of retro characters, considering game and watch got tons of games, and rob was kinda his own thing.

I only consider retro characters ones that started on the NES but never left.
so that also leaves us with very few characters.

TheBoozehammer

Smash Cadet
Falcon's on the back of the boxart, makes sense.
Plus, most announced characters are probably in the starting roster, with the exception of Luigi, as confirmed by Sakurai, and possibly Megaman, Sonic, and Pacman, as the 3rd party characters in Brawl were announced early but were still unlockable.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
If I had to take a stab at the starting roster (I have no leak basis for this):

Mario, Luigi, Link, Zelda, Samus, Donkey Kong, Fox, Falcon, Ness, Pikachu, Yoshi, Pit, Olimar.

Jakester897

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jakester897
3DS FC
0645-6281-7625

Has this image been discussed yet?
Have we seen this big of a model for DHD yet?
I want more information about this, too. Supposedly, this is a fake made after the leak, but how? The person would have had to change the angle of the art, extend it, and recolor it. I don't know how long or how much effort this would have taken, but it all just seems a bit weird to me. Plus, there was that whole "7 days ago" thing I found yesterday that could be a potential lead.

Honestly, this doesn't even look like the Duck Hunt dog to me. The art isn't good in my opinion.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
When i think retro i think any character that i remember playing games as a kid, despite whether or not they're getting games now, not specifically characters that don't have any other games

That leaves us with a very small number of retro characters, considering game and watch got tons of games, and rob was kinda his own thing.

so that also leaves us with very few characters.
Yes... Yes it does. Although the character of Mr. Game & Watch hasn't been present in any of the newer "Game & Watch" games so I wouldn't count that.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Plus, most announced characters are probably in the starting roster, with the exception of Luigi, as confirmed by Sakurai, and possibly Megaman, Sonic, and Pacman, as the 3rd party characters in Brawl were announced early but were still unlockable.
I think that both versions will have unique starting characters.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Have the mods, Conor or vanrose said anything about Ness's info? It would be nice if they could ask their sources about all star mode being locked. Could explain why some of them implied that there may be more characters too.

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
Yes... Yes it does. Although the character of Mr. Game & Watch hasn't been present in any of the newer "Game & Watch" games so I wouldn't count that.
I don't know, i'd say that the characters i consider you guy's version of "retro" would be somewhere along the lines of Game and watch, Ness, Rob and Duck hunt

Tactician

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkBlade126
3DS FC
0748-1784-0273
This is such a weird leak. It's so shady. Between the original two or three leakers, MasterLinkx, Vaanrose, the two or three mods here, and now Ness, there's so many people claiming to have "sources" it's ridiculous. Taking the CSS by itself the leak is somewhat believable, but this convoluted mess of people has me doubting everything.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
What if this is all just one big joke and the moderators are playing it out just to mess with us?
O.O
(is this comment going to be deleted now?)

8BitBlackMage

Smash Cadet
This is such a weird leak. It's so shady. Between the original two or three leakers, MasterLinkx, Vaanrose, the two or three mods here, and now Ness, there's so many people claiming to have "sources" it's ridiculous. Taking the CSS by itself the leak is somewhat believable, but this convoluted mess of people has me doubting everything.
I agree, the people all claiming they have sources make my belief of this leak drop from a solid 80% to a solid 65%, i still want it to be true, and i still wont believe anything till i play the game again, but it is what it is.

CherryVS

Smash Rookie
You know there's a reason it's shady, right? They're breaking their NDAs, which is illegal. I mean, a guy lost his job over this already, heh.

micstar615

Smash Ace
What if this is all just one big joke and the moderators are playing it out just to mess with us?
O.O
(is this comment going to be deleted now?)
Lol it may seem that way, but it's not likely. They're moderators, it's their job to make sure things are under control here and leaks like this only make their job harder, so they wouldn't want to start something like this as a trick :p

KingBroly

Smash Lord
You know there's a reason it's shady, right? They're breaking their NDAs, which is illegal. I mean, a guy lost his job over this already, heh.
If they're not review copies or are employed by an associating company, NDA's don't apply. It's also not like someone could create a new screenname and get a masked IP and post stuff.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Yup there's some weeeeird stuff going on. The entire thing woulda been so much more believable if only one guy leaked it and there was no stupid backstory about the ESRB or photoshopping to protect jobs and etc. Just a picture left at that with the DLC character list woulda sufficed.

Tactician

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkBlade126
3DS FC
0748-1784-0273
I dunno, I was around when Brawl leaked, and when Pokemon X/Y leaked, and none of them were like this. I mean if they're so worried about breaking NDA's and risking their jobs, why are so many sources coming forward? Usually it's just one or maybe two people willing to leak stuff, here we have over a half dozen people taking that risk. It's very atypical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom