• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Posting another new topic because I can.

RichBrown

Smash Master
It's been a while since I randomly listed all the smash related things I've been thinking about

-I've discovered the future, though I have yet to perfect it: hitstunned upB. Idk what the name for it is specifically, technically the name I gave it is wrong, but I'll explain it anyways. You know how when, say, Sonic or Lucario get hit, and if they try to dair immediately, the movement properties of their dairs don't take effect? (Sonic just throws his foot out there, Lucario just falls and dairs instead of stalling etc).

Well with Olimar, one of our bad habits is when we get knocked a little off the ground, we throw out the panic nair, or we airdodge. So instead, I've started using upB, and because I'm still in that hitlag or whatever the heck it is, I fall straight down and have no lag on landing. So they try to run after me, and I nail them with an upB with super priority. And if they block it, then I'm still on the ground with 0 lag.

I'm still trying to figure out the appropriate situations for this (MK's dash attack is a good one sometimes), but this is absolutely something we all need to start doing.

-Dtilt is kinda ****.

I implore you all to just start using it at random times in friendlies. Just force the issue with that move until you get a feel for it. It's quick, it pops enemies up into the perfect range for a fair, etc. Especially when someone is on the ledge. The move crawls over the ledge (it's kinda tight on Diddy and Falco) so start exploring that.

-Attacking with whites

This isn't something I've really messed with at all, but I know there are situations where a white attack with any move will combo into stuff even at mid-high percents. So let's play with that too ya?

-Watch for when metaknights start doing short tornados. That's what's hip right now and they are catching everyone off guard with it.

-WHISTLE PUNISHES

Holy **** whistle is broken. Now a lot of us just try to whistle frantically and land. But what I'm starting to notice is that we actually have some pretty easy punishes if we whistle an attack in the air. Falco's bair comes to mind, it's really easy to line up a nair if we whistle Falco's bair... I haven't even explored any other aerials yet. So start messing with this more. Whistle an attack with the intention of hitting them out of it, not with the intention just to land.

-Olimar CAN go under Smashville and Battlefield. Pointless, but funny nonetheless. I have a replay of this which I would love to send to somebody so they can upload it for me and it'll be cute (though I can probably get someone in so cal to upload it for me soon. I keep forgetting about it)

-Completely impractical: I think Olimar has an infinite chaingrab on the entire cast. But it requires a Falco (or some character with a quick attack but Falco is easiest) to hit Olimar out of his Uthrow animation, then right when it finishes Olimar grabs again. I don't know if this would work for sure but if it's technically possible and someone could do it TAS then that would be the coolest thing ever.'

-CP PS2 on ICs. Think about it: The wind section and the platform section will eff them up, and we can space our smashes in a really cool way on the ice section. Plus the stage changes help us. That first sentence had hella acronyms btw.

-Remember to continue dashing away-stutterstep fsmashing, charging smashes at completely random times, not get stuck in your shield when they are far away, not to land in front of them but to try to land away, uairing, etc. Just attack a lot attack attack attack just keep attacking. But don't approach. Just stand there and attack, then walk for a sec then attack some more.

-Olimar's roll might be ok. We just have to use it at weird times. I'm slowly starting to understand Nietono's style. Even though Olimar's roll sucks, if we use it at the right time we can scare people. I can't really explain it... just don't be obvious with it, like rolling because they blocked your fsmash. Just be random with your rolls. Otherwise it's better to dash away or something.

-My aim with white pikmin is RIDICULOUS. Seriously.

-Random ledge things: When you're on the ledge, don't force yourself back onto the stage. Feel free to Uair a bunch of times to create space. You might end up baiting them to chase you, in which case you can roll onto the stage and be safe, or you might hit them with a Uair. One of my favorite tricks (which I use at 2:27 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpqv83tIEQ) is to do a Uair or 2 then regrab the ledge, then do one Uair but land on the stage. It's lagless if you do it right, super ****. Also practice the tether thing where you land on the stage lagless (I do it later in the video at the start of his final stock).

-Bonus ledge tip: notice in that same video that when Zex was respawning, I was inching towards the right. But the moment I dropped down, I ran left. He started to go to the right to follow me, but I tricked him and it allowed me time to run to the ledge safely. Gotta be innovative kids :cool:

That's good for now.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Also practice the tether thing where you land on the stage lagless (I do it later in the video at the start of his final stock).
I believe the term for that is "Instant Return". =P

BTW. I was playing around with tarzaning under SV a while back. Trying to tarzan from the left side to the right occasionally resulted in a slight pause and a failure to completely follow through during the initial swing. It was quite odd.

Asa

Smash Hero
i tried using dtilt against phantasm today, and yeah, i really like it :D

whistle-> spike is fun XD

Tin Man

Smash Hero
PS2 can suck vs ICs. The Ice stage doesn't affect them, while it affects us. Iunno, may need mroe investigating. Swordgard was telling me some things. As for the air stage, stall then fallers maintain their normall stall then fall momentums when they Dair while we still fall slowly :/

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't discover the AT.
I just have a difficult time expressing myself sometimes.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Here are the inputs from the ledge:

1. Let go of the edge. (back or 4)
2. Wait a second, then tether. If you do it immediately, it won't connect. (forward up+b or 9b)
3. Hold forward, and make sure you press nothing else until on the ground. (forward or 6)

Essentially, your analog stick is doing a half circle forward but on the higher half of the rotation. What you're doing is letting go of the edge and tethering back to it immediately, except the momentum that Olimar gets from his up b lets us swing back onto the edge and land without lag.

There's other faster variations, but the inputs remain almost identical. Just practice.

Top Bottom