• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post 1.0.4 Ike

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
The easiest way to know if you're doing it right, Ike will actually rise during the F-Air's starting animation, instead of stay in place or start falling.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
And what are Short hops and long hops? And what does it mean to "buffer" the F-air.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
And what are Short hops and long hops? And what does it mean to "buffer" the F-air.
Buffering: You can input certain actions slightly before you're done with another one, around 1/6 of a second before an action ends. So buffering a fair means jump + forward + attack really fast since the game handles doing it quickly for you.

Short hop: Press the jump button and release it quickly for a short hop.
Full hop: Hold the jump button down for a higher jump.

It's a similar input to most platformers, though smash is only short and high rather than variable jump lengths.

TKD

Smash Lord
Short hops are one of the best additions to any fighting game. I like that KOF has them but never got around to playing it much.

The difference with smash and most platformers is that you have to release the jump button before the character leaves the ground for it to be a short hop. So short hopping difficulty varies although I think they were only hard to learn in Melee with the 3-frame jumpsquats. Brawl's quickest jumpsquat was 5 frames and it's probably the same in this one. Ike's feels like 6 or 7 frames but I haven't seen the frame data or played offline enough to be sure.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did Ike lose weight? I may be imagining things but it feels like hits knock me farther now.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Ike's jab is still not a lock-on like it was in Brawl. I faced a Toon Link who got out of it at around 60%.

Also, what is auto-canceling? Like, landing lag?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Auto-Cancel is when you have little to no landing lag after your animation, so you can do an action almost immediately as you land.

TKD

Smash Lord
A jab combo's purpose isn't to always 100% connect all of their hits without fail. Otherwise it would be 1 hit that totals the same amount of damage. Jab 1 or 2 into almost anything including baiting is valid. Plus offline on the WiiU it'll be clearly noticeable whenever the hits will or may not combo into each other so you simply won't finish the sequence.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
A jab combo's purpose isn't to always 100% connect all of their hits without fail. Otherwise it would be 1 hit that totals the same amount of damage. /quote]
Not really... there's still other differences such as the time spread from beginning to end. The jab combo is more spread out temporally, so it's easier at catching someone with at least one blow, even if it's only the final blow. Jabs are more about managing the other person's movement than dealing raw damage. Sort of like in real boxing.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
SSBU Ike is surprisingly mobile, both in air and ground. ^-^

The improved double jump made ledge-hopping F-airs and N-airs much easier for me to do. I found this especially helpful on stages, like Delfino Plaza, where characters moved through the main platform. I also like how I could now do run-off F-airs, N-airs, and D-airs without suiciding.

The changes in the game's mechanics along with the new buffs have given rise to a wider array of options for Ike.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
SSBU Ike is surprisingly mobile, both in air and ground. ^-^

The improved double jump made ledge-hopping F-airs and N-airs much easier for me to do. I found this especially helpful on stages, like Delfino Plaza, where characters moved through the main platform. I also like how I could now do run-off F-airs, N-airs, and D-airs without suiciding.

The changes in the game's mechanics along with the new buffs have given rise to a wider array of options for Ike.
is this any different from 3DS 1.0.4 update Ike?

D

Deleted member 269706

I've been really improving in For Glory! And I'm still using the 3DS version. I mean, it's still a challenge to fight some of these people, but it's much better than it was before. Ended up 2 stocking a ZSS today, and I've been having a much easier time against Diddy, Link/Toon Link, and Lil Mac. Getting a lot better at my aerial attacks also!

Just wanted to ask if anyone here plans on posting an Ike montage, or knows of any that exist? I'm still trying to find ways to better myself, and I'd love to watch other players techniques and skills.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
is this any different from 3DS 1.0.4 update Ike?
I'm curious about this myself as I've never played the 3DS version of the game. There probably would be just subtle differences as I heard Bowser's Flying Slam does not result in Bowser losing his stock first in the Wii U version.

EDIT: Wow! You were a member here for over 13 years! ^-^

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
quick question, and it may just be that this is due to somehow not updating or something.

For smash wii u im noticing that a lot of the 1.0.4 changes are in effect such as greninjas side b canceling his aerial lag, as well as some other things, but ikes fair doesnt autocancel and his nair seems to be slow still. was there a patch that came out we needed to download via wifi or something? I havent been able to get my wiiu to connect to wifi so when i bought the wiiu version it came with a preinstalled update that ran off the disc i think. Its just weird, it seems like some things are patched but others arent, like ikes fair not autocanceling. is anyone else having this situation or does anyone know why its happening to me?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
All the Wii U versions I played on had 1.0.4 Ike. Nair was never changed.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
quick question, and it may just be that this is due to somehow not updating or something.

For smash wii u im noticing that a lot of the 1.0.4 changes are in effect such as greninjas side b canceling his aerial lag, as well as some other things, but ikes fair doesnt autocancel and his nair seems to be slow still. was there a patch that came out we needed to download via wifi or something? I havent been able to get my wiiu to connect to wifi so when i bought the wiiu version it came with a preinstalled update that ran off the disc i think. Its just weird, it seems like some things are patched but others arent, like ikes fair not autocanceling. is anyone else having this situation or does anyone know why its happening to me?
The Sm4sh Wii U doesn't come preinstalled with patch 1.0.4, you'll hve to have wifi and then start the game. The game will then notify you and whether you would like to update or not. Thats how it was for me, I started the game with my wifi OFF and ike was not he same as patch 1.0.4 for 3ds. But after the patch, WiiU Ike played like the 1.0.4 3ds ike.

You can see if your wii u smash has the update or not on the start screen. If you see v1.0.0 on the lower right of your start screen, tht means your game isn't updated. and if you see v1.0.1 (which is the 3ds's 1.0.4 equivalent) it means your game is updated.

FatMagic

Smash Rookie
NNID
TaneLionheart
3DS FC
1993-7881-7793
Just wanted to ask if anyone here plans on posting an Ike montage, or knows of any that exist? I'm still trying to find ways to better myself, and I'd love to watch other players techniques and skills.
Ditto! Just started getting heaving into For Glory play on my 3DS w/ Ike main. I'm extremely new to SSB, and most of things I read here are all greek to me. Trying to learn to get better. Montages really do help, as I'm more of a visual learner. Hope some get posted soon :)

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
I just miss my old fair, It's hard to attack opponents on the ground now. You gotta be way too close to them to attack them with fair. So what are his safe options when opponents are shielding? 1st jab, spaced nair, dtilt.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'll take less range, sped up Fair than Brawl's Fair tbh. Keep in mind Fair in Smash4 has less landing.
A spaced Fair in this game is much more rewarding because it sets up for more imo. It's also much harder for other players to powershield it now and easier to actually hit them. I'm sure you'll like it after adjusting to it.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I just miss my old fair, It's hard to attack opponents on the ground now. You gotta be way too close to them to attack them with fair. So what are his safe options when opponents are shielding? 1st jab, spaced nair, dtilt.
Dtilt spam is the easiest. Jab1 if they're really close. Outside of dtilt reach, ftilt is good if they're slow on the ground surprisingly, but retreating nair/fair/bair is good against fast opponents to reset your spacing. Against fast characters, I really don't like that "just outside of dtilt" position very much.

Honestly, dtilt spam is just too good not to do, even if it's a little far away.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
I had a lot of neat Ike-videos, but they're all gone thanks to the update

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
at top levels of play, Ike's fair was powershieldable on reaction, it sucked. I'll take a faster one any day,

Aether9000

Smash Cadet
I'll be making montages and other Smash related videos when I get my Wii U for sure.

TKD

Smash Lord
All the Wii U versions I played on had 1.0.4 Ike. Nair was never changed.
The WiiU version DOES NOT come with the latest update. You need to download the patch as soon as you get the game... or Ike is gonna feel weird. Very weird.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It should have downloaded the update when you first started the game, assuming you were connected to the internet at the time.

TKD

Smash Lord
The first WiiU tourney in my town there were a lot of WiiUs that were apparently on the go since adquisition hence no update. It was kind of a mess but we finished before 10pm anyway

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
They're just terms for different jump heights.
Pressing the button quickly results in a short hop while holding it in results in a full hop.
Ike's jab is still not a lock-on like it was in Brawl. I faced a Toon Link who got out of it at around 60%.

Also, what is auto-canceling? Like, landing lag?
Auto canceling refers to using an attack under certain conditions that cause it to cancel its landing lag.
In this case, Ike's forward air is faster than it used to be, and can now be auto canceled during a short hop if you input the forward air at practically the same time that you input the jump.
This will cause Ike to perform his forward air while he is still gaining jump height and he'll finish the animation before landing, thus canceling the landing lag automatically.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
They're just terms for different jump heights.
Pressing the button quickly results in a short hop while holding it in results in a full hop.

Auto canceling refers to using an attack under certain conditions that cause it to cancel its landing lag.
In this case, Ike's forward air is faster than it used to be, and can now be auto canceled during a short hop if you input the forward air at practically the same time that you input the jump.
This will cause Ike to perform his forward air while he is still gaining jump height and he'll finish the animation before landing, thus canceling the landing lag automatically.
His only auto-canceling move, and it has to be at the end of Fair. When is it good to use the auto-cancel short-hop Fair and what are the best followups?

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
His only auto-canceling move, and it has to be at the end of Fair. When is it good to use the auto-cancel short-hop Fair and what are the best followups?
I find auto-cancelled F-airs especially useful against large, tall characters, like DK. There are several offensive options available to follow-up with; my personal favorites are D-tilt, F-tilt, and Jab. Auto-cancelled F-air to Jab registers as a combo in the SSB4 training mode. At early percents, you can make use of this property to string together many different attacks on some characters and inflict considerably heavy damage, even if they are not true combos. I was able to get an easy 43% on training mode Link from 0% using the following, for instance:

N-air (fast-fall) -> D-tilt -> F-air (auto-cancelled) -> F-tilt (U-tilt, D-smash)

Quick Draw is known to auto-cancel as well at a certain height (full hop height?), though it is less viable. It is, however, not really a bad option at times. For example, suppose Ike was sent off-stage at a high enough altitude; at the right height, he can recover via QD above and behind the opponent and take advantage of the auto-cancel property upon landing to immediately use B-air.

Last edited:

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
He can short hop bAir and nAir without any lag as well, and can do the same using a full hop for both uAir and dAir if the attack is input at the same time as the jump is.
Well, the increased speed affects the entire hitbox, so its now possible to strike with the bottom forward part of the swing without running into lag. Its a great move to use against Sheik and other characters with abusable fAirs, and it also eats most projectiles for breakfast.
Quick Draw is known to auto-cancel as well at a certain height (full hop height?), though it is less viable. It is, however, not really a bad option at times. For example, suppose Ike was sent off-stage at a high enough altitude; at the right height, he can recover via QD above and behind the opponent and take advantage of the auto-cancel property upon landing to immediately use B-air.
Ike can Quick Draw cancel from Short Hop and Full Hop.
Basically, so long as he hasn't gone into his freefall animation yet he will land ready for action.
Its good for zooming over projectiles and for spacing if you've practiced it. Of course you can also B Reverse it, or continue holding it upon landing, there's a lot you can do with it.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
He can short hop bAir and nAir without any lag as well, and can do the same using a full hop for both uAir and dAir if the attack is input at the same time as the jump is.
Well, the increased speed affects the entire hitbox, so its now possible to strike with the bottom forward part of the swing without running into lag. Its a great move to use against Sheik and other characters with abusable fAirs, and it also eats most projectiles for breakfast.

Ike can Quick Draw cancel from Short Hop and Full Hop.
Basically, so long as he hasn't gone into his freefall animation yet he will land ready for action.
Its good for zooming over projectiles and for spacing if you've practiced it. Of course you can also B Reverse it, or continue holding it upon landing, there's a lot you can do with it.
Is fastfalling from Fair/Bair the reason why I'm having landing lag issues?

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Is fastfalling from Fair/Bair the reason why I'm having landing lag issues?
It can be, but in all likelihood you are just not executing the attack fast enough.
If you are having trouble timing ANYTHING, go into training mode and set it to a slower speed.
As you get better at it just increase the speed.

Basically you want to try to "buffer" the attack before the jump even happens.
You want to do the input for fAir or bAir while Ike is still in the crouching part of his jumping animation, that way he goes right into it as soon as he leaves the ground.

An easy way to get the timing down (if you have jump and attack as their normal setting on 3DS/Wii U Pro/Gamecube Controller) is to use press down on X (Y for Gamecube) with the part of your right thumb just below the tip, and then quickly slide your thumb diagonally down-right (straight down for Gamecube) over A while using your left thumb on the control stick to choose your direction.
You can also use the C-Stick in place of A, but it can be more difficult at first because of the stick's position to X/Y in comparison to the A button, so I recommend learning the A button method and then moving on to the stick.

If you're fast enough you can even input a fAir or bAir in one direction but start jumping in the opposite, letting you do retreating fAirs and the like even without a C-Stick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom