• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Venue For Regular Smashing In NJ?

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Smash Apprentice
Greetings Smash Community!

MyLifeIsAnRPG, editor for SRK here.

First of all, congrats on getting Melee into EVO. I, myself, was a rabid Skullgirls supporter, but as someone who got his start in the competitive fighting game community via Melee, I have to say "game well played." If it wasn't going to SG, no one else from the donation list deserves it more than you guys.

Second of all, business. A new tournament venue opened up in Kearny, NJ recently. The store is called Gamer's Edge and they are trying to build up the local FGC. Me and a few friends are starting a tournament series called "NJ Rejects" becuase we want to provide space to play games no one else will run. Our headlining game is Skullgirls, and we are running Marvel 3, just to get some people to show up.

Anyway, we have one last game slot open and a few of my SG friends said "why not invite the melee community over?" Frankly, I think this is an awesome idea. It's a great opportunity to unite the SG, Melee, and greater FGC communities as a whole. There's only a few problems... I have never run Melee before. I don't have the setups or the tournament knowledge to make it work.

SO. I come here, oh smash community, to ask if you guys are at all interested in being featured in a likely bi-monthly FGC event. Mezza and Jaxel are gonna help us stream (hopefully... the venue is still new), the venue fee is monsterously cheap, and a lot of people have been interested so far. If the answer is yes, then I have a second question... can someone help me out ^_^? Anyone who has experience running Smash tournaments or, more importantly, smash setups, I'd need to lean on you heavily. If anyone is interested, you can contact me at angelo.dargenio (at) gmail.com (HAH, parentheses. Got one over on you didn't I e-mail bots!)

If you want more information about the events, check out the links below.
http://www.facebook.com/events/403590659735175/
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...y-rejects-tournament-series-kearny-nj.175283/

(P.S. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. I didn't want to post it in the tourney area until we could confirm that we could run it. Also I haven't posted on Smashboards since Brawl+ was in early development and I was complaining about Squirtle's changes.)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I would totally be interested in a venue like this! I can't organize a tourney for the life of me but I'd be willing to bring people and set ups.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Try posting this int eh tournament section.
Also, doesn't Alex Strife live in NJ or does he just hold one of our biggest nationals there every year becaus he likes the snow? He definitely has set ups and know how if he's willing.

As for set ups in general, melee players are no stranger to bringing a CRT when needed. You won't get as many as needed to run a tournament smoothly but everyone is down to bring a GC and disc though. Not sure how many NJ players there are so dunno who would show up or if people like Hax or M2K would travel for a local but if jaxel's streaming I'd watch.

Edit: and with that post count I quit melee.

Top Bottom