• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Starkville, MS Bi-weeklies in the near future

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
So yeah, I'm gonna be moving into a house in Starky as opposed to being in an apartment. From what I gather it's decently sizable. I figure we could host some smaller end bi-weeklies there. Also, as much as the anime club at MSU hates me (long story, but basically they ran off with LOTS of money when I won a tournament, which directly contradicted with what they initially told me what the payout was) I could still get their club backing to use MSU venues such as a room in the Union and stuff.

All in all, it seems very do-able, and since the death of the great Innsomnia bi-weeklies we will need a new place to gather for smash.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Inn biweeklies might be starting up again, just not run by Zane or at the Inn. Regardless, it will be for the purpose of an INN tournament >_>

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
That's definitely promising. If they do start up again then we could set it up to where the bi-weeklies alternate. It'd be pretty hoss to have the option of having some crazy smashing going down every weekend. It also gives people more options if they are a bit too far away from Memphis, and even if some people can only attend one or the other the skills learned by each group would be transferable by those who attend both.

Win win guys. I'd like to see our portion of the US actually get some recognition for once.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Indeed. We are still working on a location, but they will happen.

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
Would these still be going on during the school year? Because I plan on going to MSU in the fall, and it'd be great to play smash against people who are better than me.

3GOD

Smash Ace
So yeah, I'm gonna be moving into a house in Starky as opposed to being in an apartment. From what I gather it's decently sizable. I figure we could host some smaller end bi-weeklies there. Also, as much as the anime club at MSU hates me (long story, but basically they ran off with LOTS of money when I won a tournament, which directly contradicted with what they initially told me what the payout was) I could still get their club backing to use MSU venues such as a room in the Union and stuff.

All in all, it seems very do-able, and since the death of the great Innsomnia bi-weeklies we will need a new place to gather for smash.
Sounds great to me. You know I'd come to most of them and bring my TV/Wii/Brawl/Melee.

Also, there may be a few new smashers at MSU in the fall. I know that biohazard (something like that) plans to be here and has mentioned smash. Also, some guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) lived in MS, moved up north, and plans to come to school at MSU this fall. I talk to him on AIM sometimes, and I'm sure I can find his name on smashboards too since I remember he posted mostly in the Yoshi forums.

If we have a decent crowd, maybe some folks from Tuscaloosa would come over for them sometimes.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't know if you remember me talking about that anime club tournament or not Joel, but there were about 50 dudes there when they had it. Out of those 50 dudes I'd say half of them were pretty into playing Brawl competitively. I don't know how many of them still play, but I think if we started the Starkville bi-weeklies off as an on campus tournament we could probably pull in a lot of new guys as well as draw in lots of people from the surrounding areas.

I'm thinking if we don't establish things like that first a lot of people that would potentially be a part of it would shy away if it was held at my place, as I'd be some random person to them. Also, as with any group, there will be a large insurgence of new guys, but only a handful of them will stay after a few weeks.
Indeed. We are still working on a location, but they will happen.
**** yes! Dual bi-weeklies. That is all sorts of kick ***. Not to mention that because of the bi-weeklies we could establish some crazy car-pooling to save on the gas and not make it cost much and ****. W00t.

Would these still be going on during the school year? Because I plan on going to MSU in the fall, and it'd be great to play smash against people who are better than me.
Yeah man, definitely. In fact, they won't even start until the fall semester starts. BTW, where are you from, who do you main?

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
dont forget about middle TN starting up its Scene too. ill probably have monthlies going on up here. but this is still an interesting issue. Dual Bi-weeklies and A monthly series. sounds like the Brawl scene is gonna be kickin in the MidSouth

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
dont forget about middle TN starting up its Scene too. ill probably have monthlies going on up here. but this is still an interesting issue. Dual Bi-weeklies and A monthly series. sounds like the Brawl scene is gonna be kickin in the MidSouth
****z yo, that's hawt. I'm actually beginning to think that we could do much much more than I originally thought. Perhaps if we pool our efforts together we could create a new tournament series down here through the collective efforts of all 3 areas, Memphis, Starky/MS, and mid TN. Perhaps nabbing a rather large venue and pimping it out. It's a long long ways off, but I think it's possible.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
****z yo, that's hawt. I'm actually beginning to think that we could do much much more than I originally thought. Perhaps if we pool our efforts together we could create a new tournament series down here through the collective efforts of all 3 areas, Memphis, Starky/MS, and mid TN. Perhaps nabbing a rather large venue and pimping it out. It's a long long ways off, but I think it's possible.
the same thing has came to my attention. between you, Handorin, and Myself we could have quite a large Brawl Scene.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I'm there if there's melee.

biohazard has been in Starkville, I don't know if he plays Brawl or not but he doesn't really play melee. lobster will be at state in the fall and he plays melee.

I don't even care if there's money involved, we just need to have more regular smashings with people besides just me and 3GOD.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'll be up for both Melee and Brawl. I don't know if we will have time to do two mini-tournaments, but I'm sure we can work something out.

Also, Shai, Brawl isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. After I played it for a while, and played good people, I realized that all the things we *****ed about (except for tripping, but that can be mitagated by not dashing honestly) doesn't ruin the game. I still think Melee is a better competitive game, but to be honest I'm kind of tired of it, although playing it on occasion and prepping for melee tournaments isn't out of the question for me.

Roxas Org XIII

Smash Apprentice
Well Mookie Zane said he would Set up INN 6 all we had to do was do bi weeklies to help the cause lol... andd you know that will be big.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I'll be up for both Melee and Brawl. I don't know if we will have time to do two mini-tournaments, but I'm sure we can work something out.

Also, Shai, Brawl isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. After I played it for a while, and played good people, I realized that all the things we *****ed about (except for tripping, but that can be mitagated by not dashing honestly) doesn't ruin the game. I still think Melee is a better competitive game, but to be honest I'm kind of tired of it, although playing it on occasion and prepping for melee tournaments isn't out of the question for me.
You're just afraid of my purple Fox, admit it.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Maybe we could do Melee every third biweekly or something...doesn't matter to me really, but I like both games.

Also, I'm very ready for August so that I have people to play.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
honestly id probably come to a few of these, But im more into Brawl really. My goal is to take Yoshi off of Unusable Tier. once he moves up ill probably continue playing the game just cause its a decently fun game. Melee is a better competitive game. but i want something new that isn't definite in its tiers like melee is. Needs more brawl.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Shai, it's on like Donkey Kong. This coming semester is gonna kick ***. Ironically, the last time I played Mewtwo seriously I for some reason was able to beat the crap out of Marths, Foxes, and Falcos that I probably shouldn't have been able to for no known reason. That was also the time where I actually went relatively even in dittos with Iori without any practice since the time before that in which I do believe he 3 stocked me.

I wouldn't doubt that after I get used to playing Melee again I'll be much better than I was before too, cause for some dumbtarded reason that is how I roll.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Pika tail tells me to tell you to fear it Shai
I just need to pick up Sheik for Pikachus but Sheik is so boring to play I can never stand to use her for more than a match or two. :(

Sorcerous yellow rats will surely be my downfall.

@Mookie I think I have improved a lot as well but it's hard to say because I haven't really played anyone but Joel since I started using Marth. But I think Marth is definitely my best character now.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Wow, I never would have saw that one coming. You switching to Marth and it being your best? Dangz, what is the world coming to? Are you super technical with Marth or something?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm good at ledge-camping and 0% off the stage gimps that shouldn't be possible.

And Marth's the only character I can tech chase worth a **** with for some reason.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Sheik isn't insta-win vs pika =o

I beat a couple really good Sheik mains at the GA tourny (to my suprise)
Yeah I just remember watching you go pretty even with M2K's Marth and then him going Sheik...

the horror.

My Sheik is total garbage though because she's so boring to play. The way most people play Marth is boring too but I do lots of difficult and/or stupid stuff.

I'm going to stop spamming this thread now.

Top Bottom