• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible new AT: "Din's Glide"

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
So I'm sure you've all noticed there's a bit of a dead zone between Zelda and the minimal range at which Din's Fire will detonate. But after playing around a bit, I've noticed that Zelda can slide pretty far if you run/walk, jump, then cancel the jump with a Side B immediately after it starts. The effect is that you sort of travel with the Fireball and you can detonate it much closer than if you used it from a neutral position. Doesn't do anything for the endlag though. Does this have any useful applications?

EDIT:
Because people insist on video demos:
http://gfycat.com/ActualGlisteningLadybug

Din's Fire uses in order (all Din's Fires released early as possible):
1. Run, Full hop, input din's fire midway through ascent. Results in Din's Fire exploding at Zelda's hurtbox. This is what I'm calling Din's Glide (though a bit delayed)
2. Regular Din's fire. Note the dead zone right in front of Zelda.
3. Ideal Din's Glide. Zelda slides a fair distance, shrinking the deadzone to practically nothing. Ideal range.
4. Shortened Din's Glide. Zelda slides a tiny bit.
5. Regular Din's Fire, Again for comparison
6. Ideal Din's Glide again

Last edited:

BBNik

Smash Cadet
Got a vid of this? I wanna see it first.

But I'm assuming that you still go into freefall and you can't act after.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I assume this jump is from a running start hence the momentum. Ia this the case? Regardless I feel this can indeed be useful depemding on how much lag you have to deal with from the landing etc. That lack of a space between the hit box and Zelda really helps to minimize approach options for your opponent.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
Yeah I've used this a few times though I haven't really made it a point to.. well, point it out. LOL.

But yeah I have noticed that does happen. I think it's the way Din's Fire interacts with being in the air. Perhaps an Arial Din's Fire has an earlier detonation time than a Ground Din's fire.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Maybe Din's has some super secret hidden power if you use it in the air, and THAT'S why it puts us in freefall. :awesome:

But yeah, this might give us some sort of approach, even if it's a bad one. I occasionally used this back in Brawl.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I assume this jump is from a running start hence the momentum. Ia this the case? Regardless I feel this can indeed be useful depemding on how much lag you have to deal with from the landing etc. That lack of a space between the hit box and Zelda really helps to minimize approach options for your opponent.
Yeah, needs a running start it seems. Or at least a walking one.

Got a vid of this? I wanna see it first.

But I'm assuming that you still go into freefall and you can't act after.
it's easy enough to pull from the instructions alone.: Run, Jump, Side-B immediately after. It's meant to be used on the ground. If you go into freefall, you've done something horribly wrong.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
ehm i cant really see anytihng special when following the instructions, a vid or gif would be really appreciated

Alphatron

Smash Champion
If you can, a video of this would be highly appreciated. Originally, I thought this topic would be about that little glide she does whenever you use din's fire in the air (since it preserves your momentum) but out of a short hop.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
So I'm sure you've all noticed there's a bit of a dead zone between Zelda and the minimal range at which Din's Fire will detonate. But after playing around a bit, I've noticed that Zelda can slide pretty far if you run/walk, jump, then cancel the jump with a Side B immediately after it starts. The effect is that you sort of travel with the Fireball and you can detonate it much closer than if you used it from a neutral position. Doesn't do anything for the endlag though. Does this have any useful applications?
Do you mean what I did here from 1:17-1:19?

Last edited:

Alphatron

Smash Champion
It does look like it, but he said you're cancelling the jump with Din's fire and sliding across the ground. I think it works in the same way though.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Maybe there's a large window of frames where you can input the din's fire? In the video it's done in the later part of the window where as Muhznit is pulling it off in the earliest possible frame.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Risky. It leaves her open from behind if an opponent rolls behind her, as we see in that video (Charizard hit her right after she landed).

If you sourspot the Din's (which is tough, since sweetspot isn't too small and sweetspot itself has too much knockback), you could follow up with a Nair/Fair.

Either way, it almost never work as an approach, it's too easy to adjust to.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that I used to glide with Din's Fire in Brawl to mess with people and distance estimation. You could even glide in one direction and shoot it in another (don't remember the name of the technique...)

Not really effective, but fun.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I'm pretty sure that I used to glide with Din's Fire in Brawl to mess with people and distance estimation. You could even glide in one direction and shoot it in another (don't remember the name of the technique...)

Not really effective, but fun.
This. Zelda has had this since Brawl guys! All of her B moves can maintain/manipulate/cancel momentum in some way or another (except phantom to my knowledge). Like how you can use the knockback when she is hit off-stage to jump+nayru for upward movement. This Din's tech seems less punishable in sm4sh though, and I've been using it regularly. A good spacing technique I've been utilizing to some consistent success is to dash away from your opponent, short hop and then use Din's fire backward towards them. You create some good distance between you from the glide and punish them if they decided to chase.

Eulette

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-3444-8461
Maybe I've got the definition wrong, but I'm sure i've wavebounced Din on practice mode , you can even do it at the regular speed if you don't care about your circle pad! D; . You can also wavebounce the Phantom (although i can only do it at 1/4 speed :/. ) Neither are practical on the circle pad, but at the very least, a b-reversed phantom is useful for spacing. Its a shame i wont get the wii U though, so i'll exhaust my circle pad instead! And hello everyone~ i guess ill main zelda, dunno why, but lighting kicks and pretty phantoms seems like a good reason.
Edit: Although you won't get much momentum at normal speed with the Dins, at 1/4 its more noticeable.

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I don't think we can wavebounce dins on 3ds atm, we can get the glide back momentum cause of physics, but I think a smash stick is required for that instant fly back movement.

Eulette

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-3444-8461
Oooh... my bad, sorry. D: At least her reversed phantom slash looks cool :D

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I hope you all understand how much I despise having to deal with my phone's camera.

1. Run, Full hop, input din's fire midway through ascent. Results in Din's Fire exploding at Zelda's hurtbox. This is what I'm calling Din's Glide (though a bit delayed)
3. Ideal Din's Glide. Zelda slides a fair distance, shrinking the deadzone to practically nothing. Ideal range.
6. Ideal Din's Glide again.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
This literally has no use, it just makes you less safe. Dins fire is too laggy to follow up from, so using this to approach defeats the actual purpose of Dins Fire, which is to keep people away.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
I hope you all understand how much I despise having to deal with my phone's camera.

6. Ideal Din's Glide again.
your post made me cry

LeKevin

Smash Rookie
In brawl, I used it when fox would spam me with his gun. That way I could get close to him with a somewhat shield kind of thing. But, and I might just be imagining things, I think the brawl din's fire was a bit faster than sm4sh

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Yeah, as sad as it is, I don't really see much use for this. Tbh sometimes I'd do it in Brawl to try and get a "safer" landing but there's so much landing lag that it's basically useless, specially since Din's didn't have a transcendent hitbox.

I'm not sure if the case is the same in Sm4sh, but since Din's explosion is smaller now, I think it's even riskier to attempt this. I think we'd better stick to approaching with FW while people get used to it and expect it :'D

Top Bottom