• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Lucario Speed Buff?

Darxai

Smash Cadet
I know this sounds really stupid, but i'll just get my frustrations out.

As a Lucario main, i pretty much know every piece of Lucario in general, and something that bothers me is his move speed.

If you've seen Lucario in Project M he is basically perfect, with his on hit cancelling, and great movement speed.

While i understand lore doesn't exactly matter in this case, Lucario's base movement speed is 90, which actually isn't too bad for a character. He has very high attack power and very high special attack as well, but many seem to use him more towards his attack power.

Now let's talk smash. Lucario is one of the SLOWEST characters in the game. The whole reason for me wanting a movement speed buff for him is that most of his attacks are nearly impossible to hit due to his dash speed. In fact, heres an idea: Why not take out some of his aura range, and replace it for a better speed buff? This would especially make lucario fun to play as. Plus, i honestly think Lucario should have the dash speed of maybe around AT LEAST pikachu, considering both have the same movement speed.

Please discuss.

TL;DR: Replace his aura range for a dash buff, and try to make him around Pikachu's speed at least.

EDIT: To go back to the whole lore detail, he also has a passive ability that many Lucarios have. "Steadfast" Every time a pokemon flinches he gains movement speed. Possibly the amount of hits lucario lands, he can gradually gain movement speed? Not sure, just another idea

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pokemon =/= Smash.

In Smash, they decided to focus on the Aura mechanic, which does not even exist in the Pokemon games. So of course there will be some liberties when putting a Pokemon in a fighting game. Even the upcoming Pokken Tournament game shows this.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
I know this sounds really stupid, but i'll just get my frustrations out.

Now let's talk smash. Lucario is one of the SLOWEST characters in the game. The whole reason for me wanting a movement speed buff for him is that most of his attacks are nearly impossible to hit due to his dash speed. In fact, heres an idea: Why not take out some of his aura range, and replace it for a better speed buff? This would especially make lucario fun to play as. Plus, i honestly think Lucario should have the dash speed of maybe around AT LEAST pikachu, considering both have the same movement speed.
I honestly felt the same way about Lucario's speed at one point while playing the game, as I couldn't keep up with a Mario player who had nautrally faster attacks than I did at a tournament. As soon as I picked up on what was going on, I played more defensively since my moves were'nt getting through and used the aura to space him out. After the match I was flustered about lucario's attacks were slower than some of the cast, but I came to the conclusion that it was'nt impossible to hit others with them. If I had good timing and anticipation, I could get the hit.

Sure a speed buff seems good in theory, but lucario is good as he is without it to me.

Darxai

Smash Cadet
Pokemon =/= Smash.

In Smash, they decided to focus on the Aura mechanic, which does not even exist in the Pokemon games. So of course there will be some liberties when putting a Pokemon in a fighting game. Even the upcoming Pokken Tournament game shows this.
Like i said, i was including the fact that in canon, hes pretty fast, and of course, canon has some influence over a character. You don't see sheik with ganon's powerful moves, or bowser with diddy kong's moves

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
In canon, Kirby is the most powerful character since he can just eat someone and they go into the black hole that is his stomach.

Again, they purposely had to take some liberties with some characters because it's a fighting game of Nintendo characters. This isn't meant to directly compare the powers of each character to each other according to canon...that would be stupid.

Steam

Smash Hero
I saw project M lucario being implied as perfect and I couldn't read anymore of the thread. farewell.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I saw project M lucario being implied as perfect and I couldn't read anymore of the thread. farewell.
I'm surprised your eyes didn't explode in protest over what you read.

Last edited:

Darxai

Smash Cadet
i was implying the fact that lucario can actually move and get around with specials that actually require mobility. Plus, the fact that he has a spike in PM is great.

..uuuuu.....

Smash Cadet
i was implying the fact that lucario can actually move and get around with specials that actually require mobility. Plus, the fact that he has a spike in PM is great.
lucario doesnt need a spike, he just needs a spammable, gimpable move like little mac's nair or pacman's fair.

Last edited:

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
Faster speed would be nice. T'would be even better if his speed was buffed during his final smash. I can't KO anyone if I can't catch anyone!

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Didn't Lucario gain a minor speed buff in Smash 4? (he seems to move a little bit quicker on the ground than his Brawl counterpart).

If Lucario were to be at the exact same speed as Pikachu is right now (in his whole moveset, along with the massive aura buff he got in this game), he'd be the next Meta Knight easily.

Darxai

Smash Cadet
Didn't Lucario gain a minor speed buff in Smash 4? (he seems to move a little bit quicker on the ground than his Brawl counterpart).

If Lucario were to be at the exact same speed as Pikachu is right now (in his whole moveset, along with the massive aura buff he got in this game), he'd be the next Meta Knight easily.
like i said in the article, nerf his aura a bit.

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
I'd certainly like this for the terms. His aura is powerful and with Rage, it's getting pretty crazy. One good Smash at high aura is almost death. Problem most of the time is actually getting that smash. Aura Sphere should stay how it is though, in my own personal opinion.

Force Palm, i'd gladly reduce it's range to reduce it's lag time outside of it's Melee form.
The whole momentum from default extreme speed is cool but angling it so I wont get the serious lag is always a pain.

Double Team could be more viable, I know it can kill pretty well but missing it is terrible and I almost never actually use it.

Top Bottom