• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Still stands the point that K. Rool hasn't been relevant for a long time yet he made it and we all should be happy about that.
Sakurai thank you for Ridley and K. Rool.
Yes I'm happy and I know that. I just want to make sure the facts are 100% straight. Not saying you're wrong or trying to sound ungrateful just trying not to have misinformation of "20 years" being out there.

StormC

Smash Hero
In a sense it's not wrong about K. Rool. 1999 is the last time he was really in a mainstream hit. King Of Swing, Barrel Blast and Jungle Climber were all more niche titles that mostly diehard DK fans played (myself included). Of course, Porky's prospects are even more bleak since no single Mother game has been a breakout game comparable to the DKC trilogy and DK64, and only one of Porky's games has even left Japan. I wonder if his boss was removed because it was from a Japanese-only game.

Porky is probably my favorite Mother character and a spider mech fighter has a lot of potential, it's just hard to read the tea leaves right now given that we have no idea what direction DLC will take or if there's even anything on the horizon for the Mother series.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Wow, the supporter list is growing so quickly! :0
It’s nice to see so many new people join the great Pigmask crusade.
Welcome aboard friends

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
All this Porky missing from the spirits collection speculation really has brought some old and brand new supporters, I'm quite glad of this: we may be starting to grow the support we need to possibly get Porky high enough in any future poll for characters, and not only that, but all the evidence we are gathering. I must say I may have gotten my hopes a bit way too up in the past, and I still have my doubts on the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit thing, but regardless of that I still believe Porky will make it in some day for sure, sooner or later, we just gotta be patient and enjoy all our way through as we speculate, which from my point of view really is the main and the most fun reason to hop on to this thread. Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I hope that at least, if this ends up in nothing, at least more people end interested in the mother / earthbound franchise and ends up playing the games.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
And if Porky isnt in the game at all, that would be the DUMBEST thing. He is probably one of the most important characters in the mother series so i just dont see why he would be excluded in this game. He's been in almost all the other smash games and why exclude him now?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Who’s the girl behind the chubster also the irony in that drawing. If he was socializing with others Mother 3 wouldn’t have happened lol

Zeox

Smash Champion
Who’s the girl behind the chubster also the irony in that drawing. If he was socializing with others Mother 3 wouldn’t have happened lol
you mean Lip?

She is from a game called "Panel de pon" or something like that. the flower item from smash is from her game.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Lip from Panel de Pon, she was referenced several times in the series. She has a mii outfit, her Garbage Block is one of Kirby's Stone transformations and the item.
This is also her debut in the series, but as a Spirit.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Hey, where the heck is Bomberman?!?
The image was made around August, as you see Shovel Knight, and Ashley is missing who's also an Assist Trophy.
Isaac and Shadow is there because they weren't deconfirmed at the time.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Deconfrimed: Geno,Shadow,Skull Kid,Paper Mario and Isaac. Confirmed Ken and Isabelle. The others we just have to wait.

Yo Spirittamer really loves me I get the warning but there was TWO FREAKING PEOPLE HAVING A CONVERSATION DOING WAY MORE THEN DOUBLE POSTING!

Actually there’s a really good Earthbound time travel theory which states that all the terrible events from mother 1 to mother 3 were all due to Porky himself

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Even with these weird circumstances I really don't see Nintendo offering a character from a niche RPG series that only had one game leave Japan for DLC.
Two, actually. EarthBound Beginnings (Mother) was released internationally in 2015.

Two, actually. EarthBound Beginnings (Mother) was released internationally in 2015.
Deconfrimed: Geno,Shadow,Skull Kid,Paper Mario and Isaac. Confirmed Ken and Isabelle. The others we just have to wait.
Spirits do not deconfirm characters. Assist trophies maybe, but no not spirits. So Geno and Paper Mario are still in the running.

I'll reiterate it for those who are unaware: Spirits are trophies in Ultimate, Sakurai said that. Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4. Then they were announced as DLC.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'll reiterate it for those who are unaware: Spirits are trophies in Ultimate, Sakurai said that. Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4. Then they were announced as DLC.
There are two types of spirits, regular ones, and figher ones.
"Fighter spirits" cannot be equipped, they are basically just for the collection.
Leaks didn't found any spirit of Piranha Plant, which can be explained because we know PP will be a DLC fighter and the spirit will be unlocked once you beat classic mode with Piranha Plant.
With all this we can deduce that, unless the spirit is some kind of variant like "X character (weird not classic style)", is heavily implied that spirits do deconfirm characters, is not the same as trophies in 4 because spirits are part of the lore and actual items.
This is at least how I see it, I may be wrong at the end of the day.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
Ive seen a small amount of talk about masked man getting into smash, and i believe this as deconfirmed as lucas still has his masked man costume.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
The piling evidence is good for morale but dangerous for expectations; remember that he isn't in until he's in. Don't fool yourselves just to be crushed.

Rooting for more Mother characters. Porky has this covered. Fingers crossed.

Erfly

Smash Cadet
Yee, once again I'd be over the moon for this fat lad to be added, as Mother 3 is one of my favourite games.
He's just a great character that fills a lot of niches, a well-written villain for one of the original 12, he's got a unique way of fighting due to his mech, he gives mother more well deserved representation, and so on.

I'd love for him to be a fighter, and while I always saw him as my number 1 never ever, his chances are honestly higher than ever because of how weird it is to just have no spirit at all.
But until he's in, I'll be cautious. (I can hope though!!!!!)

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
A Mother fan knows patience, that's for sure. At this point I've come to the conclusion that the enormous black hole of Porky content guarantees he is important for something. He is either
  • A hidden boss
  • In the game but the leakers somehow missed him (astronomically unlikely with the resources we've been shared)
  • Due to be linked with future single player content or modes, like a boss rush with Duon, Rayquaza etc.
  • Going to be playable

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've gone through this thread and noticed a lot of double posting in general. That said, please avoid double posting and edit your messages instead. Thank you. :)

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
That Gameinformer interview with Sakurai talked about Spirits and it basically boiled down to "yeah, Spirits are for funsies". In other words, they don't deconfirm anyone like most people thought.
I just wanted to partly quote this post made by Armagon made in the Rex support thread due to seeing talk about spirits deconfirming or not.

Either way, the fact that he is completely missing is what makes boosts his chances (and other characters chances) as a DLC combatant. Not the fact Piranha Plant doesn't have a spirit in the base game and because of that people thinking characters like Masked Man or Pyra, Elma, etc. etc. are decomfirmed because they have spirits in the base game.

Also, I have seen footage of the playable Master Hand, and damn that looks tons of fun (however we don't know if there's a way of unlocking him outside of that one mode, either way Master Hand could be DLC of any kind, preferably free due to him having a full moveset, shield break, etc. etc. only thing he's missing is a smaller model and being able to be knocked around which shouldn't be hard to do). Nonetheless as a similar point was brought up in the Marx thread, it appears not even bosses can deconfirm characters at this point and seeming as we have mii costumes of old characters, new mii costumes of new alts of old characters, and mii costumes for newcomers... might be safe to say not even those deconfirm.

Honestly it's only a matter of time for a character to be an assist trophy and a playable character in the same game.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just wanted to partly quote this post made by Armagon made in the Rex support thread due to seeing talk about spirits deconfirming or not.

Either way, the fact that he is completely missing is what makes boosts his chances (and other characters chances) as a DLC combatant. Not the fact Piranha Plant doesn't have a spirit in the base game and because of that people thinking characters like Masked Man or Pyra, Elma, etc. etc. are decomfirmed because they have spirits in the base game.

Also, I have seen footage of the playable Master Hand, and damn that looks tons of fun (however we don't know if there's a way of unlocking him outside of that one mode, either way Master Hand could be DLC of any kind, preferably free due to him having a full moveset, shield break, etc. etc. only thing he's missing is a smaller model and being able to be knocked around which shouldn't be hard to do). Nonetheless as a similar point was brought up in the Marx thread, it appears not even bosses can deconfirm characters at this point and seeming as we have mii costumes of old characters, new mii costumes of new alts of old characters, and mii costumes for newcomers... might be safe to say not even those deconfirm.

Honestly it's only a matter of time for a character to be an assist trophy and a playable character in the same game.
Ummm spoiler-marks please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeox

Smash Champion
So, someone i know send me this, first is a tweet of the director of mother 3 celebrating the anniversary (this is just a cute tweet, is not really important or anything, in fact the tweet is pretty old so is not really relevant):
https://twitter.com/NobuhiroImagawa/status/854740990103502848?s=19
And then this from fangamer, they wrote this (a very popular and big website that sells official merchandise from videogames, like Undertale or Bomberman):

EDIT: Nevermind, this is all very old info, like, years old, and have nothing to do with next year, move along.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
So, someone i know send me this, first is a tweet of the director of mother 3 celebrating the anniversary (this is just a cute tweet, is not really important or anything, in fact the tweet is pretty old so is not really relevant):
https://twitter.com/NobuhiroImagawa/status/854740990103502848?s=19
And then this from fangamer (a very popular and big website that sells official merchandise from videogames, like Undertale or Bomberman):

Maybe there really is gonna be something for Mother's 30 anniversary?
Wow. I am speechless. I haven't seen anything like this before, usually all these anniversary theories are concocted by the fans only. Next year will be 30 years. A nice round number that we've seen in the past for celebrating Zelda, Mario, and even the Year of Luigi...

Year of Mother? Please.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Wow. I am speechless. I haven't seen anything like this before, usually all these anniversary theories are concocted by the fans only. Next year will be 30 years. A nice round number that we've seen in the past for celebrating Zelda, Mario, and even the Year of Luigi...

Year of Mother? Please.
Nononono, forget about that, pretend you didn't see it, it's very old posts, the person that send me that didn't notice but is years old.
First one is from 2017, second is from 2015, so is all useless info.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Ah okay, gotcha. That's a shame but it does nothing to affect my mood or the chances. Also, I suppose my comment is still technically true.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I know about the whole thing that spirits are like trophies and don't deconfirm characters: while I don't completely disbelief or believe this, the argument of "Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies" is kinda odd. This was probably due to them being in previous Smash games, they were pretty much an exception unlike the new characters that didn't have a trophy.

Also Porky's playable confirmed lol. I just got this random tweet.
prove.PNG

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
I’m under the impression that the DLC pack will not have characters that are Spirits, but if they do any more fighter passes, they can be characters that have Spirits. This is why I personally am backing the theory that Adeleine, Porky, and Sylux are getting in.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Hoping if Porky gets in that he somehow reps the weird Mother status effects. Perhaps a “What Did Porky Do?” beam that can spawn flowers, fruit, and various damage types, like Judgement.

Also thought it might be cute if Stinky Gas forces the opponent into a taunt or something, but I’m not sure how that would work.

Top Bottom