• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Porky in Mother 3 is the moment he reached his top potential, where he learnt PSI, has his private army, hell a game that was almost themed after him in the original plans.
It's also probably the game where most of the potential spirits would come from. Pig Mask army, Fassad, NKC, the statue... As well as tons of potential musics.

Porky in Earthbound though has the best design and actually has more appearances and a true rivalry with Ness being displayed there. It's also the game where they would inevitably choose his final Smash (releasing Giygas) and probably his home stage with THE Porky theme: Cease to exist.

I'm hoping for an hybrid of some sort.

FoursideKM

Smash Cadet
I think Mother 3 Porky would be more unique gameplay-wise since I'd imagine his mech would be facing the camera the whole time. Also he has a rad mustache

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
1621105357605.png

Young Porky in his M3 mech would be bomb. If Sakurai had the Porky figure in his drawer, he would base Porky's default appearance on that design.
Smash could use it's first Child Main Antagonist.

SirLordCapybara

Smash Rookie
While I like Porky's Mother 3 design more than his Earthbound one, I have a really hard time imagining how stuff like grabbing ledges would look with it.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
While I like Porky's Mother 3 design more than his Earthbound one, I have a really hard time imagining how stuff like grabbing ledges would look with it.
That's why I believe they won't use either mechs, but instead make a mix of both, the spider appearance but featuring the pigmask logo and painted purple or something like that.
No, the issue is how the mech would climb a ladder.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
That's why I believe they won't use either mechs, but instead make a mix of both, the spider appearance but featuring the pigmask logo and painted purple or something like that.
No, the issue is how the mech would climb a ladder.
either the left or right side of the mech will use its legs to grab the ladder. Think of it as a spider on a web
1621120968886.png

Zeox

Smash Champion
If I were to announce Porky, I would do it after an Earthbound announcement, for example let's say they announce that Earthbound and Earthbound beginnings, following up with a trailer that starts with Lucas, making fans believe that finally, we are getting Mother 3 and maybe is even a remake... but no, is just Nintendo messing with Earthbound fans on purpose and is actually Porky's announcement to Smash.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If I were to announce Porky, I would do it after an Earthbound announcement, for example let's say they announce that Earthbound and Earthbound beginnings, following up with a trailer that starts with Lucas, making fans believe that finally, we are getting Mother 3 and maybe is even a remake... but no, is just Nintendo messing with Earthbound fans on purpose and is actually Porky's announcement to Smash.
Too cruel.
If Porky actually is revealed, I would say they would announce Earthbound just after, the same way Isabelle kinda announced a new Animal Crossing game, and Duck Hunt advertised a port of DUCK HUNT.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I prefer the Porky Smash Announcement over the Mother 3 Localization. I don't want to wait another 5 years for my favorite character to get in Smash. I can just play Mother 3 on my computer.

All first party choices were made to promote their game. It makes me scared. I just wish Nintendo wouldn't base their first party choices on freaking "promotion." I thought Smash was a hall of gaming not some promotion fest.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Tbh I prefer the Porky Smash Announcement over the Mother 3 Localization. I don't want to wait another 5 years for my favorite character to get in Smash. I can just play Mother 3 on my computer.

All first party choices were made to promote their game. It makes me scared. I just wish Nintendo wouldn't base their first party choices on freaking "promotion." I thought Smash was a hall of gaming not some promotion fest.
Smash is already a hall of gaming. The next two characters, if they were by some magic cancelled, wouldn't change that fact.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...We sure it's Sony and not somebody pretending to be Sony? You have to remember people pull this crap time and time again and Youtube can't take the chance of making sure they're "fake" companies. They can get in trouble if they don't listen, so.

I mean, why would Sony do this? They don't own the music. Unless it's literally their video games with music from EarthBound being put over it(which is more of a strike on them using their own content, but not their music. GMV's are not necessarily okay, as they don't fall under parodies. Albeit, some companies are silly about even joke references to music. Even the tiniest sound clip, even if it can fall under parody sometimes).

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
...We sure it's Sony and not somebody pretending to be Sony? You have to remember people pull this crap time and time again and Youtube can't take the chance of making sure they're "fake" companies. They can get in trouble if they don't listen, so.

I mean, why would Sony do this? They don't own the music. Unless it's literally their video games with music from EarthBound being put over it(which is more of a strike on them using their own content, but not their music. GMV's are not necessarily okay, as they don't fall under parodies. Albeit, some companies are silly about even joke references to music. Even the tiniest sound clip, even if it can fall under parody sometimes).
It's 100% Sony. They focused on all Earthbound music, also copyright striked the Pollyanna animation a month ago. And also claimed a video because some person played Earthbound and didn't make commentary over one of the musics. And Sony distributed cd's and vinyls of the mother 1 and mother 2 soundtracks.
People also confirmed this on the Earthbound reddit that their videos have been simultaneously striked by them.
Why now? No reason but Sony has been going at it for a month. Fortunately I saved most of the songs.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
It's 100% Sony. They focused on all Earthbound music, also copyright striked the Pollyanna animation a month ago. And also claimed a video because some person played Earthbound and didn't make commentary over one of the musics. And Sony distributed cd's and vinyls of the mother 1 and mother 2 soundtracks.
People also confirmed this on the Earthbound reddit that their videos have been simultaneously striked by them.
Why now? No reason but Sony has been going at it for a month. Fortunately I saved most of the songs.
Either Porky is finally coming to smash with EB to switch or some other deal going on with the mother series.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It sucks that Youtube can't say "no", and it makes no sense to worry about one single song. If there's no commentary, I agree it fails to be a parody/unique content. It's a part of why stuff that replays old shows are taken down, and you can barely get away with it by throwing up annotations(...that can be disabled). It doesn't really change much, since it's not a true parody, but eh.

Anyway, yeah, I agree it's bull. You don't need to commentate over every goddamn song. Just something unique within each video counts.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Either Porky is finally coming to smash with EB to switch or some other deal going on with the mother series.
Doubtful. It's not the first time companies go on random strikes for no reason.
Plus they didn't remove these songs in 2015 when Earthbound Beginnings released on Wii U.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not worried about remixes. You license it, boom, done. Sony isn't that bad as people make 'em.

Also, it's probably just that some employees saw the music being used, checked out the LP, and cause it didn't fit a very "specific" parody rule, they were able to copyright strike it. The worst part is, while it's stupid, they legally can cause the particular song matters just as much as the rest of the content. Legally, it should depend upon the whole video, not one instance of it. If the whole video has unique content, it belongs in the parody selection. Of course, there should be context on how the content is handled too, but that has to be seen per video. As of now, I do think they're being silly about it. Besides, one has to remember there's been music issues with EarthBound/Mother before as they've used instrumentals of a song(which means they're not doing a parody like Weird Al Yankovik, but just literally removing the words. That's not a parody. That's just the same song being re-recorded. Also worth keeping in mind parodies where you put in different words wasn't always legal either. That took time to do so. So it was always an issue to deal with).

If anything, Sony isn't as entirely stingy as we're suggesting, since many of the songs originally were basically stealing from other artists in the first place. In a way, they are partially in the right, but for a different reason. I say partially, cause there's no excuse if a lot of the video is fine. One song not being dubbed over doesn't stop it from being a parody. I'd look at the particular video. How much commentary was there? Was it almost all commentary barring one song? Was there no commentary in the first place(in which case Sony really are being fair about it. But only in that particular context).

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
In the villains ring, our major rival is Eggman from Sonic. I know Porky is nowhere near on the same level as Eggman, so these could be a bit of another obstacle for us on the top of the many obstacles we already have ugh.

FoursideKM

Smash Cadet

Actually I believe Sony does own the rights to the soundtrack

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Does Sony actually have rights to the original videogame soundtrack or just the vinyls they produced and those versions of the music? I find it incredibly weird that another company would own the music of the game itself; Sony also wasn't involved in the Mother 1+2 album nor Mother 3's (and the Mother 1+2 album did tracks that Sony's albums also did), so Sony owning complete rights doesn't make sense.

Although, it probably doesn't matter since we have some remixes anyway, including Pollyanna and Bein' Friends.

It's possible that if EarthBound playthroughs are being copyright-striked by Sony, then it's their bots being stupid. They also striked a vocal/lyric cover of Bob-omb Battlefield by Juno Songs months ago (indicating a fake Sony is going around, iirc they definitely have no rights over SM64 songs).

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
1621388601286.png

SAME ENERGY

I think Porky's Final Smash would be named "?! . . . What did Porky do?!" It cuts to this scene then Porky could do what ever next like release Giygas or cause a particle explosion fest.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I don't know enough about the subject but it might even be the reason there's no songs straight from Earthbound in Smash. It's one of the only series in Smash to only have remixes
I believe it's that too.
Which is why we probably won't get any straight rip-off from an Earthbound game.
So "Cease to Exist" will be remixed if it does come with Porky.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I still find it really weird that they haven’t added either Mother game to the the collections yet,
Surely they have something planned..
Possibly releasing these games by themselves on the ESHOP.
They sold extremely well on the Wii U; why not grab some more money by releasing them again on Switch without using the SNES/NES collections?

Top Bottom