• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
I don’t mean to sound like a jerk but cmon guys Geno was never gonna be in #1 he’s not even a official Mario character #2 He’s only appeared in 1 game and that was for SNES a long time ago #3 the game was from wasn’t even developed by miyamoto. The only reason why people are even still is because he’s heavily requested...for some reason sorry but he’s a waste of a slot imo

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Vergeben has said the next character is not Geno, Ryu, Doom Slayer, or Scorpion. I doubt we'd get Porky here, but what do you guys think?
If we get a Nintendo character in the Season Pass which I highly doubt, Porky as well as Sylux has the best chances among any of the Nintendo characters because of them not having Spirits. But among potential 3rd party characters? I would say a Namco-Bandai rep specifically Lloyd Irving has the best chances. Namco-Bandai only has Pac-Man in the roster right now and they are helping Sakurai and Sora Lt. develop the game. So I would say it would be fair and make a lot of sense if they got another rep in this game specifically for DLC for the extra cash. So honestly, even if it's not Lloyd, I'm like 99% certain another Namco-Bandai rep is going to be DLC at some point.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
If we get a Nintendo character in the Season Pass which I highly doubt, Porky as well as Sylux has the best chances among any of the Nintendo characters because of them not having Spirits. But among potential 3rd party characters? I would say a Namco-Bandai rep specifically Lloyd Irving has the best chances. Namco-Bandai only has Pac-Man in the roster right now and they are helping Sakurai and Sora Lt. develop the game. So I would say it would be fair and make a lot of sense if they got another rep in this game specifically for DLC for the extra cash. So honestly, even if it's not Lloyd, I'm like 99% certain another Namco-Bandai rep is going to be DLC at some point.
Don't forget Poochy

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wooly World, but he isn't in the game as a normal spirit. It's like having Paper Mario and saying "Yeah, that's Mario."
I guess you're right. But I still don't see it as serious as Porky and Sylux's situations where they don't have any Spirit whatsoever.

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I do hope we get at least one first party character in the next wave, it would be refreshing to see some characters from Nintendo’s library show up for a change

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo villains pack maybe ( King Boo = Luigi, Kamek = Yoshi, Deathborn/Black Shadow/Samurai Goroh = Captain Falcon, Leon = Falco, Ness = Porky ) 5 Nintendo characters for the next 5 character slots; what do you guys think

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nintendo villains pack maybe ( King Boo = Luigi, Kamek = Yoshi, Deathborn/Black Shadow/Samurai Goroh = Captain Falcon, Leon = Falco, Ness = Porky ) 5 Nintendo characters for the next 5 character slots; what do you guys think
I would be all up for that! But honestly, I think King Boo might have to wait until Smash 6 to get in, which I'm kind of fine with. He would be a cool character, but he isn't anywhere near on the top of my priority list.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Don’t know why Sakurai said he’s done with echos Blood Falcon could have easily taken F-zero’s villain rep wouldn’t even require that much work compared to the others

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think if we do have one (or more) first party characters Porky will be in it. There's a lot of talk about Sylux too, but he's nowhere near the popularity of Porky (Sylux his only the main vilains of Prime hunters, a game that isn't that popular in the Metroid franchise). Sylux is only really popular because people think he will be the main vilain of Metroid prime 4, but this game will probably not release before 5 years. Poochy is also missing a spirits, but I don't see him being big enough to be sold as dlc.

The only way I could think of having another first party character than Porky is if they decide to go for a recent character (like Astral chain protagonist or Byleth).

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm excited for the game awards, but I really don't think it will be Porky moments. Game awards will probably be someone that everyone knows (so another third party). Porky feels more like a Nintendo direct announcement to me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Don’t know why Sakurai said he’s done with echos Blood Falcon could have easily taken F-zero’s villain rep wouldn’t even require that much work compared to the others
While Blood Falcon could be his Echo, I would much prefer if Black Shadow is instead. But I respect your opinion.

Also, I love your new avatar it's creepy lol!

I think if we do have one (or more) first party characters Porky will be in it. There's a lot of talk about Sylux too, but he's nowhere near the popularity of Porky (Sylux his only the main vilains of Prime hunters, a game that isn't that popular in the Metroid franchise). Sylux is only really popular because people think he will be the main vilain of Metroid prime 4, but this game will probably not release before 5 years. Poochy is also missing a spirits, but I don't see him being big enough to be sold as dlc.

The only way I could think of having another first party character than Porky is if they decide to go for a recent character (like Astral chain protagonist or Byleth).
Or Spirit or Assist promotion in Bandana Dee, Elma, Rex & Pyra, Waluigi, Isaac, Ashley, Krystal, Skull Kid, ect. Honestly, Porky has kind of no worries since he isn't in the game at all. Porky is definitely a top contender to be the next Nintendo rep if we even get more because of this.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Could be better it's kind of personal..anyway I just figured we were all just gonna relax until something noteworthy came up.

Hey I'm just saying Blood Falcon for simplicity's sake

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I kinda have no hopes for Porky at this point, he's still my number 1, but with Nintendo 100% ignoring Mother 30 anniversary and the year of the pig, I don't see it happening at this point.
I hope Smash Ultimate wins the award of "game of the year", but it seems the people that are in charge of that are friends with Hideo Kojima and probably will give that award to Death Stranding instead.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I kinda have no hopes for Porky at this point, he's still my number 1, but with Nintendo 100% ignoring Mother 30 anniversary and the year of the pig, I don't see it happening at this point.
I hope Smash Ultimate wins the award of "game of the year", but it seems the people that are in charge of that are friends with Hideo Kojima and probably will give that award to Death Stranding instead.
I feel like a Smash Direct in December or a reveal at the VGA is Porky's last chance for this game.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Dudes what's with the negativity?; All sakurai has to instinuate is that one of the upcoming packs will focus on nintendo centric characters c'mon dont give up yet

Dude u really gave him a 2/10 a 2?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Tonberry2k

Smash Cadet
Dudes what's with the negativity?; All sakurai has to instinuate is that one of the upcoming packs will focus on nintendo centric characters c'mon dont give up yet

Dude u really gave him a 2/10 a 2?
I mean, as far as Nintendo properties go, he's from a finished franchise that had its last entry more than 10 years ago in a genre that Nintendo currently has two VERY strong, current contenders in (Pokemon and Fire Emblem). Additionally, Smash is already oversaturated with RPG characters, who outnumber every other genre in the roster.
The two most important characters from said franchise are already included in Smash.
So as much as I'd love to see Porky, personally, the larger picture shows that there is a better choice than him for every criteria.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Rumors are circulating that the 5th fighter in this fighter pack will be Springman if that's the case I see only as a plus for us Porky boys

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean, as far as Nintendo properties go, he's from a finished franchise that had its last entry more than 10 years ago in a genre that Nintendo currently has two VERY strong, current contenders in (Pokemon and Fire Emblem). Additionally, Smash is already oversaturated with RPG characters, who outnumber every other genre in the roster.
The two most important characters from said franchise are already included in Smash.
So as much as I'd love to see Porky, personally, the larger picture shows that there is a better choice than him for every criteria.
There is a small slim chance that Porky as Smash DLC could be promotion for a Mother 3 localization release finally coming to the west. 2019 is Mother's 30th anniversary and the year of the pig. That is the only way I could see Porky getting in is if he is FP5 and revealed next month in a Smash Direct or the VGA otherwise, I kind don't think he's happening. Either way, December is Porky's best chance if anytime at all.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why won't they make a Earthbound remake? SNES RPG remakes seem to be a thing after all...

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Meaning why waste a character slot on a spin-off character who's only appeared on one game that's the point

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't really like Geno honestly, but I don't see the point of bringing character war in this thread. Especially if you consider that our character appeared in 2 games, 1 didn't release outside of Japan and is from a dead franchise, and he's also not the main character (and arguably not even the main vilain) of the game he's in.

I don't want to bring negativity to this thread but Porky isn't more or less relevant than Geno and there's no point to compare them.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Meaning why waste a character slot on a spin-off character who's only appeared on one game that's the point
Considering we're also fans of an irrelevant character that's only shown up in two seminal yet relatively niche RPGs, it feels very hypocritical and an attack for no reason.

funnaming

Smash Rookie
I'm still hoping that those sunflowers mean something lol... it's also weird that mother and mother 2 are gone from the nes and snes online still.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we just need to see which direction Sakurai takes the next DLC batch.
If he continues to add third parties then it’s over

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm still hoping that those sunflowers mean something lol... it's also weird that mother and mother 2 are gone from the nes and snes online still.
If Porky doesn't make it in, that unknown screencap of those flowers will forever haunt me lol! :rotfl:

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Wait what sunflowers?
In the spirit event for Mother, there was a new HD render of Sunflower Fields in the background instead of using the sprite version from Mother 3 so people speculated that it could have been a new stage for someone like Porky or Masked Man
394E3B4C-EB5D-420F-A82F-B1014CEE2386.jpeg

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, those sunflowers were strange. The sky is from the Tortimer’s Island stage, but the sunflowers are never there. I think people looked closely at them and found them to be models and not just artwork, too, though I guess they could‘ve just rendered them and then pasted them over an image of the sky...

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
It just sucks that all Mother got for its 30th was a pretty meh spirit event and nothing else.
I kind of hope we’ll get a remaster announcement for the series at the game awards if we don’t get something smash or BOTW2 related but I don’t think that’s gonna happen

Top Bottom