• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Popularity is a garbage metric to select characters for Smash

Quillion

Smash Hero
Worked just fine for me :ultkrool:
At least K. Rool benefitted from being the main villain of the Donkey Kong series, and the DKCR era doesn't really change that since the two villains of those games work as one-shot villains and are clearly intended to be such.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The irony of using K. Rool as a positive example of popularity metrics is that one of his most common detractor argument before he was confirmed to be a playable character was that he was “too obscure” and “too irrelevant” to do well on the ballot and his support was only a “vocal minority”.

As we know, he got in as one of the few newcomer ballot choices among the newcomer roster heavily owning to him being the signature villain of an iconic, long running Nintendo franchise. And characters that are important to iconic, long running Nintendo franchises always get strong fan demand for Smash.

Oh hi, Tom Nook.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The irony of using K. Rool as a positive example of popularity metrics is that one of his most common detractor argument before he was confirmed to be a playable character was that he was “too obscure” and “too irrelevant” to do well on the ballot and his support was only a “vocal minority”.

As we know, he got in as one of the few newcomer ballot choices among the newcomer roster heavily owning to him being the signature villain of an iconic, long running Nintendo franchise. And characters that are important to iconic, long running Nintendo franchises always get strong fan demand for Smash.

Oh hi, Tom Nook.
Wasn't Nook hated for a long time because he was forcing you to work for him and forcing house upgrades on you in the first few Animal Crossing games? It's only when New Leaf did away with those that he started to develop a fandom.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wasn't Nook hated for a long time because he was forcing you to work for him and forcing house upgrades on you in the first few Animal Crossing games? It's only when New Leaf did away with those that he started to develop a fandom.
he’s always had fans and haters from what I can tell

Quillion

Smash Hero
he’s always had fans and haters from what I can tell
I think fans definitely loved his tragic story of how he became a cynical, pushy businessman (if only newer Animal Crossing games would bring those hidden sidestories back...). But it was New Leaf toning down his worst aspects and New Horizons re-spotlighting him rather than Isabelle that his fandom really grew.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don’t know about being hated or not, but I do remember the idea of Tom Nook being the villain of Animal Crossing being a popular viewpoint/meme.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don’t know about being hated or not, but I do remember the idea of Tom Nook being the villain of Animal Crossing being a popular viewpoint/meme.
I mean, characters often get hated for being associated with bad/tedious mechanics all the time, like Tingle for padding out Wind Waker with the map translations, Fi for her endless exposition and hints, and Morgana with night limits.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am just thankful Duck Hunt Dog actually got in Smash in spite of little to no Smash fanbase support. :4duckhunt:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
i seem the recall the support list in his old thread was really long
In regards to Smash 4, it was about 78 pages.

What IS worth pointing out though, is that it didn't actually begin to gain serious traction until the roster leaks began to occur, by the end of July 2014. Before hand, it was at only about 8 pages.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

What IS worth pointing out though, is that it didn't actually begin to gain serious traction until the roster leaks began to occur, by the end of July 2014. Before hand, it was at only about 8 pages.

That’s not quite what I meant

Quillion

Smash Hero
I am just thankful Duck Hunt Dog actually got in Smash in spite of little to no Smash fanbase support. :4duckhunt:
i seem the recall the support list in his old thread was really long

I mean, Smash Crusade had its own iteration of Duck Hunt Dog long before Smash introduced its canon version. Being in a 2-for-1 pack with SMB1 gave it way more mileage than it would have otherwise.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Smash Crusade had its own iteration of Duck Hunt Dog long before Smash introduced its canon version. Being in a 2-for-1 pack with SMB1 gave it way more mileage than it would have otherwise.
are you saying his status as an icon is an accident?

Quillion

Smash Hero
are you saying his status as an icon is an accident?
I don't know about "accident", but I'm sure that if, say, Ice Climber was in a 2-in-1 pack with SMB1 and Duck Hunt wasn't, their fandoms would be switched.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I doubt it would be that simple
Nah I definitely agree with the sentiment. Duck Hunt has a LOT more notoriety in regions where it was a pack in game (ie, North America), both among the black box games, and among the NES Zapper games. In NA it was one of only two games every NES owner was guaranteed to have.

And if there's any further doubt, Sakurai literally referenced Duck Hunt's notoriety mostly stemming from being a North American pack in game in the Smash 4 design document.

"The US version of the NES came packaged with Duck Hunt and an NES Zapper, so the game and character enjoy surprising notoriety!"

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nah I definitely agree with the sentiment. Duck Hunt has a LOT more notoriety in regions where it was a pack in game (ie, North America), both among the black box games, and among the NES Zapper games. In NA it was one of only two games every NES owner was guaranteed to have.

And if there's any further doubt, Sakurai literally referenced Duck Hunt's notoriety mostly stemming from being a North American pack in game in the Smash 4 design document.

"The US version of the NES came packaged with Duck Hunt and an NES Zapper, so the game and character enjoy surprising notoriety!"
didn't the notoriety come from the dog rather than the game being bundled with NES?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
didn't the notoriety come from the dog rather than the game being bundled with NES?
And the dog only became notorious BECAUSE it was a pack in game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I always read it was cause it was laughing at the player
Yes, and those players wouldn't have the game in the first place if it wasn't a pack-in title. It being a pack-in game for one of the single largest markets is absolutely why it was able to get that degree of mindshare.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes, and those players wouldn't have the game in the first place if it wasn't a pack-in title. It being a pack-in game for one of the single largest markets is absolutely why it was able to get that degree of mindshare.
well my point is I don’t think I’ve climber had anything that would have had the same effect

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
really? shame
From page 8 to page 13, we were just speculating about the leak.

Page 13 is when we first saw Duck Hunt Dog in leaked pictures.

Page 37 is when we finally got confirmation that Duck Hunt Dog is really in the game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From page 8 to page 13, we were just speculating about the leak.

Page 13 is when we first saw Duck Hunt Dog in leaked pictures.

Page 37 is when we finally got confirmation that Duck Hunt Dog is really in the game.
i was talking about your list of supporters

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
The Duck Hunt situation is an interesting story. Do think that says something about how decent choices fly under the radar until they look like a decent possibility.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Last I checked on the Zelda forums I hate, there's also this growing idea that Tatl was an earlier and better Midna in every way.
Oh, really? I'm glad to read that: I've had this opinion since the release of Twilight Princess!

Top Bottom