• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Lol Im not workin that late...Im just kind of awake. I have been enjoying my freedom and have been staying out past 2am like a total rebel. (aka Losing track of time while playing Brawl or BRAYZBROOOO)

Menoooooooooooo

global-wolf

Smash Champion
New people <3333333333

I think the picture in Meno's post is pretty lol...

In two weeks after school ends I'll be starting my draw all the pokemon project. If I actually manage to follow through with this I can do anything |D

M4RTYR

Smash Rookie
Meh....my old WoW character portrait I never finished...Only worked about 2 hours on it? Fail.

And thanks for the warm welcome<3

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
After spending a few days trying painting digitally (by which I totally mean playing on Duke Nukem Forever >_>) I've come to the conclusion that it's fairly easy to make something look good without much effort being put into it. I appreciate the fact that you don't actually have to mix colours, because all I can ever get is dark shades of green and a purply brown; which is what most of my paintings are coloured in with.

Still, I'm enjoying it better than I enjoy painting, mostly because I'm not patient, and it takes me forever to paint things, and I can only paint for like 10cm before I need more paint on my brush. My preferred fine art medium are conte crayons, because I just dig them.

And M4RTYR, that pictures looking pretty sweet; I'm especially liking the shade around the cheekbones/nose, mostly because I cannot draw anything with an extended nose, and the hair, which is the reason I chose to draw a bald guy for my first digital painting DX.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I still can't get over how he did that much in 2 hrs. Makin' me feel slooooow

Plus hair is quite possibly the most annoying thing to paint. Ever.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Some nice pokemon is gonna come by and push it up :3

Actually what happens is a caterpie starts eating the meganium's petals, and then Meganium becomes an insectvore and eats the caterpie. Meanwhile nurse joy and her chansey go out on a walk and chansey evolves into blissey. And then nurse joy gets eaten by a wild charizard. Then Blissey finds Meganium and pushes her up.

Geist

Smash Master
Blissey is such a nice personmon

Doing a speed painting btw
should be done by tonight if I decide to work on it straight.

M4RTYR

Smash Rookie
I love the colours on that Meganium painting! :D The style is really awesome.

Some spacey/Starcraft 2 speed doodles. Around 2 hours for this...=/ Darn Zealot and his details!

Geist

Smash Master
Thanks, and thanks :]

Oh and I totally forgot, great stuff Martyr, I like your style man. It takes a lot to get my *** into gear but you managed to do it temporarily. Props to you sir.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
How are you all doing these incredible paintings in under 2 hours lol

Geist, out of curiosity, do you use a tablet?

Geist

Smash Master
Wow, how do you select colors like that Bren? It looks like real light.
I use color a few different ways. Burn and dodge are good for establishing the correct color for highlights and shadows of anything composed of a single color. But to decide the color for say, the ground, you kinda have to eyeball it. It helps to have a way over-saturated color and then paint it on with opacity or a mess with a layer effect just to find out what it should look like.
Also when I select a new color, I place my color wheel right next to the thing/object I'll be painting it on just so I know it matches consistently with the rest of the painting.
How are you all doing these incredible paintings in under 2 hours lol

Geist, out of curiosity, do you use a tablet?
Yup lol. I use a little Wacom Bamboo Pen. No fancy tablets for me, too much money.

In other news, I really need an updated sig. Hmm

global-wolf

Smash Champion
What to do if your parents don't support your art at all?

It's more just my mom actually. My dad hasn't really said anything on the matter. Today as we were coming home from a store she asked about community service hours, and somehow that turned into what I'm gonna do after high school. She said I'd have to major in something that can "make money." She's said this at least twenty times. I haven't actually said what I'm gonna do, because I haven't decided yet, but she keeps on mentioning this at every possible moment, and I was pretty tired of hearing how I'm gonna die poor if I become an artist. So I ask her to stop telling me over and over, and she starts saying I am a bunch of things that I am not and putting words in my mouth. Basically she thinks I will never be good enough to make money off my art and that I blame my dad for "ruining my chance at fortune" by blocking deviantart.

Every time she talks I lose more hope and I get kinda demotivated. Which doesn't help at all....

M4RTYR

Smash Rookie
Global-wolf, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but let me tell you this: "You have to want it more." That's what my brother told me. Art isn't going to make you a "fortune", but it sure as heck will make you a decent living if you really want it to.

Wether you go Graphic Design, or more towards Digital painting, most jobs in those areas pay really, really well. I'm a senior in college studying Graphic Design, but my true passion is digital painting. I only have the Graphic Design degree to get a job while I build up a stronger portfolio. It all depends on how much you want it!

And about a fortune...I'm looking at a job in Seattle that starts at $35-$45 an hour as a concept artist...That's over $70,000 a year. Don't let anyone, including your parents tell you Art won't make you money.

Also, art and graphic design have stayed strong even through this "recession". People will always need people like you and me. This world needs art, and we're here to give it to them. =}

I hope I've helped, Global-Wolf! I heard the same things growing up! My parents never told me I shouldn't pursue art, but they never seemed interested in helping, so I kinda know how you feel!

-phew-

Alright, I'm done. =]

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
If only I was good enough i could make a living out of it.

but I gotta settle for another job so I can live on my own and hope that the web comic I decide to start will provide the dream I want.

Yes, Global, what Martyr said is pretty on point. Don't get discouraged.

M4RTYR

Smash Rookie
Tryin' out a quick new comic-like style~ Me and my fiancé<3

And yes, I'm wearing a Dunder Mifflin shirt, and yes she's wearing an Autobots shirt. Pure win. :D

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Thank you M4RTYR and Zio... that was actually really encouraging. o__o

Sometimes I forget why I want to be an artist. I remember now though... and I still have a few more years to prepare. :)

Hope you get that job M4RTYR! And you guys look cute. :3

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
ZIO. computer died. ; A ; I am so sorry D: I will srsly write out by hand and have a friend type up if I have to. Or ps3. D: lost my file though. Soooo ticked

:phone:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You aren't the only one who's files got lost. So you aren't alone.

Don't stress.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
I heard schools in the US are a money pit + (art) schools don't deliver as much as you would expect a lot of times. Sometimes you're better off without higher education.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord

And yes, I'm wearing a Dunder Mifflin shirt, and yes she's wearing an Autobots shirt. Pure win. :D
Nice picture. It seems like most people on here can use color really well. My color theory (?) is garbage -see facebook graffiti haha- Also, The Office is one of my favorite shows. Congrats on your engagement by the way.

Geist

Smash Master

d'awww

ZIO. computer died. ; A ; I am so sorry D: I will srsly write out by hand and have a friend type up if I have to. Or ps3. D: lost my file though. Soooo ticked

You aren't the only one who's files got lost. So you aren't alone.

Don't stress.
omfgz guys r u srs
ur so iresponsble

Geist

Smash Master
Might as well take advantage of accidental doublepost

I heard schools in the US are a money pit + (art) schools don't deliver as much as you would expect a lot of times. Sometimes you're better off without higher education.
It's impossible to scope anything with such a wide generalization, especially anything that's institutionalized with as much variety in industry as art. Many private institutions are strictly in it for the dollar, but even many of those have legitimate credentials. I could go into the logistics of it but tl;dr

Also it's widely dependant on what you want to go in to. Getting a higher education in fine arts, for example, is much different than getting an education for graphic design.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Saw something kinda weird the other day. A local gaming show had a Michael Jackson the experience dance off. Throughout, there was a guy in a mario (official looking) suit dancing along. They were dancing to the KINECT version...

Top Bottom