• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Geist

Smash Master
This stuff is from the beginning of this year. Don't expect anything awesome though. These are doodles from class and most of my drawings look like their stuffed; i.e. their stiff and don't have a natural relaxed feel to them :/
I like your use of forced perspective, but it suffers due to anatomical issues, which is why you're getting said 'stuffed feeling'. Practicing with purpose is the best way to get better. Once you learn proper anatomical proportions, you can learn to properly break them to more effectively get the stylized look that you're going for.
Keep it up though, I'd like to see you become a regular here.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Dark, I would offer feedback as well....but everyone stole my answers. GOSH GUYS. AND GLOBAL. <3
Just practice that anatomy and keep working on that perspective! You got this!

Also...E3.
Microsoft bored me since it was a rehash of 2010.
Missed Sony because of work (DVR'd it. CANT WAIT OMG <3)
Missed EA and Ubisoft too...will watch later.
Hype lineup of games to be demo'd.
...AND NINTENDO. ITS GONNA BE THE MOST GLORIOUS THING EVER.

Geist

Smash Master
now relevant to thread title I doodled my female companion just now. Took me about 25 minutes :3
[collapse="SPEEEEED PAINTINGGGG"]

coolest hair ever or sweetest hair ever
YOU choose AE[/collapse]

Also...E3.
Microsoft bored me since it was a rehash of 2010.
Missed Sony because of work (DVR'd it. CANT WAIT OMG <3)
Missed EA and Ubisoft too...will watch later.
Hype lineup of games to be demo'd.
...AND NINTENDO. ITS GONNA BE THE MOST GLORIOUS THING EVER.
oh gawd mass effect 3 will be glorious in all of its ...glory
no words can describe, rather than HYPE
also fingers super crossed for a smash bros sequel. I want to believe.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Bren, stop having talent.
Or we'll cut you.

Agreement * A * So prettyy...even though that doesnt even describe it correctly.
This is just a great year for hype games. Dont own any fps....BUT I AM BUYING MW3, BATTLEFIELD 3, AND FUTURE SOLDIER.
...Always. By Erasure. That's what I thought when you said believe. Its cuz your avatar, dude.

AND KURT YOUR PHOTOS ARE STILL MAGICAL. MAGICALLLLLL.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Geist, that is some serious stuff, really digging the hair.

MsPaint Lucario is ready to Battle!

As long as Jacob's in ME3 I'm cool, looking forward to seeing what Nintendo's got for us...

global-wolf

Smash Champion
<3 you too Lokii!

Those are some awesome pictures Bren and Joe.

I wish I could take photos like you Tiger. D:

andthere'sgonnabeanewsmashgameomgomgomg

Geist

Smash Master
EEEEKEOVFGJANEFNNFNFNNFGHGHAJHJJHJHGHGJHJG
was my rl response and my internet response at the same time. First time that's ever happened

Geist makes artwork that looks more realistic than AC: R.

Anyway, geist, did you ever finish that industrial machine thing piece. I wants it. lol
Oh man i totally forgot about that. I'm further along than the pic that was in my art thread, but I still haven't finished it lol xD

Love that shot with the buildings btw.

Athena21

Smash Ace
NNID
Athena21
3DS FC
4167-5534-2969
Do you guys do awards? Because "Nothing Is Wrong With This Photo" should be nominated for photo of the year.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Here's a little somthing:
[collapse="Blender Action"]
[/collapse]
I would finish this if rigging wasn't such a pain and I wasn't such a noob at it.
And yay for "Smash-U" also.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

This is my first attempt at colouring in something digitally via Photoshop.
It's not finished yet obviously, but it's meant to be Lazarevic from Uncharted 2.

I know I should be adding more very dark if not black patches of shadow, but I always chicken out and think it looks wrong even though I know it should be there >_>.

And if the above is made with blender then congrats, I can't use that to save my life XD.

Geist

Smash Master
Awww that's so cute. I can't even imagine how you did that. Also, what is "rigging?"
Rigging is building and joining a skeleton as well as setting up keys for simple animations. It's one of the more tedious parts of modelling.
I know I should be adding more very dark if not black patches of shadow, but I always chicken out and think it looks wrong even though I know it should be there >_>.
looking nice so far man
sometimes you just have to keep on trucking though, a lot of times something that's right will look wrong simply because it's not finished. If it doesn't look better no matter what you do, move on to the next part, and odds are it'll all work itself out

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Anyone who thinks digital paintings have a generic feel? Noticed a lot of fans on this board.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
What digital paintings have you been looking at?

There's many that I've seen that gave off a delicious acrylic paint like stylized feel.

And to pull something like that off in photoshop takes great sense of not just color theory, but how paint flow with a brush strokes.

Geist

Smash Master
No I love digital painting. The great thing about it is that it's so easy to pick up and use, but it's so hard to master. One of the reasons you might think they have a more generic feel is because the techniques mostly used in the industry exist to make relatively fast pieces of artwork efficiently. In my opinion, the mass production qualities that a digital painting has allows for a filter of artistic and creative thought, rather than having technique as the primary boundary for an aesthetically pleasing piece of art. Technique is still important, but when dealing with digital art's primary audience and medium (industry professionals using it as for quick visualization/ concept artwork) it's less important to get a message across as it is to make a tangible representation of an idea, and do so as fast and as affordable as possible.

Of course whether or not you like what the end result looks like is personal taste. Personally, I can say I absolutely love the look of transparent layering, quick rough brush strokes and implied details. I also really enjoy airbrushing too, and the techniques and look behind both mediums are similar in a lot of regards.
You always have to keep in mind that digital can masquerade as any other medium as well, it's much more versatile than anything else. Only the people who are more experienced can really push the limits of that though. I should find this one artist who immitated watercolor paintings and india inks with digital, it was really cool.

tl;dr digital is a pretty cool guy

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Maybe everything I've seen is (fast) illustration stuff.
But does anyone have examples of high art digital painting?

(The guy imitating watercolour doesn't really sound what I'm looking for, more someone who would use it for what it is.)

Geist

Smash Master
I'd consider this a high quality painting ;D

These are done digitally and are considered 'fine art' by definition

And these are examples of high quality concept work.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
DANG YOU BREN. DANG YOUUUUUUUUUUU

Also, Jimneybob, that looks sick! Can't wait to see the finished picture!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's summer, and you know what that means . . .

Summer***s.

Brace yourselves, /ae/, because We're gonna get a rush like never before and see a decline by august.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
I'd consider this a high quality painting ;D

These are done digitally and are considered 'fine art' by definition

And these are examples of high quality concept work.

I think it's the concept of a computer desperately trying to imitate a paintbrush/pen/camera/etc, that does it.
Was thinking about this and in a way, stuff like pixel art has more in it, cause it's more really using a new medium, instead of imitating an old medium with a new medium.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Like you said, it's simply a different medium.

And as such, its potential is only limited to how you view its capabilities. The possibilities begin and end with the artist.

Geist

Smash Master
Try not to see digital as trying to imitate. It's mostly a tool that's utilized for its efficiency, and the reason it's utilized as such is because it has the capability to appear like any other medium, should the need arise. But the look that you typically see digital art having is always recognizable as being digital, it never really calls for a second guess.
But since you already mentioned you don't like the aesthetics of that, I won't debate personal tastes, that's just fruitless and inconsiderate. I will argue its merits though lol

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Nah maybe I sound too negative, but a lot of digital painting stuff looks cool.

But I was thinking about the subject ehhrrr.. art with a capital A
(that's what we would say in Dutch: "kunst with a capital 'K'". I don't know if the English word for 'art' is used as exclusive as the Dutch word for art).

Geist

Smash Master
The english word for art is so ambiguous i don't even want to get into that.
tl;dr if it has the capacity to be called art, it's art.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Digital art gets to me mainly cause I suck at using art programs. All the buttons, strokes, layer, and modifying makes my head spin. I grew up on imitating my friends who draw better than me, trying to eye cartoon shows, and 1 or 2 books that a friend gave me. All I used was a pencil and eraser so my experience is zilch with digital stuff. Also, I get really really jealous of the skill people have XD No lie, the stuff people can create is outright sexy.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I LOVE ALL OF YOU
(It's 3am and I have been consistently staying up this late and waking up EARLY)

And moar newcomers? Welcomewelcome <3

Geist

Smash Master
<3 Alyssa

Staying up late working sucks doesn't it :[
at least we can both suffer with the knowledge that we're in this togetha.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Whenever I hear "digital art", I imagine crap like this:

Top Bottom