• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Geist

Smash Master
There needs to be a really good drawing program where you can link up with a group of people
one that doesn't suck

I'd pay x amount of money for that

Geist

Smash Master
I'm not a programmer and that sounds really complicated
hey didn't you say on your livestream that you were going to bed :v

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yehh :3 I'm on my phone
Boyfriend decided to text me riiiight as I was gonna go sleep....so now I'm like 'yaaaaay energy to talkkkkk'
u . u;;;

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Here is a very crude version of one of the lizards under "King Claw's" control. I've decided to do all lizards legs like this. It's similar to what I did on the very old drawing of mine called "Lizard Soldier".

The Gecko Fighter is less of a combat soldier and more of an enforcer or something. He's got a boxing glove on his tail because he's based on something from a dream I had. Thought the one in the dream didn't have dreadlocks. Not sure why I added those, but I'm keeping it. Gives him something different from the other lizard types

Geist

Smash Master
that's a good stylistic idea on the legs, but I'd recommend 2 things -

one, imo you should make a similar stylistic push on the rest of your design, or else the contrast of line quality/simplicity/ anatomy of your character is going to become quite noticable. For instance, the arm and torso muscles are much more defined and much less stylized than the more caricatured thin ankles big feet look

two, your sweeping rhythmic lines to make the legs are the correct approach, but you should consider drawing one side of the leg/calf with a straight line and the other side curved, as having both sides of the leg bowed like that actually decreases the action of the line.
If you don't know which side to draw straight and rigid, a good rule of thumb is to draw the bonier parts of the leg straighter, as well as parts that are holding the weight of your pose, so for this it would be the shin below the knee and the line from the butt to the back of the knee.

For totally brilliant reference check out these guys. They have some of the coolest stretched and warped proportions, and their posing and silhouetting is outrageously good. It's pretty much a treasure trove of knowledge in drawing form.
http://creaturebox.com/

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, from that link I saw what you meant by that.

I actually really like that art, it's pretty close to stuff I've wanted to do

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Something I really wanted to draw since I saw the movie the day after it came out and now that I have a tablet that I want to break into...
[COLLAPSE=""The Most Adorable Winner" Sketch and Color"]
[/COLLAPSE]

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Here is a slightly less sketchy version of the above posted thing of mine.

I followed some of the advice, though I know I didn't change the legs. I'll try that in a different picture

Geist

Smash Master
Something I really wanted to draw since I saw the movie the day after it came out and now that I have a tablet that I want to break into...
[COLLAPSE=""The Most Adorable Winner" Sketch and Color"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Wreck it ralph was such a good movie (though the short animation paperman that came before it blew my mind as much if not more than the whole movie)

I see a semblance of guidelines drawn out but it might help you if you imagine them in more of a 3-dimensional space rather than just for dividing up a surface. Cartoony characters that are designed for 3d movies generally have a more strict approach to 3d form and very often have more practical designs and features than a character that will only exist in 2d, so it's probably a good idea to draw more 3d characters. It's a really good exercise for learning to draw volume.

Here is a slightly less sketchy version of the above posted thing of mine.

I followed some of the advice, though I know I didn't change the legs. I'll try that in a different picture

Better
watch your perspective, the imaginary ground plane he's standing on is crooked
and I think it's worth drawing a second arm if you're drawing a second leg
try drawing through the figure and create more overlaps, it'll help define shape much better than an outline will. The kind of overlapping lines you used on the arms to the pectorals can be used to better define the hips and waist

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Paperman is good tears.

Imagine guidelines in a 3-D space than positioning, I see. True I have rarely worked on drawing from a 3-D source, but it's quite the fun challenge for something I'd struggled on in the past, but thanks. I'll probably jump between something still life and then another 3-D rendered character to draw.

Geist

Smash Master
Paperman is good tears.

Imagine guidelines in a 3-D space than positioning, I see. True I have rarely worked on drawing from a 3-D source, but it's quite the fun challenge for something I'd struggled on in the past, but thanks. I'll probably jump between something still life and then another 3-D rendered character to draw.
Check out the works of Glen Keane, one of the greatest animators ever to practice the art. His drawing style is more or less the entire look of disney and his techniques are very grounded in the realms of real life anatomy and structure/form.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nB4Uh2Bl6...t_character_design_rapunzel_03_glen_keane.jpg

I'd study the crap out of his stuff, because his work is like an encyclopedia in the form of drawings

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Check out the works of Glen Keane, one of the greatest animators ever to practice the art. His drawing style is more or less the entire look of disney and his techniques are very grounded in the realms of real life anatomy and structure/form.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nB4Uh2Bl6...t_character_design_rapunzel_03_glen_keane.jpg

I'd study the crap out of his stuff, because his work is like an encyclopedia in the form of drawings
I have the Art of Tangled book and it's filled with great stuff just like that, from Glen Keane

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'll tell y'all, I have been working on engagement photos for a friends of mine.

I am quite happy with them.

I am unsure whether I'd like to post them here, though. :x

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
So I got a drawing tablet called Bamboo capture.

I got this since you guys had a previous discussion regarding bamboo of course, but is the product good or whatnot? Are there other suggestions too?

Geist

Smash Master
bamboo is pretty much the best entry level tablet imo
I don't know the differences in the newer bamboo models since I've been using an intuos for a while now, but wacom tablets are the most common tablet, professional or otherwise.
my favorite tablet at the moment is the intuos 5, mostly because its surface has a really paper-like friction to it and it has a bunch of fancy gadgets that come along with it. That one's also by wacom.

I've heard a popular alternate to wacom are the genius tablet but I think it's a bit older now

they all do the same thing so it mostly matters what you're personally using it for

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Well I am taking game art, so I would prefer a bigger tablet, lol. A classmate of mines has a Bamboo Create, which is bigger than mines and something I was aiming for, so I will get that one in a few days.

I'm gonna go ahead and look into the intuos.

The cintiq looks very exciting though.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
According to the Wacom website Bamboo Capture is good for editing photos.
My cousin got Bamboo Fun a long time ago and my envious hands never got to try it.

When I asked the other artists in our xat, they told me I'm better off getting an Intuos than a Bamboo for drawing. So the time you saw my stream, I was testing* the Intuos4 I* just got.

So in the end, I can't really compare the two, but I like spin-wheel convenience of my tablet. But I think you should be fine with the tablet. Not like the features define what the user is capable of.

Since you're an iPad user, try out Wacom's Bamboo Paper app for it. Dunno how it fares since I don't have a Bamboo Pen per se.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Depends how big or small your draw.
I'm accustomed to drawing fairly small on a sketchbook so a Small or Medium suits the sketchbook-sized canvas quite well for me.
That and I like the ease of portability to bring with my laptop.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
With the tablets not named Cintiq, bigger isn't necessarily better. I have a 6x8 Intuos 3 (I think all the Intuos4s and 5s are widescreen format) and it has been the perfect size for me. The 9x6 is probably ideal—I think larger tablets might actually be uncomfortable since your hand needs to cover a wider area whilst not looking at it, at least that's how I think of it

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Cintiqs are beautiful

Gonna get one after college
And after I build a nice computer

I have a medium Intuos4
It's aaaaaaawesome

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
If I get a cintique I'm going all out and getting the desk sized one, and then I'll laugh at all you and your peasant tablets

Top Bottom