• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #12 - Cheapest Character?

Cheapest Character?

• Doctor Mario

Votes: 8 0.6%
  • Mario

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Luigi

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Bowser

• Peach

Votes: 199 15.7%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Donkey Kong

• Captain Falcon

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 9 0.7%
  • Falco

Votes: 86 6.8%
  • Fox

Votes: 134 10.6%
  • Ness

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • Ice Climbers

Votes: 52 4.1%
  • Kirby

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Samus

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • Zelda

• Sheik

Votes: 325 25.7%
  • Link

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • Young Link

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Pichu

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • Pikachu

• Jigglypuff

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • Mewtwo

• Mr. Game & Watch

Votes: 9 0.7%
  • Marth

Votes: 276 21.8%
  • Roy

Votes: 13 1.0%

• Total voters

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I have to say Peach, and though it can be avoided I'm going purely by her freakin' down smash I mean honestly... one mistake, get caught in that = immense pain for your character. And not too mention her floating can be rather annoying lol... but yeah I am going to vote for Peach, purely because I have been the victim of a lot of cheap hits from her at my friend's hand.

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Peach= Recovery, DSmash
IC= 2 on 1 competition, powerful moves, killing FSmash
Shiek= not that much combos, easily spammed moves

and any other character who has easily spammed moves

Echo

Smash Champion
I must say it was a hard choice for me between:
Fox
Falco
and Marth...

but I put the vote down for Falco. His lasers will shut down any approach that you were about to use, while approaching you. He can take control of a matchup simply with lasers and dairs, and not to mention his ability to combo with shines.

Whirlwind

Smash Rookie
Personally, I think that all the female characters are overpowere, but I digress. Peach has to be the most cheap character. It takes a tiny bit of skill to know how to use her, but she is annoyance in its purest form. She has the b attack toad to block for her, that $#@$ floating ability and umbrella that makes her hard to get rid of, or even damage, and to top it all off, all her smash attacks are devastating, and availble at the tap of a c-stick.

Thats girl power in the worst way.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Peach= Recovery, DSmash
IC= 2 on 1 competition, powerful moves, killing FSmash
Shiek= not that much combos, easily spammed moves

and any other character who has easily spammed moves
Too true, man the IC can be cheap sometimes. Easily spammed moves means a fair few characters though, C-stickers who use Marth... they annoy the hell out of me.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I have to go with Peach here. While Fox's shine is quite pesky, Peach is just too much. Her downsmash pretty much has the potential to be a 50% combo on its own, she can jab Fox before he can shine from a drill kick, she can chainthrow space animals like holy ****, she just won't ****ing die, her butt has insane priority, she has float cancelling, her nair is quick and kills, she has annoying projectiles, her umbrella is pesky, she can pull Toad out of her panties, and to top it all off they even gave her those god **** power turnips and even let her pull out items. I think it's funny though cause G&W can't drop food if items are off, but Peach can pull out Mr. Saturn, a beam sword, and a bob-omb. Hmmm.... :dizzy:

REØ

Smash Lord
I have to go with Peach here. While Fox's shine is quite pesky, Peach is just too much. Her downsmash pretty much has the potential to be a 50% combo on its own, she can jab Fox before he can shine from a drill kick, she can chainthrow space animals like holy ****, she just won't ****ing die, her butt has insane priority, she has float cancelling, her nair is quick and kills, she has annoying projectiles, her umbrella is pesky, she can pull Toad out of her panties, and to top it all off they even gave her those god **** power turnips and even let her pull out items. I think it's funny though cause G&W can't drop food if items are off, but Peach can pull out Mr. Saturn, a beam sword, and a bob-omb. Hmmm.... :dizzy:

LOLOL that made me laugh so hard

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Well I'm now glad that I know where she pulls Toad from, but I agree with everything you just said... she is an annoying and sometimes cheap character, thing is... she still gets ignored by new players sometimes lol.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to make a broken record out of this thread: Sheik. That **** thing has dodgeroll ectasy. Chain grabs to oblivion. And pretty much anything can be called a combo with Sheik. A person could literally sit on their controller and mush their *** on the buttons, to end up with a opponent in the air at high % and end it all with a fair.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Well I'm now glad that I know where she pulls Toad from, but I agree with everything you just said... she is an annoying and sometimes cheap character, thing is... she still gets ignored by new players sometimes lol.
Haha, one doesn't really understand the gayness of Peach until one plays a good Peach, lol.

Kenuru

Smash Rookie
The people I've only lost to are the people who I think are cheap, namely Marth (2 of them), a Ness (who've mastered light-jumping and wave-dashing like crazy), and a Fox (ditto with the light-jumping and wave-dashing). Marth - SPEED and RANGE! OMG, my characters have none compared to THAT beating stick. Fox - SPEED and SHINE! Ugh, it's foolproof until he misses.

Alberick

Smash Apprentice
Roy cheap ?, who voted for him... i dont think so

i fu***** hate peach so i voted for her, down smash its enought to make me vote for her, u cant crouch cancel against her.

Gran Smasher

Smash Journeyman
You all are pretty funny

A person could literally sit on their controller and mush their *** on the buttons, to end up with a opponent in the air at high % and end it all with a fair.
This thread starts to look like a comedian contest. That *** mushing thing was hillarious.....
but I main Sheik so I didn't like it..... still, it's too funny!

Gran Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Make things clearer

I think its interesting that the higher tier the character is the more "cheap" they become.

Cheap is for people that dont understand their opponent. A character may be easier to play but not cheap.

Well! I thought I knew what does cheap means but this guy totally altered my way of thinking!

"A character may be easier to play but not cheap".... ? I tought that the easier a character can be played, the cheaper it is!
I understand cheap like "one can easily win with that character without doing too much!". Isn't that right? If it isn't, what makes a character cheap then?

Gran Smasher

Smash Journeyman
No!

I seriously hate Sheiks and Samus'.
Sheik-broken,the tilts,priority,speed
Samus-dsmash,missiles edgeguard,ridiculous recovery.Samus may not seem the most cheap,but she has a very high potential of being played cheaply.
Peach as well of course.Her priority is absurdly unfair and thats pretty cheap.I dont hate peaches though,a knee sorts them out pretty quickly.
To some extent I'd agree with Ken about the IC's.They CAN chaingrab everyone and when together I find them overpowered.but it isnt easy to play with just one climber and as long as it isnt chu its not that hard to separate them.
Every character has some advantages! Some more than others, I know, but all they do have advantages. If having a powerful move like Marth's tipper, Falco's Dair etc, is what makes a character cheap, then every **** character is cheap. Totally nonsense! I quoted this guy almost randomly but a lot of people here is posting things like that!
I think that what makes a character cheap, is having a powerful move(or more than one) that is so very easy to do, and consequently, so very easy to use! Like Peach's D-Smash, that's why I voted her! Not because I have troubles with Peach players! Look, I have troubles with Fox players, but that is not enough reason to say Fox is cheap! It has nothing to do with cheapness!
A lot of people here is saying things like "I hate Samus, or Sheik, or whatever! Becuse that character kicks my ***!". This poll is not about who kicks your ***! It's about who is cheap, and it has nothing to do with advantages between characters. I think every unexperienced player (I mean players that barely know what wavedash means or so) has troubles with a random character, maybe the one his cousin has just learned to play! And that is the reason why every character has incorrectly voted at least once!

iankobe

Smash Lord
It really depends on how people play with the charater...
for example like Peach. If the player spams Dsmash then thats just Cheap. But there are Peaches that do not Dsmash as much. SO it really depends on how you see it.

Gran Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Sounds right but....

It really depends on how people play with the charater...
for example like Peach. If the player spams Dsmash then thats just Cheap. But there are Peaches that do not Dsmash as much. SO it really depends on how you see it.
A character is cheap if it has at least one cheap move (a move that is so very easy to pull and so very powerful)
However, if a player doesn't use much his character's cheap move (if it has one), it doesn't means that the character is not cheap, it just means that the PLAYER doesn't play cheap, but the character, by nature, stills cheap

BlueSamus

Smash Cadet
Definitively Jiggly!

I think Jigglypuff is the cheapest. She can stay floating forever and ever in the air just by doing Forward+B. You can just take 1 stock from your opponent and then, stay floating (as long as it is a stock time match that is). Talk about cheap victory!

Metà

Smash Master
I think it's funny though cause G&W can't drop food if items are off, but Peach can pull out Mr. Saturn, a beam sword, and a bob-omb. Hmmm.... :dizzy:
Y'know, I never thought about it that way... It would be awesome if G&W could create food when items were off, because then while the opponent is dead, he could repeatedly smash-b until food appears, much like how Peach players continually throw turnips into the air, hoping to get a bob-omb or stitchface.

BabyBeePLU

Smash Rookie
i was quick to vote for sheik, but i tell ya peach's dsmash almost gives me the impetus to make a time machine and then alter my vote accordingly

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
A character is cheap if it has at least one cheap move (a move that is so very easy to pull and so very powerful)
I remember I was looking at the posts in this forum and there was one post by SephirothKen who mentioned that the ICs are cheap - I agree with him. By the way I do have the ICs as a tertiary character.

ICs have BEST grab game in SSBM. If you can get the hang of it (pretty easy to do) you can deal up to like 50% damage on any character with the headbutt blizzard grab combo. They also can finish off an opponent very easily compared to other characters and that's the forward c-stick attack. It instantly throws the opponent far off the screen if they're like damaged enough.

Sheik has the Fair, Marth has the Fsmash and Peach has the Dsmash and insane aerials. She also has the forward throw finisher move. But these characters' cheap moves will not be able to rival the IC's cheap moves as the opponent has virtually no control over trying to avoid the attack. The best they can do is to avoid getting grabbed in the first place.

Sheik's fair can be avoided if the player is smart enough, along with Marth's Fsmash and Peach's Dsmash.

Gran Smasher

Smash Journeyman
An aclaration

Before I posted what I think is the definition of a cheap character. I said
Now I realize there may be some misunderstandings, so, I'm going to make an aclaration:

Every character has a complete set of moves that are easy to use, ALMOST every move is easy to use, and every character has at least one or two moves that you can call "powerfull". What I'm trying to say is that every character have a move that is both, easy to use, and powerful.
Under this circumstances, we have to measure our concepts of "easy" and "powerful" regarding the average. So, I think that there are a lot of factors you have to evaluate to clasify a character as cheap:
The number of cheap moves, how easy to use are those moves and how powerful they are. When subjectivity comes to play, things get very difficult, that's why I said that we have to measure our concepts of "easy" and "powerful" regarding de average, of characters that is.
I voted peach not for the number of easy to pull and powerful moves she has, but for how easy to pull and powerful one of her moves is (her D-Smash) regarding the average of characters. I think one's vote on this subject should not be influenced by how many ***** a character kicks, but by the factors I said before. Like my friend BlueSamus did, he voted Jigglypuff, and though I don´t agree about Jigglypuff being the cheapest, I think he did well by not deciding his vote on the number of victories or tier place of the character he chose. When was the last time Peach or Jiggly won a tournament? I don't know but it doesn't happens often.
I'm not sure of some grammar stuff on this post so, if someone didn't understand, pm me:)

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Why am I in the minority in saying that Link is truly the cheapest charactor in the game? He can give you three projectiles AT ONCE and still have time for THE CHEAPEST MOVE IN THE GAME: Link's shfflc ada. It doesn't even have to be shuffled, Link automatically becomes twice his weight doing it: all that's needed is an L-Cancel, which just about anybody can do. And belive me, with the ridculous priority, speed, slightly disjointed hitbox, power, AND KO potential, performing a suitable counter-measure is ridiculously easier said than done, even for Marth, which I don't see why people say HE'S cheap. (Marth player over here).

A good pro would become invincible with Marth, true, but it takes some serious mind-gaming skills and many other skills to get all the tips just right, to be more random with Marth's moves which in tight situations may trick you into wanting to use the same move over and over again just to get it across, and not be faked into a counter, which is slower than an L-Canceled dair from Link, which anybody can do: with DI, it's all you can do to just avoid it, much less pick up on the appropriate counter-measure beofre you're wailed with projectiles again. Link's defense also far superioritizes Marth's and probably even Roy's.

Cheap means able to be gotten for a low price (in this case, of skill). And as annoying as they are with shines, dshl, and those annoying throw combos, I'll admit that Fox and Falco are NOT cheap in that they do require quite a measure of skill to use all those annoying moves in the first place, only making them ridiculously overpowered, NOT nessacarily "cheap."

I also notice that Peach and Shiek are popular votes, which they may very well be deserving. But remember there is more thank merely one cheap charactor, the cheapest being Link. But COME ON: more people voted for PICHU than Link, which is just ridiculous: Pichu is nowhere NEAR cheap in the amount of skill needed to use properly. Same goes for Jigglypuff: strange as it seems, pulling off Rest is NOT as easy as it looks.

(Pokemaniac Pichu and Jigglypuff player over here, but I'm actually my best with Pikachu, which also requires skill to use: spamming Thunder does NOT count as cheap with all the weak points it has; also, though it gets easy once you're used to it, doing a double Quick Attack accurately can be a pain. Pikachu is my personal best and is nowhere NEAR being cheap: who in servere desperation uses Pikachu in a tourney unless he is seriously thier best?)

Also remember that all TRUE tier lists are only intra-personal.

(I think I'll make that my sig sometime. I'll also probably put a link to my Yellow Mage fanfic there sometime, but no sig messing for me yet. I also better find some good images before I do, anyway.)

Gran Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Looks fine

So it's pretty clear - Sheik is considered, by far, the cheapest character, followed by Marth, then Peach. I think that's a pretty fair decision on the "cheapness" of characters (assuming it exists). Obviously those three are very easy to initially learn - they're the ones you put in the hands of your little brother and say "Here, press this yellow stick different directions".
I think that little brother stuff is a great way to explain it and I agree (through I main Sheik)
but I'm glad you specified INITIALLY (And I hope everyone notice). This issue is more complex than it looks. Every character are more easy to use than others at some point of experience but in the end (and I mean, when you just can't improve anymore (assuming you're a great player that is)), there won't be a great difference between the skill level of a perfect Falco and a perfect Sheik for instance. Both characters get a very hard to imitate playing style, and at the beginning, Sheik was very easy to use and Falco not, but they reached some kind of "same" point in the end.

=Rook=

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say from my experience, that is, with my friends, that Marth is the cheapest. His sword has awesome range and his Fsmash is just crazy, especially sweetspoted.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Why am I in the minority in saying that Link is truly the cheapest charactor in the game? He can give you three projectiles AT ONCE and still have time for THE CHEAPEST MOVE IN THE GAME: Link's shfflc ada. It doesn't even have to be shuffled, Link automatically becomes twice his weight doing it: all that's needed is an L-Cancel, which just about anybody can do. And belive me, with the ridculous priority, speed, slightly disjointed hitbox, power, AND KO potential, performing a suitable counter-measure is ridiculously easier said than done, even for Marth, which I don't see why people say HE'S cheap. (Marth player over here).
You're in the minority because you're wrong. dair is cheap? LOL whos spamming that? seriously who the hell is spamming that? its lag even if l-cancled is god aweful. also speed? link and speed should never be used in the same sentence. lol Link is FAR from cheap. look at my previous posts in this thread to see why. he's far from it.

A good pro would become invincible with Marth, true, but it takes some serious mind-gaming skills and many other skills to get all the tips just right, to be more random with Marth's moves which in tight situations may trick you into wanting to use the same move over and over again just to get it across, and not be faked into a counter, which is slower than an L-Canceled dair from Link, which anybody can do: with DI, it's all you can do to just avoid it, much less pick up on the appropriate counter-measure beofre you're wailed with projectiles again. Link's defense also far superioritizes Marth's and probably even Roy's
No it doesn't marths defense is alot better then links. The perfect defense is to not get hit at all, sadly link gets hit alot. marth can dash dance otu of attacks with easy, his wavedash gives him propor spacing and with the one of the best range and priority in the game its hard to get a hit in when yuo you're self don't have range. Link has 3 projectiles one of which sucks and the other two have no priority if any at all.

Cheap means able to be gotten for a low price (in this case, of skill). And as annoying as they are with shines, dshl, and those annoying throw combos, I'll admit that Fox and Falco are NOT cheap in that they do require quite a measure of skill to use all those annoying moves in the first place, only making them ridiculously overpowered, NOT nessacarily "cheap."
So are you trying to imply that link takes no skill? cause if you are try maining him in a tourny lol.

I also notice that Peach and Shiek are popular votes, which they may very well be deserving. But remember there is more thank merely one cheap charactor, the cheapest being Link. But COME ON: more people voted for PICHU than Link, which is just ridiculous: Pichu is nowhere NEAR cheap in the amount of skill needed to use properly. Same goes for Jigglypuff: strange as it seems, pulling off Rest is NOT as easy as it looks.
Again link isn't the cheapest character in the game, yes link can gay you with a spinspike but. fox/falco can gay you 100x more then link can. Frankly the spinspike is so hard to set up its not even worth the trouble over half the time.

Gran Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Well put

I totally agree with Aiser. Look, I have nothing to do with Link, I main Sheik and Link players has never ever give me trouble. Deciding who is the cheapest is not an easy task, there are so many factors to consider as there are stars in the sky, but I can surely say who is not cheap, and that's Link! Link has a hard time in tourneys. He is slow and while Sheik can make lots of mistakes and still alive, for Link just one mistake means sure death or at least he will suffer a full combo. I have seen pro Links and they surely have to do a LOT of things to stay alive. Quite a few characters can do the same thing over and over again, but just by seeing Link one can notice the lot of possiblities that surely are crossing the Link player's mind.
There is just one right definition of cheap, but some people here are using like a hundred. Regardless the definition of cheap you use, Link isn't cheap! (unless your definition of cheap is "being green")

intheatrium

Smash Rookie
Why am I in the minority in saying that Link is truly the cheapest charactor in the game? He can give you three projectiles AT ONCE and still have time for THE CHEAPEST MOVE IN THE GAME: Link's shfflc ada.

I'll agree with that. Given that Link's character in Zelda revolved heavily around projectiles, I can see the cheapness in 64 or Melee.

Of course, a well placed shine or counter...

Top Bottom