• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #11 - To C-Stick, Or Not To C-Stick, That Is The Question

To C-Stick, Or Not To C-Stick, That Is The Question

• Yes, the C-Stick is an integral part of the game.

Votes: 635 86.6%
  • No, the C-Stick is cheap.

Votes: 98 13.4%

• Total voters

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Rolling C-stickers are so incredibly easy to beat. They don't even make me mad.

The temptation to just use the C-stick is there so people who never get past it will never advance their playing.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
I C-Stick. But only for aerials and smash attacks.
lol this post made me laugh because he said "but only for" like theres more uses to the c-stick O_O (not flaming, ur just a funny guy!), but its so true. i use the c-stick occasionally. i usually switch around from shffling with the A-button and the c-stick. but i definitely use the c-stick for dsmash, except for when i charge it.

edit : oops i forgot that the c-stick does have more uses. like ledge dropping etc. i forgot doh!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
C-stick isn't cheap in anyway. If you roll it around like a ****** then you will get owned by anyone with half a brain. I use it to get out a quick smash and to do aerials without DI.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That is so true. It's only cheap to the victims [althought C-stick spamming isn't the easiest way to win]

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Saying the c-stick is cheap is kinda like saying grabbing with Z is cheap. For both smashes and grabs, you have two options. Smash the control stick and press A or hit the c-stick for smashes.. press R or L and A or press Z to grab. In both cases, the pushing of less buttons is required for the latter option, and yet noone complains about grabbing with Z. Why, then, do people complain about the c-stick? It's not cheap; it's part of the official Nintendo controller. Turbo buttons are worth complaining about, not c-sticks.

With the c-stick, you can throw turnips and bombs at your opponent while still moving away from them. You can reverse shffl knees while keeping your spacing. You can use aerial down A at any time in the air without fast falling, while with the control stick, you'd have to use down A on the way up or at the peak of your jump, otherwise you'd fast fall.

The c-stick opens up so many other options, I personally think someone would be stupid not to implement it into their game. I use the control stick + A or the c-stick, depending on the situation.

WhyBooger???

Smash Cadet
WEll I Use The C-Stick Now But I Used 2 Hate It,Now Its The Way 2 Smash Kuz Almost Every One Uses It So I Wouldnt Call It Cheap.....Yadadadigg

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Meh without the c-stick you lack control over your DI while you do your aerials. A good example would be trying to do falcons stomp to spike someone off the edge without fast falling, would be very hard to do without the c-stick.

Anyone who voted for ''the c-stick is cheap'' needs their head checked O.o

I c-stick ALL my aerials and all my smashes (unless I want to charge one up, or do a crouch cancelled downsmash)

The only exception (for me) is pillaring with falco, A and B are closer than the c-stick and B and fast falling isn't an issue, its necessary so I use the controlsick and A for the shffled dair and then im right next to B for the shine, rinse and repeat.

Fire Fox X

Smash Apprentice
The C-Stick is a part of the game. -_-' Like ^ says; whoever says 'The C-stick is cheap' needs to get some help. I personally use A for my smashes on the ground, and use the C-stick for air. I'm just comfortable that way, it might not be the very effective way, but thats just how I do it.

FSLMJM

Smash Journeyman
The C-Stick isn't cheap because it can be used in strategy and it is effective.

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
There was no middle ground, so I had to vote for "No". Do I think that it's cheap? No; that's like saying jumping is cheap. Is the C-stick one of the most important tools to a complete game? Losing it doesn't take away any of your actual moves, but it will have an impact on the mental side of things.

Description aside, why did I say "No"? I'm actually surprised that Nintendo didn't get sued for having that C-stick there yet (but I've never checked --- so little time). It's completely inaccessible to a lot of players who don't have much dexterity, and if I were to force users to use something like that on a website, I could be in jail for breaking the law.

Realistically, it's not SSBM's fault that some parts of the controller suck. But, the C-stick should be there only for expert players, not for beginners who just want to brag about an AI flaw. This is really something that should require an option that can turn if off, especially if they want to implement an online feature in Brawl. You can't force users to use the C-stick --- that's 100% illegal.

Edit: I'm not a legal person; I'm only a usability tester for websites where people are my #1 goal.

Metaknight Alpha

Smash Rookie
sorry ppl, but I would never degrade myself to C-sticking:ohwell:

but that doesn't mean that it's bad or anything...

If it feels more natural, then by all means, go and C-stick!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
sorry ppl, but I would never degrade myself to C-sticking:ohwell:

but that doesn't mean that it's bad or anything...

If it feels more natural, then by all means, go and C-stick!
LOL. YOU'RE BEING CONDENSCENDING?!?!??! :laugh: :laugh:

Just wow. You're 4 stock bait.

Dude. If you don't use the c-stick for your aerials, you cant use directional input with the control stick while choosing and attack with the c-stick. Therefore many things like

NOT FAST FALLING YOUR SPIKE ATTACKS

become almost impossible. Not to mention reverse knees with falcon, or any other number of reversed moves.

If you don't use the c-stick, there are some techniques you just plain can't do.

The only level the c-stick is considered cheap at is when noobs get together to play and have fun, and then one of them picks marth and starts spamming forward smashes with the c-stick and going LOLOLOLOLOL.

Otherwise, the c-stick is a useful part of your controller that opens you up to aerial strategies that would otherwise be impossible.

So you would never ''degrade yourself'' into learning the more complicated techniques associated with melee's aerial combat system. Good job! You must feel so great to be so much better than the rest of us, with our pathetic techniques that you see in almost every professional melee matchup.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
C-sticking make l-canceling a lot easier, thats why playing 1-player classic r adventure is hard, you cant use the c-stick!. However, i dont think they intended it to help you but just some other way to do the same moves.

But why is the C-stick good?

Because it helps you do moves in a direction without moving your character there, it helps a lot for spiking. Try getiting good with CF without C-sticking, its pretty hard-:dizzy:

Tera253

Smash Ace
there is no flippin' contest. the C-stick is for pwning n00bs. and, what kind of dimwitted pro charges smashes? they'd got wavedash-comboed into oblivion by their opponenet if they tried that.
~Tera253~

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
I use both, depending on which is more conveniant at the time...
I use the C-stick when I need something fast or I feel like it.
I use the A-button when I know they won't dodge or there needs more power or I feel like it.
I use both at a 50-50 ratio almost. So yes, C-stick is useful...

What is wrong with Nintendo Power? If you read the article about it, they say very rude things about it...

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
I use the C-Stick only for the Walk and Backsmash-Mindgame and sometimes for SDI.
imo c-sticking isnt cheap

Lunytunes4.4

Smash Journeyman
personally i dont use it i see no diffrence in using the c-stick and the original controls but i hate c-stick spammers who just c-stick all day with one move that s*** gets annoying

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
My use the c-stick depent on the char I use like fox- run away to mindgame a happy revovering falco for a dashcancel into a f smash in the opossite direction or with CF,doc,mario with their up air juggling or with fox or falco the up air at the last second before touching the ground....for the smash out of a WD a dair in edgegard without the fear of a SD with a Fast fall...CCC smash.Runing down smash .....etc many use but

Lanytunes when you says you hate the c stick spammer get yourself some mindgame and do some fakeout and pushish them after with a Happy smash!!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
If you think using the C-stick is cheap, you're a scrub. Don't dress it up, if you use it, you use it. I use it and it doesn't make me win every match so the 91 scrubs that said it's cheap need to go die. Kbaithx

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
It's the same as any other advanced technique, like wavedashing. Don't gripe about people who use it, n00bs. Learn to use it yourself. "Learning it will bring more rewards than shunning it." -AlphaZealot (though referring to wavedashing.)

Waning Light

Smash Rookie
C-stick.

I don't rely on it very heavily, but it comes in handy sometimes, and you've gotta be able to use it right for it to really be worth it, so I feel like that's just part of the player's skill set.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
You can't put it any simpler than is already stated in one of the choices of this poll: The c-stick is an integral part of the game. As we've have always said, anything that is programmed into the game, is fair game. We can no more complain about the c-stick than we can complain about wavedashing, or l-canceling.

Furthermore, I use the both c-stick and the button combo (--> + A) in different situations. for example, I only charge a smash when I know i have time, when edge-guarding, or when jiggs misses a rest. In all other situations i use the c-stick because it minimalizes the time required to do a smash attack. Therefore, in this respect, you could almost consider the c-stick vs. the button combo to be two different moves entirely.

p.s. i know this poll is a little out of date now, but I just found it so I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

PS4Lthekingofsmash

Smash Rookie
I dislike people that say it (the c-stick) was made for "begginers"
The game was originally intended for a younger audience and not the advanced set of skilled people we have today. The creators did not put it in for newbs/n00bs because they expected everyone to play as we now call newbs or n00bs (different defenitions).

C-sticking is a big part advanced game play. Peach players and Link/YL players use it a lot for their down smashes. A lot of Falco players use it for the dair to avoid Fast falling. Personnaly, I couldn't do the Marth Shuffl with a double fair without using the C-Stick for the second one.

There is nothing wrong with the C-stick. Many people just want to hate it for whatever excuse.

Just my point of view. You can have your own,
PS4L

Top Bottom