• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - Most important matchup to learn

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello -Insert Character Board Here-,

I'm conducting a character-wide poll about each character's most important matchup. This is simply out of curiosity of the current metagame and every person's stance on their character.

Each person get's 1 vote, regardless of character board, your first vote will be the only one counted. So please only vote for your main character. Make's my life easier if I'm not having to triple-check everyone.

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

You can vote now if you wish, and if you cannot find this topic in your main's board. Please wait as I must wait 30 seconds between each thread to post a topic. I am going in alphabetical order and I will reach your main eventually.

Thank you.

SuSa.

EDIT:

Splice - Meta Knight
Alphicans - Snake
Mr. Escalator - Meta Knight
PentaSalia - Snake
A2ZOMG - Snake
Lifes - Olimar
2-DJeff - Diddy
overgamer - Snake

Splice

Smash Hero
If by vote you meant post in this thread? I'm not sure if you meant there was somewhere else to vote;

I vote MK as the most important MU for GaW to learn; Not only because he is a common S tier, but also I think he forces GaW players to tighten up the game more than others characters, I mean Snake is common and difficult but the MU you learn against him doesn't apply as generally for GaW in as many MUs as the way you may learn to play by vsing MKs. I also believe against MK you can learn Aggressive or Defensive, and even use your ground game somewhat, and that it forces you to use platforms very well, all important things, and I think MK forces you to learn these things best. Plus it's a pretty useful MU to learn for easy to guess reasons

I don't think this is GaWs most difficult MU though; Personally I think Marth is harder-

VOTE: The Metaknight Match-Up is the most important Match-Up for Game and Watch players to learn.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I vote diddy/snake. I think MK is pretty easy to learn, but diddy and snake are much harder in comparison. For MK the way to play is obvious, but with those other characters it's much more tactical and a different sort of defensive.

For the sake of picking one character I vote snake, because he is more common than diddy.

Lol, my reasoning is like the opposite of Splice's.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Meta Knight

The most important matchup for a character to learn is going to be one of two things:
1. The character's most difficult matchup.
2. The most common tournament character.

This stands true for pretty much any fighting game, and the two tend to coincide. When they don't overlap, you pick the former if it's a REALLY bad matchup/easy counterpick (DK vs D3), or you pick the latter if your worst isn't that bad. If you do good against the most common guy, it could go either way. There's some wiggle room, of course; the most prevalent character might only be very slightly more common than the next up.

In our case, though, it's clear cut. For Game & Watch, MK is simply the best character to know how to fight. Bad matchup + by far the most common character = my vote (and it should be what most G&W players say, tbh)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I think Snake is one of those match ups that really tests your abilities as a G&W player lol.
You're forced to always place safe, avoid projectiles, and to really think about your approaches/baiting.
You also need to know how to juggle properly and most importantly,how to land those kills.

One mistake =30%+ or death as we all know lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm with Penta on Snake being the most important matchup to learn. How well you do vs Snake really tests how well you know your own character.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I really think Snake is less important than Diddy to know how to face, let alone Meta Knight. Think about it; the things you learn fighting him just aren't as applicable to other characters as several of MK's things. Dodging projectiles? He only helps you moderately with item based projectiles, and Diddy teaches how to handle them better. Juggling Snake is no hard feat, either, and you could practically take your juggling of MK and apply it to Snake and be pretty effective (Uair, Nairs, baited airdodges -> Usmash). It's not even that hard to approach him compared to MK/Marth/Diddy, so you can definitely do better on that front.

Granted, fighting him is a great way to practice ****** characters offstage as well as getting your planking perfected, I won't deny that.

However, MK just offers so much more; He has a more difficult recovery to beat so if you beat it you can likely punish most other character's, his UpB OoS stuffs Turtle not spaced/retreating so it's definitely useful in learning the perfect spacing, his aerial mobility isn't that great horizontally so you can practice juggling when you finally get him above you, approaching him is a huge pain so it's beyond useful to learn the mixups and fake outs that get you in, and he can actually pressure you somewhat offstage so that you have to learn to properly recover. I mean, Meta Knight being the best character at several fields just means it's so easy to point out things you can learn from fighting him. I didn't even have to mention things like he teaches you not to Dair a grounded opponent or that he has several moves that test your ability to SDI in combat.

While Snake is definitely a guy I think G&W mains should know how to fight, Meta Knight just offers so much more in terms of the skills you learn being applicable to the rest of the cast. Not to mention, he's the most common dude you will be fighting at tournaments bar none.

Lifes

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lifes14
(Hi every G&W players^^)

In my situation I will vote for Olimar because this is my most difficult MatchUp (I can't win at all vs a good one)

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I'd say... hum... very difficult choice but...

Most important, huh... Let's say Snake

(Hi every G&W players^^)

In my situation I will vote for Olimar because this is my most difficult MatchUp (I can't win at all vs a good one)
Hello and welcome. Feel free to post in the social thread, not much activity there.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i think people aren't understanding the question. It's not asking what you think the most difficult match up is or what MU's you have trouble with. If that were the case,that yes,the answer would be Marth/olimar/ics/personal match up problems. It's asking which match up is most important to learn as a G&W player to improve and learn how to play the character correctly. Just keep that in mind.

Personally im still sticking to my answer that snake is the most important MU to learn. Just look back at 08,where G&Wers had such a hard time fighting a character like snake that they would drop him lol. IMO,it's one of his most hardest match ups to learn when picking up G&W.t I'm not saying MK or diddy aren't as bad but G&W players back then and even now still have more snake problems. At least from what i hear lol.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Actually, Penta, SuSa only said most important matchup to learn. He never said anything to suggest "most important to learn as a G&W player to improve and learn how to play the character correctly". That's your inference.

I took the question as "Most important matchup to learn if you want to succeed at competitive Brawl (what is the most important tournament matchup to learn)". Neither of us are necessarily wrong. Going by your inference, I think MK teaches and helps G&W improve nearly as much, what with perfect spacing/mixups/reads being so important in the matchup (and at high levels, you NEED to be on spot with all of those). Going by my inference, Meta Knight just seems hands down the better vote. Snake is definitely the harder one at lower levels of play, and in many ways a barrier most G&W players need to get past. I agree there.

We're both technically right to assume both ways. What matters is what SuSa was looking for. Perhaps he can clarify when he name searches. I might toss my vote over to Snake depending on what he wants to look for, but MK is a compelling vote no matter what.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Snake is definitely the harder one at lower levels of play, and in many ways a barrier most G&W players need to get past.
I agree with Mr. Escalator on that, and on the MK MU. I have to vote for Snake though, because learning that MU taught me the importance of being very very careful with your moves. Once you get that in mind, the MK MU comes a lot quicker, and then the rest of the cast.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly the problem with the MK matchup is that how well you do is really just a question of how much you're outplaying them. It's not really a question of how well you know your character and basic and technical things that you need to know that work in general.

Spacing against Snake is something that is technically possible to do safely, but requires a bigger learning curve and better spacial awareness since you have to keep track of not just his tilt range, but his explosives. Given that proper spacing is key to a successful G&W, learning the matchup against a good Snake is a practical way of learning G&W.

Knowing how to consistently capitalize on followups is standard in all matchups, but especially important against Snake since if you make a slight miscalculation in it, you probably will get punished severely, although at the same time Snake's limited options for getting back in neutral position warrant investing the skill in perfect juggles.

Honestly Snake and Metaknight are both fairly easy for G&W to edgeguard. If you want matchups that REALLY test your knowledge of edgeguarding, Toon Link and Ike are more important in that regard, since they require a different mindset and more proactive tactics to exploit.

To be honest along with Snake, probably the most practical matchup to learn for G&W is in fact Toon Link, which requires you to have good reactions, spacing, and smart consistent edgeguards. Except Toon Link is infinitely less common in tournament.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I believe that Snake is the most important match-up to learn because of his prevalence, difficulty, and application.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Meta Knight. There are more Meta Knights than anything. You're more than likely to run into an MK than any other character. I haven't been to a tournament where I haven't faced an MK and I live in the Midwest where we're highly diverse.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Meta Knight. There are more Meta Knights than anything. You're more than likely to run into an MK than any other character. I haven't been to a tournament where I haven't faced an MK and I live in the Midwest where we're highly diverse.
I don't run into Meta Knight very often, personally.

Splice

Smash Hero
fear of grenade > fear of banana

the problem is you can't even trade hits with snake coz he kills you so much earlier and easier too most of the time.

Still think MK most important ofc

Alphicans

Smash Hero
no trust me x diddy is the hardest.. play gdx or any1 else and u would agree to snake isnt as hard cause ucan actully hit him without having fear of a banana
Both aren't bad, but I'd agree diddy is harder. You can wreck diddy pretty badly with bananas too. Makes killing him a lot easier, really puts that kill potential to great use.

Exdeath

Smash Master
no trust me x diddy is the hardest.. play gdx or any1 else and u would agree to snake isnt as hard cause ucan actully hit him without having fear of a banana
I wasn't saying that Meta Knight is the hardest, but Diddy/Snake really isn't that bad (I haven't decided who I believe is the hardest match-up, although it doesn't really matter). You need to work on your banana control. I think that I can help you with the MU somewhat, although I just started to learn it recently.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
I wasn't saying that Meta Knight is the hardest, but Diddy/Snake really isn't that bad (I haven't decided who I believe is the hardest match-up, although it doesn't really matter). You need to work on your banana control. I think that I can help you with the MU somewhat, although I just started to learn it recently.
nah im ok until i see you beat someone like GDX or higher.. i think snake and MK arent that hard considering the fact i ushally play against you and other MKs.. i hard a friendly withe seibrik also

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Not that much MK in Europe. Much Snake, Marth, Falco. And lot of mid and low Tiers. Been to many tournements where I didn't had to face MKs. It may seems like he's banned but he's not. People just don't prick him for unknown reasons.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
I beat David Dao, does that count?

Anyways its definitely not Diddy lol. diddy is stupid

The most important MU to learn, in my opinion, is ICs because is beats into you that you HAVE to space perfectly and be hella patient. Also when to take adv. of stupid stuff. Like when you hit Nana with Bair. **** that *****.

*Insert wall of text* I don't know, I just play this game, wtf.

Top Bottom