• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Tournament: Current Content Analysis

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Turns out all the hype surrounding the Pokken Fighters announcement was well worth it! Recently, we got a glimpse of several new characters! Joining the already announced Lucario and Machamp, comes Pikachu, Suicune, and Gardevoir! Note that these three characters are the first fighters in Pokken to not be fighting types. Also, we see what appears to be a super move for all of the characters announced thus far. Check out the gameplay in the video below.

Wow! That was super intense! Looks like Harada and the Tekken Team really fleshed out these characters. For instance, Pikachu has this condescending smugness in his victory pose and even some moves from the Mishima family, while Machamp just turns around and nods (remind anyone of a certain Tekken Sumo Wrestler?). Gardevoir retains her grace, Lucario keeps himself in a deep focus, and Suicune exudes it’s pure power. It really seems like each character is getting some flare. Check out the game in action below:

Now to discuss the super moves. The super moves are called “Burst Attacks” for one. Secondly, they are able to be asked after building up meter and entering something called: “Resonance Burst” Mode. It seems like Gardevoir and Lucario both transform into their megas to deliver the final blow of their respective attacks. It also appears that Machamp uses an attack that looks like Earth Power for his Burst Attack. Pikachu (unsurprisingly) uses Volt Tackle, and Suicune uses an interesting ice move.

Also confirmed, was the mechanic of assist Pokemon. These monsters function in a similar to manner to assists in Marvel vs Capcom and Skullgirls. Each player is only allowed two assist Pokemon, and each helps to aid the main fighter in battle. The only confirmed assist Pokemon as of now are: Snivy, Emolga, Lapras, and Fennekin.

Another Mechanic of interest is a guard button. Tekken normally doesn’t have a guard “button”, because all you do in Tekken to block is hold back and/or down. So, this version of blocking is a first in a Tekken-esque game.

The game controls pretty simply. The D-Pad is for movement, the A Button is to attack, B is to jump, X is for a “weak attack”, Y is for a “strong attack”, L to call in the support Pokemon and the D-Pad plus the other buttons for other attacks. It’ll be quite interesting to see how these options work into Pokken’s meta.

Speaking of movement, it seems that the game plays in two different ways. First, there's the long range camera move that allows for smoother movement and a more projectile oriented fight. Secondly, there's the up close and traditional style of 3D Fighters. It appears that knowing when to switch between these two planes will become an important part of the meta.

These additions bring Pokken up to 5 announced characters (with Blaziken being teased in the initial Pokken Tournament teaser). Surprisingly, only two of the announced characters are fighting types, but it seems like Harada is trying to make the roster as diverse as possible with Pokken. Now for a more in-depth view of each of the characters and what is known about them so far.

Lucario
Lucario seems to be the Ryu or Jin of Pokken. He seems fairly balanced with great tools to combo, defend, and attack. It seems clear that Lucario will most likely be the easiest to pick up and learn. Lucario seems to be the middle ground of all the stats.

Machamp
The Four Armed Pokemon is here and ready to throw down! He doesn’t appear to have much in terms of long combos, but he appears to be an absolute powerhouse. With that power, he definitely lacks the speed, so keeping opponents close will most likely be his main game.

Pikachu
How could this guy not make it into Pokken? Well, he’s here now and he’s brought all the volts one would need to kick butt! Now as @ The Derrit The Derrit said, “Pikachu is basically Heihachi with projectiles.” Which is basically true! Pikachu actually has the EWGF (Electric Wind God Fist) which is a common staple of the Mishima family’s combo game in Tekken. Pikachu even has Kazuya’s spin kick! Expect Pikachu to be a fast, combo machine.

Gardevoir
The Embrace Pokemon appears to show her power! Gardevoir seems to be on the slower side, but she seems to be all about keeping her opponents where she wants them. With dazzling psychic bubbles, and blasts of power, Gardevoir is a character that will make one watch their step.

Suicune
The Aurora Pokemon makes a surprising debut as Pokken’s first legendary Pokemon! Suicune seems to be a distance fighter, with long reaching projectiles and attacks. Suicune is the kind of fighter that will try to keep you at a distance and capitalize on it.

Blaziken

Where is he? He was first shown in the teaser for Pokken along with Lucario, but he mysteriously was on hiatus in Pokken Tournament’s first trailer. Was he cut? Is he being fine tuned? Only time will tell.

Plenty of Room to Expand!

Want to talk about the future of Pokken or any of the crazy footage you just saw? Hit me up @ Marthmario Marthmario

Source Used: PokeBeach.com

Last edited:

Soul.

What is it with smash boards and Pokkén? It's not even smash news.
Smashboards has been posting Nintendo news lately, with Smash news being the main focus still. Since Pokémon is a Nintendo franchise, it makes sense to keep the users up to date.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't appear the assists function at all similar to mvc actually. In mvc they were playable characters. Couldn't quite gather what they do in this game. Looks like they function more as power ups?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'm glad you liked my article!
You're welcome! I'm very excited about a fighting Pokémon game. it could change the series. I was just confused why I was posted on a smash site. Thanks to @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen and @ Soul. Soul. for clearing things up.

It doesn't appear the assists function at all similar to mvc actually. In mvc they were playable characters. Couldn't quite gather what they do in this game. Looks like they function more as power ups?
The supports remind me of the support characters from the Naruto Storm series. This entire game somewhat reminds me of it actually.

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
You're welcome! I'm very excited about a fighting Pokémon game. it could change the series. I was just confused why I was posted on a smash site. Thanks to @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen and @ Soul. Soul. for clearing things up.

The supports remind me of the support characters from the Naruto Storm series. This entire game somewhat reminds me of it actually.
It has free movement in the distance, but when you get close, it switches to a 2D fighter view.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I was saying they act like MvC assists, I wasn't saying they were exactly MvC style assists.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
It has free movement in the distance, but when you get close, it switches to a 2D fighter view.
Really? That sounds a lot like Naruto. Are the Burst Attacks initiated with a power meter or button input? If so this game will share a lot of characteristics with Naruto.

Remember guys, if you want to, there's a Pokken Tournament Smashboards group if you haven't joined it already!

http://smashboards.com/social-forums/pokken-tournament-discussion-group.1730/
Sounds cool. I'll go and check it out.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Really? That sounds a lot like Naruto. Are the Burst Attacks initiated with a power meter or button input? If so this game will share a lot of characteristics with Naruto.
You gotta build meter to use it.

Dominus

Smash Rookie
I was saying they act like MvC assists, I wasn't saying they were exactly MvC style assists.
The assist Characters in the original MvC were not playable.

Also, Frogedier and Eevee were confirmed to be assist pokemon.

And I am pretty sure Machamp's Super is Stone Edge and Suicune's Super is Sheer Cold.

There is also a newly confirmed 3rd stage that is some kind of Aquarium.

Last edited:

Dominus

Smash Rookie
Ah. Either way this game looks amazing. Here's hoping for Swampert and Milotic, Deoxys, and Jirachi! Is there any Pokémon you want in Pokkén?
I really would love to see Tyranitar and Sableye. Though random Wild Sableye can be seen in the background of the Volcano Stage.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I really would love to see Tyranitar and Sableye. Though random Wild Sableye can be seen in the background of the Volcano Stage.
I could see those. Tyranitar would be a large powerhouse and Sableye would be a defensive Pokémon with a lot of counters or pokes.

Dominus

Smash Rookie
I could see those. Tyranitar would be a large powerhouse and Sableye would be a defensive Pokémon with a lot of counters or pokes.
I an also see Sableye doing a lot of status ailment shenanigans, like how the cast of Persona 4 Arena do. Like having the ability to burn or reverse controls.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I an also see Sableye doing a lot of status ailment shenanigans, like how the cast of Persona 4 Arena do. Like having the ability to burn or reverse controls.
My god yes. Make that happen. Give it paralyzers, burns, confusion, reflectors, counters. Burn and confusion would act similar to how they do in the main game. Burn halving physical damage while slowly chipping away at the opponents HP. Confusion would mess with controls or makes attacks randomly miss or damage themselves.

Dominus

Smash Rookie
I know that the Emolga assist "paralyzes and diminishes movement speed"

Last edited:

StriderSean

Smash Cadet
NNID
RagnarokSeraph
3DS FC
1332-8232-6969
I wasn't able to really see what Lucario's "Ultra-Attack" was. By the way, what are they calling those?

StriderSean

Smash Cadet
NNID
RagnarokSeraph
3DS FC
1332-8232-6969
I believe they are called 'Burst Attacks".
Okay, gotcha. So, what's Lucario's? I know Pikachu's is Volt Tackle, Machamp's is Close Combat, Gardevoir's is Moonblast/some void-like attack, and Suicune's is Sheer Cold.

Dominus

Smash Rookie
"void Like attack"
I was thinking Shadowball.

as for Lucario's Focus Blast or Superpower?

There is also a pretty solid chance that most of these moves will have made up names.

Last edited:

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
Calling it

<spoiler> Pikachu is top tier</spoiler>

Cause tekken

Yes I know that those aren't spoilers

Henhachi = top tier
Pikachu = Henhachi
Pikachu = top tier

Last edited:

Kymnosk

Smash Cadet
NNID
MutedSound1111
No matter how much I look at it, the art style still bugs me. Why did they go for the realistic approach? Why couldn't they just cell shade it?

The areas and stuff look great but the characters...
This is why anime cosplayers look so silly

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Blaziken is a must, and I'm sure he'll make it.
He's the number one coolest poke of all time after all.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
No matter how much I look at it, the art style still bugs me. Why did they go for the realistic approach? Why couldn't they just cell shade it?

The areas and stuff look great but the characters...
This is why anime cosplayers look so silly
I actually enjoy this art style. It gives the game more life. Cell shading wouldn't have worked as well as this style.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
How long are people gonna keep comparing Pokken to Tekken? The two play absolutely nothing alike. Pokken's Close-Quarters Mode is more relatable to Street Fighter than anything else.

And just for the record, Suicune's Burst Attack is Sheer Cold. In Pokemon games, it's a low-accuracy OHKO move that involves bringing the area's temperature down to completely unlivable conditions.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I can agree with that. it's just that a part of me wonders if if Smashboards is doing this use for the sake of news. Regardless, this is some good stuff.
Because most Smash players are also Nintendo fans, and it makes sense to keep people informed.

Top Bottom