• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Tournament: Current Content Analysis

Signia

Smash Lord
Having watched gameplay footage, this doesn't look like it plays anything like Tekken. It's much closer to DBZ or Naruto games. Make no mistake, this is a 3D anime fighter, not in the same genre as Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, and Dead or Alive.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Machamp is proof that Nintendo learned nothing from Brawldorf. ( I know this isn't made only by Nintendo but still, even Harada got rekt by Suicune using Machamp.)

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Machamp is proof that Nintendo learned nothing from Brawldorf. ( I know this isn't made only by Nintendo but still, even Harada got rekt by Suicune using Machamp.)
It's still beta footage, plus Machamp will probably have a lot of super armor.

HotNTasty

Smash Apprentice
Still hoping for vespiquen. Not confident but hey, a guy can dream.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Pokken = Clash of Ninja

Can't wait for Pokken tourneys.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
While I am not into 3d fighters, this looks like an interesting game. A pokemon fighter that seems to be made with some kind of seriousness instead of this casual Sakurai mindset.
The biggest issue is that there are over 700 Pokemon so a lot of people will be disappointed with their favorite Pokemon not being included.

Dunsparce for Pokken... Please...

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
So...who's gonna be in soon? Mewtwo:mewtwomelee: or Mewtwo:mewtwopm:?

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
What if Zoroark was in it? He could create illusions of himself, with only one being the real Zoroark, kinda like Double team in the anime.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
If Gardevoir is here, I definitely want Gallade in as well.

Gallade is the fighting/psychic Pokemon after all!

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
What if Zoroark was in it? He could create illusions of himself, with only one being the real Zoroark, kinda like Double team in the anime.
Ideally, that would be awesome. My concern is the execution. I don't want Zoroark to be the generic all speed no power type. That wouldn't do Zoroark justice. I also don't want the illusions to be game breaking. There should be some sort of subtle tell. I would like it if Zoroark could temporarily randomize the opponents controls, or a phantom that would attract enemy projectiles.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
No, but it helps to get Machamp in against his opponent.
Of course it helps, but still it's like buffing all a character's attacks slightly instead of buffing the actually bad ones(:4shulk:), or buffing the one thing that needed nerfing, and nerfing the one thing that needed buffing(:4littlemac:), or ruining all of a charatcer's finishers(:4sheik:), or just plain going all out on nerfing the s*** out of a chracter(:4metaknight:). It doesn't accomplish anything good, and only makes thing more annoying for one side or the other.

Little mac. Bowser. You know what they got? Armor, which only served to be annoying and anti-noob. And speed, the only reason they're not horribly unviable. Give Little Mac and Bowser Ganon's runspeed, and see how that goes.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Ideally, that would be awesome. My concern is the execution. I don't want Zoroark to be the generic all speed no power type. That wouldn't do Zoroark justice. I also don't want the illusions to be game breaking. There should be some sort of subtle tell. I would like it if Zoroark could temporarily randomize the opponents controls, or a phantom that would attract enemy projectiles.
I could see Zoroark working like Naruto does in the Clash of Ninja games. His normals don't involve Naruto attacking directly; he briefly summons a clone to attack for him before disappearing. He does combos by summoning multiple clones to continue the string. So, like, instead of punching someone, a clone appears and punches for him, then it disappears. Then another one appears and does a kick, and disappears. And so on.

Last edited:

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
I'm personally excited to have seen more information on Pokkén Tournament and how it will play. When it first announced, I immediately assumed it was going to play much like Tekken, however looking into the gameplay that isn't always the case. It's more like several of those Naruto games that have been around for the past several years. That said, the gameplay was sorta "dull" in some sense but what can you expect when this is probably the first time we've seen people play the game. I am really hoping that Pokkén Tournament will continue to interest me and that it will be a fresh concept for the Pokémon franchise.

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
I could see Zoroark working like Naruto does in the Clash of Ninja games. His normals don't involve Naruto attacking directly; he briefly summons a clone to attack for him before disappearing. He does combos by summoning multiple clones to continue the string. So, like, instead of punching someone, a clone appears and punches for him, then it disappears. Then another one appears and does a kick, and disappears. And so on.
Zoroark creates illusions, unlike Naruto, so it really wouldn't be appropriate for him.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Zoroark creates illusions, unlike Naruto, so it really wouldn't be appropriate for him.
How would it not be appropriate? Double Team. Illusions created by Double Team have actually physically hurt their opponents in the anime before, iirc.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
also

just because he would look great with this games design and he could try to keep opponents in the air by sending tornados and keeping them at a distance and maybe he could transform and his playstyle could change to him chasing down his opponents instead of keeping them far away.

Last edited:

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
How would it not be appropriate? Double Team. Illusions created by Double Team have actually physically hurt their opponents in the anime before, iirc.
Zoroark's clones are simply illusions, unlike Naruto's. If a clone of Zoroark's were to punch someone in the face, it would simply pass through. If a clone of Naruto's were to punch someone in the face, it would make contact.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Zoroark's clones are simply illusions, unlike Naruto's. If a clone of Zoroark's were to punch someone in the face, it would simply pass through. If a clone of Naruto's were to punch someone in the face, it would make contact.
Who's to say they can't simply change that? Pokemon clearly aren't confined to only learned moves, as seen by Pikachu using some of the Mishima style.

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Of course it helps, but still it's like buffing all a character's attacks slightly instead of buffing the actually bad ones(:4shulk:), or buffing the one thing that needed nerfing, and nerfing the one thing that needed buffing(:4littlemac:), or ruining all of a charatcer's finishers(:4sheik:), or just plain going all out on nerfing the s*** out of a chracter(:4metaknight:). It doesn't accomplish anything good, and only makes thing more annoying for one side or the other.

Little mac. Bowser. You know what they got? Armor, which only served to be annoying and anti-noob. And speed, the only reason they're not horribly unviable. Give Little Mac and Bowser Ganon's runspeed, and see how that goes.
I think we'll just need to see how Pokken plays out, but I have faith that Namco will balance the game right.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I have faith too. But seriously, Harada with Machamp lost to some girl using Suicune, even though he made the game.I hope things turn out well.
Zoners naturally beat grapplers in fighting games. That's just kind of how it works.

Top Bottom