• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Aaaaaand the hype's dead. :/

:104:
Why? Because some of us can't find the time to post since finals are done/approaching?

I hope Sceptile is coming one of favourite Pokemon with his speed and elegance he's fit right in.
...he's confirmed

Someone mentioned Steelix earlier and I thought of an idea: why not use Steelix as a boss-type Pokemon? Minus the idea of Shadow Mewtwo, all of the boss-type characters could end up being non-playable

Thoughts?

If there's only 8 Pokemon left, I'd like to see these guys make it of some sort:

Greninja
Zoroark
Lopunny
Swampert
Hawlucha
Tyranitar
Gen 2 Pokemon
Bisharp?

Not sure who would make great DLC choices though. Blastoise could be an interesting one

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Why? Because some of us can't find the time to post since finals are done/approaching?

...he's confirmed

Someone mentioned Steelix earlier and I thought of an idea: why not use Steelix as a boss-type Pokemon? Minus the idea of Shadow Mewtwo, all of the boss-type characters could end up being non-playable

Thoughts?

If there's only 8 Pokemon left, I'd like to see these guys make it of some sort:

Greninja
Zoroark
Lopunny
Swampert
Hawlucha
Tyranitar
Gen 2 Pokemon
Bisharp?

Not sure who would make great DLC choices though. Blastoise could be an interesting one
Actually, Tekken tradition is ridiculously big and overpowered characters that are playable in the home version, but not the arcade, look up Ogre for example

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

...he's confirmed

Thoughts?

Greninja
Zoroark
Lopunny
Swampert
Hawlucha
Tyranitar
Gen 2 Pokemon
Bisharp?

I'm not sure about Bisharp to be honest, he isn't really that noteworthy of a pokemon compared to several others...Scizor and Gallade who could be somewhat similar and both are more popular imo...

Gen 5 is a little hard to really judge to begin with as it is one of the more divisive generations; Zoroark is a no-brainer for the gen 5, while I could say Terrakion is another popular poke...Darmanitan as well is very popular, could be interesting having it switch into it's Zen Mode for it's burst attack...I think Scrafty and Golurk could be cool, but they aren't really that popular themselves either...

It's a little tough to think of decent candidates for DLC since we don't even have the full base roster yet...especially with some Pokemon possibly getting 'eliminated' with other roles in game...
Starters definitely come to mind such as Infernape, Blastoise, and Chesnaught...perhaps some legendaries like Deoxys or Mew (or Shadow Mew? lol)...

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I'm so Dissappointed Nintendo, and Konami, and all other companies who made this game. You failed me. I am officially deleting you away from my favorites list. Most importantly, You have let me down with Dragonite no longer being a main character anymore. In my Official terms, you stink. I was hoping better from you. :mad::cry:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm so Dissappointed Nintendo, and Konami, and all other companies who made this game. You failed me. I am officially deleting you away from my favorites list. Most importantly, You have let me down with Dragonite no longer being a main character anymore. In my Official terms, you stink. I was hoping better from you. :mad::cry:
To be fair, they did give dragonite a role in the game. At least he wasn't outright forgotten. Besides maybe if this spin-off gets enough sales behind it they'll make a second one and make him a playable character! (Wishful thinking but I'm optimistic)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's Namco you wanna be mat at, not Konami. I mean, be mad at Konami by all means but not for this particular thing.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So who is everyone planning on maining? For me it's Sceptile.
Weavile for sure...Sceptile would be my secondary (assuming Scizor or Haxorus doesn't make it)

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
C'mon Alakazam, Lopunny, and Gallade. They're the only 3 pokes left that I want in (and maybe Quagsire as an assist, he is my fav, after all)

If not, Gengar and Gardevoir look pretty fun and they're two of my favorite pokemon too :p

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Like in Sm4sh with Jr, DH, and Ryu, I'm planning on maining 3 of them: Gengar & Gardevoir, since I mained them in Type:Wild (Airdashers in a 2D fighter where THEY are the only ones capable of (instant) airdashing? Oh, YES, please! :D They were as cool & mobile as the likes of Cascavian & Tomohawk in Battle CAPacity and Eva-Beatrice & Frederica Bernkastel in Ougon Musou Kyoku Cross, all of whom I mained as well for their awesome aerial mobility), and Sceptile, considering how he is in Mugen.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So who is everyone planning on maining? For me it's Sceptile.
Definitely going to main Sceptile at the moment, while Gardevoir will probably be my secondary. If Gallade joins the playable roster though, he will be my main.

On that thought, those Dragonite and Togekiss supports got me worried. Their inclusion has paved the way for fully evolved stage 2 Pokemon as possible support Pokemon as well, and seeing a pretty popular Pokemon that also had a solid shot as a full-fledged fighter getting reduced to that role has me worried that this could be Gallade's fate as well. I won't give up hope though; good thing I have a few other Pokemon on my wish list as well.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I am so bummed out about the local play thing. Why they chose to neuter themselves I will never know.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I hadn't heard about the controller situation; that's a shame. I hope that more controller options are available at launch. If not then the best case scenario is the game getting patched at a later date to fix it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I hadn't heard about the controller situation; that's a shame. I hope that more controller options are available at launch. If not then the best case scenario is the game getting patched at a later date to fix it.
They were talking about launch. And there most likely won't be a splitscreen update as that has never been done before (to my knowledge).

I hate to rain on the parade but it is what it is. If Pokken wants to become competitive it will take some serious work to get past this issue unless precisely half the players just dig the gamepad.

D

Deleted member

Pokken Tournament I don't hiw big it'll be but at this point I wish them well.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I'm hoping that with Blaziken and Sceptile confirmed, Swampert is announced as a playable fighter sometime in the future. Would definitely main him. If he's not confirmed, I'm not sure. Definitely gonna try out Sceptile and Gengar.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
They were talking about launch. And there most likely won't be a splitscreen update as that has never been done before (to my knowledge).

I hate to rain on the parade but it is what it is. If Pokken wants to become competitive it will take some serious work to get past this issue unless precisely half the players just dig the gamepad.
Not really, everything points out to the game being online capable, and even in the arcade you had to be on two separate units to play together due to the gameplay's style, it's a unique setup, and that can be a strength. It'll also likely support LAN parties(heck Splatoon does more or less). Also that's considered a really nice feature for casuals, not enough games utilize the Wii-u's asymmetric multiplayer capabilities

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
The next Pokken fighter reveal is set for next week, January 15th!

The hint this time is that this Pokemon has ラ in its Japanese name.

Since Swampert has ラ in its Japanese name, and we already have two of the three Hoenn trio, I'm really hoping Swampert is the reveal for next week (although I'd be cool with Luxray as well since it matches up with the hint).

But man, a part of me wishes that the letter hinted was ル or レ! I mean, just like ラ, they all start with r, and you know what Pokemon has ル or レ in its name? Gallade. Man, looks like I still have to wait with my most wanted.

UPDATE: Below is a list of all Pokemon (minus the pre-evolutions and Pokemon that are already background Pokemon) that have ラ in its Japanese name. All credit goes to Akxareth over in the NintenZone Social Thread for being the original compiler of the list.

Raticate
Raichu
Vileplume
Parasect
Kingler
Marowak
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Kangaskhan
Jynx
Gyarados
Umbreon
Granbull
Kingdra
Hitmontop
Raikou
Tyranitar
Swampert
Mightyena
Aggron
Manetric
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Luxray
Rampardos
Honchkrow
Drapion
Gliscor
Heatran
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Scolipede
Maractus
Carracosta
Cinccino
Reuniclus
Vanilliluxe
Galvantula
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Terrakion
Reshiram
Landorus
Florges
Malamar
Dragalge
Tyrantrum

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Ok, would love an Eveelution so I'm glad Umbreon is on the list, however my likely guess is Scyther, Tyrantum(I mean a T-rex mon fighter would be siiiicccckkkkkkkkk!, and heck Tekken games have had a velociraptor before, time to step it up), and Darkrai. Unless they decide to do Groudon as a giant playable boss(which would be sweet but unlikely), pretty sure we can rule him out. Actually for that matter we can rule out any character who doesn't have limbs, who isn't a serpent, and most evolutions who already has a part of their tree playable in-game. Sadly I think we can rule out Raichu, I prefer him to Pikachu, but another clone would be very heavily shunned. That's my thoughts, I'd try to narrow down the list using my criteria, but kinda busy at the moment

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian

Since Swampert has ラ in its Japanese name, and we already have two of the three Hoenn trio, I'm really hoping Swampert is the reveal for next week (although I'd be cool with Luxray as well since it matches up with the hint).

But man, a part of me wishes that the letter hinted was ル or レ! I mean, just like ラ, they all start with r, and you know what Pokemon has ル or レ in its name? Gallade. Man, looks like I still have to wait with my most wanted.

UPDATE: Below is a list of all Pokemon (minus the pre-evolutions and Pokemon that are already background Pokemon) that have ラ in its Japanese name. All credit goes to Akxareth over in the NintenZone Social Thread for being the original compiler of the list.

Raticate
Raichu
Vileplume
Parasect
Kingler
Marowak
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Kangaskhan
Jynx
Gyarados
Umbreon
Granbull
Kingdra
Hitmontop
Raikou
Tyranitar
Swampert
Mightyena
Aggron
Manetric
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Luxray
Rampardos
Honchkrow
Drapion
Gliscor
Heatran
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Scolipede
Maractus
Carracosta
Cinccino
Reuniclus
Vanilliluxe
Galvantula
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Terrakion
Reshiram
Landorus
Florges
Malamar
Dragalge
Tyrantrum
Galvantula, Stoutland or Tyrantrum would be really cool.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I personally am hoping it's Swampert. At the moment, that's the only Pokemon I really want in Pokken, though I'm sure I'll want others in later. But if another Pokemon gets in, I hope the people hoping for that Pokemon are happy :) I'll be excited no matter what Pokemon are announced

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
It is 100% guaranteed to be Raticate and you fools know it.

I'm completely betting on Swampert in all seriousness.

Last edited:

Raticate
Raichu
Vileplume
Parasect
Kingler
Marowak
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Kangaskhan
Jynx
Gyarados
Umbreon
Granbull
Kingdra
Hitmontop
Raikou
Tyranitar
Swampert
Mightyena
Aggron
Manetric
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Luxray
Rampardos
Honchkrow
Drapion
Gliscor
Heatran
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Scolipede
Maractus
Carracosta
Cinccino
Reuniclus
Vanilliluxe
Galvantula
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Terrakion
Reshiram
Landorus
Florges
Malamar
Dragalge
Tyrantrum
Gliscor, Drapion or Tyrantrum would be nice.

Inb4 it's Jynx.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just like I did in the days leading to the previous reveal, I thought I'd give my two cents regarding who I think are the strongest candidates for the next fighter reveal in light of the hint, as well as my top 5 most wanted from that hint attached at the very end. I'm reposting it from the same post I made in the NintenZone Social Thread.

Generation 1:

Kangaskhan - Kangaskhan has gained a surge of attention since X/Y. It was one of the first Pokemon revealed to have a Mega, and its Mega is also one of the most popular out there, especially in competitive play. We also don't have any Normal-type Pokemon in Pokken yet, so that's another trait that it has going for it. I can see Kangaskhan using a rather generic Normal-type play style ranging from punches and kicks, as well as some stomping and possibly some quake-style attacks (Kangaskhan kind of has the look of a Ground-type, not to mention it can learn Ground-type attacks like Earthquake). It's Mega Evolution would make for a great Burst Attack where its baby will deliver the same attack after its parent uses it, and perhaps the two will team up for a dangerous beat up onto the opponent.

Only problem is that two Pokemon fighting as one fighter might be a little too much since we already have support Pokemon. Yes, Lopunny still remains the most probably Normal-type to be included (and one that Kangaskhan has to compete with due to Lopunny's popularity, who could also have a little more interesting of a moveset as well with all the kicking), but in light of the hint, Kangaskhan has the potential to beat Lopunny to Pokken... for now.

Generation 2:

Raikou - With Suicune already in the game, I won't be surprised if the other Legendary Beasts will appear as fighters. Haikou could use a very animalistic way of fighting in addition to its Electric attacks. It does have to compete with two other Pokemon that would fight very similar to it, both of which are among the Pokemon that fall under that hint. If Raikou joins the fray though, hopefully we'll see Entei join in at some point to complete the trio.

Tyranitar - A Pokemon that was among the strongest candidates in the days leading to the December reveal who now finds itself being among the strongest candidates for the next fighter reveal once again because the new hinted letter also appears in its Japanese name. As the big pseudo-legendary of generation II, Tyranitar could really stand out with a quake-style moveset combined with Rock moves, ability to summon a sandstorm, and a Godzilla-like attacks involving biting, scratching, and stomping. Its popularity and fame, further proven with the fact it was one of the first Pokemon to get a Mega, does give it a strong edge in its competition, not to mention we don't have any major Rock-type attackers on the roster currently. I'd say Tyranitar is the runner-up most probably inclusion in light of the hint.

Generation 3:

Swampert - This could just be my personal bias speaking, but I think Swampert is the strongest candidate for the next fighter reveal. We already have Blaziken and Sceptile of the Hoenn trio in the roster, and Swampert is the only one of its trio left to join. Just like its fellow friends of the trio, it also gained a Mega Evolution recently, and it's a very popular Pokemon as well. Compared to Suicune, Swampert would easily stand out with a mud-style moveset using moves like Mud Bomb, Muddy Water, and Mud Shot to highlight its Mud Fish characteristics. It would also use a quake-style moveset to emphasize the Ground-type (a type that is yet to be represented in Pokken). Of course, through in some physical moves like Hammer Arm into the mix (along with some hardcore punches when it Mega Evolves), and you'll have for an interesting inclusion.

Yes, the whole "completing the trio" is a fanmade rule, but personally, I can't help but think the developers will probably want to complete the trio at some point. I mean, it just feels... awkward... when you have two members of a trio yet you leave the other out.

Aggron - A relatively popular Pokemon who could also utilize a quake-style moveset in addition to using moves revolving around the Rock-typing, which we are still yet to see in the roster. Aggron could also utilize a wide variety of Steel-type attacks like Metal Claw, Metal Sound, Heavy Slam, Iron Head, Iron Tail, and Metal Burst to highlight the Steel-type (to the point that it would do a far better job representing that typing compared to Lucario). It even has a Mega Evolution as well, and it could also a Godzilla-style moveset thanks to its design. Only problem is that it has to compete with Tyranitar, who is capable of utilizing a very similar moveset (except Tyranitar would summon sandstorms and can't use Steel-type attacks as much as Aggron can) and is far more popular.

Manectric - Another relatively popular Pokemon who can also utilize a moveset very similar to Raikou, and because of that, it's a major competitor for who will get into Pokken first (although it's worth mentioning that Manectric has a Mega). Of course, we have another Pokemon that falls under the recent hint who is also capable of a similar moveset. Can you guess who it is?

Generation 4:

Luxray - If you guessed Luxray to the above question, you are correct! It's moveset would look very much like what Raikou or Manectric are capable of. It's also a popular suggestion for Pokken as well. I'll admit this is more of a hopeful candidate for me, but Luxray is popular and has a relatively major role in the anime (arguably Clemont's main Pokemon).

Darkrai - Very popular Pokemon, and one of the most popular legendaries out there, who could utilize a more special-oriented Dark-type moveset in contrast to Weavile's physical-oriented Dark-type moveset. I can also see Darkrai utilizing its Dark Void attacks to constantly stun opponents with sleep, then use its ability to drain their health gradually overtime with the next attack inflicted onto the opponent ending the Bad Dreams effect (think of SFV's Poison effect, except you can't move and it's the initiator's job to end the Poison-effect). This is a Pokemon that I can definitely see generating a lot of hype as well if it was included in Pokken.

Generation 5:

I know some will suggest Zebstrika as being capable of what Raikou, Manectric, and Luxray are doing, but I feel like that compared to the three, Zebstrika wouldn't really do any biting and scratching compared to them. It's also not that popular or noteworthy compared to them and the wider Pokemon spectrum.

Anyways, onto the generation 5 Pokemon that I think are very likely candidates for the next reveal.

Galvantula - Looks yet again Galvantula finds itself matching up with a new hint. One of the first Generation 5 Pokemon revealed, with some solid popularity and support on its back along with the fact no Bug-types currently represented on the roster, I can't help but think Galvantula is one of the best candidates for the first Bug-type to be revealed. It would make for a really unique fighter with its bug attacks combined with spider attacks and electricity (Electroweb anyone?).

Hydreigon - Hydreigon joins the "I'm matching up with the Pokken hint twice in a row" club along with Tyranitar, Galvantula, and another Pokemon that we'll look at next. This is one of the strongest candidates for the true Dragon-type rep at the moment. Hydreigon would definitely attack as a true Dragon terror, attacking with ferocious bites and special-based attacks like Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, and Flamethrower (perhaps even executing these attacks three times at once thanks to its three heads). Salamence is a major competitor since it can be similar in moveset potential, but Hydreigon does have the advantage of being a Generation V Pokemon, so there's that.

Terrakion - And here's the unnamed Pokemon from the aforementioned club I was previously talking about. Terrakion is a strong candidate for the true ramming-kind of fighter, not to mention he could also use Rock-type attacks and a quake-style moveset. Some Pokemon already mentioned do serve as competition for similar moveset potential though. Out of the four generation 5 candidates though, I can see Terrakion being the most likely since its the most popular and the one that create the most hype.

Landorus - Another very popular legendary from the 5th generation. As the leader of the Genie Trio, Landorus seems like the most reasonable inclusion for the first of its trio to be included, as having Tornadus and not Thundurus or the other way around would feel rather awkward. I can see Landorus using a Ground-typing moveset to emphasize its type and its connection to the soil, along with some wind-based attacks to highlight the Flying-type. It's Burst Attack could definitely involve its Therian Forme for some interesting options.

I know I previously said Terrakion was the generation 5 Pokemon that would create the most hype compared to others from the same generation if it was included in Pokken, but I think Landorus could create just as much or perhaps slightly less hype compared to Terrakion (not entirely sure if Terrakion is the more popular Pokemon between it and Landorus).

Generation 6:

Tyrantrum - Very popular 6th generation Pokemon who could utilize a T-rex style moveset complete with ferocious bites and damaging headbutts (as well as Rock-type moveset). Out of all the sixth generation Pokemon that match up with the hint, I think Tyrantrum is the one that will generation the most hype.

Who's my top 5 most wanted in light of that hint:

1: Swampert - It's my favorite of the Hoenn trio, and one of my top 5 favorite Pokemon overall (it was even my favorite Pokemon back in the generation 3 days). I'm really interested in seeing it's mud-style moveset, not to mention seeing its Mega Evolution for its Burst Attack would be pretty beast (being the most muscular Pokemon out there when Mega Evolved that would even send shivers down Machamp's spine). I'll be really hyped to see Swampert in Pokken, as I think it is the most probably inclusion for January 15... and if it truly does, that will be the first time a Pokemon from my top 10 most wanted makes it in!

2: Luxray - It's one of my favorite generation 4 Pokemon, one that I love for its design.

3: Tyrantrum - Who wouldn't want to see a T-Rex Pokemon destroying the competition?

4: Darkrai - One of the coolest legendaries out there, one who would make for a terrifying yet amusingly fun fighter with its sleep mechanic.

5: Terrakion - Rock-type who attacks by ramming into foes like a bull, can utilize unique Fighting-type moves like Sacred Sword, and has a pretty neat design? Count me in!

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Some additional interesting data has popped up

> Next week, Bandai Namco will be pulling back the curtain of another fighter on the way to Pokken Tournament. The announcement – which will likely come with a trailer – will be made on January 15. Only one clue has been shared: the Japanese name of the Pokemon has a letter ラ (ra) in it.

> 50 staff members attempted to predict the Pokemon and their reactions were polled after knowing the result. Here are the results of that:

> – My prediction is correct! I’m really happy! – 1
> – My prediction missed, but I’m still glad – 13
> – My prediction missed, I’m salty – 31
> – I’m actually perplexed, so I can’t answer – 5

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Fingers crossed that it's Marowak. We need a "sword" character.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Well, we got a reveal, but not that reveal! It looks like things are ramping up for release, we have 3 new playable 'mons revealed, and none of them are the hinted at 'mon either, so we're going to have 4 new fighters this week!
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/687165944846774272/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Braxion, Garchomp!, and Mewtwo.
Well, Garchomp is unexpected and awesome, so I'm cool with that! Also that means things are ramping up for console release, perhaps we're going to start seeing multiple reveals a month?!

But I'm getting sick of Fire starter Types, if we don't at least get Blastoise that's going to suck... on the other hand they know his popularity, and it's a super iconic battle

Now for the hint 'mon, I'd say this may rule against Swampert(I mean come on, another starter), and helps the like of Tyranatrum(Who is also a gen 6 mon, but is evolved from an earlier gen), and Scyther(who's a middle evolution, but is just as popular as his evolution).

But ya, if you ask me this is pointing out to a significantly fleshed out roster for the console release, perhaps we may start getting 4 characters revealed a month up to release

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Braixen's inclusion is really interesting! It's nice to see them pick a not-so-obvious choice and I'll probably end up maining them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom