• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Since when does a fighting game need to be perfectly balanced anyways? The only way to perfectly balance it would be to have a homogenous mix of characters with homogenous movesets and traits. Part of the fun of melee is that you can choose to be underpowered if you so desire and still have a good time. True, at super-high levels of competitive play (and even at lower levels) tiers are an important part of your decisions.. But this is both expected and understood.

To question Sakurai's design ethic seems like a silly and ill-informed move to me. This is the same man that brought us the incredible physics of mlee (a so-called "party game") in such abundance that we play it to this day as a competitive fighter. The man is clearly no stranger to fighting game mechanics (as we can deduce from the hardcore combat mechanics of melee).

In short, I think Brawl is going to be a much more polished step up from melee than melee was from Smash 64. Sakurai has had 7 years to really understand the issues with his previous game, and the Wii hardware is near identical to the GC's. Ease of development combined with his already established combat system means he can focus on fine-tuning what was wrong in melee instead of making an entirely new game from the ground up.
Good points. The game doesn't need to be perfectly balanced because, like you said, all of the characters would be the same. I trust Sakurai alot, but a character such is this would be really hard to execute. This character is great in concept, but so many factors are in play here like stamina and the differences between the characters that I think it would be hard to make this character correctly. About everything else, you are right. People do not give Sakurai enough credit for making such a deep fighting game. DI alone deserves much merit.

Chapstick

Smash Cadet
Things just got a lot more interesting. I mean heck, a trainer character summoning pokemon, who can in turn summon other pokemon from pokeballs. It doesn't get much crazier than that.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
If there's no glitch that let's you play Sheik and Zelda at the same time, there will be none for the Pokemon.

The switch move could be lagged. It can also be made so that no jumps or moves can be made after switching in the air. We don't know anything other than what we see on the site.
I'm actually pretty sure this is what's going to happen. The pokemon coming outta the pokeballs are probably going to have some brutal lag, which would mean doing it in the air while recovering is going to send you plummeting. Or, alternatively, if you change in the air the pokemon come outta the pokéball in that "stunned" state from after an airdodge. This one is my personal favorite, because it would allow for some more transformation-mindgaming than the first option.

And now that the "What the HELL?!?!" is wearing off, I'm starting to like the character idea. Think about it. It's a transformation character, ala Zelda. But, unlike Zelda, it forces you to change every once in a while, so you can't just learn to use one and forget about the others. No, if you want to be a good PT player, you have to learn to use all of them, when to transform, and how to vary your tactics according to the pokémon you're using at the moment. Squirtle is probably fast, but it's sent flying if the opponent so much as coughs strongly on him. Charizard is probably the exact opposite -a Ganon-esque char who, if it hits you, you're in for a world of pain. And the trick to mastering the character is finding a way to balance such opposite styles.

So yes, as a casual who likes tactical characters, I like this idea.

And commend Sakurai for managing to out-mindgame 99% of the Smash community with a single character, of course :laugh:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
It's people like you that give competitive smash a bad rep.
Because I don't like the update? Wow, that's a little harsh.

And since when has competitive smash had a bad rep? MLG sure doesnt think so.

red stone said:
i don't like dylan and his closemindedness
Dylan_tnga said:
the optomism in this thread is inspiring, Smashboards. Perhaps the trainer will be a valuable character afterall?

Thank you, and good night.
GG.

just put chuck norris in and send the game out.. no one's gonna complain...cept dylan
Oh **** right. I HATTTTEEEEEE chuck norris, and all the stupid jokes that go with it.

Gregory Peck for Brawl... he's 50x the man chuck norris is.

Hes even more manly than captain falcon. And thats saying something.

CaptainFalcon17

Smash Rookie
The funny thing I was saying they should put a Trainer from pokemon and they did, I wouldn't be surprised if they put Link from Wind Waker and every character that is fighting on a stage(from Wind Waker) on that level would be cel shaded! that right there would be a nice idea!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
It's people like you who still think Chuck Norris is funny.
Quoted for truth. Chuck Norris was never funny. Worst, e-trend, ever.

Ninjas, however were great, and still are. Go ninjas! Tongaa!

topic :

Hmm, Imagine if (due to different weight/traction/fallspeed) someone mastered the combos and DI possibilities of all 3 pokemon?

how much that would **** in a tournament? Im sorry but can you imagine the pwnage? It would take years to master that character though....

I dont like it because it looks very abusable, I just have a feeling. But we wont know till we see him in action.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be pretty good. I mean, Sakuria did say that each cvharacter would have a new flavour. and plus, I think it would be awesome to play as charizard.

So, with this here, does that mean that Lucario, Mewtwo, Munchlax and/or Blaziken are confirmed?

NES n00b

Smash Master
Gregory Peck for Brawl... he's 50x the man chuck norris is.

Hes even more manly than captain falcon. And thats saying something.
First off, that is impossible and how dare you libel the name of Falcon. I am dissappointed. :(

just put chuck norris in and send the game out.. no one's gonna complain...cept dylan
I would, too. Just videogame characters and mostly of the Nintendo variety pleaze.
I guess that's why they call this board random XD
**** right. You 4chan people got nothing on my spam/randomness. XD

iharfor

Smash Journeyman
Does the trainer sit back free from damage while the pokemons take damage, or is he vulnerable? How does he get knocked off the stage?

Kipper500

Smash Rookie
First off, that is impossible and how dare you libel the name of Falcon. I am dissappointed. :(

I would, too. Just videogame characters and mostly of the Nintendo variety pleaze.

**** right. You 4chan people got nothing on my spam/randomness. XD
1. I bet you've never heard of Gregory Peck.
also, FALCON PAUNCH!!

2. "Pleaze."

3. Copypasta. Heard of it?

Razorthe6249th

Smash Rookie
I think it would be pretty good. I mean, Sakuria did say that each cvharacter would have a new flavour. and plus, I think it would be awesome to play as charizard.

So, with this here, does that mean that Lucario, Mewtwo, Munchlax and/or Blaziken are confirmed?
Well, consider what the average maximum from one series is usually allowed.
Zelda had 4 characters (shiek inclusive) Pokemon HAD 4, Mario had quite a few depending on how you count it, but that Mario is Nintendo's main card, so you'd expect it.

tl;dr Unless every character is returning, I would imagine around 4 Pokemon characters, too.

Jigglypuff and Pikachu are a given, being in the first two games. Pokemon Trainer, obviously. And another one (depends if Pichu and Mewtwo are "good enough" to return to the sequal).

Does the trainer sit back free from damage while the pokemons take damage, or is he vulnerable? How does he get knocked off the stage?
How about some reading comprehension? Pokemon Trainer isn't part of the game so to speak, it's all pokemon relevant. He can't be touched, and he doesn't have stocks.

NES n00b

Smash Master
1. I bet you've never heard of Gregory Peck.
also, FALCON PAUNCH!!

2. "Pleaze."

3. Copypasta. Heard of it?
1. Actually I have.

2. Making fun of 1337 talk and a lame one at that I know. XD

3. No I haven't.

On topic, I would never be able to play this character. Seriously, you would have to choose if you need a better recovery or no lag for switching and stuff like that. Too complicated. XD

Kipper500

Smash Rookie
1. Actually I have.

2. Making fun of 1337 talk and a lame one at that I know. XD

3. No I haven't.

On topic, I would never be able to play this character. Seriously, you would have to choose if you need a better recovery or no lag for switching and stuff like that. Too complicated. XD
Well, lurk moar. If it's too tl;dr for you, I'll explain.

Either a game*** or a troll trolled /b/ and used "I GUESS THAT'S WHY THEY CALL THIS BOARD RANDOM XD" to mock people like you who use it in every post seriously.

LOL XD XD XD

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
How chilling. Only last week I was saying how weird it would be if Ninty had taken a different turn when coming up with Pokémon characters for SSB64, with trainers. This is different to my idea, which was a little sketchy, due to the fact it was a sickeningly terrible character.
But now, as much as I grumble and as messed up as this is, it's going to be interesting to say the least. But WHY Charizard? I'd have preferred the DP starters but I don't mind RBY. But c'mon - couldn't have have used Blastoise, Ivysaur and Charmander? Or Venusaur? Or all three middle stages? Charizard is over-used as it is anyway... Imagine online SSBB and all the Charizard n00bs...

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Well, consider what the average maximum from one series is usually allowed.
Zelda had 4 characters (shiek inclusive) Pokemon HAD 4, Mario had quite a few depending on how you count it, but that Mario is Nintendo's main card, so you'd expect it.

tl;dr Unless every character is returning, I would imagine around 4 Pokemon characters, too.

Jigglypuff and Pikachu are a given, being in the first two games. Pokemon Trainer, obviously. And another one (depends if Pichu and Mewtwo are "good enough" to return to the sequal).
That only works if the total number of characters remains constant. If there's say 40 characters in Brawl, it definitely wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to have 5 or even 6 Pokemon characters.

Razorthe6249th

Smash Rookie
That only works if the total number of characters remains constant. If there's say 40 characters in Brawl, it definitely wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to have 5 or even 6 Pokemon characters.
Mayhaps but you'd have to hope Sakurai has a little more initiative than "40 characters means I can stick more characters from the same series in"

Different series makes for more interest.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Well, lurk moar. If it's too tl;dr for you, I'll explain.

Either a game*** or a troll trolled /b/ and used "I GUESS THAT'S WHY THEY CALL THIS BOARD RANDOM XD" to mock people like you who use it in every post seriously.

LOL XD XD XD
Trolls don't phase me so do whatever you like. And in no way does anyone use epic fail in serious conversation. All for laughs. :laugh:

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Mayhaps but you'd have to hope Sakurai has a little more initiative than "40 characters means I can stick more characters from the same series in"

Different series makes for more interest.
Sure, but with the sheer number of Pokemon and the popularity of the series, a large number of unique movesets can be made. That, paired with an increased number of characters overall, leads me to believe that there'll probably be more representatives than the 4 that were in Melee.

And given Sakurai's affinity for "classic" characters, I don't think we'll have much of a problem with a lack of series diversity.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Wow Pokemon trainer... Since he's in the background all the time, I wonder how he will be able to follow everyone around... I mean... on stages like DK's moving level, will he get left behind or something? lol. Or what about standing on a bridge of Eldin when it collapses.
If the pokemon trainer for some reason falls off the pokemon should commit suicide and jump after him.

But, that wont happen.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
That's not a bad reputation. That's just a bunch of ******* making trolling something they know little about.
And it's not my fault either. Especially since I clearly have videos of myself playing on yoshis story, pokemon stadium, and others. Mostly FD though (habit)

I made some new vids but theyre not up yet. Green Greens is my favvve stage, id rather have no final destination in brawl, if they kept green greens.

*gasp* yes, I don't care all that much for final destination. I pick it out of habit from so many matches ive played there, but its not a great stage... For a few matches sure, but its mostly a space animals counterpick stage for people who think they're 1337 stuff.

I bet pokemon trainer would OWN on green greens! :)

You can't blame my dislike of certain new features on the ignorance of other people. It's unfair, and its not accurate.

So.. who else is pumped to find out what kind of combos you can do with ivysaur? (my fave of the three bulbasaur stages btw, I used to have the pokemon cards :p )

_Slick_

Smash Ace
The funny thing I was saying they should put a Trainer from pokemon and they did, I wouldn't be surprised if they put Link from Wind Waker and every character that is fighting on a stage(from Wind Waker) on that level would be cel shaded! that right there would be a nice idea!
HE BETTER BE IN!
I want him more than Lucario. ^-^;;

Not really. I'm actually more excited about Squirtle. He seems like a good player.

Um...no. >.>

He's just, a trainer...Did you even read the update?

How chilling. Only last week I was saying how weird it would be if Ninty had taken a different turn when coming up with Pokémon characters for SSB64, with trainers. This is different to my idea, which was a little sketchy, due to the fact it was a sickeningly terrible character.
But now, as much as I grumble and as messed up as this is, it's going to be interesting to say the least. But WHY Charizard? I'd have preferred the DP starters but I don't mind RBY. But c'mon - couldn't have have used Blastoise, Ivysaur and Charmander? Or Venusaur? Or all three middle stages? Charizard is over-used as it is anyway... Imagine online SSBB and all the Charizard n00bs...
Charizard n00bs? Why complain? Just easier wins.

An easy win is an easy win.
Atleast the Pokemon weren't all Ubers.
OH THANK GOD THEY AIN'T UBER.

Yes there is. Many people talk about

"lol competitive smash, 1v1 flat stage no items lulz"
I hate competitive players. THE GAMES FOR FUN!

But Pogeymanz serius bisness. =B

I can imagine PT V PT. It'd be pretty awesome as we finally have a game where YOU control the Pokemon. I know about Pikachu but you actually have a sorta team.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I hate competitive players. THE GAMES FOR FUN!
Hey! Im going to a tournament on saturday, and the only reason is FUN!!

I stand no chance of winning, so its basically 15$ for a day of epic smash. Trust me, competitive smash is way more fun than it sounds. The rules are just there for the actual tourney so that the money goes to the person who deserves it, winning in a fair contest of skill.

Friendly matches? (which is 80-90 percent of most tournaments) you can do whatever you want, as long as you find ppl to play that agree to your rules!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Is it posible to post a topic in the right room? Update room! Character room! And you still get it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom