• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer vs Sonic

No Picture this time, feel too lazy lol. Sonic is a character that can really twist your head around. His running speed is the fastest in the game, His survivability is top notch, and His options availble to him are quite great.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Learn to land far away from him. Landing lag is one of the only ways he will get a KO move on you. Squirtle is the best here but charizard is fine to. Learn to grab him after a UpB for a gimp the same way you gimp snake.with squirtle fair beats out alot of his moves and combo starters so feel free to spam it.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
This is only based on one match because IIRC they switched to Wario for the second match:

Be very patient with him. Sonic matches seem to take forever, so just build up damage slowly but steadily and play patiently.

I thought Charizard did the best out of all of the Pokemon. I managed to get him out on every stock for the majority of the time and I always lived like 180%+ all you need to know is that Sonic's kill moves are pretty limited and easy to see coming (Like Ivysaur) so just watch out for that. Some of them try to spam killing you with Uair off the top of the stage. I didn't think it was too hard to avoid if you knew it was about to happen.

Basically, if he runs away from you, just stay your ground and stay wary/on the defensive because he will probably try to come back almost instantly to try and take you by surprise.

Flamethrower and Rock Smash are really effective, and SH Flamethrower pretty much shuts down all spinning attacks, but don't become complacent with it because he can do the one where it lets him jump and hit you with like Dair or Nair. Dair will probably try to set you up for a kill with Uair, and Nair is a kill move within itself (IMO his best).

Most of this might be dated because I played that match in January.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Zard ruins most of Sonic's approach options with flamethrower and rocksmash. Dtilt, ftilt and bair are your best options here.

General tips: DI the uthrow and fastfall, or you'll eat an uair or bair. Watch out for his dair, and if your opponent upB>dair spams a lot, perfect shield and punish.

Ivys jab and dtilt beat sonics grounded down B and side B, use bullet seed to punish his dair if it becomes predictable.

Squirtle is faster than Sonic. I speak truth. Hydroplane dsmash will catch him offguard due to its range. and forward hydroplane is fast enough to catch up to a retreating sonic.

One of my crew members is a renowned Sonic main in Australia (having placed 2nd with only Sonic in a 30+ entrants tourney) so I have a fair bit of matchup experience. Tired now, will post more later.

T-block

B2B TST
Charizard wrecks Sonic... you won't die unless you're stupid about recovering. I tend to use his jabs a lot in this matchup. Once you get used to all the trippy stuff he can do with the spins the matchup isn't hard at all.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Tanman. =)
But yes, DJB has a crazyass sonic. Nixernator these days plays Zss and Snake. My crew is aaaaall about the underappreciated. All of us have mains on the bottom half of the tier list.

Zard = Win vs Sonic [/thread related]

Browny

Smash Hater
yeah thats what I was thinking, this wasnt done too long ago :/ Although I dont think the conclusions reached back then were entirely accurate (conclusions are not limited to ratios, which should DIAF)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I should go play Zeta, he believes in Pokeymanz in my city, so that will tell me whether or not what has been said so far is actually real or not.

I'm not getting a lot of positive feedback back on the Sonic side, and while I try to remain as subjective as possible, they're mah homies and so far they're apparently not liking what they're seeing so far... however since I have not played the MU in-forever/person I can't say anything further on the matter until I get that taken care of.

T-block

B2B TST
I've never had a problem with it... unless your opponent is a really good tech chaser, as long as you do tech the landing instead of falling and lying there, he shouldn't get off more than one regrab.

Vermy

Smash Champion
His dthrow pushes you too far away for it to be a problem. Its no GaW/Snake dthrow. And stage striking/banning FD fixes most of that problem anyway.

anax4aero

Smash Cadet
I believe the trick to Sonic players is not repeating their own patterns, because once you figure out Sonic's attacking patterns he's pretty much wrecked. Every Sonic player has his/her own way of using the special attacks to confuse and raise damage, so it's a matter of defending and finding his weaknesses, something all three pokemon can do.
Btw, if you figure out when a Sonic player is doing the homing attack, Ivy's Uair and Usmash are terrific punishment. Actually, for this match I like Ivy's options in the air from above and from below, which is good if the Sonic player abuses the spring.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I have faced a few Sonics, and I haven't lost (and I only use PT).

Charizard is really deadly since he can take and deliver a beating. He also has the ability to keep Sonic outside his comfort zone by forcing him to stand still (due to the grab game and toolbox of spacing and KO moves), so Sonic is in trouble.

Squirtle is a more airborne version of Sonic, and due to several advantages like size and nasty tricks.

Ivysaur, as usual, can only go so far. Ivy really doesn't have a method to deal with him, so hitting down b or killing yourself is the best strategy.

As always, all options are based off AI and the occasional human.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
sonic is going to go crazy all over you. In my expirence sonic has disjointed hitboxes and WILL abuse tilts. what are very very disjointed. pivot grabs are very annoying, especially with his speed. Sonic is going to keep pressuring, and i THINK Initial hop of Side B > Razor Leaf in priority. Zard needs to use Flamethrower and Rock Smash Defensively. you just need to play really defensive, doing hit & runs with squirtle, and ivy is just plain defensive..

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's hitboxes are not really disjointed lol....

He has problems killing. One of the worst killers up with Sheik probably. His best killmoves are probably Fsmash and Bair. He has some other killmoves like Bthrow but everything is either hard to hit or kills very late. Just DI right when he Upthrow you because most of them chase with a spring and Baur or Uair for a kill(But you already knew this, right?).

Also Sonic is a punishment character. He has a lot of mindgame tools and the only way for him to hit you is to mindgame you.

You also need to be careful with your shield because some will cancel their B> or Bv and then grab you.

Top Bottom