• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer Socratic Discussion Thread

Kith

Smash Ace
Hehe ivysaur's up-b cancel is fun. I mindgamed so many people into taking a forward smash at my last tourney.

Edit: By up-b cancel, I really mean auto cancelling up b on a higher platform.

Kith

Smash Ace
Naw dawg. What I mean is...
Okay, let's say you're on Battlefield. You're Ivysaur on the ground, and you're fighting a snake who just recovered high (as they normally do). You wanna be bad ***, so what you do is jump and up-B, causing him to airdodge. I'm pretty sure it's known that if you time that just right, you'll land on the higher platform with no lag. That's where you F-smash him out of his airdodge.

It's a neat little trick

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you can also do it out of hitstun, as you are close to landing

or i think, anyway, i accidentally vine whipped yesterday as i fell and landed with no lag

this is absolutely useless but yeah it's

yeah

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
So I have some cute things that I want to show people, I am just a ****** I guess, because I find my old as 2004 iMovie HD hella ****ty.

Oh so since I don't really know how to work it well I am to lazy to do da video.

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Charizards N-air...Discuss

oh and...I kno this is totally impractical but yesterday I hit my friend on BF platform while i was on the ground with N-air > Up-B

low percent combo? I'll test it out some more later...I mean there is obviously better options then that but it's still pretty funny

also does anyone effectively use Up-B? I have been wanting to do it out of shield like marths' do but I feel as though it is too slow for that

and back to the nair subject it seems to be more useful for me then fair in most situations...that guaranteed knockback is a total helper even if it isnt alot of knockback...I just hate when I wiff a f-air and then end up gettin upsmashed or something because I didn't get that knockback

oh and charizard DI momentumem cancel move is B-air right?
Yeah Fly-KO is Zard's equivalent of like, the Water Gun KO. lulzzzz. (By that, I mean I do it so I can be all like "FLYYYYYYY K-OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" when I do it and it makes me happy. Also, yes, it can be quite practical, imo. Just like Water Gun, it's highly underestimated. It has to be used in tandem with other things to be effective, again, like Water Gun. Bad comparison? Maybe. But you get the point. Be smart. lol) Flamethrower is just impractical to KO with. :p

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol Buuda has made two posts like that T-block I think responding to them is the weakest of your choices....with Typh being back now it would have been more fun to let him go back to old ways and give Buuda a quality response lol

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hahaha fair enough T-block I guess Im the last child of the hard-knock life that was typh as a PT main......man I honestly missed him he just forced people to get the point LOL

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Hey now, fellas. Hey, now. Just because I screw around when I reply doesn't mean I'm not being serious. lol. And I know Flamethrower is practical as an edge-hog move, all I was saying is that Water Gun is more awesome? Anyhow, in all seriousness, to answer the question- yes, I do use Fly to KO every now and then. Only rarely, really, but it can still be a viable option. Oh, and I remember when Typh used to be a PT main. I hated him. I like him better, now that he relies on muscle-memory to win. (rip on Climber's, not on Typh. lol)
See what I did there? It was a joke. XP

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Hate to burst your bubble, Buuda, but typh is a PT main now.

But back on topic: I don't use Flamethrower as an edgeguarding tool too often, but it has its uses.

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Hate to burst your bubble, Buuda, but typh is a PT main now.

But back on topic: I don't use Flamethrower as an edgeguarding tool too often, but it has its uses.
oic.

I don't use it to edgeguard that often, but it's still pretty good for getting a few damage in when someone is trying to get back on the stage.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
ask zigsta how many times he got hit by my charizard's fsmash yesterday

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
wow I am Jealous.

Just so everyone knows I beat typh the first two games in a row we played and then I promptly sandbagged the rest.

typh IS cute.

get at him

typh is everyones favorite PT.

Zig and Typh vids do it do it do it.

alll life is good now that typh is back and all the young pts are flourishing.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
typh got an SD card, so we'll be sure to get some stuff recorded for you guys.

We had to face each other in a mid tier tourney today. :(

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it still feels really weird to think about PT in mid tier tourneys

because

he's not mid tier

haaaa

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Okay, speaking of janky b-momentum, I (think) I discovered something balls-to-the-walls incredible. Soo, I stumbled across a way to get b-momentum (like a wavebounce) with Neutral B without actually being turned around and b-reversing. And no, I'm not b-sticking. Anyhow, I did this at Don't Blink with Charizard, and here's how it goes (it's INCREDIBLE with flamethrower):

So, all you do is jump back lightly, not enough to turn around, and then press B followed by forward on the thumbstick, and if you time it right, you get amazing b-momentum forward that can leave the opponent stuck in the nasty part of Flamethrower because they thought you were retreating and SH backwards with Zard is really vulnerable. So when they try to exploit it, all of a sudden, you whip forward inexplicably with a good flamethrower, and I noticed the same works with a few other characters. I haven't done a whole lot of testing on it, but I was talking to some people (Arty, and some others I can't remember, lol) and they all said they'd never seen it, and I think this technique is probably applicable to all characters. It's seriously REALLY good. Like, if you're right at the edge (facing away from it) and you short hop lightly back, the opponent rushes you, and like stated earlier, you melt his/her face off with a sexy flamethrower if you have good spacing and timing. I wish I could upload a vid, but idk if I actually did it in any matches that got saved. Anyone wanna do this?

So, again:

SH back w/o turning
B-->Forward on Thumbstick
Commence winning.

Someone tell me if this is already known. If it is, I gain official scrub status. Lol. But I did talk to a bunch of people and they said they'd never seen it. It makes such sexy mindgames! :D

T-block

B2B TST
Buuda, try to post in the appropriate thread please.

I'm not completely sure what you're describing... if I go through those inputs in my head, my instinct tells me nothing extraordinary happens. If there's a significant momentum boost though, that's news to me. I don't have access to a Wii to test, though, unfortunately =(

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Buuda, try to post in the appropriate thread please.

I'm not completely sure what you're describing... if I go through those inputs in my head, my instinct tells me nothing extraordinary happens. If there's a significant momentum boost though, that's news to me. I don't have access to a Wii to test, though, unfortunately =(
My bad, bro.
But yeah, there is significant momentum. Like, BALLER momentum. Try it out with Flamethrower. If you time it just right, it's INCREDIBLE. (imo) :D

/Buuda names it wave-rushing

(instead of wave-bouncing)

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
No, not wave-bouncing. Because you normally would b-reverse to wave-bounce. I'm talking about getting the b-momentum without the reverse, if you'd read thoroughly.

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
lol, buuda

I do declare, mine fellow chaps! Humour arises from the postings of Siddhartha Gautama's Mexican Squirtle main!

GG Joey, you made me get an infraction.

Now I'm gonna make a vid of the 0-death we discovered Falcon has on Squirtle so everyone can see it. >: )

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hahaha I love the people that have Grab releases on squirtle and think they instantly win.....first off try and get a grab on a good squirtle.. Second Zard and Ivy can handle falcon too having a grab release-> w.e on squirtle is nothing we havent had to deal with in other matchups.

Marth is much more of a horror then our matchup with falcon as far as grab releases go at least his grab range and pivot grab matter

Top Bottom