• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Pokemon Stadium - Mewtwo General Matchup Thread

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does anyone have any issues with Bowser? Bowser is potentially a terrible matchup beacause he has strong and spammable moves with a ton of range. His strength to KO Mewtwo is self-explanatory, but I'd like to note the up-smash's invincibility. Another hazardous factor is rage, and Bowser is the heaviest character in the game. You will need to rely on a gimp to promptly eradicate a stock before it's too late.

Mewtwo has a few advantages, such as a good edge guard ability as usual, fairly strong moves, and his Shadow Balls, no matter what power. will always pierce Bowser's light armor at los percentages. Other than that, Mewtwo has an enormous hurtbox and greatly light weight, and that's the main issue. If I would rate this, it would probably be 40:60.
But then there's the fact that Bowser's disadvantage state is absolutely atrocious. Pop him into the air,
which you can do fairly easily with dtilt or any of his throws, and there's little he can do to defend himself
well against Mewtwo except his own fair or bombing the edge. Spark eats airdodges especially with his poor air speed,
and both dair and Bowser Bomb can get Mewtwo a free disable if he anticipates them, which WILL KO the koopa
king much earlier than he's used to.
I almost feel like it could be one of Mewtwo's worst, tbh. What with the Pikmin eating Shadow Balls and Olimar's moves themselves leaving little time for punishes.

The fact that Mewtwo's aerials seem to be completely outprioritized by Olimar's doesn't help either.

It's a struggle, if it wasn't for the fact that Olimar can be killed early (Shadow Ball that somehow gets through the Pikmin, Uthrow, the occasional Smash attack that will miraculously connect) because of his weight I would find this MU near impossible to deal with.

Ugh.
If throwing Shadow Balls at Olimar isn't working out, you can either confuse his pikmin like many people have suggested,
or use Shadow Ball's recoil to instantly get past his zoning (use in moderation, of course). Also mind the yellows
as you can't nair those off.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Bowser pretty much has to land. Unless you get creative with Dash Slash or Fire Breath.

Bowser generally wants to be on the ground.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I tend to do well against Bowser, but also main Bowser, so I know exactly what to look for and what his weaknesses are. I have yet to fight a Dorf that made me think the matchup is not in Mewtwo's favor.

Raykz, do you have replays of you vs. a good Pikachu to send me? Alternatively, would you be interested in friending and playing the Pika player I was struggling with?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Just for the record, Wario is actually a heavy weight, so he doesn't die early...

I agree with you in that Ganondorf does not have an advantage over Mewtwo. Ganon often beats people because he heavily punishes careless play, not because Ganon as a character has an advantage. So for any who feel it's 30:70, I think maybe you're overestimating Ganon because of mistakes you made. As a Mewtwo, you can't do anything risky against a Ganon, nor should you ever need to. Every single hit counts, and we have the tools to be very safe.

By the way, falling nair gimps Ganon like 95% of the times I try it. I would argue this matchup is like 70:30 in Mewtwo's favor, because Mewtwo can literally gimp Ganon off a single back throw (if customs are off). Bair also overcomes anything Ganon can do offstage if nair isn't safe.
M2 Nair gimping?

Dark Fists.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Edge guarding Ganon may not be the safest if he can ganoncide or use fists to hit mewtwo through the ledge.
Ganonciding is always a risk, but it's also insanely risky for Ganon, too, so you're only really going to see
it when he either has a stock lead or is greatly out-damaged on the same stock.

Nobody sits at the ledge to edge-guard Ganon, and if they do they're just settling for the ledge mixup game,
and as such are unlikely to fall for the fists hitting the ledge outside of inexperience with the move.
If Ganon is knocked far from the stage, Mewtwo can go incredibly deep to meet him where doing anything
is incredibly risky. Dark Fists does not fundamentally make his recovery good, it just makes it harder to challenge.
Dropkick will be causing more headaches in edge-guarding for Mewtwo than fists ever will...

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I tend to do well against Bowser, but also main Bowser, so I know exactly what to look for and what his weaknesses are. I have yet to fight a Dorf that made me think the matchup is not in Mewtwo's favor.

Raykz, do you have replays of you vs. a good Pikachu to send me? Alternatively, would you be interested in friending and playing the Pika player I was struggling with?
Honestly I haven't been able to play almost at all in the past few weeks, I don't have a replay I can send you right now.

Most of the stuff I was telling you was theorycrafting, although I have fought some decent Pikachu's, i haven't fought nothing good enough to begin to grasp the MU. For all I know Pikachu could dominate Mewtwo severely.

I'd be glad to friend the Pika player and fightinf him next weekend once I can actually play freely without time limitations.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
from what I have battling with mewtwo, I will throw in some Match Up I think is pretty solid my point of view (talking non custom both from normal matches and For glory):

:4mewtwo:Vs :4link: 60/40 to Mewtwos Favor

Pro
* Mewtwo can reflect any of his projectiles back, limiting Links options and approaches
* Fully Charged Shadow Ball destroy every projectiles link throws at Mewtwo
* Big and Heavy, bound to be hit when not careless
* Many of Link moves except on Projectiles are have end lag, making mewtwo perfect to punish
* Link often recovers under/with grappling hook, making it easier for mewtwo to punish with Nair/Dair on the Read
* Link size is perfect for OoS Upsmash

Con
* Link has a sword, higher priority than mewtwos tail
* Link has power and Mewtwo dies early

:4mewtwo:Vs :rosalina: 60/40 to Mewtwos Favor

Pro
* Lightweight, can die early thanks to mewtwos strong attacks
* Confusion do reflect a charged luma and starbits, limiting her options
* Luma often gets the losing end of a trade with mewtwo
* small shadow ball is fast enought to use as a distractor if you predict a DownB/Luma is in your way
* Dash Attack goes through Rosalina and launch Luma after some damage, making it hard to OoS Grab unless perfect shield
* (not tested), you can reflect a shadow ball back when rosalina does DownB
* Rosalinas Size is perfect for a OoS UpSmash

Con
* Luma is the strong one and can kill you earlier than rosalina herself
* Disjointed hitboxes
* can Juggle you easy

:4mewtwo:Vs :4fox: 55/45 to Mewtwos Favor

Pro
* Fast Falling, making it much easier to snag a unteched jab lock with small shadow ball / Ftilt
* tend to be juggled easy with mewtwos tails
* Jab to Disable is almost a guarantee on Fox, Jab to Grab is a true combo
* Nair is perfect for Fox, both a Raising Nair and FastFalling Nair on or offstage
* Bair beats Foxs SideB when timed
* always wins a tennis match with a fresh/not staled Shadow Ball against Fox Normal Reflector. scoring you a free kill
* can reflect his lasers, which reflects 4 of 5 when confusion is used
* Fox can easy be trapped in a UpSmash

Con
* Fox Kills early upward, which is Mewtwos one weakness
* is fast and can be unpredictable at times

:4mewtwo: Vs :4pikachu: 40/60 - 45/55 to Mewtwos Favor (need more matches of this set up)

Pro
* Thunder Jolt and Thunder can be all reflected
* can easy be juggled with the tail
* Fully Charged Shadow Ball pierce through his Thunder Jolts

Con
* Pika's BnB combos are pain for Mewtwo
* Pika can juggle Mewtwo with ease
* OoS UpSmash can easy miss pikachu if on the ground

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
in my experience, I dont really think Fox is that Mewtwos bad MU. would say 50/50 ot 55/45 as I did say before.

however, I do have a feeling that a Falco will be a worse MU than Fox to his reflector, SideB meteor, heavy AND can jump high
(havent met Falco so I cant say)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
in my experience, I dont really think Fox is that Mewtwos bad MU. would say 50/50 ot 55/45 as I did say before.

however, I do have a feeling that a Falco will be a worse MU than Fox to his reflector, SideB meteor, heavy AND can jump high
Falco isn't heavy, he just falls fast like Fox.

He's easier to keep out and escape from, but he punishes harder with more ways to kill.
Also I wouldn't be too worried about Phantasm meteors unless he snipes your midair jump, it's
weak and Mewtwo has great recovery as long as you, again, mind the second jump.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles

Post videos of your matches. I am skeptical.

Honestly I haven't been able to play almost at all in the past few weeks, I don't have a replay I can send you right now.

Most of the stuff I was telling you was theorycrafting, although I have fought some decent Pikachu's, i haven't fought nothing good enough to begin to grasp the MU. For all I know Pikachu could dominate Mewtwo severely.

I'd be glad to friend the Pika player and fightinf him next weekend once I can actually play freely without time limitations.
Add TWILTHERO. I told him about you.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
From my limite experience I'll just say exactly what most people have said already, I feel like Mewtwo's hardest matchups are rush-downs, specially Sheik and Fox.

Falcon isn't as hard as most people say as long as you avoid getting grabbed and space your **** correctly, he has a hard time getting into our "zone" and he is easily gimped, the match is still in his favor but I would wager it's closer to 45:55.

ZSS seems easy to me, might even be in M2s favor. Although most ZSS I've fought only try to either grab, paralyze with N-Special or space N-Airs/F-Airs on me, all of which are pretty easy to avoid as Mewtwo (so maybe if the ZSS played differently vs Mewtwo it would lead to the MU being harder for M2).

Mario is weird, I find fighting Mario's incredibly hard, I don't know if it's my own playstyle or what but I just hate fighting Mario as Mewtwo. Feels like Mario can combo Mewtwo at all %s with U-Tilts, U-Airs, N-Airs + B-Airs and although he has a hard time landing those KO moves, B-Throw will probably end up killing us at some point. It feels like an uphill battle all the match, even when edgeguarding Mario's incredibly quick Up-B and his Cape give him a very safe return to the stage.

Still, I don't have much experience with Mewtwo since I haven't been able to play much yet. I am still in the one digit hours, so take my opinion at face value, I might be very wrong.

Last edited:

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
@ pikazz pikazz I feel like all of your matchups (excluding maybe link) are unfortunately optimistic. Most of those pros are just gimmicks or general matchup knowledge rather than significant advantages. Especially for Pikachu - being able to deal with Thunder Jolt SO does not make the matchup in our favor. Do you have videos or something against good people demonstrating this?

@ Chiroz Chiroz I've found the same thing regarding Mario. And I think a big problem is that Mario is SO lagless except for fair. It's extremely difficult to punish him, especially because the horrible end lag on our dodges prevent us from a quick roll crossup. Running and shielding just doesn't work against aerial fireballs because of Mario's air mobility. He can force us to approach, and then DESTROYS us up close with his juggle game. And to top it off, his smashes all kill us early, and are nearly unpunishable.
On a side note, I wish our grab had more range. It's disappointing how strict the timing and positioning is to shieldgrab Mario's landing nair or dair. I almost feel like we can't punish them safely because of shieldstun and the speed of his jab.

M2 Nair gimping?

Dark Fists.
Well, by that logic, we can't nair any character with any kind of up B super armor or strength. Which definitely isn't true. Ganon's recovery isn't perfect; it definitely leaves openings, especially once you understand the timing of drop kick. :3

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
@ Enoki Enoki what can you say, I am an optimist guy ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
I dont have many videos of them tho, just wanted to throw my opinions into the mix to help the discussion for the better and open up the minds that are new to this

Last edited:

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
I gotcha, don't let me get you down! I just think maybe it's a bit early to say Mewtwo has an advantage over top tiers. :3
I do appreciate your optimism in that people are soooooo quick to shoot Mewtwo down.
Like really, does any other character have a "complaints" thread?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I gotcha, don't let me get you down! I just think maybe it's a bit early to say Mewtwo has an advantage over top tiers. :3
I do appreciate your optimism in that people are soooooo quick to shoot Mewtwo down.
Like really, does any other character have a "complaints" thread?
Diddy, and I think Little Mac have complaint threads, though in Diddy's case I think the complaints were
opposite in nature.

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
I can kind of understand those two. Diddy because for so long he was just dominating every tournament (who hasn't ever felt a little frustrated at dying to an uair super early?), Mac because he's just a polarizing, and (I would argue) frustrating character to play as and against.
Mewtwo's complaints were mostly just whining about how he has some notable flaws, or is too similar to Melee, or isn't easy to pick up and play at a competitive level, like 90% of the cast. Not that complaints are invalid, but these same complaints exist for plenty of other characters; people had rather unrealistic hopes for the first DLC character ever. I think most of the Mewtwo "worst in the game" doom and gloom stuff has passed anyway, people have realized he just takes more time to figure out. :3

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can kind of understand those two. Diddy because for so long he was just dominating every tournament (who hasn't ever felt a little frustrated at dying to an uair super early?), Mac because he's just a polarizing, and (I would argue) frustrating character to play as and against.
Mewtwo's complaints were mostly just whining about how he has some notable flaws, or is too similar to Melee, or isn't easy to pick up and play at a competitive level, like 90% of the cast. Not that complaints are invalid, but these same complaints exist for plenty of other characters; people had rather unrealistic hopes for the first DLC character ever. I think most of the Mewtwo "worst in the game" doom and gloom stuff has passed anyway, people have realized he just takes more time to figure out. :3
I feel that those hopes were more because a) it's freaking Mewtwo, and b) Melee Mewtwo suffered
from serious design flaws (fake reflector that's punishable when it lands, same with down b, a dair that is way
too weak for how slow it is... Melee Mewtwo is way more unfinished than the current one).

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
600 matches with Mewtwo on my system so far. 26 hours. I am starting a collection of replays against various matchups for people to check out. I think Mewtwo needs a huge video catalogue of matchup videos more than any other character because he is so diverse in approach.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
:4fox:vs:4mewtwo: is a case where they body eachother but :4mewtwo:loses neutral so he just gets bodied more often than :4fox: does.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Does anyone else think that Mewtwo has the edge over Villager? Villager isn't quick enough to chase, and the specific function of Confusion as both a reflect and a grab seems to mess up a lot of Villager's game plan.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Does anyone else think that Mewtwo has the edge over Villager? Villager isn't quick enough to chase, and the specific function of Confusion as both a reflect and a grab seems to mess up a lot of Villager's game plan.
Eh, that'll work on an inexperienced Villager I suppose. I mean slingshots are pretty fast and can beat confusion's start-up, but if Mewtwo keeps spamming it, Villagers should easily launch a gyroid and prepare to punish confusion from overhead with a down-air. Plus, while shadow ball can be quick, it's still a little predictable, and when pocketed, it can easily usually kill or be a guaranteed shield break. (Once got 3 shield breaks in one fight!) And it's that much faster too. Plus disable can be pocketed for some reason haha
I'd actually give Villager the advantage. At least Mewtwo has a teleport and will die to bowling ball less often than the rest of the cast. And other way around, Mewtwo edgeguarding Villager might be good. There's no hitbox so landing a spike is low risk high reward. Back-air could be pretty good too, but nairing to drag em down for a gimp is ganna be pointless.
I'd guess like... 45:55 in Mewtwo's favor? He just has a lot of pressure to deal with and has to play Villager's game, unable to do most of what he wants to do.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Eh, that'll work on an inexperienced Villager I suppose. I mean slingshots are pretty fast and can beat confusion's start-up, but if Mewtwo keeps spamming it, Villagers should easily launch a gyroid and prepare to punish confusion from overhead with a down-air. Plus, while shadow ball can be quick, it's still a little predictable, and when pocketed, it can easily usually kill or be a guaranteed shield break. (Once got 3 shield breaks in one fight!) And it's that much faster too. Plus disable can be pocketed for some reason haha
I'd actually give Villager the advantage. At least Mewtwo has a teleport and will die to bowling ball less often than the rest of the cast. And other way around, Mewtwo edgeguarding Villager might be good. There's no hitbox so landing a spike is low risk high reward. Back-air could be pretty good too, but nairing to drag em down for a gimp is ganna be pointless.
I'd guess like... 45:55 in Mewtwo's favor? He just has a lot of pressure to deal with and has to play Villager's game, unable to do most of what he wants to do.
Slingshots are definitely a pain for tall Mewtwo, you're just gonna have to shield through. If you have a charged
shadow ball ready it may be worth your while to reflect gyroids (not up close where he can punish, of course) just
to see if he'll pocket them, if he does you can just re-reflect it if he sends it back immediately, or be able to use shadow
balls more liberally. Also if he ever tries bowling ball offstage you can reflect it without putting yourself in harms way
for hilarious results.

On another note, the Game & Watch boards are discussing the Mewtwo matchup, anyone have any thoughts?
Personally I think it's close to even since they both have trouble landing solid hits unless one makes a mistake,
but G&W's bucket gives him a slight edge. Oh, and his windboxes send Mewtwo unnaturally high.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
havent met many villager so I cant really say about him. but I think @ Sonsa Sonsa said the reasonable, between 45/55 - 50/50 mewtwos favor.

Both has an edge over eachother so its basically a matter of outsmarting the opponent, but mewtwo DO is able to reflect everything villager is throwing at mewtwo! thanks by Mewtwos confusion, the reflect is way longer than Marios Capes.

including: Fair, Bair (reflected Bair shot do launch villager good), UpSmash (doesnt deal damage to villager, but it will not hurt you), Side Smash (the Bowling ball will travel back up at him if used under the edge IIRC, or hit him back if reflected right time at the ledge), Dash Attack, Gyros, the tree and his pocket!

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
It might not work against a fresh one, but could Mewtwo's nair beat it out? There's also Confusion...
My freind is a pretty darn good Ness and the Confusion worked for a bit (it's especially good for PK Fire), but if you go for it too much, a Ness can move the PK Thunder above and behind you for the hit during Confusion's endlag. Still kind of puts Mewtwo on the defensive since you'll have to know when to short hop Confusion if necessary. I guess another good mixup is to use Confusion to short hop over the PK Thunder and punish, though I'm not sure if the PK Thunder could catch up to ou on the endlag like it does on the ground.

I'll try Neutral Air today but I don't envision it blocking a PK Thunder.

I try to just teleport through to Ness to punish him.
After Day 1 of Mewtwo, I need to get better at this. I tried to use it kind of like Pikachu's Agility on the ground but I often ended up teleporting right into my opponent's face and getting K.O.'d or criticially hit (see what I did there?). I probably just need to get a better of idea of Teleport's deceptive range, but at what range do you recommend teleporting towards your opponent? Do you aim to teleport in front or behind your opponent?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
My freind is a pretty darn good Ness and the Confusion worked for a bit (it's especially good for PK Fire), but if you go for it too much, a Ness can move the PK Thunder above and behind you for the hit during Confusion's endlag. Still kind of puts Mewtwo on the defensive since you'll have to know when to short hop Confusion if necessary. I guess another good mixup is to use Confusion to short hop over the PK Thunder and punish, though I'm not sure if the PK Thunder could catch up to ou on the endlag like it does on the ground.

I'll try Neutral Air today but I don't envision it blocking a PK Thunder.

After Day 1 of Mewtwo, I need to get better at this. I tried to use it kind of like Pikachu's Agility on the ground but I often ended up teleporting right into my opponent's face and getting K.O.'d or criticially hit (see what I did there?). I probably just need to get a better of idea of Teleport's deceptive range, but at what range do you recommend teleporting towards your opponent? Do you aim to teleport in front or behind your opponent?

Ness isn't really a hard matchup for Mewtwo, Ness lacks the 2 things that make Mewtwo lose badly, good juggles and aggresive pressure. Sure PK Thunder can juggle but an air dodge + Up-B should make you go right through any PK Thunder and onto Ness.

As for your Teleport question, never ever use Teleport to approach an opponent. This isn't PM, Teleport has HUGE lag, you will almost always get punished. A Ness performing PK Thunder is a very special case which allows you to Teleport next to him, but almost no character in the roster has a special case such as this so avoid Teleport torwards your opponent unless you want to get hit.

Last edited:

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
:4ganondorf:

I thought Ganondorf vs Mewtwo was an interesting matchup and I did some testing in training mode. The following are approximate KO percents by move from the center of FD on the 3DS version. I didn't do everything, but I wanted to get a general idea.

For Ganon:
Warlock Punch: 60%
Reverse Warlock Punch: 12%
Uncharged f-smash: 75%
Charged f-smash: 35%
Uncharged up-smash: 81%
Charged up-smash: 46%
Dash attack: 118%
Up tilt: 39%
f-tilt:115%
d-tilt: 108%
bair: 103%
fair: 106%

For Mewtwo:
Shadow Ball: 120%
Uncharged f-smash: 121%
Charged f-smash: 81%
Uncharged d-smash: 128%
Charged d-smash: 85%
f-tilt: 100%
d-tilt: 310%
Sweetspotted up-tilt: 213%
Up throw: 158%
Fair: 148%
Sweetspotted bair: 183%
Dash attack: 209%
(I forgot to test up smash, which is a very strong attack. It would have probably KO'd earlier than most of these moves.)

When we think about an actual match-up we also have to factor in rage and attacks that land close to ledges, and then it looks even more dangerous for Mewtwo. If he slips up he could get KO'd at ridiculously low percents. That said, Ganondorf's KO moves are pretty hard to land and his crazy edgeguarding seems sort of lost on Mewtwo. (His floatiness and size make him an easy target, but his teleport and air dodge work wonders.) Also, Mewtwo will have an easier time comboing. But Ganon hits so hard and deals so much damage that I think this matchup is in his favor. Somewhere between 45:55 and 40:60, probably. In my experience, it seems more like 30:70, but Mewtwo is such a new character that we have to consider untapped potential.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:4olimar:
This one will be a lot shorter.

A single thrown Pikmin or smash attack walls out a fully charged Shadow Ball, somehow. This neutralizes Mewtwo's greatest weapon, and makes it ineffective in a lot of situations. Olimar has a longer grab range and his throws with the blue pikmin are extremely powerful. His smash attacks have more range, and his aerial attacks out-prioritize Mewtwo's. Confusion can reflect Pikmin, but one down b can rectify that situation. Olimar is also heavier with a smaller hurtbox. Mewtwo has a couple advantages, but they aren't much in the way of consolation. I'd place the matchup at 20:80 from what I've seen so far.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
woah
woah woah woah

20/80 is just not a ratio you throw out there unless you've extensively played the matchup and feel like you cant press any buttons without getting bodied for it

sure, mewtwo might be at a disadvantage, but its nowhere NEAR bad enough to be 20/80

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
:4ganondorf:

I thought Ganondorf vs Mewtwo was an interesting matchup and I did some testing in training mode. The following are approximate KO percents by move from the center of FD on the 3DS version. I didn't do everything, but I wanted to get a general idea.

For Ganon:
Warlock Punch: 60%
Reverse Warlock Punch: 12%
Uncharged f-smash: 75%
Charged f-smash: 35%
Uncharged up-smash: 81%
Charged up-smash: 46%
Dash attack: 118%
Up tilt: 39%
f-tilt:115%
d-tilt: 108%
bair: 103%
fair: 106%

For Mewtwo:
Shadow Ball: 120%
Uncharged f-smash: 121%
Charged f-smash: 81%
Uncharged d-smash: 128%
Charged d-smash: 85%
f-tilt: 100%
d-tilt: 310%
Sweetspotted up-tilt: 213%
Up throw: 158%
Fair: 148%
Sweetspotted bair: 183%
Dash attack: 209%
(I forgot to test up smash, which is a very strong attack. It would have probably KO'd earlier than most of these moves.)

When we think about an actual match-up we also have to factor in rage and attacks that land close to ledges, and then it looks even more dangerous for Mewtwo. If he slips up he could get KO'd at ridiculously low percents. That said, Ganondorf's KO moves are pretty hard to land and his crazy edgeguarding seems sort of lost on Mewtwo. (His floatiness and size make him an easy target, but his teleport and air dodge work wonders.) Also, Mewtwo will have an easier time comboing. But Ganon hits so hard and deals so much damage that I think this matchup is in his favor. Somewhere between 45:55 and 40:60, probably. In my experience, it seems more like 30:70, but Mewtwo is such a new character that we have to consider untapped potential.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:4olimar:
This one will be a lot shorter.

A single thrown Pikmin or smash attack walls out a fully charged Shadow Ball, somehow. This neutralizes Mewtwo's greatest weapon, and makes it ineffective in a lot of situations. Olimar has a longer grab range and his throws with the blue pikmin are extremely powerful. His smash attacks have more range, and his aerial attacks out-prioritize Mewtwo's. Confusion can reflect Pikmin, but one down b can rectify that situation. Olimar is also heavier with a smaller hurtbox. Mewtwo has a couple advantages, but they aren't much in the way of consolation. I'd place the matchup at 20:80 from what I've seen so far.
It's easy to compare the power of Mewtwo's and Ganon's moves, then see that Mewtwo is considerably
lighter and say Ganon wins, but there's more to this matchup than who KOs faster. Mewtwo has a projectile
and Ganondorf moves very slow, so it's very possible to tack on damage when he can't, or possibly even
KO him at a distance. Mewtwo also generally outmaneuvers Ganon and can escape his juggles more easily
than with other characters. Finally, Ganon is very susceptible to being gimped since he can barely alter his recovery
in any way without serious risk; Ganonciding is the biggest risk, but that's not always a good option.

Pikmin stop projectiles because they have hurtboxes. It's simple, anything with a hurtbox stops a projectile unless
it's piercing. Olimar definitely isn't easy for Mewtwo to get in on, but Confusion's area of effect and duration make
it more than adequate for reflecting Pikmin at a distance; only the whites are difficult to time, but they and any other Pikmin
except yellow are easily dislodged. It also reflects his smashes so he can't pivot them as much as he's like.
Once you've discouraged wanton Pikmin throwing, you just have to watch for his punishable grab and his aerials, which
are certainly quite good, but they don't "out-prioritize", they're just fairly fast and only the yellows can really challenge
Mewtwo's range. Oh, and Shadow Ball recoil can be a good trump card for getting in as well. Mewtwo has options to stymie
Olimar's usual game plan, it's far from 20:80.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I am pretty sure Mewtwo has an advantage over Olimar. If anything I think Olimar is one of Mewtwo's easiest matchups, there is almost nothing Olimar can do against a Mewtwo who is spacing correctly as all of Mewtwo's moves outspace Olimar's moves, not only that but most of Mewtwo's moves kill Pikmin in midair, as in F-Air can completely stop a smash from Olimar (by killing the Pikmin while in midair) AND hit Olimar too. If that wasn't bad enough you can reflect his smashes and specials.

Mewtwo has more range, more speed (attack speed), more kill power and basically all of his moves 1 hit Pikmins. I haven't played any good Olimar's yet but none of the FG Olimar's I've faced have even dealt more than 30% damage to me yet, Mewtwo seems to completelt shut down Oli.

Also I still don't know why people still think Ganon beats Mewtwo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom