• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Pokemon Stadium 2 Legal Stage discussion (no transformations)

Dakpo

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyCjxLKgn0Q&feature=youtu.be

This is an interesting thought about adding more legal stages for WiiU. I'm not sure if this could work for a large scale tournament, but I think it could be managed in a local tournament setting

PREFERRED METHOD

Grab 2 spectators/bi-standards and have them plug into the gamecube adapter. Then sync 1 wiimote *takes 10 seconds and is easy to carry*

Pros
Possibly the best neutral stage added to the roster?
Takes less than a minute to set up (45 seconds if done perfectly)
Can replace Lylat as a neutral
Can be done with 2 people
Game has built in start *camera refocus*

Cons
Requires 5 controllers (any combination of wiimote/gamepad/3ds/wiiUpro/Gamecube)
Takes about 50 seconds to set up
Would not be accessible to those who at home without 5 controls (could be practiced by make a custom stage replica)
Match starts with 10 less seconds due to extras having to self destruct

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Time that could be spent playing. What happens when you want to CP Neutral PS2 and can't find that last bystander or spare controller?

Time is money, especially since most medium-plus sized Smash tournaments run long anyways. I think regular PS2 should be a legal counterpick anyways.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
I say in 3v3s and 4v4s it should definitely be a neutral, but we need to conserve time, so I disagree with the idea of it being used in 1v1/2v2.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyCjxLKgn0Q&feature=youtu.be

This is an interesting thought about adding more legal stages for WiiU. I'm not sure if this could work for a large scale tournament, but I think it could be managed in a local tournament setting
PREFERRED METHOD
Grab 2 spectators/bi-standards and have them plug into the gamecube adapter. Then sync 1 wiimote *takes 10 seconds and is easy to carry*

Pros
Possibly the best neutral stage added to the roster?
Takes less than a minute to set up (45 seconds if done perfectly)
Can replace Lylat as a neutral
Can be done with 2 people
Game has built in start *camera refocus*

Cons
Requires 5 controllers (any combination of wiimote/gamepad/3ds/wiiUpro/Gamecube)
Takes about 50 seconds to set up
Would not be accessible to those who at home without 5 controls (could be practiced by make a custom stage replica)
Match starts with 10 less seconds due to extras having to self destruct
That extra time means this can only be used in smaller tournaments. In large tournaments adding 50 seconds to every other match would add waaay to much time to the entire tournament. For smaller tournaments this would work though, but i can see people not picking these stages simply because they don't want to hassle everyone to set up the controllers just so they can play this specific counterpick stage.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Of course, this assumes that you find Stadium 2 itself to be unfair or overly centralizing. Not everyone thinks that way, as @Budget Player Cadet_'s thread on Stadium 2 points out.

And either way, too time consuming for singles, MAYBE worth doing with the gamepad if you're in doubles already.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Sounds like too much trouble just for one stage. Kinda strange to have it only available in Bo5

Lebrawlski

Smash Rookie
I can't remember which tournament that I saw being streamed, but they had Norfair, Pyrosphere, and a couple of other stages legalized using the no transitions method. I would be all for it. I mean, seriously, only 50 seconds to set it up isn't really that much. Especially seeing how most tournaments run 2 stocks 5 minutes already. By comparison, look at Melee tournament legal rules; they have 4 stocks, 8 minutes. Sure it may take longer to kill in Smash 4, but there are many games that reach that time limit in Melee.

Last edited:

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
This stage should have been legal in Brawl. The transformations aren't that bad. If we have Pilotwings, PS2 being legal isn't really farfetched.
Just play on it with transformations.
I'm pretty sure in Brawl at least it was legal everywhere except the US

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I like the idea. I REALLY do. However, I honestly think that players simply wouldn't bother to go through the process just to play on the stage.

A-9

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoctorBored
Although I really like this stage, I would say it's still too much of an hassle. Creating a custom stage may be an easier alternative (although that is an entirely different discussion).

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
As much as I love PS2 in Project M, the amount of setup needed for PS2 in Smash Wii U takes up way too much time, and just isn't worth it.

Yikarur

Smash Master
PS2 is perfect the way it is. I would really love a stage with PS2's default layout though

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I honestly think the regular version with transformations is fine.

This game has no wall infinite chaingrabs like Dedede's in Brawl, so Ground is not a problem.
No more random tripping makes Ice a lot better.
Conveyor belts in Electric were also slowed down (and you can grab the ledges too if you start rolling offstage).
And faster falling speeds makes Flying more tolerable... yeah, this is probably the only annoying one.

I honestly think Pokemon Stadium 2 is perfect. The stage should be legal.

Last edited:

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Smash Attack has this stage legal you don't need 5 controllers just set up 3 CPUs at 300% and kill them add an extra stock and minute to the clock so stale moves aren't in effect and time isn't wasted in-game

Yikarur

Smash Master
Sounds terrible. As much as I like the layout something like that should never be tournament legal.

Kude

Smash Rookie
This looks really fantastic. The biggest problem will always be in a tournament when you need the 5 people. Having 5 controllers at one setup will be a pain. I suppose if one of the players take one controller, and the other takes two, all the have to do is hold a direction. It doesn't seem unreasonable, as long as you can get plenty of extra wiimotes and such, and you can make sure nobody accidentally pockets any.

Raijinken

Smash Master
This looks really fantastic. The biggest problem will always be in a tournament when you need the 5 people. Having 5 controllers at one setup will be a pain. I suppose if one of the players take one controller, and the other takes two, all the have to do is hold a direction. It doesn't seem unreasonable, as long as you can get plenty of extra wiimotes and such, and you can make sure nobody accidentally pockets any.
Or just use the gamepad.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Makes you wonder why an "Alpha" stage that designs each and every stage as Battlefield-esque wasn't considered or implemented.

Or make it like Mario Power Tennis and disable gimmicks and hazards.

Also, why isn't this scene active and contacting Nintendo support? People went to them to ask for a change in a really bad bug for Mario Kart 7 on Maka Wuhu. I'm sure if a lot of people swarmed Nintendo, they would try to work with development to implement more features to better the game. Although two very different scenarios, I do think it'd give them the push to go back to some development.

But at this point, it looks like we'll just be getting Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage (as well as tournament mode offline and online- looking forward to these).

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Or make it like Mario Power Tennis and disable gimmicks and hazards.
"You can still manage the appearance of items, but you cannot disable the damage caused by the stages. If we propose such an option, it might as well be PlayStation all-stars!" -Masahiro Sakurai 2013

Kude

Smash Rookie
Also, why isn't this scene active and contacting Nintendo support? People went to them to ask for a change in a really bad bug for Mario Kart 7 on Maka Wuhu. I'm sure if a lot of people swarmed Nintendo, they would try to work with development to implement more features to better the game.
I believe I read an article once where Sakuri stated he didn't want to make balancing patches based on what the competitive community wanted, because it wouldn't be fair to the casual community or something. I'll have to look up the article when it's not 1:30 though.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Definitely for 3v3s, 4v4s, and maybe even 2v2s, but...yeah, taking time is a huge negative. Maybe if you gather enough controllers and people during button checks?

But I just dont think PS2 transforming is even that bad, it should be legal! Maybe as a counterpick, but definitely legal. Ice doesnt trip anymore, ledge trumping helps with the electric transformation, and they only last aout 15 seconds or so before 30 more seconds on a great neutral stage.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Also, why isn't this scene active and contacting Nintendo support? People went to them to ask for a change in a really bad bug for Mario Kart 7 on Maka Wuhu. I'm sure if a lot of people swarmed Nintendo, they would try to work with development to implement more features to better the game. Although two very different scenarios, I do think it'd give them the push to go back to some development.
A bug is something that should be fixed.

The addition of the option to remove hazards is not a bug. It's a feature request.

As you said, different scenarios. I'm sure that people nonetheless make these requests

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
You spent so much time thinking "Can we"
You didn't think "Should we"

Is all the hassle and the 50 second setup + 10 seconds off the match really worth just playing on PS2?
Just use the normal form.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
A bug is something that should be fixed.

The addition of the option to remove hazards is not a bug. It's a feature request.

As you said, different scenarios. I'm sure that people nonetheless make these requests
Right.

A bug that they really should fix is the c-stick problem. Hope with Mewtwo, they sneak in a fix for that. No matter how hard I try, I tend to accidentally use Nairs instead of Bairs or Fairs. It's really annoying.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Right.

A bug that they really should fix is the c-stick problem. Hope with Mewtwo, they sneak in a fix for that. No matter how hard I try, I tend to accidentally use Nairs instead of Bairs or Fairs. It's really annoying.
Oh please. It's not even just N-airs, I shouldn't have to flick my stick just to keep moving where I want to go.
That came out sounding pretty sexual.

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
Hi
amazing idea
but is not neccesary put 5 controller,you can play 8 player with 2 controls (and select the stage withouth hazards)

Top Bottom