• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Rival? What pokemon hsould he use?

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Aight people i think we've all read the thread of the confirmed character list for brawl and something there caught my eye. POKEMON RIVAL!
And i thought hmm.... aint that an awesome idea.
but i know some people are probably saying what the hell do we need him for but i want to hear your views on this. What pokemon do you think he should use or if you think he should even be involved?

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
i dont like the sound of a pokemon rival, as he would take attention away from the coolness that is pokemon trainer

that being said, he should have three pokemon from another generation. i noticed on some of the "leaks", he has different pokemon from different generations, but that doesnt appeal to me. i would like to see treecko/marshtomp/blaziken, personally.

edit: it is a shame that meowth has been confirmed as a pokeball character, otherwise a "team rocket" trainer would have been awesome. something like meowth/koffing/arbok, i dont know

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I never thought of team rocket trainer or grunt but it would have been good. But on the subject of taking away the attention from pkm trainer i odubt it i mean two headsare better than 1 right?

:034:

Smash Hero
I too like the original idea that is Trainer. I think another one would take away the gimmick.

But, hypothetically, he'd use starters from another generation, right? So it could be Chikorita, Quilava and Feraligatr. Or maybe Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken? Or Piplup, Monferno and Torterra...

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
I too like the original idea that is Trainer. I think another one would take away the gimmick.

But, hypothetically, he'd use starters from another generation, right? So it could be Chikorita, Quilava and Feraligatr. Or maybe Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken? Or Piplup, Monferno and Torterra...
the Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken combo and Piplup, Monferno and Torterra = no since it look like the the Red PT team i would prefer the Chikorita, Quilava and Feraligatr combo or another that dont have the evolution mach up

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's not an awesome idea at all.

Pokemon Trainer should be the only one of his type. Otherwise it ruins how awesome and unique Pokemon Trainer is.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I wouldn't mind another pokemon trainer, but I don't want it to be just "rival." I want it to be either Gary Oak or Lance the Dragon Master.

Don't you guys see? Having another pk trainer is a way for 3 pokemon to get in and not just one. Basically...

3 pokemon as one character slot >>>> 1 pokemon character slot.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
While it seems like pokemon Rival wouldn't be a great character (since we have pokemon trainer already) it would be a good way to include three more pokemon that didn't make it as separate characters.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
No I hate the idea. I'm tired of Pokemon characters. Just bring back Jiggles and Mewtwo and we're done.
I agree to this. Despite only having two slots filled with Pokemon reps so far, we have four playable Pokemon in general already. With two more expected to return that is by far enough representation. Unless we discuss Mewtwo being replaced which to me is 40/60 odds.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I think pokemon rival is a good idea and on the subject of spoiling and taking the spotlight from pkm trainer, pokemon rival should be unlocked later on in the game giving you time to enjoy pkm trainer. Plus i liked mewtwo but jigglypuff was just terrible for me i think rival would be good to include a darker side of pokemon and add more pokemin into the brawl aswell.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind another pokemon trainer, but I don't want it to be just "rival." I want it to be either Gary Oak or Lance the Dragon Master.

Don't you guys see? Having another pk trainer is a way for 3 pokemon to get in and not just one. Basically...

3 pokemon as one character slot >>>> 1 pokemon character slot.
Doesnt Gary fall under the category of pokemon rival, i only said rival instead of gary because its a different rival each generation of pokemon. But having 3 extra pokemon in one slot is the reason i want another trainer in. Instead of him being a clone.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
time for my rant...... huh... here we go.

[RANT]

PT. A different rep for pokemon that reps the old games to the max. why a 2nd? they have achieved what they wanted to achieve. Why can't people just be happy with what we have? The next thing people want. Search your feelings. you know we have PT. why another carbon copy. the max they will go will be a female trainer the female with girly pokemon accessories. we have PT. be happy with him. Don't think about the next thing. Brawl does not want or need a 2nd P. PT is achieving all he wants to achieve. [/RANT]

EDIT - don't double post

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
How many poemon reps are there in brawl as it is and throwing 1 extra isnt going to do much damage. People want so many zelda reps like Link, WW Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, Wolf link and midna. now thats over the top but adding pokemon rival in whether it be gary, steven or any other rival from the series its only making the popularity of pokemon increase in a positive way instead of making a negative effect.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
lol yeah it would. Zelda is a major video game series for Nintendo. So is pokemon, but Poke does not need anymore reps. PT has achieved so much for the Poke series. Why a 2nd PT? brawl does not need it. it is a game of superstars not minor rivals to PT that nobody cares about

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Thats true i agree with you on that, no need to go too far when you have already accomplished so much as it is, I just thought it would be a cool idea, and thanks for not flaming i like having a decent discussion with opposing views without flaming.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
But it is a good chance for more pokemon in (sorry for double posting again) like i know that everyone has more than 3 favourite pokemon but another trainer will include 3 more pokemon with different movesets instead of being clones.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Man oh man thats the purest form of the truth ive ever read i agree with that again. I would want lucario to replace mewtwo in the fact because mewtwo now is just outdated. and pokemon in brawl needs an unpdate, same way i dont want jigglypuff included.

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
Lucario for brawl xD
His much better then the rival in any ways, and like the guys over me stated: "more pokémon the trainer. and i totally agree, therefore lucario ;)

But why does people always say that he should take over for mewtwo? they are two completely different character, like the B move is digfferent, lucas would be like ness and lucas pk thunder meaning you can control it, but its not as powerful as shadow ball (just an idea)

Top Bottom