• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon General Discussion

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think one big reason we don't have a lot of activity in this room anymore is because we don't really have a thread where you can post little things (ex in-game team rates, random Pokemon stuff, and some other things I can't remember because I'm typing this up at midnight) and I think it'd be great if we just had a thread for this instead of the occasional thread that pops up and gets 1 response and is never seen or heard from again. This is better than not being able to post random tidbits that don't belong in any other thread but don't need their own thread either. Battle Tower has a thread like this for comp but we don't have one for just whatever.

It'll also probably get people to post more since we're lacking in that department.

Let's go I guess.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This is a really good idea, I think the PC has really been lacking something like this. I've been trying to think of a kind of thread that could act like this, and I guess I was thinking too complicated.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
My friend is convinced Fairy Azumarill is going to be the Best Thing of All Time. Assuming Azumarill still runs Ice Punch, y/n?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You wouldn't even need Ice Punch. On paper Water/Fairy is enough coverage if the rumors are correct.

Waterfall/Fairything/Superpower/[Aqua Jet/Fast Fairy] would be wonderful.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Ulti, you should totally hook me up with this rumor of type coverage that Fairy has. I am very curious about it.

Also, is Fast Fairy actually a thing or are you just hoping it exists? I kind of fear it if it actually does.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You wouldn't even need Ice Punch. On paper Water/Fairy is enough coverage if the rumors are correct.

Waterfall/Fairything/Superpower/[Aqua Jet/Fast Fairy] would be wonderful.
Main reason to assume Ice Punch is that we don't know any Fairy-type moves. Ice Punch definitely wouldn't be a bad choice, unless there ended up being some absurd 140 BP no drawback move.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
IIRC, the rumor stated Fairy is super effective against Dragon, Dark and Fighting, weak to Poison and Steel, and resisted by Fire and Psychic. Coupled with the already known fact it's immune to Dragon. Also priority Fairy attack should be called Twinkle-Toes.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yes but what if Fairy lacks strong physical STAB? Then Ice Punch would (sadly) still be needed. That's what Wave is getting at.

I love Mawile

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If nothing else, it could get Drain Kiss. Which, while week, recovers 100% of the damage dealt to an opponent.

I'm ecstatic if the rumors are true and Mawile is part Fairy.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Do you guys remember that project I was working on until I switched network provides and they didn't allow me to port forward their built in firewall, so I couldn't get Pokemon Online server running?

It was crazy, I would have loved to see those designs in action. The first batch had a clear winner because of Blaine with V-Generate and Drought, but I don't think he would have stood a chance to the Steel/Dragon with Drizzle. The game would have been fun to see the limits you could really push Pokemon power without destroying it entirely.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Lol, I remember that counter game. I remember that huge argument that was caused when I put a counter but the rule was that Hypnosis never missed and that it is automatic that a pokemon has to be asleep for exactly 2 turns. But ya, I'd participate.

metaknave

Smash Apprentice
So I finished getting my shiny Magmortar up to level 100 and I'd like some moveset opinions. It has a perfect attack IV, great speed IVs (27-28), and passable special attack (11-12). Right now, its special attack is 335 and its attack is 252. Fire Blast and Thunderbolt are definites, but what about physical attacks to catch special walls off guard? I'm thinking Earthquake and either Brick Break or Dual Chop, but I'd figure I'd ask.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I don't think two physical moves is a good idea. You have low attack and bad type coverage. HP Ice / Cross Chop would be much better.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He's working with what I'm assuming is a legitimate shiny, meaning he wants to work with what he gots (really doubt it has HP Ice and can't use CC)

I run Dual Chop on my in-game Electivire, it's pretty underwhelming. Earthquake and Brick Break are better IMO.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Friend came up with an idea for a Rainbow Eeveelution. Normal-type, ability gives it STAB with every move. Movepool would be fairly standard moves from every type, nothing extravagant like Power Whip or Doom Desire or whatever. What do you guys think?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The three 65/65/60 stats would have to be in the defenses to make it viable, but it'd work if that was the case. It'd just be incredibly frail.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Eevee stat distribution screw is something that would be determined by the answer to whether or not it's at the sake stage as the others or if it's intended to be higher.

Orrrrr it could be the result of a very special happenstance, like something that happens once per game file. That would warrant it a sort of legendary status, which would give reason to give it buffs of some kind (or just a different distribution altogether).

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I was thinking it, but I didn't want to say it.

But what I'm actually talking about is like a sidequest which focuses on Eevee and its typing anomally. It would probably a mystery gift thing much like the Celebi sidequest in HGSS.

And the ending of it would lead to the Eevee you get at the beginning turning into this specific eeveelution. The idea would be like an awakened form, but only in terms of story.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
New Smog is out, and they did a cool article on dual-typed moves, which I believe was one of the rumors about XY? I forget.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue29/dualtypemoves

EDIT: Reading up on balanced hackmons and this is ****ING INSANE
They say:

SolarBeam
Ah, SolarBeam—an attack quite literally created for the sun. Unfortunately, it just lacks the coverage of, well, a coverage move and the healing powers of Giga Drain. However, being so based around photosynthesis and the word "Solar" being in its very name, it is likely that it would be Grass / Fire in X&Y. All of the Steel-types would be roasted, with nothing being able to escape from the wrath of Chlorophyll sweepers. Venusaur would let out a cry as the almighty sun god, while
the true deer god
Sawsbuck would be the master of the sun. Once again, it would be one hell of a "**** you" to Steel-types!
But wouldn't steel be resistant to the grass part of solarbeam, thus it would deal neutral damage to them?

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
New Smog is out, and they did a cool article on dual-typed moves, which I believe was one of the rumors about XY? I forget.

I love alternate metagames. I dunno about anyone else, but the standard metagames are frikkin stale as heck right now, so fan-made metagames are always a breath of fresh air. STABmons, Gen NEXT, glitchmons, and Create-a-Pokemon (CAPmons) are all pretty cool.

Unfortunately I'm 100% fed up with the CAP creation process and the people involved in it (as well as their stubborn unwillingness to nerf previous creations), but it's still neat to see what they come up with.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

How did this get an article? This is so horribly written and shows a clear misunderstanding of how the game's mechanics actually work.

Muddy Water would not hit those who are immune to ground types as it would be ground. In every game that runs immunity effects, this is how this situation is handled and requireing the user to be immune to both types is needlessly unintutive. There is no reason for Thunder to be water type. Blizzard has no justifiable reason to be flying. This is like a bad blog post.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
I'm pretty Hype for these Mega-evolutions now. Amphabulous for best Mega. Hopefully we get alot more Mega evos.

Maybe even a Charizard that ends up being Fire/Bug Fighting Dragon

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Dude, if we don't get a MegaCharizard that has a Dragon second typing I'm going to be upset. This is the perfect opportunity to give us the Dragon secondary typing everybody's been waiting for for Charizard since gen 1.

(That said, we probably won't get it. :()

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Doesn't matter even if he does get it.

He'll still be 4x weak to SR thanks to Mega mechanics.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The reason I'd like to see Charizard has pretty much nothing to do with mechanics or weaknesses and pretty much everything to do with the fact that it just makes more sense than flying, and that Fire/Dragon is a type combo I'd like to see happen. I only play in-game, and in-game trainers that use SR are pretty rare (and effective users of it would be, I think, almost impossible to find).

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Recent replay of me beating one of the top dudes on the ladder with his cute little posse in tow: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-52447799 (me being protectdahouse ofc)

Was hilarious cause he/everyone else though he was such hot **** for that one overpredict on my part. Watching his reaction change from cocky ass hole to "oh **** I'm actually gonna lose" was priceless.

Was a good match regardless.

Top Bottom