• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Fan Comic Project

finalark

SNORLAX
I've been thinking about this for a while, but I decided that it's ultimately something I would greatly enjoy doing in my spare time alongside my fellow Pokemon fans. Make a web comic based off of the franchise!

Now, what I would like to do is write a comic that retells the story of Pokemon Red and Blue but develops the characters into believable human beings and paints the Pokemon world into a more realistic place, exploring some of the dangers and issues that would arise from certain Pokemon existing in the real world. But just because I'm going for a serious and dramatic style doesn't mean that there can't be any laughs. In my opinion one of the best ways to keep a story interesting is by mixed good comedy with good drama.

However, I am not an artist and given the format that I'd like to see this in this causes some problems. So I'm looking for two things, artists to draw the comic and other writers to bring more flavor and make it into a group project. And I'm hoping that we can agree that everyone has a say in everything.

If anyone is interested in this at all, thank you.

Currently interested:

~Celebi~/Roacherman (I think that's how you spell it) - Writing
charmander1065 - art
Lordof theMorning - Writer/Editor

JOE!

Smash Hero
Mewtwo will need some SERIOUS writer's intervention

if he's the bad guy, and has limitless psionic power, then he can like clench all your blood vessels in kill you in 18 different ways at once with a thought

finalark

SNORLAX
Mewtwo will need some SERIOUS writer's intervention

if he's the bad guy, and has limitless psionic power, then he can like clench all your blood vessels in kill you in 18 different ways at once with a thought
I'm not sure about Mewtwo at this point, I know I would like to use him as a major character. However, right now I'm more interested in trying to get people on board for this project.

And I was actually thinking about having Giovanni being the big bad, given that that's his role in the original games.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm interested in being one of the people to write this story.

Finalark... your signature kinda creeps me out o_O

JOE!

Smash Hero
just saying, if youre making pokes in a serious light with "dangerous" pokes....

psychics will be ....OP....XD

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I'm a pretty good writer and brainstormer if you need anymore of those, and I've often thought that someone should make a real life believable retelling of pokemon, and that it would be amazing if done right. I might excel more as a editor than anything else. I'm good at helping to develop a story that has been roughly planned out.

How do you plan to organize this among a bunch of different people? The first thing that comes to my head would be Skype.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm a pretty good writer and brainstormer if you need anymore of those, and I've often thought that someone should make a real life believable retelling of pokemon, and that it would be amazing if done right. I might excel more as a editor than anything else. I'm good at helping to develop a story that has been roughly planned out.

Excellent, we can always use more help.

How do you plan to organize this among a bunch of different people? The first thing that comes to my head would be Skype.
I created a group and I'm going to send out some invitations. Skype, Xat or some other free IM program would be very useful to our needs like you said.

finalark

SNORLAX
We also need some digital artists for cleaning up the sketches, adding color, ect. before the actual page of the comic is posted. So... any digital artists out there interested?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Very interesting idea, I'm just going to move this over to the Lab since it's a project.

I'd help out, but my creative skills are severely lacking, unfortunately.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
We totally gotta' get Spire in on this. He does a little bit of digital art, doesn't he (judging by his image of Calderan)?

While I'm interested in being a writer, I don't quite understand what we'd be doing. Are we making the captions in each section or just setting out the story which the artists will then draw and bring to life?

finalark

SNORLAX
We totally gotta' get Spire in on this. He does a little bit of digital art, doesn't he (judging by his image of Calderan)?
I don't know, I'll shoot him a message.

While I'm interested in being a writer, I don't quite understand what we'd be doing. Are we making the captions in each section or just setting out the story which the artists will then draw and bring to life?
If you're going to be a writer, expect to write the dialog and set up the story.

Basically, the writers plan the story and give the characters personalities and words then the artists bring it to life through their art and interpretation of events.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I would be very interested in participating on the art side of things. I don't consider myself a good writer, I sometimes have good ideas I just don't execute them well. I'm all for doing art if we can get talented writers.

finalark

SNORLAX
I would be very interested in participating on the art side of things. I don't consider myself a good writer, I sometimes have good ideas I just don't execute them well. I'm all for doing art if we can get talented writers.
Excellent, we defiantly need more artists. Just out of curiosity, do you have a place where I can view some of your art?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I might be able to write if there aren't too many for the job already.

This seems like an interesting idea :bee: So for the most part we'll be keeping true to the R/B games aside from character personalities? Does everyone on the project collectively decide which pokemon the protagonist catches/which starter he gets?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'll try out some sketches here and there. Keep in mind that I cannot for the life of me draw anime characters, so someone else is going to have to do that. I'll do backgrounds and Pokémon.

finalark

SNORLAX
I might be able to write if there aren't too many for the job already.

This seems like an interesting idea :bee: So for the most part we'll be keeping true to the R/B games aside from character personalities? Does everyone on the project collectively decide which pokemon the protagonist catches/which starter he gets?
We decide collectively how things will happen within the story.

I'll try out some sketches here and there. Keep in mind that I cannot for the life of me draw anime characters, so someone else is going to have to do that. I'll do backgrounds and Pokémon.
It's alright if you can't do anime, we haven't even fully settled on a specific art style yet or anything.

So you say you want pokemon to look lifelike in this comic. So they wouldn't look like

?
Yes, I would like to 'mons to be realistic looking. At least, as realistic as we can get without them looking just weird.

finalark

SNORLAX
So let's say you got a Charizard, you want it to more like a more real dragon right?

Something like:

Right?
... Did you pull that pic right out the Four Edition DnD manual?

Anyway, I would like the monsters to still resemble their original art (and match up to the dex specifications) while at the same time looking more like real animals and monsters. So yeah, you're on the right track.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
... Did you pull that pic right out the Four Edition DnD manual?

Anyway, I would like the monsters to still resemble their original art (and match up to the dex specifications) while at the same time looking more like real animals and monsters. So yeah, you're on the right track.
What?

...no I just googled "dragon" on google and I got this picture XD

And ok, I get what you mean by more realistic now.

I wonder what we'll do with Polywrath when we get there XD.

finalark

SNORLAX
What?

...no I just googled "dragon" on google and I got this picture XD
Oh, okay. Because I could have sworn that I've seen that picture in one of the 4th Ed. DnD books.

I wonder what we'll do with Polywrath when we get there XD.
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Hm.... I should probably set up a time for everyone involved to get together and chat in real time about exactly what we would like to do with this.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm ok with drawing a more realistic looking pokemon here and there like in the manga (gyarados looks fierce) but trying to alter every pokemon would just be tedious. Plus, I like the cuter looks of some pokemon.

This is just my take on things of course.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Its one thing to make pokemon look a bit more realistic, but i dont think i want to/could make
every panel of a comic, ahaha

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm ok with drawing a more realistic looking pokemon here and there like in the manga (gyarados looks fierce) but trying to alter every pokemon would just be tedious. Plus, I like the cuter looks of some pokemon.

This is just my take on things of course.
Well it's ultimately up to the artists, I just want you to know that I'm going for a more realistic approach.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I think I could probably contribute as a writer. When I was in middle school, I wrote a Pokemon story once and stuck my friends in it as characters. :) But yeah, I can help out with the story and what-not. I can draw too, but I'm only really good at little pencil sketches and I don't think I can draw anime people very well.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Does anyone have any ideas for the story behind this yet? Our writers should try to get together over AIM or something to discuss this.

finalark

SNORLAX
Does anyone have any ideas for the story behind this yet? Our writers should try to get together over AIM or something to discuss this.
We've already got that covered, all of the writer's are getting together tomorrow over Xat. I have a general idea for the story and we've all been working on it.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Okay, so we met together and discussed a few things like the setting and the opening. finalark's gonna be holding another meeting for the artists soon, so just letting you know that.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Okay, so we met together and discussed a few things like the setting and the opening. finalark's gonna be holding another meeting for the artists soon, so just letting you know that.
^this, and if my relatives hadn't annoyed me so much, I would've contributed more

When will we meet next time? Friday right?

UberMario

Smash Master
I may be interested in working on this for character development, maybe art too if I can.

Top Bottom