• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokedex Entry 12: R.O.B.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yup yup, finishing out the top tiers y'all!

i'll just say that squirtle does well up close and doesn't mind campiness. rob's blindspots below and behind are exploitable for squirtle.

ivysaur is outcamped and whoever spaces best up close will win, plain and simple.

charizard doesn't like camping but can get through it. zard does well up close, although i don't think it's as well as squirtle does. but rock smash, flamethrower, grabs, and jabs are all very welcome against rob.

i'll play any robs, hopefully the connection is decent. otherwise i won't stick around too long. :p

the thread in the rob board:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5559890

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
well, my wii's unavailable right now, how about after i get home from school? around 1:30 pm, central.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
For one, I like fighting Squirtle. If I had to choose any of the three Pokemon to fight, I would choose Squirtle. He's just...so easy to kill imo. His quickness doesn't help when Squirtle has almost no answer for spotdodge to d-smash.

Ivysaur's range is somewhat annoying, but manageable. If you start off with Ivysaur, you can do the Bullet Seed lock somewhat easily on R.O.B. to get free damage. Generally, though, Ivysaur is boned.

Charizard is the major problem. His rock smash ruins R.O.B.'s camping game by letting Charizard approach somewhat easily. Combine this with Charizard's awesome grab range, powerful smashes, and deceptive range makes him a threat. His glide attack is somewhat easier to get through than Meta Knight'ss (I think), so R.O.B.'s b-air does wonders against a glide-recovering Charizard. R.lO.B. can also f-air combo Charizard if he is fast enough so that the rock smash does not come out. Also, glide-tossing is brutal against Charizard because he's so big.

As long as R.O.B. doesn't use his projectiles as a crutch in this game, R.O.B. has a pretty decent advantage.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
eh idk about squirtle. he's my best so i could play you later, if ya like!

yeah, i kinda agree on ivysaur. but i don't have a good ivysaur so just wait for onxy to come in and try to explain how ivysaur matches up.

charizards don't glide anywhere near as frequently as pit or mk. and glide attack is more for a surprise, it's not a main focus like mk's glide attack.

rock smash isn't zard's only answer to rob's fair lol. come on now. fair comes out quick and nair is also an option. bair is even better if zard is facing the other way. and fly has super armor at the beginning of the attack, so it's also an option.

regardless, rock smash's hitbox actually comes out very quickly if you hit the rock, which also comes out...really quickly. frame data here would be really helpful though.

can't zard just shield the oncoming gyro and then grab the approaching rob?

ivysaur to rack up damage at low percent and then charizard to get the kill and stock tank seems like a nice strategy. rob has some trouble killing. some robs have to save a move specifically to kill. identify which move this is and it'll be easier to keep an eye out for it. and zard is heavy, so...yeah.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
eh idk about squirtle. he's my best so i could play you later, if ya like!

yeah, i kinda agree on ivysaur. but i don't have a good ivysaur so just wait for onxy to come in and try to explain how ivysaur matches up.

charizards don't glide anywhere near as frequently as pit or mk. and glide attack is more for a surprise, it's not a main focus like mk's glide attack.

rock smash isn't zard's only answer to rob's fair lol. come on now. fair comes out quick and nair is also an option. bair is even better if zard is facing the other way. and fly has super armor at the beginning of the attack, so it's also an option.

regardless, rock smash's hitbox actually comes out very quickly if you hit the rock, which also comes out...really quickly. frame data here would be really helpful though.

can't zard just shield the oncoming gyro and then grab the approaching rob?

ivysaur to rack up damage at low percent and then charizard to get the kill and stock tank seems like a nice strategy. rob has some trouble killing. some robs have to save a move specifically to kill. identify which move this is and it'll be easier to keep an eye out for it. and zard is heavy, so...yeah.
W-w-w-w-wait, what? Why on Earth would a R.O.B. be approaching Charizard as he is charging his gyro? If Charizard shields the gyro, he'll probably be receiving a laser to the face and then another gyro. :) Use your Rock Smash to approach, it's much better.

R.O.B.s kill with n-air. You can't really avoid the n-air, especially Charizard. A smart R.O.B. will only use the n-air once it's kill percentage, and at that point, R.O.B. can strategically spam n-airs until Charizard gets hit and dies.

And the only thing that really contests R.O.B.'s fair in the air against Charizard is the rock smash if it came out early enough. Charizard's other aerials aren't simply fast enough or reach enough. (f-air comes out slightly but R.O.B.'s disjointed arms poke through) I won't be attacking you while your back is faced to me, and I won't fall for your Up+B and just airdodge it and punish you for doing something foolish like that.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Am I the only person on the entire Smash boards who actually uses the aerial dodge?!

Charizard92

Smash Champion
(facepalm) OK, obviously I'm not the best (I'll admit that), but COME ON PEOPLE! The aerial dodge has to have it's uses. How come I don't see it mentioned all the time (Charizard can air dodge projectiles, and possibly the nair too). This should be considered from now on.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
The problem about ROB is that he telegraphes himself a little in the air, not as much as ivy, but he does, so aerials are not too good kill moves.
If im not wrong, the Nair has a blind spot on ROBs back, which chariarizard can capitalize very well with his Bair, ROBs bair covers that area, but its slow on the startup.
The good news for PT is that all pokemon kill very well at the top of the screen, which is the best way to kill because his recovery is just crazy for his weight

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
W-w-w-w-wait, what? Why on Earth would a R.O.B. be approaching Charizard as he is charging his gyro? If Charizard shields the gyro, he'll probably be receiving a laser to the face and then another gyro. :) Use your Rock Smash to approach, it's much better.

R.O.B.s kill with n-air. You can't really avoid the n-air, especially Charizard. A smart R.O.B. will only use the n-air once it's kill percentage, and at that point, R.O.B. can strategically spam n-airs until Charizard gets hit and dies.

And the only thing that really contests R.O.B.'s fair in the air against Charizard is the rock smash if it came out early enough. Charizard's other aerials aren't simply fast enough or reach enough. (f-air comes out slightly but R.O.B.'s disjointed arms poke through) I won't be attacking you while your back is faced to me, and I won't fall for your Up+B and just airdodge it and punish you for doing something foolish like that.
i should have specified. i was referring to your glide toss comment. throw the gyro, shield it, rob will now be directly in front of zard in range for a grab. at that point it's kind of fastest reflexes/best timing will win.

nair is still punishable. it's difficult to hit a shielded opponent with it in a way that won't allow charizard to punish with a grab, rock smash, tilt, running usmash. you don't have to avoid it, just shield it and react quickly.

you know, fair really is a difficult move for zard to counter, in the right circumstances. by that i mean off stage. this is what i was referring to when i mentioned fly as an option. naturally it isn't the best option, but correct timing will protect charizard and help him recover. naturally best to use underneath the ledge. it's an option, and should not be expected since it isn't the best option to use most of the time. and there's no way to air dodge the fly super armor when you are in the process of fairing, which is what a smart charizard will do. that's the whole point of fly. to take the hit, counter attack, and recover at the same time.

if fair hits without knockback (the fringe of the flame), the opponent will still take some hitstun. so in fair vs fair, it depends on both exact spacing and timing, so it's difficult to judge who would ultimately win that scuffle.

otherwise, if rob wants to approach with it, zard can just shieldgrab it. another option is a single foxtrot backward to sh bair. or even rock smash. both of these require zard to react quickly. zard's bair also has good range, and zard's tail is a disjointed hitbox. the wing may be as well, but it's difficult for me to test. rock smash's hitbox hits above him as well as in front, so zard is covered well.

an interesting note is that it appears when an attack hits the rock during its initial frames, it'll act as if charizard had headbutted it and collapse it into shards prematurely, and hit the opponent. and since the opponent broke the rock himself, they will already be in the proximity and take a good deal of damage. it appears that rock smash's range is greater than rob's fair, so it's something to look into.

basically, charizard wants to avoid direct aerial combat with rob's fair. but he's not helpless if he does. and rob's fair will not be very effective on a grounded zard, so you'll have to get him in the air first. imo, charizard should only go aerial when rob is on the ground, with bair, rock smash, and flamethrower. even then, it shouldn't be zard's main gameplan.

i'm looking forward to getting some good rob action with this pokedex entry. :bee:

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
btw... charizards dtilt outranges ROBs dsmash... right???
and i think ROB takes a lot of damage from bullet seed because of his weight... but ivy must very careful with fire attacks

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
I have some experience against R.O.B and heres my word for it.

Squirtle- I feel that R.O.B is big in size and Squirtle is a fast charater that can use some really good mind games. If you dont attack and R.O.B puts up his shield, then the next time you use an aerial, he would get hit and not put up his shield. Its really not as easy as it sounds and remember that R.O.B is a heavy character. Squirtle can also glide toss the Gyro is you use that to your advantage and being a small character. R.O.B will have a hard time hitting him with the lazers. You have to watch out for R.O.B's down smash though because that could put a damper on Squirtle and the wall of pain R.O.B can do as well.

60:40 in Squirtles favor

Ivysaur- Ivysaur is kind of slow compared to Squirtle and you really need to space your aerials right to effectivly face a good R.O.B player. If your right next him and R.O.B attempts to use a down smash. Then use a bullet seed to punish R.O.B. He is very hard to edgeguard because Ivysaur doesnt reallly have any horizontal KO moves and R.O.B can hover Ivysaur easily.

45:55 in R.O.Bs favor but I maybe wrong on that one.

Charizard- Charizard has alot of range with the tilts and smash attacks but can be easily targeted because of its size. R.O.B takes complete advantage when hes in the air since Charizard is generally slow in the air but Charizard does have alot of power and knock back with his aerials. Using a supise rock smash could put alot of damage on R.O.B when you play it right and dont bother using flamethrower since again, R.O.B can hover right over Charizard. Again R.O.B is a big target as well and can be easily spiked by charizard.

50:50 neutral

infernovia

Smash Ace
Does squirtle have anything against spotdodge -> dsmash? I am pretty sure dsmash gets rid of most of squirtle's ground game.

Onxy

Smash Lord
As far as Ivy goes, she out ranges ROB in melee combat. Her Razor Leaf cuts through the Gyro. Her grab is long. Her attacks are overall quicker (not as spammy as a few attacks). She is weak to fire. It isn't too much of a deal (the knock from a Nair can hardly kill Ivy at 120%) but still makes a difference here and there. ROB is a big target, so it's much easier to combo him/Bullet Seed.. With some of these things alone would make the matchup be a neutral.......except that ROB can zone Ivy if he gets the chance too. I need to fight more ROBs, so maybe I can find something. It might still be a neutral, because of ROBs size (any where between 45 - 55 to 50 - 50)
(I wouldn't recommend playing online vs. a good ROB. You can't take advantage of things like cutting through Gyros with your Leafs, or punish spot dodges with Bullet Seed.

Typh also thinks that PT has an advantage, so ask him why, because I don't know either. Either way I would say Squirtle does the best in this matchup. Charizard easily does the worst. Maybe not, remember I suck as Zard.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
squirtle absolutely *****, utilt over and over and over again, and once he's out uair uair uair uair. so heavy. bair chains, you can hit it multiple times, dair ***** his spotdodge, he's easy to grab (and therefore kill), and you can follow him in the air well due to squirtle's great air control, if you get his gyro you can ****ing glide toss across FD

ivysaur, due to the spotdodge-y nature of rob, can land some great upsmash and bullet seed opportunities, and since rob is heavy bullet seed does a massive amount of damage, nair chains into nair (and twice again if you're under a platform and can land), nair to uair or fair depending on how they DI is usually a guaranteed hit, his slow up-b usually means you can land some awesome up-b kills since they like to fly above you when recovering, the "weak against fire" thing doesnt really matter honestly

charizard does decently, flamethrower works well, and thats all i have to say

i love fighting ROB

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, I really don't have a problem with R.O.B. with Pokemon Trainer. At least not as much as other high tiers. Charizard can pull off a lot of grab release combos on R.O.B., and Squirtle can utilt and Shellshift all over the place. R.O.B. can punish Squirtle's Shellshift combos fairly easily with a dsmash, though. As for Ivysaur, Bullet Seed can **** if you can actually hit with it, but again, R.O.B. can punish that easily if you miss. I use more ftilts for spacing against R.O.B. All in all, I find Charizard to do the best against R.O.B. by far.

Onxy

Smash Lord
People, there is far more to Ivy than just Bullet Seed. Jeez...

Bleeper Hit

Smash Cadet
My squirtle actually has trouble with ROB in the air. F air always seems to get me before I can touch him.

Sudai

Stuff here
So, I play both ROB and PT (I don't really post much here as PT is someone I dink around with from time to time, not play as a lot), but I've never played a good ROB as PT or vice versa..but here's where I think the match-up stands with just the knowledge I have.

ROB will make you approach him as all 3 pokemon. That's a given.

Approach Game:

Squirtle;
-Squirtle is fast but his lack of range and disjointed hitboxes make it hard to approach ROB through his disjointed FTilt and UTilt. If a squirtle does manage to get in, DSmash is quick and will throw you out of range again. Your top priority when within range will be to get ROB into the air asap via a throw, UTilt, or any other means to pop him up. The best option to get in is aerial from about 50degrees. A good ROB will see this and will attempt to block this some way. A common choice is retreating FAirs.

Ivy;
-So long as you space the BAir well, ROBs range is little to worry about when approaching. Mix it up with Razor Leaf and BAir. Sneaking in NAirs to get the strings of hits in is a good idea, but again, you have to sneak them in as a UTilt, angled FTilt, or Spotdodge > DSmash will eat you up.

Charizard;
-I suck at charizard so I'm not gonna give advice there. Sorry gaiz. D:

Off Stage:

Squirtle;
-I'd personally recover low against a squirtle, which is bad news for squirtle. If you go down to try and edge guard, you're either gonna get eaten by a rising UAir, FAir, or a BAir depending on where you put yourself. There's really nothing you can do about it due to his disjointedness. The best option here would most likely be to water gun him a bunch and try to force him to recover high. If he recovers high, FAir/BAir from a low angle will usually hit. Just be wary of NAirs. They're a bit slow so you should be able to see them, but yeah.

Ivysaur;
-Don't even bother going off stage. ROB's up is faster than most characters can DI back to the stage so if you get hit out there, it will be hard to get within vine range before ROB can grab the edge. It's just not worth the risk that is posed for Ivy, especially with ROB's BAir being fire based. (recovering BAirs once we manage to get past you ftw)

'Zard;
-Skipping again. Sorry.

In the air:

All;
-Just come at him from as low an angle as possible. Be wary of the NAir, it's not too hard to see coming. Use moves that hit him upwards. That's about all there is to it.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ivy should never leave the stage when fighting anyone really.

Toby.

Smash Master
(facepalm) OK, obviously I'm not the best (I'll admit that), but COME ON PEOPLE! The aerial dodge has to have it's uses. How come I don't see it mentioned all the time (Charizard can air dodge projectiles, and possibly the nair too). This should be considered from now on.
Charizard, the reason people don't mention it often is because its so glaringly obvious. The crazy airdodge mechanics are one of the reasons that brawl has so few true combos.

Furthermore, air dodging something like the gyro is actually GOOD for ROB. This is because he is forcing you to suffer a bout of lag which has a predetermined ending point. It makes it verrrry easy for him to trap you. At the least you will probably get a laser.

Back to the discussion. Charizard will get hurt if he ends up above ROB. Utilt-> Utilt-> rising Uair is win against large characters. Charizard is also going to have a lot of trouble getting past the spam. The biggest problem is the gyro, which can be placed in all sorts of frustrating places and serves a similar role to diddy's bananas, making for some annoying traps. Once we get past that theres a very fast, long ranged ftilt to consider.

ROB is an excellent gimper. To make matters worse his laser is great at finishing people off after he's sent them flying. Make sure you are watching ROB in these situations. The start up lag on the laser consists of him suddenly moving his head back - if you keep an eye out for that animation, you'll have a much better chance of surviving.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Does squirtle have anything against spotdodge -> dsmash? I am pretty sure dsmash gets rid of most of squirtle's ground game.
In my opinion he doesn't need it. This is one of those match-ups where I almost all but give up on the ground-game and work with the air game mostly. ROB is a big target and I find him incredibly easy to hurt if you put him in the air. You need to do a lot of landing behind the shield and full-jumped aerials to keep yourself safe, but I always find ROB is a little sluggish versus Squirtle.

Major concerns for Squirtle are the tilts, especially Ftilt/Dtilt (I really hate the tripping on Dtilt), but otherwise Squirtle can weave through the rest of the attacks pretty well. Squirtle's even got a little resistance on Usmash, Bair, and Dair, but don't expect it to save you a lot.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Squirtle has Dair,jab combo,Utilt,Uair,Bair and Fair as great options against ROB, you can do pretty well by just using those attacks, oh, and the throws obviously
robs ftilt is not that big deal for zard, he is his Dtilt
BTW... how does laser and gyro behave when they hit flametrower??

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty sure ROB overall owns the PT.

Better camping, and can easily gimp all three.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
ROB has way better camping than the three Pokemon, so they will have to approach him. For Squirtle, this doesn't hurt so much since he's small and agile. For Ivysaur and Charizard, it sucks massively and gets them grabbed easily. A laser will interrupt any attempts for them to spam back even if they get within the range where they can hit ROB with a projectile.

Once he B-throws you off stage, you're in a significant positional disadvantage. It's really hard to DI his throws on reaction because they are ****ing fast so chances are you will end up really far from the stage at a horizontal angle.

Since ROB has the ability to hover anywhere, and since the PT has a ton of predictable recoveries, gimping them should not be particularly hard.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I main ROB, and I can tell you that Ivysaur and Charizard are pieces of cake. Charizard is a huge target that gets owned by the projectiles, and any decent ROB can edgeguard Ivysaur to hell and back. They are very easy matchups. It isn't even close.

Squirtile is the only one of the three that has a chance.

BTW... how does laser and gyro behave when they hit flametrower??

I know that the Laser goes through. Not too sure about the gyro.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Anyone can edgeguard Ivysaur to hell, you're hardly explaining what ROB has on Ivysaur but recovery. I'm sick of people only talking about their recoveries, and not anything else they can do.

Sudai

Stuff here
Gyro bounces off the flames, charged or not.

Onxy, I offered more than comments on their recovery. >.> I mean, most of what I said was probably said already cause I didn't read the rest of the post, but at least I tried to be constructive? XD

Koga

Smash Journeyman
I get that Ivy's recovery is bad and suseptable to edge guarding, but razor leaf is a pretty good projectile and ivy's vines have pretty good range, i don't see what R.O.B has on Ivy that's so overwhelming, and once Squirtle gets into him that's a pretty good amount of damage you can generally count on via dthrow--> shell shifted arials.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The thing about ROB edgeguarding Ivysaur is that whereas some characters actually have to work carefully to ensure Ivysaur doesn't get back (not to mention they might take a hit in the process), ROB has so many options available to edgeguard Ivysaur that she should never be returning to the stage once she's off. F-airs are pretty gay, and a laser as she uses her midair jump is also deadly.

Ivysaur is not good at approaching, but has to find away to do so to get around ROB's camping. Her ability to use Razor Leaf is also hindered by lasers, since if she is read correctly, a well placed laser will hit her before she throws a leaf.

ROB also has a gigantic F-tilt and a 1 frame D-smash which are both a chore to work around for Ivysaur, and a well-timed shieldgrab usually should equal death for her.

N-air and B-air can pretty viably KO Ivysaur too.

Ivysaur vs ROB IMO is a 9/1 matchup.

Onxy

Smash Lord
The thing about ROB edgeguarding Ivysaur is that whereas some characters actually have to work carefully to ensure Ivysaur doesn't get back (not to mention they might take a hit in the process), ROB has so many options available to edgeguard Ivysaur that she should never be returning to the stage once she's off. F-airs are pretty gay, and a laser as she uses her midair jump is also deadly.

Ivysaur is not good at approaching, but has to find away to do so to get around ROB's camping. Her ability to use Razor Leaf is also hindered by lasers, since if she is read correctly, a well placed laser will hit her before she throws a leaf.

ROB also has a gigantic F-tilt and a 1 frame D-smash which are both a chore to work around for Ivysaur, and a well-timed shieldgrab usually should equal death for her.

N-air and B-air can pretty viably KO Ivysaur too.

Ivysaur vs ROB IMO is a 9/1 matchup.
Ohhhho.... I actually hate you now. Leave please. You have only said negative things about Ivysaur only, and never mentioned ANY of her strengths. You didn't mention that her Bullet Seed is 1 frame. You never mentioned that Ivy's Ftilt actually has more reach than his Ftilt. All of her attacks are basically quicker than ROB's. His Dsmash does not come out in one frame. I tested it, it's slower than her Bullet Seed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
And that's supposed to be your argument why I'm wrong?

UNLESS IF I'M SORELY MISTAKEN, Ivysaur pretty much only has midair jump -> air dodge -> Up-B when recovering against ROB. None of her aerials can viably react to ROB's edgeguarding, which basically leaves ROB the single task of anticipating an air dodge and landing a hit.

She might not even be able to air dodge if she wasn't ready to DI.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I know Ivy has a bad recovery, and ANYONE can abuse it. I'm only reading how biased you actually are towards Ivysaur. 9/1? Are you insane? Not even Falcon has it like that to MK. What's next, a 12/-2, 15/-5, or even higher? You are only proving how ignorant you are to Pokemon Trainer.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay, so Bullet Seed might come out on one frame and ROB's is slightly slower. It doesn't have very good horizontal range. ROB's D-smash has good horizontal range and is safe on block or miss.

ROB's F-tilt, D-tilt, Jab, and F-air are pretty much faster than all of her attacks. ROB's D-tilt pretty much can't be punished if I recall correctly, and it causes tripping, which can get him combos into other stuff.

Ivysaur's advantages don't matter much however when the only thing ROB needs to do is shieldgrab, B-throw, and read an air dodge. She doesn't have any reliable gimps on ROB, and she can't try to play keep away from ROB because that will get her projectile camped. The matchup forces Ivysaur to approach ROB, and when she inevitably does, it's quite easy for ROB to set up a gimp.

Captain Falcon and Ganondorf probably lose 9/1 to MK. They can't approach him at all because F-airs stop EVERYTHING they do, and once they are off stage, they will get gimped.

Top Bottom